Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan1313

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by laxfan1313 »

Here's an interesting highlight reel from yesterday's game. Just the faceoffs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RKvqL5FKE&t=670s
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 am Here's an interesting highlight reel from yesterday's game. Just the faceoffs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RKvqL5FKE&t=670s
Psyllos was awesome yesterday. He battled so hard on every faceoff. He is a warrior who took just about every faceoff yesterday, and even the ones he lost, he battled for, and still never gave up, many times helping to double or triple the Yale player who had possession.

Some people thought we were doomed when Jack went down, but Mark and Angelo are very capable. Cornell is fine at the X, and when Jack comes back next year, we will be even stronger.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:51 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:34 am
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:12 pm Teat, a 13 point night,

https://www.nll.com/game/686530851/sask ... 024-03-23/
BEST Lacrosse player on the PLANET.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
NORTH AMERICA would suffice…… the “pro lacrosse” guys picked up that nomenclature from the NBA to make it sound more impressive. Is there really a lacrosse player in south america, Europe, Africa or Asia that would break into the top 1000?…..Teat is excellent though. No argument from me.
How about down under? They have produced some top level D1 talent at times.

I don't know, "Best player on the Planet" has a great ring to it, and Teat, unquestionably is.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Just a pet peeve of mine when pro guys picked up the usage after the NBA guys started making the claim in the media…. Until I see otherwise, best player in North America will suffice (for me anyway)…. Good win yesterday. The Tigers are going to regret having that game last weekend slip away when they are taking the bus up to Ithaca in late April/May.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
another fan

Post by another fan »

Great team effort by Cornell against Yale. As an an aside, I was curious why the illegal stick call against Yale resulted in a 1 minute non-releaseable penalty rather than 3 minutes. If anybody else had the same question, here is an explanation for when an illegal stick penalty results in a 1 minute or 3 minute penalty:

The Equipment

All players must wear helmets, shoulder pads, gloves and mouthpieces. Full arm pads or arm guards are usually worn by middies and attackmen with defenseman using a smaller set of pads typically called elbow pads, and rib pads have also become popular with offensive players in more recent times. In addition, goalies wear a chest protector and a throat protector. The sticks used are generally made of molded plastic with either a nylon mesh (various types) or a leather and nylon woven pocket (called traditional), with either an aluminum, titanium or alloy handle and even some form of wood (hickory). The sticks vary in length from 40 to 72 inches, depending upon the position played. Sticks can be ruled illegal for either a deep pocket or an illegal crosse; to narrow acrosse the top of the stick (head of the stick) or to short in stick length. A deep pocket brings a 1-minute non-releasable penalty and stick is allowed to be fixed after the penalty time is served. An illegal crosse brings a 3-minute non-releasable penalty, this crosse is not allowed back in the field of play for the remainder of the game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:51 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:34 am
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:12 pm Teat, a 13 point night,

https://www.nll.com/game/686530851/sask ... 024-03-23/
BEST Lacrosse player on the PLANET.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
NORTH AMERICA would suffice…… the “pro lacrosse” guys picked up that nomenclature from the NBA to make it sound more impressive. Is there really a lacrosse player in south america, Europe, Africa or Asia that would break into the top 1000?…..Teat is excellent though. No argument from me.
How about down under? They have produced some top level D1 talent at times.

I don't know, "Best player on the Planet" has a great ring to it, and Teat, unquestionably is.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
My boy Nat Roost was a rockstar at Bart and all American from the land of Vegomite sandwiches.

Now like us all he looks like a dad…

https://www.ey.com/en_us/people/nathan-roost

Used to be a lot of news stories on him but from Perth

https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=12188
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Let's just say that Teat is the best player in this solar system and leave it at that.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:20 am Let's just say that Teat is the best player in this solar system and leave it at that.
So now your breaking news that he’s the new antagonist in marvel movies too? Damn!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... -pick/amp/
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:21 pm LaxRef guy was nice enough to update his numbers a few minutes ago,

Cornell is now #2 RPI. Yale remains #1.
Were there late games that significantly impacted the RPI? Only one I can think of is the G'Town/Richmond game, and I caon't imagine it moving the numbers all that much.

Anyway, Cornell is now showing #4 in RPI (behind Yale, PSU, ND), not #2.

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ifospeivmd
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

another fan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:53 am Great team effort by Cornell against Yale. As an an aside, I was curious why the illegal stick call against Yale resulted in a 1 minute non-releaseable penalty rather than 3 minutes. If anybody else had the same question, here is an explanation for when an illegal stick penalty results in a 1 minute or 3 minute penalty:

The Equipment

All players must wear helmets, shoulder pads, gloves and mouthpieces. Full arm pads or arm guards are usually worn by middies and attackmen with defenseman using a smaller set of pads typically called elbow pads, and rib pads have also become popular with offensive players in more recent times. In addition, goalies wear a chest protector and a throat protector. The sticks used are generally made of molded plastic with either a nylon mesh (various types) or a leather and nylon woven pocket (called traditional), with either an aluminum, titanium or alloy handle and even some form of wood (hickory). The sticks vary in length from 40 to 72 inches, depending upon the position played. Sticks can be ruled illegal for either a deep pocket or an illegal crosse; to narrow acrosse the top of the stick (head of the stick) or to short in stick length. A deep pocket brings a 1-minute non-releasable penalty and stick is allowed to be fixed after the penalty time is served. An illegal crosse brings a 3-minute non-releasable penalty, this crosse is not allowed back in the field of play for the remainder of the game.
From where I was sitting, and watching the refs inspect the stick, it looked like they simply thought that the pocket was too deep.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Kirst, Ivy League offensive player of the week.

2nd time this year tieing Brandau as a two-time winner.

Congrats CJ.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

Don’t like QK much, but his write up today on Cornell was quite accurate

While I’m hoping Davis and Bozzi come back very soon, I think the bigger issue on D is at close… and specifically it’s related to undisciplined or no sliding + poor communication

That said - I like Blake at SSDM and love Gilmartin

Davis/Bozzi eventual return can also help us get creative on wings for FOs - though I acknowledge that most good FoGos these days are winning draws to themselves…
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

It's been a strong two weeks for the Big Red on the field. Not perfect by any means - but a foundation for additional growth. From here the games in which we are favored are key - Penn, Brown, Harvard and Dart. Singular focus on each game will be needed. Each of those teams can beat us.
Harvard will be a particular challenge with their offense. Then the opportunities against Syr and ND will be fantastic. Its what a team should strive for - chances to play the best. Hopefully our SOS will provide the year end bump we need it to come selection Sunday.

Before a quick breakdown of the Yale game - worth mentioning the mad respect we have for Yale. Yes - we bicker and fight with them every time and know that to win the Ivy you have to take them down. Our programs have an intense rivalry. Very well coached with a ton of talent. Keep in mind they are missing two starting attack!! We have key injuries also (5, 7, 20) - but we would be remiss not to acknowledge theirs. And 41 is just a terrific player. They are not going away any time soon this year and will be there in the end. But a tip of the cap at this juncture is in order.

On to the game. Keys were obviously the attack production and faceoffs. I won't go into the attack play as we could wax poetically about it for paragraphs. A dangerous and unselfish unit - great to behold. 3 was a warrior. It didn't show in the stat sheet but he made some crucial plays. I think he wore their 37 down as he did not return down the stretch. I thought we were also better off the ground generally as well. 45 actually did a terrific job on Brandau (despite his stat sheet). I thought 33 was very good all day. 55 made some key stops at important times and outplayed the other goalie. But we can and need to get better. There are still a few glaring, repeated breakdowns that show only slight improvement.

I offer these areas for improvement only in hopes we can take our play to the next level. They are certainly hypercritical - but the really good teams seem to do it all!

Ball protection/decisions in transition. I still feel like certain turnovers need to be addressed. Our lsms, ssdms and occasionally poles carry the ball when they should pass and pass the ball when they should carry. Examples include 77 making a 40 yard pass to a covered pole on a clear in 1H. TO. Tuck your stick and run past people!! He is very athletic and can move. 50 comes up with nice loose ball but carries it 10 yards too far and TO. Flip it to the attack who came up as a release valve! 2 gets nice GB on faceoff but leaves stick open to check. Tuck the stick and run! Again - these may be small in the grand scheme - but 3-4 possessions a game can be saved and in a tie playoff game they can be the difference. Great effort - just need to be a little smarter and more aware.

I would still like to see more two man on offense where players re-dodge several times if the first does not succeed. I think 15 is the only one the does this consistently. And when we are killing time - there is no need to set a pick near the ball. late in the game 42 gets moving pick call when there is no reason to be near the ball! Be smarter. Nothing good comes from having players too close to each other in that situation. Avoid the midline and sidelines when killing time. Even big 27 fell victim to this late. It turned out to be inconsequential - but let's coach these things away now!

Finally, again we can focus more on defense of not letting dodgers get to the middle of the field with no pressure on hands. I realize easy for me to say - but an emphasis on keeping offensive players as wide as possible into the alleys and behind the cage is always a good basic thought to focus on.

Having said all of that - great effort and overall execution by all involved. Princeton and Yale are two high quality teams. Our coaches once again rise to the occasion and have the team ready to go. Proud to be a fan. Looking forward to Penn and a strong focus on fundamentals. If we do that well - our talent can then take over!!

Humbly submitted,
VF

LGR!!!!!!!!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Great and specific summary as always, VF! I was going to post a thought before I read yours. Generally, I think that this week's rankings are quite fair. Based on what I saw on Saturday, this team has the potential to make it to the Final Four if all cylinders are firing and players stay healthy.

In respect to comments about defense, looking at our defense holistically, I was impressed on Saturday. Players were making their slides, we had some very effective double teams and caused turn-overs. Tully made some great saves. I didn't see very many pure defensive "let downs" that seem to have been an occasional issue in the Princeton and PSU games. Most goals scored by Yale were based on pure talent in terms of "impossible angle" shots, pure power shots and excellent dodging. Brandau is really a great player.

The only real shortcoming that I saw on Saturday against Yale were occasional difficulty in clearing and (while I don't have the statistics in front of me), it seemed that Yale was more effective at contested ground balls.

Go Big Red!
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Following-up these excellent comments, one thing that may skew our defensive stats is that because of our offensive prowess we tend to score often and quickly, and since we have faced several teams with excellent faceoff units, those factors have given our opponents more possessions than in an "average" game. This thought came to me yesterday as I was watching the Penn State-Ohio State game. While OSU held PSU to 12 goals, that wasn't necessarily because OSU's defense was particularly exceptional; rather, OSU's methodical (some would say plodding) offense repeatedly used the entire shot clock (and they did have several shot clock violations), which limited PSUs total possessions. Ultimately PSU pulled away later in the game, but didn't put up the type of numbers they have against faster-paced opponents, including of course Cornell.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxjuris wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:35 pm Following-up these excellent comments, one thing that may skew our defensive stats is that because of our offensive prowess we tend to score often and quickly, and since we have faced several teams with excellent faceoff units, those factors have given our opponents more possessions than in an "average" game. This thought came to me yesterday as I was watching the Penn State-Ohio State game. While OSU held PSU to 12 goals, that wasn't necessarily because OSU's defense was particularly exceptional; rather, OSU's methodical (some would say plodding) offense repeatedly used the entire shot clock (and they did have several shot clock violations), which limited PSUs total possessions. Ultimately PSU pulled away later in the game, but didn't put up the type of numbers they have against faster-paced opponents, including of course Cornell.
Very true, much like the old Mount Saint Mary's basketball teams that used to play at a break neck pace, take a shot after an average of about 9 seconds and score 120 points. Teams that played them ,normally averaging about 70 points, would still put up a 100+, just because of the pace of the game.

Sure, Cornell could take 80 seconds every possession and slow the game with less possessions, but when you have arguably, the best attack, and offense in D1, then you play to your strength, and dare teams to match your great offense. So far, only PSU has slowed down the Cornell offense.

Penn plays great defense so should be their strength against our strength. Makes for a fascinating matchup.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

loyola marymount? long live hank gathers.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:03 pm loyola marymount? long live hank gathers.
Yup, I was wrong, it WAS Loyola Marymount.

Thanks for fixing my mistake.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:10 pm Great and specific summary as always, VF! I was going to post a thought before I read yours. Generally, I think that this week's rankings are quite fair. Based on what I saw on Saturday, this team has the potential to make it to the Final Four if all cylinders are firing and players stay healthy.

In respect to comments about defense, looking at our defense holistically, I was impressed on Saturday. Players were making their slides, we had some very effective double teams and caused turn-overs. Tully made some great saves. I didn't see very many pure defensive "let downs" that seem to have been an occasional issue in the Princeton and PSU games. Most goals scored by Yale were based on pure talent in terms of "impossible angle" shots, pure power shots and excellent dodging. Brandau is really a great player.

The only real shortcoming that I saw on Saturday against Yale were occasional difficulty in clearing and (while I don't have the statistics in front of me), it seemed that Yale was more effective at contested ground balls.

Go Big Red!
I couldn't watch the PSU game, but from others' descriptions and what I've seen since, our D is making steady improvement. I have to believe that Jorden Stevens has been largely responsible for the improvement. Just look at how often the shot clock became a factor in the Yale game. If I am correct, this is great news for the Big Red because our defense is improving by leaps and bounds. If this is due to the defense is being coached up, as I believe, then each week should see our defense becoming more and more formidable.
semsox

Post by semsox »

laxjuris wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:35 pm Following-up these excellent comments, one thing that may skew our defensive stats is that because of our offensive prowess we tend to score often and quickly, and since we have faced several teams with excellent faceoff units, those factors have given our opponents more possessions than in an "average" game. This thought came to me yesterday as I was watching the Penn State-Ohio State game. While OSU held PSU to 12 goals, that wasn't necessarily because OSU's defense was particularly exceptional; rather, OSU's methodical (some would say plodding) offense repeatedly used the entire shot clock (and they did have several shot clock violations), which limited PSUs total possessions. Ultimately PSU pulled away later in the game, but didn't put up the type of numbers they have against faster-paced opponents, including of course Cornell.
While this is true from a raw GA/game metric, there are more sophisticated defensive metrics which would take this pace into account. Coincidentally, IL just published their mid-season offensive and defensive efficiency rankings this evening, which is the more 'fair' accounting that you seem to be seeking here: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/62928.

Unsurprising to those in this thread, but our offense grades out very well, with the #2 raw and adjusted offensive efficiency (behind Notre Dame). I'd tend to think that we even have a higher ceiling than has been shown so far as Goldstein is more fully integrated into the attack mix.

For defense, we grade out as basically the median defense (#38 out of 76 D1 teams) in terms of adjusted defensive efficiency, so not great, but also maybe not as bad as it's been made out to be. Curiously, given the narrative of the Ivy being 'defense optional' this year from a number of commentators, Princeton has the #1 adjusted defensive efficiency, and Penn is also in the Top 10. I'd like to think the defense still has plenty of room to improve, as I don't think it's a talent issue at close D or in the cage. Hopefully continued scheme adjustments and better communication can lead to better results.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”