Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:38 am Completely agree, postpone this one until tomorrow.
It's really just stupid to play in these kind of conditions.
Nothing good about it for players or fans.
Oh, and you don't have to be frozen to enjoy chicken soup.
Is Boheim available for a job opening down here in Ithaca?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

This is such a big and potentially entertaining game. Why play in this weather? If snow is going to be on the field, postpone the game until tomorrow.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:51 am This is such a big and potentially entertaining game. Why play in this weather? If snow is going to be on the field, postpone the game until tomorrow.
Absolutely!!!

Gobigred
Joewillie78
mfp

Post by mfp »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:36 am WOW, OUR BASKETBALL COACH JUST RESIGNED. TAKING THE WILLIAM AND MARY HEAD COACHING JOB!!!!!!
Noooooo!!! That sucks. Can't blame him but the men's basketball team was building a strong *program*. Hopefully, his successor will be able to continue that progress.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

mfp wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:29 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:36 am WOW, OUR BASKETBALL COACH JUST RESIGNED. TAKING THE WILLIAM AND MARY HEAD COACHING JOB!!!!!!
Noooooo!!! That sucks. Can't blame him but the men's basketball team was building a strong *program*. Hopefully, his successor will be able to continue that progress.
Mfp,
Great coach and even better person. I remember when he first came. I was sitting way up top of the crescent on a beautiful day for football, and sitting next to me was a gentlemen with 3 kids I think and I overheard him talking basketball and the Cornell team. I introduced myself, NOT knowing who he was, and told him I go to all the games, do you? He said matter of factly " I will now as my name is Brian Earl and I am the new head Coach for Cornell". I almost fell off my seat. Spent the next 2 hours talking Cornell basketball and forgot about the Football game.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
mfp

Post by mfp »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:42 am
mfp wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:29 am
Mfp,
Great coach and even better person. I remember when he first came. I was sitting way up top of the crescent on a beautiful day for football, and sitting next to me was a gentlemen with 3 kids I think and I overheard him talking basketball and the Cornell team. I introduced myself, NOT knowing who he was, and told him I go to all the games, do you? He said matter of factly " I will now as my name is Brian Earl and I am the new head Coach for Cornell". I almost fell off my seat. Spent the next 2 hours talking Cornell basketball and forgot about the Football game.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Great story. I love hearing things like that. I wish Coach Earl the best. I want the best for Cornell and the kids on the team too, of course, so hopefully they will find another great person and great coach.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:42 am ...and forgot about the Football game.
If memory serves, that's usually for the best.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yale playing a Matador defensive scheme.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Big Red takes down the bulldogs, 18-15
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Great Victory! Ryan Goldstein - 5 goals; CJ Kirst 4-4; Mike Long 3-4. 13 saves for Tully. Importantly, 11 of the 18 goals were assisted. 3/5 extra man. A real team victory. Next up Penn!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

As of noon, Yale's RPI was well ahead of the #2 team,

so obviously this goes a long way towards NCAA tournie-dom.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Woo-Hoo. Wow, what a game. First, it was frigging cold but, man did I stay warm in the 2nd half when Cornell put the game away.

Wow, where do I start? Psyllos just battled his butt off all game, and won some real important faceoffs when Cornell went from 12-11 to 17-11. Many times, even when they lost the face off, they harassed the ball carrier causing multiple turnovers. Staub and Dooley especially on caused turnovers.

Blake was all over the field scooping up ground balls, taking clears by himself, and then obviously an offensive threat once in the offensive zone.

Nikolic, Firth and Wirthem were scoring threats all day, and big #27 just carried the load when they needed him.

Goldstein, Long, and of course CJ (4,4) were basically unstoppable, and this is arguably the best attack in D1.

Tully made some big saves and some very timely saves whenever Yale made a run.

Yale was #1 RPI coming in so a huge resume builder for the Red, but more importantly 2-0 in the Ivies, as they try to secure home field for the tournament.

Just a great win and man, the Gin and Tonic and homemade chicken soup is tasting really good with this win.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Was there an illegal stick in this game? Did someone get Daly-ed or did the refs see it?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Glad you were there in person to represent us scattered alums, jw!
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Marc Psyllos is an unsung hero. While his win percentage is not high, he seems to figure out his opponents over the course of the game and come up big down the stretch. He just figures out how best to compete for a posession. Note he took almost all the FO’s for Cornell while Yale rotated for rests. He is just a gutsy player.

Holding Yale without a goal during the three minute unreleasable early on was big. I replayed that hit several times and I think 3 minutes was much too severe. Curious what others thought? Fortunately it had no bearing on the outcome this time.

Great team win!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:40 pm Was there an illegal stick in this game? Did someone get Daly-ed or did the refs see it?
Refs saw it. They were all over it immediately after the goal (which was taken off).

And FWIW I completely endorse playing by the rules. If Daly saw an illegal stick, his duty was to challenge it.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:40 pm Was there an illegal stick in this game? Did someone get Daly-ed or did the refs see it?
Yes, a Yale guy got caught. 1 minute non-releasable & the Big Red scored.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:38 pm Woo-Hoo. Wow, what a game. First, it was frigging cold but, man did I stay warm in the 2nd half when Cornell put the game away.

Wow, where do I start? Psyllos just battled his butt off all game, and won some real important faceoffs when Cornell went from 12-11 to 17-11. Many times, even when they lost the face off, they harassed the ball carrier causing multiple turnovers. Staub and Dooley especially on caused turnovers.

Blake was all over the field scooping up ground balls, taking clears by himself, and then obviously an offensive threat once in the offensive zone.

Nikolic, Firth and Wirthem were scoring threats all day, and big #27 just carried the load when they needed him.

Goldstein, Long, and of course CJ (4,4) were basically unstoppable, and this is arguably the best attack in D1.

Tully made some big saves and some very timely saves whenever Yale made a run.

Yale was #1 RPI coming in so a huge resume builder for the Red, but more importantly 2-0 in the Ivies, as they try to secure home field for the tournament.

Just a great win and man, the Gin and Tonic and homemade chicken soup is tasting really good with this win.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The starting attack combined for 20 points. The two greatest attacks in Cornell history French, Levine & Trenz and French, Levine & McEneaney averaged between 15 and 16 points/game. Impressive showing today. Incidentally, the attack with Trenz had a slightly greater average points/game than the one with Eamon.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

RedIvy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:42 pm Marc Psyllos is an unsung hero. While his win percentage is not high, he seems to figure out his opponents over the course of the game and come up big down the stretch. He just figures out how best to compete for a posession. Note he took almost all the FO’s for Cornell while Yale rotated for rests. He is just a gutsy player.

Holding Yale without a goal during the three minute unreleasable early on was big. I replayed that hit several times and I think 3 minutes was much too severe. Curious what others thought? Fortunately it had no bearing on the outcome this time.

Great team win!
RedIvy,
Live, the hit looked hard, but not egregious.

The score I think at the time was 2-1 Yale, and I'm not sure I can even remember Yale getting a shot off and then Cornell finally getting possession and scoring to make it 2-2.

I remember thinking that Yale could easily be up 3 or 4-1, when this penalty is over, and for them to NOT score and Cornell immediately tie it was huge.

That stick was so illegal, and such an easy call for the Ref.

By the way, Yale had a great contingent that braved the elements. Good on them to support their great team.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I went to the game in an usual opportunity to be back in Ithaca. A few brief observations:

1) Tully was outstanding in goal. I don't think that his statistics on the day do complete justice to how successfully he kept us in the game.

2) Yale is very good. It's quite an accomplishment to beat them.

3) Field conditions were slippery in parts, and it looked like players' hands were cold at times.

4) Cornell played a remarkable game. Our face-off performance exceed expectations.

5) The offense is really strong. We needed to work for every goal.

6) The clearing game was Cornell's only notable weakness.

Well done to the Big Red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”