Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joatmon

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by joatmon »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:18 pm I did catch myself thinking that if the Ivy League had an "11th player award" or "grittiest player award" Marc Psyllos should get it; what an absolute warrior that guy is.
I really enjoy watching Marc. I can't help but remember the Looney Toons character: the Tasmanian Devil
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (28.56 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

I had the good fortune to be at the game today. It would be great if Cornell could play a game on LI every season. Just a great atmosphere before the game in the parking lot and in a standing room only stadium. The stands were packed and there were spectators on the grass behind both goals.

Just a heart breaking loss today. I too feared a blow out coming into this game. One thing I can say is that I don't think there is a team that has more grit and heart than Cornell. Early on, ND looked bigger, faster, and stronger. When it was 6-2, I thought it might be a long afternoon, but I commented that "we had right where want them." I was joking, but it was somewhat prophetic. It looked difficult at halftime down 11-7 too.

I don't know what Buczek does at halftime, but this team always seems to play much better in the second half. Cornell played a tremendous 3rd quarter and it was back and forth in the 4th quarter.

The attack was outstanding today. I challenge anybody to make a case how this is not the best attack unit in college lax after today. 21 points from Kirst, Long, and Goldstein. Kudos to Psyllos. He is just incredibly gritty and keyed the 3rd quarter comeback, particularly on a day when they faced a a ND team that clears exceptionally well. The extra possessions just were not coming from the ride, so a 50% face off win rate was essential. Knust was great as well.

Kelleher, First, and Wirtheim were on their games as well. The defense played better than the score would indicate.

The last two minutes were just an unfortunate way to end such a great game. First, the missed call on the clear push with possession when Singer picked up the loose ball with 1:30 left was baffling. He picked up the ground ball and took two steps and was shoved to the ground. I don't care if it's the first minute or last, that is a penalty. At minimum, call a loose ball push and give Cornell the ball.

The wrap check on Goldstein with 40 seconds left was just unfortunate. I think he passed up the pass to the player streaking up field because it was Box. Still, the pass was probably the play there. The range of emotions on that sequence went from frustration over the no call to elation with the ND turnover to despair . Then Kavanaugh throws an errant pass with 8 seconds left and the ground ball somehow ends up in a ND stick.

It is clear to me that the teams in the top 10-15 can each beat the other. They are all evenly matched. Any claim that one team is clearly better than another is pure garbage. There is real parity this season and the tournament is wide open. No team or conference is dominant . Not even close.

Again, what a great coaching job by Buczek and Stevens today. Nothing to be ashamed of. Just disappointment that things did not bounce their way and frustration at the non-call at a crucial point in the game.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:06 pm Then Kavanaugh throws an errant pass with 8 seconds left and the ground ball somehow ends up in a ND stick.
Was it my imagination, or did ND score on an unusually high number of such plays today. I remember a couple in the first quarter, where it looked like Cornell made the stop and somehow by a fluke bounce it ended up in an ND player's stick right in front of the goal. There was a nice Knust save, I think in the 3rd, where the ball popped just a few inches out of his stick off the save right into an ND stick for a behind-the-back goal. And it seems like there were a couple additional goals like this.

Don't get me wrong: have to applaud their opportunism. But man, it seemed like the got the bounce an unusual number of times today.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:14 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:06 pm Then Kavanaugh throws an errant pass with 8 seconds left and the ground ball somehow ends up in a ND stick.
Was it my imagination, or did ND score on an unusually high number of such plays today. I remember a couple in the first quarter, where it looked like Cornell made the stop and somehow by a fluke bounce it ended up in an ND player's stick right in front of the goal. There was a nice Knust save, I think in the 3rd, where the ball popped just a few inches out of his stick off the save right into an ND stick for a behind-the-back goal. And it seems like there were a couple additional goals like this.

Don't get me wrong: have to applaud their opportunism. But man, it seemed like they got the bounce an unusual number of times today.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:06 pm I had the good fortune to be at the game today. It would be great if Cornell could play a game on LI every season. Just a great atmosphere before the game in the parking lot and in a standing room only stadium. The stands were packed and there were spectators on the grass behind both goals.

Just a heart breaking loss today. I too feared a blow out coming into this game. One thing I can say is that I don't think there is a team that has more grit and heart than Cornell. Early on, ND looked bigger, faster, and stronger. When it was 6-2, I thought it might be a long afternoon, but I commented that "we had right where want them." I was joking, but it was somewhat prophetic. It looked difficult at halftime down 11-7 too.

I don't know what Buczek does at halftime, but this team always seems to play much better in the second half. Cornell played a tremendous 3rd quarter and it was back and forth in the 4th quarter.

The attack was outstanding today. I challenge anybody to make a case how this is not the best attack unit in college lax after today. 21 points from Kirst, Long, and Goldstein. Kudos to Psyllos. He is just incredibly gritty and keyed the 3rd quarter comeback, particularly on a day when they faced a a ND team that clears exceptionally well. The extra possessions just were not coming from the ride, so a 50% face off win rate was essential. Knust was great as well.

Kelleher, First, and Wirtheim were on their games as well. The defense played better than the score would indicate.

The last two minutes were just an unfortunate way to end such a great game. First, the missed call on the clear push with possession when Singer picked up the loose ball with 1:30 left was baffling. He picked up the ground ball and took two steps and was shoved to the ground. I don't care if it's the first minute or last, that is a penalty. At minimum, call a loose ball push and give Cornell the ball.

The wrap check on Goldstein with 40 seconds left was just unfortunate. I think he passed up the pass to the player streaking up field because it was Box. Still, the pass was probably the play there. The range of emotions on that sequence went from frustration over the no call to elation with the ND turnover to despair . Then Kavanaugh throws an errant pass with 8 seconds left and the ground ball somehow ends up in a ND stick.

It is clear to me that the teams in the top 10-15 can each beat the other. They are all evenly matched. Any claim that one team is clearly better than another is pure garbage. There is real parity this season and the tournament is wide open. No team or conference is dominant . Not even close.

Again, what a great coaching job by Buczek and Stevens today. Nothing to be ashamed of. Just disappointment that things did not bounce their way and frustration at the non-call at a crucial point in the game.
I was also fortunate to be there today. You’ve saved me a lot of typing because your assessment of the game mirrors my own.

I can say that as a guy who grew up in the 70’s watching the traditional team sports and really got introduced to lacrosse at Cornell, there is no more enjoyable sport to watch than a high quality D1 lacrosse game. Despite the disappointing outcome, today’s game was as entertaining a contest as I’ve seen in any sport in years. So much talent and passion on that field today.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Don't get me wrong: have to applaud their opportunism. But man, it seemed like the got the bounce an unusual number of times today.
ND's 12th and 13th goals were somewhat flukey. I was at the game and knew that both goals came off saves and some bad/weird bounces. I watched some of the game when I got home. The 12th goal was saved and then a ND player shoveled the rebound toward the goal. That was saved but bounced in the air with back spin into the goal. Knust saved the 13th goal but the rebound bounced from his stick right to an ND player who put in a BTB goal. ND got some very fortunate bounces today.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:23 pm

ND's 12th and 13th goals were somewhat flukey. I was at the game and knew that both goals came off saves and some bad/weird bounces. I watched some of the game when I got home. The 12th goal was saved and then a ND player shoveled the rebound toward the goal. That was saved but bounced in the air with back spin into the goal. Knust saved the 13th goal but the rebound bounced from his stick right to an ND player who put in a BTB goal. ND got some very fortunate bounces today.
Goldstein had a pass blast him in the chest and bounce into the cage, Cornell had some luck too. It was a hard fought game between two great teams. That’s the toughest an opponent has scrapped against ND so far this season.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Absolutely fantastic game. I'd have loved to have been there. Thanks to all for your great commentary. If Cornell can take care of business in the Ivy regular season, for once in a long time, I really like our chances in the ILT. We have a really special mix of players and coaches this season. It's deeply gratifying to see them put everything together the way that they have.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:30 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:23 pm

Goldstein had a pass blast him in the chest and bounce into the cage, Cornell had some luck too. It was a hard fought game between two great teams. That’s the toughest an opponent has scrapped against ND so far this season.
Yes. That's right. I forgot about that goal.

It was a great lacrosse game. IMO there is nothing more exciting than a well played close heart thumping D1 lax game. Today's game was thrilling. I just would have loved to see a Cornell win today for many selfish reasons, but mainly to flip the narrative on the ACC/Ivy thing on this board. When you watch a game like today's , you realize that the difference between one top 10 team and another is razor thin. Unfortunately for Cornell, this goes down as a loss, which makes those late game bounces hard to take. The committee does not take those bounces into account. ND got every bounce and call in the last 3 minutes of a tie game.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:56 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:51 pm 77 ,
I always respect your views, BUT ever since 2019, when we beat ND at ND, and we had very similar resumes, and they chose ND and left Cornell out, I will never trust the CHC again.

That's why, even though we lost today, and it's tough, BUT the more important game is Saturday against Harvard, and winning the ILT to take it out of the committee's hands.

Sorry but that's just the way I feel.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
ND was not who edged Cornell out in ‘19. It was 8-8 Hopkins who only got in off of back to back wins over Maryland.
The concern that year was that Cornell had beaten two teams, ND and Towson, that were given seeds in the NCAAs, yet was left out.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Nice to read through some of these posts. Good analysis.

I was nervous about getting shown up in this game by a top ACC squad. But the crazy thing to me is that by the end of the game, I thought Cornell was CLEARLY the better team. If anything, Cornell seemed quicker and stronger than their ACC counterparts. I was honestly expecting a more impressive physical display from ND
In my opinion, ND took big time advantage of Cornell's top shorties being out. If Cornell is healthy in that area, I'm not sure this game is even close.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

If the team can beat both Harvard and Dartmouth, then ILT hosting comes down to the results of Penn @ Princeton on 4/20 and Princeton @ Yale on 4/27. Cornell will host unless Penn beats Princeton and Princeton beats Yale; in that case, Penn hosts.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:17 pm If the team can beat both Harvard and Dartmouth, then ILT hosting comes down to the results of Penn @ Princeton on 4/20 and Princeton @ Yale on 4/27. Cornell will host unless Penn beats Princeton and Princeton beats Yale; in that case, Penn hosts.
If Cornell beats Harvard and Dartmouth and Princeton beats Penn, wouldn't Cornell host? In that case, Cornell would be 5-1, one game ahead of Penn and owning the head to head tiebreaker over Yale and Princeton.

Also, in the 3rd quarter, Ohio State is ahead of Johns Hopkins 9-5. If Ohio State wins, does that help Cornell's RPI?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:27 pm If Cornell beats Harvard and Dartmouth and Princeton beats Penn, wouldn't Cornell host?
Yes, that's covered by what I said: Cornell hosts unless Penn beats Princeton and Princeton beats Yale.
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:27 pm Also, in the 3rd quarter, Ohio State is ahead of Johns Hopkins 9-5. If Ohio State wins, does that help Cornell's RPI?
Yes, slightly. You want every team you play to win all their other games.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Lager wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:13 pm Nice to read through some of these posts. Good analysis.

I was nervous about getting shown up in this game by a top ACC squad. But the crazy thing to me is that by the end of the game, I thought Cornell was CLEARLY the better team. If anything, Cornell seemed quicker and stronger than their ACC counterparts. I was honestly expecting a more impressive physical display from ND
In my opinion, ND took big time advantage of Cornell's top shorties being out. If Cornell is healthy in that area, I'm not sure this game is even close.
ND seemed tired at the end of this game. In fact, one thing that was only noticeable if you were at the game was that ND continually was late coming back on the field after time outs. It happened on virtually every time out in the second half. The officials would blow the whistle, Cornell would take the field and ND would continue huddling for another minute or two. Buczek was clearly annoyed and was barking at the officials after every late stoppage. I'm not sure what the rule is on that. Regardless, Cornell seemed to me to have the fresher legs late in the game, for whatever that is worth.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:27 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:17 pm If the team can beat both Harvard and Dartmouth, then ILT hosting comes down to the results of Penn @ Princeton on 4/20 and Princeton @ Yale on 4/27. Cornell will host unless Penn beats Princeton and Princeton beats Yale; in that case, Penn hosts.
If Cornell beats Harvard and Dartmouth and Princeton beats Penn, wouldn't Cornell host? In that case, Cornell would be 5-1, one game ahead of Penn and owning the head to head tiebreaker over Yale and Princeton.

Also, in the 3rd quarter, Ohio State is ahead of Johns Hopkins 9-5. If Ohio State wins, does that help Cornell's RPI?
Yes. I think that's what he was saying.

If Cornell wins out, the only way they don't host the ILT is if Penn beats Princeton and Yale loses to Princeton. They lose a head-to-head tiebreaker with Penn, but win a head-to-head with Yale and a 3-way tiebreaker with Penn and Yale (on goal differential).
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Lager wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:13 pm Nice to read through some of these posts. Good analysis.

Clearly better in a game they trailed 75% of and ultimately lost? Again, Cornell is a great team, but that’s a stretch. That 3rd quarter was the worst lacrosse ND has played since the Gtown.

That said, no, the ACC is not much better than top Ivies like some on here like to pretend.
Lager

Post by Lager »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:43 pm

Clearly better in a game they trailed 75% of and ultimately lost? Again, Cornell is a great team, but that’s a stretch. That 3rd quarter was the worst lacrosse ND has played since the Gtown.

That said, no, the ACC is not much better than top Ivies like some on here like to pretend.
"The third quarter was the worst lacrosse ND has played since Gtown"

I'm sure Cornell had nothing to do with this. Anyways, it seems like there's no dominant team in college lacrosse this year. There's probably 5-10 teams that could win the natty if things break their way. The tournament will be very interesting this year. If Cornell can beat Harvard and Dartmouth AND syracuse beats UVA, I think Cornell is in.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:43 pm That 3rd quarter was the worst lacrosse ND has played since the Gtown.
Nothing to do with the opposition, of course.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Lager wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:59 pm
BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:43 pm

"The third quarter was the worst lacrosse ND has played since Gtown"

I'm sure Cornell had nothing to do with this. Anyways, it seems like there's no dominant team in college lacrosse this year. There's probably 5-10 teams that could win the natty if things break their way. The tournament will be very interesting this year. If Cornell can beat Harvard and Dartmouth AND syracuse beats UVA, I think Cornell is in.
I’d say more like 4-5 realistic competitors. Cornell is one of them. Need to get healthy and sure up things on the defensive end.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”