Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PulpExposure

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by PulpExposure »

Any team would like either player. They're both future stars.

But the one freshman I feel is a little slept on is Princeton's Kabiri. Holy crap is that kid good.
coda

Post by coda »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:11 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:12 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:53 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:17 pm
FMUBart wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:08 pm
molo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:16 pm As someone who follows the ACC closely—there is a highly regarded freshman attackman on my favorite teams and the best player on the weakest ACC team is a freshman—I’m not sure there’s a freshman attackman in the ACC that I would trade for Goldstein. He’s fundamentally sound, he doesn’t hog the ball, and he doesn’t showboat.
Not taking anything away from Goldstein, but I can think of a few freshmen ACC attackers that I'd take before him ;)
Without a doubt. I think Duffy is the easy #1 choice as a Freshmen attack. #1 reason is he gets the #1 pole and the offense is on his back. He is doing OK, plenty to critique, but he is in a terrible situation. Lot of the Freshman that are doing well are in very good situations and have limited pressure on them. You really can only guess how they will fare, when they have to shoulder the load on offense.
There's plenty of doubt. According to Massey, UNC has an SOS of 21 while Cornell's is 3. Against easier competition, Duffy is averaging 4.5 PPG. Meanwhile, against significantly tougher competition and with two attack teammates averaging 5.19 (Long) and 4.91 (Kirst) PPG, Ryan Goldstein is averaging 4.17 PPG. I wouldn't trade Ryan for anyone. I note that the Big Red attack is averaging 14.27 PPG, only about 1 point less than the historic French, Levine, McEneaney trio. Impressive although the latter rarely played more than 2 1/2 quarters.
SOS talk is a bit misleading. SOS does not correlate always to great defense. Goldstein is getting the 3rd pole and he is asked to be a cog in the machine. He is still has 11 turnovers in 5 starts. That is tied for 2nd on the Cornell team. Imagine the turnover numbers, if he was asked to QB the offense and get a #1 pole. If I go back a few pages I bet I can find some posts talking about how great Firth is also.
In twice as many games (12 vs 6) Duffy has 3 times as many turnovers (33 vs 11). Ryan boasts a 50% shot % while Duffy's is 25%. Ryan has 8 GBs in 6 games. Duffy 14 in 12 games. I'll keep Ryan.
It is like you are ignoring what I type. I just said imagine how many turnovers Goldstein would have if he was asked to run the offense vs the oppositions best pole. Just doing some quick math on this. Duffy has 128 shots, 22 assists, and 14 Gbs.. We know he has at least 164 touches this season and 33 turnovers.. That is about a 20% turnover rate. Goldstein has 32 shots, 9 assists, and 8 Gbs. That is 49 touches and 11 turnovers. That works out to a 22% turnover rate. If anything I am under-estimating Duffy's touches compared to Goldstein, since he is the main ball carrier for UNC.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:23 pm
molo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:16 pm As someone who follows the ACC closely—there is a highly regarded freshman attackman on my favorite teams and the best player on the weakest ACC team is a freshman—I’m not sure there’s a freshman attackman in the ACC that I would trade for Goldstein. He’s fundamentally sound, he doesn’t hog the ball, and he doesn’t showboat.
Not taking anything away from Goldstein, but I can think of a few freshmen ACC attackers that I'd take before him ;)
Without a doubt. I think Duffy is the easy #1 choice as a Freshmen attack. #1 reason is he gets the #1 pole and the offense is on his back. He is doing OK, plenty to critique, but he is in a terrible situation. Lot of the Freshman that are doing well are in very good situations and have limited pressure on them. You really can only guess how they will fare, when they have to shoulder the load on offense.
There's plenty of doubt. According to Massey, UNC has an SOS of 21 while Cornell's is 3. Against easier competition, Duffy is averaging 4.5 PPG. Meanwhile, against significantly tougher competition and with two attack teammates averaging 5.19 (Long) and 4.91 (Kirst) PPG, Ryan Goldstein is averaging 4.17 PPG. I wouldn't trade Ryan for anyone. I note that the Big Red attack is averaging 14.27 PPG, only about 1 point less than the historic French, Levine, McEneaney trio. Impressive although the latter rarely played more than 2 1/2 quarters.
SOS talk is a bit misleading. SOS does not correlate always to great defense. Goldstein is getting the 3rd pole and he is asked to be a cog in the machine. He is still has 11 turnovers in 5 starts. That is tied for 2nd on the Cornell team. Imagine the turnover numbers, if he was asked to QB the offense and get a #1 pole. If I go back a few pages I bet I can find some posts talking about how great Firth is also.
In twice as many games (12 vs 6) Duffy has 3 times as many turnovers (33 vs 11). Ryan boasts a 50% shot % while Duffy's is 25%. Ryan has 8 GBs in 6 games. Duffy 14 in 12 games. I'll keep Ryan.
It is like you are ignoring what I type. I just said imagine how many turnovers Goldstein would have if he was asked to run the offense vs the oppositions best pole. Just doing some quick math on this. Duffy has 128 shots, 22 assists, and 14 Gbs.. We know he has at least 164 touches this season and 33 turnovers.. That is about a 20% turnover rate. Goldstein has 32 shots, 9 assists, and 8 Gbs. That is 49 touches and 11 turnovers. That works out to a 22% turnover rate. If anything I am under-estimating Duffy's touches compared to Goldstein, since he is the main ball carrier for UNC.
Goldstein operates behind the cage and participates in running the offense. He is a more efficient shooter and makes fewer mistakes. Not every touch results in a GB a goal or an assist. Your "touches" stat is bogus. I'll keep Ryan & you can have Duffy.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

We get it, you like Ryan, despite his role with the Big Red. I'd take both Duffy and Millon over him without hesitation. Plus, Ryan's size, or lack thereof, may be an issue down the road. Also, while not a true freshman, Petro would be a great fit for Cornell as a lefty finisher is always in demand.
In any event, Ryan is doing some nice things for Cornell and he's provided some real juice to their offense.
coda

Post by coda »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:39 pm
Goldstein operates behind the cage and participates in running the offense. He is a more efficient shooter and makes fewer mistakes. Not every touch results in a GB a goal or an assist. Your "touches" stat is bogus. I'll keep Ryan & you can have Duffy.
I didnt say it was 100% accurate, but it more accurate way of painting the picture that saying SOS. Not as bad as trying to pretend that Kirst isnt the main operator on the offense. Again if anything the touches underestimate Duffy compared to Goldstein, not the other way around. All this is just another example of you trying to paint a picture that is not reality. Goldstein is doing a great job, really no need to try and misuse stats and twist things to make it more than it is.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:02 pm
I didnt say it was 100% accurate, but it more accurate way of painting the picture that saying SOS. Not as bad as trying to pretend that Kirst isnt the main operator on the offense. Again if anything the touches underestimate Duffy compared to Goldstein, not the other way around. All this is just another example of you trying to paint a picture that is not reality. Goldstein is doing a great job, really no need to try and misuse stats and twist things to make it more than it is.
You're the one twisting stats. You now claim you didn't say it was 100% accurate. But when you relied on it, you acted as if it was a winning argument. It isn't. I think this issue has been exhausted.
coda

Post by coda »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:04 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:02 pm
You're the one twisting stats. You now claim you didn't say it was 100% accurate. But when you relied on it, you acted as if it was a winning argument. It isn't. I think this issue has been exhausted.
I was trying to get you to understand there is a difference between being the main driver of the offense and getting the #1 pole and being a cog in the offense working off a Tewaaraton caliber attackman, but clearly I failed.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:08 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:01 pm Firth is a great player,
there's no doubt.

Goldstein has improved his game from the old Radnor days, for lack of better phrasing, by many multiples.
Yes. I saw him last year at Salisbury and he really struggled. Was covered by Q Kilrain though, so makes more sense now.
Ridiculous to bring this up. Irrelevant. Typical, however. Seen you write it before.
coda

Post by coda »

Gobigred wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 pm
there's no doubt.

Goldstein has improved his game from the old Radnor days, for lack of better phrasing, by many multiples.
Yes. I saw him last year at Salisbury and he really struggled. Was covered by Q Kilrain though, so makes more sense now.
Ridiculous to bring this up. Irrelevant. Typical, however. Seen you write it before.
You guys are sensitive. Reason I said it makes sense now is Q Kilrain has been covering the #1 attackmen at times for Hopkins this year. You can argue he is one of the best freshmen in the nation this year. His success this year in college has proven he was underrated at the time. Always expected him to be a good college player, but to be this good this early is surprising. Kind of changes your perspective.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CJ Kirst named to USILA Team of the Week.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Does the ACC still play lacrosse? Kidding, sort of. Once Cornell settled in, cuse was no match for Cornell. ND? Meh. I was expecting more from #1. Felt like they took advantage of Cornell's shortie injury situation, outside of that...good team, nothing special.

Goldstein over all these others. Hes still growing, but you can't coach the quickness required to create your own shot, and Goldstein has it.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:29 pm
Gobigred wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 pm
there's no doubt.

You guys are sensitive. Reason I said it makes sense now is Q Kilrain has been covering the #1 attackmen at times for Hopkins this year. You can argue he is one of the best freshmen in the nation this year. His success this year in college has proven he was underrated at the time. Always expected him to be a good college player, but to be this good this early is surprising. Kind of changes your perspective.
Appreciate the clarification. Not sure I'd say Goldstein was ever "underrated." Expected him to be just what we've seen and was disappointed his injury caused him to miss this season's first five games.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

Lager wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:49 pm Does the ACC still play lacrosse? Kidding, sort of. Once Cornell settled in, cuse was no match for Cornell. ND? Meh. I was expecting more from #1. Felt like they took advantage of Cornell's shortie injury situation, outside of that...good team, nothing special.

Goldstein over all these others. Hes still growing, but you can't coach the quickness required to create your own shot, and Goldstein has it.
“Can’t coach Quickness to create own space”. Best comment of the week!

Folks - let’s take a deep breath here - we are talking about 19-20 year old kids - I’m a big red guy - so I’ll root for #30 / ACC guy can root for his guy - but if he’s an ACC guy What the heck is he doing on this thread ? / both kids are talented (as is any frosh starting for an Ivy / big 10 / ACC squad) and extremely fun to watch play - high energy - skilled team first guys !

Let’s go Red!!!
SkunkApe

Post by SkunkApe »

Boys, time to focus on Harvard. What seems to be getting lost in the defensive stats is how much improved our pole unit has been. They are playing very solid, less penalties, clearing the ball well, slide rotations on time. Very happy to see the upward trajectory of this unit.
CHRLAX

Post by CHRLAX »

The best part of this conversation is that #8 from UNC has both parents that are Cornell alums and athletes. So maybe this is the right place for this discussion.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

CHRLAX wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm The best part of this conversation is that #8 from UNC has both parents that are Cornell alums and athletes. So maybe this is the right place for this discussion.
Ok, I'll play. I'll take Goldstein's dad over Duffy's dad. :D
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

SkunkApe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:36 pm Boys, time to focus on Harvard. What seems to be getting lost in the defensive stats is how much improved our pole unit has been. They are playing very solid, less penalties, clearing the ball well, slide rotations on time. Very happy to see the upward trajectory of this unit.
Girls can't take part in this discussion?
SkunkApe

Post by SkunkApe »

My bad, all can take part in the conversation.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”