Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ivyman

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by Ivyman »

But 3-9 none the less. Wanna play Penn with two weeks to stew about the egg they laid? Or Princeton with momentum and butthurt from Dooley's last second shot? :?
semsox

Post by semsox »

Ivyman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:16 am But 3-9 none the less. Wanna play Penn with two weeks to stew about the egg they laid? Or Princeton with momentum and butthurt from Dooley's last second shot? :?
If the team has bigger aspirations, then those are the types of teams they’re going to have to go through anyway. Just keep working on getting better.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

:D I work hard as hell but I can't score, and my D was always hampered by no speed. So I can only root. :lol:
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:52 pm Cornell posted side-by-side videos of Ryan Goldstein and Tim Goldstein. Interesting to see the similarities in style.
Tim Goldstein would have played for John Danowski had he not transferred.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Blake and Wirtheim are in the transfer portal.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

another fan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:04 am Blake and Wirtheim are in the transfer portal.
Last season of this extra year of eligibility, thankfully. I don't begrudge the players for wanting to play a 4th season, but I personally can't wait for it to be over. It's only the Ivy Leaguers who missed 2021 that are eligible for the extra year in 2025. Looking forward to a more even playing field in 2026 and no more 25 year olds playing college lax.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Whether through graduation or the transfer portal, Blake and Wirtheim were/are not returning.
Which leads to a related topic - take a look at next year's graduating class. Yikes. It's full of what I'll call program-foundation players. This year's freshman class is excellent, including a highly unusual 4 starters --- Goldstein, Firth, Nikolic, and Gilmartin. However, given 2025 grad losses, next year's class will have to be very special as well. If not, it will be very difficult to maintain the elite level of success we've been able to enjoy.
If I have it right, in addition to this year's graduating starters, the team will lose Long, Kirst, Bozzi, Smith, Sheehan, Graham, Kelleher, Holmes, Caddigan, Dalton, and Singer.
The bottom line - the coaching staff will have lots of work in terms of player development and recruiting. Unlike the non-Ivy competition, there are no grad or portal transfer to fill gaps - pardon the dig, but "think" Notre Dame, Maryland ('22), Georgetown, Syracuse.....

***Back to 2024:
Looking ahead to this Saturday, I previously thought it would benefit Cornell if Yale beats Princeton (and Brown beats Harvard), thereby pairing Cornell with an "easier" 1st round ILT opponent Brown, rather than Princeton. However, IF Cornell does not win the Ivy AQ, given that Cornell and Yale are so very close metrics-wise and Yale has less losses (note - the selection committee does not consider head-to-head wins/losses), it's better that Yale loses this weekend, as its RPI will fall. This might be meaningful in a possible battle for an Ivy at large bid.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:41 am Whether through graduation or the transfer portal, Blake and Wirtheim were/are not returning.
Which leads to a related topic - take a look at next year's graduating class. Yikes. It's full of what I'll call program-foundation players. This year's freshman class is excellent, including a highly unusual 4 starters --- Goldstein, Firth, Nikolic, and Gilmartin. However, given 2025 grad losses, next year's class will have to be very special as well. If not, it will be very difficult to maintain the elite level of success we've been able to enjoy.
If I have it right, in addition to this year's graduating starters, the team will lose Long, Kirst, Bozzi, Smith, Sheehan, Graham, Kelleher, Holmes, Caddigan, Dalton, and Singer.
The bottom line - the coaching staff will have lots of work in terms of player development and recruiting. Unlike the non-Ivy competition, there are no grad or portal transfer to fill gaps - pardon the dig, but "think" Notre Dame, Maryland ('22), Georgetown, Syracuse.....

***Back to 2024:
Looking ahead to this Saturday, I previously thought it would benefit Cornell if Yale beats Princeton (and Brown beats Harvard), thereby pairing Cornell with an "easier" 1st round ILT opponent Brown, rather than Princeton. However, IF Cornell does not win the Ivy AQ, given that Cornell and Yale are so very close metrics-wise and Yale has less losses (note - the selection committee does not consider head-to-head wins/losses), it's better that Yale loses this weekend, as its RPI will fall. This might be meaningful in a possible battle for an Ivy at large bid.
During a podcast I heard (don't ask me when or where) in which he was interviewed, Kirst said he'll be back again next year. IIRC, I vaguely remember a group of Cornell players withdrew their enrollment during the COVID year, thereby gaining an extra year of eligibility. Maybe this is how Kirst, a senior, did this. If so, the probably are others.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:41 am Whether through graduation or the transfer portal, Blake and Wirtheim were/are not returning.

***Back to 2024:
Kirst has an extra year of eligibility in 2025. As Ezra pointed out, he made it clear earlier this season that he will play for Cornell next year. Are Long, Kelleher and others on that list eligible for another season at Cornell as well? If Kelleher did not enroll in a Fall semester at some point, he can play another year at Cornell in 2025. But Long is already a "5th year." Does he get a 4th year if he disenrolled enough semesters to not have to graduate in May? Same question for the others who did not appear in the senior day picture but are listed as seniors or 5th years on the roster.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I think you guys may have misinterpreted my post.
Long is definitely back next year (I read somewhere that he worked at Delbarton when he withdrew). As is Kelleher. And Kirst.
It also appears of the three Canadians who entered the same year, only Cook is leaving, as presumably Dalton and Graham withdrew.
That's why I referenced that the group (call them grads or whatever) leaving in 2025 will leave very very big shoes to fill. Hence the hope/need to repeat with a excellent recruiting class who will begin school in September.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:07 pm I think you guys may have misinterpreted my post.
Long is definitely back next year (I read somewhere that he worked at Delbarton when he withdrew). As is Kelleher. And Kirst.
It also appears of the three Canadians who entered the same year, only Cook is leaving, as presumably Dalton and Graham withdrew.
That's why I referenced that the group (call them grads or whatever) leaving in 2025 will leave very very big shoes to fill. Hence the hope/need to repeat with a excellent recruiting class who will begin school in September.
That's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to make sure. I was confused by Long's designation as a "5th year" on the roster. Every team loses quite a bit from graduation now and then, but Cornell appears somewhat loaded next season with Wirtheim the only loss from the top 6 offensive players (and the 2nd mids back as well) and Follows the only loss on the other side of the field.

While they will lose Psyllos and Petrakis, they hopefully have Cascadden back. Plus Freshman Sam Ricci had a phenomenal career at Victor (75% win rate for a top program) and is bringing in a highly regarded recruit - Mike Melkonian - from South Side HS.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Chousnake wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:33 pm
VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:07 pm I think you guys may have misinterpreted my post.
That's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to make sure. I was confused by Long's designation as a "5th year" on the roster. Every team loses quite a bit from graduation now and then, but Cornell appears somewhat loaded next season with Wirtheim the only loss from the top 6 offensive players (and the 2nd mids back as well) and Follows the only loss on the other side of the field.

While they will lose Psyllos and Petrakis, they hopefully have Cascadden back. Plus Freshman Sam Ricci had a phenomenal career at Victor (75% win rate for a top program) and is bringing in a highly regarded recruit - Mike Melkonian - from South Side HS.
I know the IL stars & rankings are flawed. IIRC, both Goldstein and Firth were 4-stars. And we have 7 4-stars coming in next fall.

Nonetheless, it's worth noting that Princeton has 3 5-star recruits listed alongside 7 4-stars (w/ 4 of 10 ranked) and Y & H each have 1 5-star G. Pn has 7 4-stars, Y has 5 4-stars, H has 6 4-stars, and B has 6 4-stars.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Kirst named ivy league offensive player of the week joining Brandau as a 3 time winner of the weekly award.

He is a true top 5 Tewey nominee.

Congratulations CJ, who always comes up big at the biggest moments in the biggest games.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

I didn't realize that Brandau was this close to Rob P.

"Matt Brandau and the Bulldogs (11-2) have won seven straight games, the latest a 17-10 victory over Albany. The right-handed attacker has 94 points in 13 games while shooting 38%. The Boys’ Latin alum has 353 career points – just one away from tying former Cornell player Rob Pannell for the Ivy League record.

https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... 22nd-2024/
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

How’s this years recruiting class looking? Looks pretty heavy on defense.
coda

Post by coda »

WestVillCornell wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:53 pm How’s this years recruiting class looking? Looks pretty heavy on defense.
I dont know your class, but you are going to be very happy with Timmy Piacentini. I think he is the best goalie in the country. Also a very good athlete and is extremely valuable in the 10 man ride. Crazy part is his lax journey really started in HS. He was a hockey kid. Lefty goalie. He has already been in some serious high pressure situations, like making saves in OT to win the HS national championship
mfp

Post by mfp »

Nice story about CJ Kirst that includes interviews with CJ, Mike Long and Connor Buczek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXLZhKaeH4
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

WestVillCornell wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:53 pm How’s this years recruiting class looking? Looks pretty heavy on defense.
Yes, next year’s class is dominated by poles and midfielders, which seems logical given the talent we have coming back at attack.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:41 am note - the selection committee does not consider head-to-head wins/losses
Sometimes they do. "Head to head competition" is one of the official criteria. And in 2015, the committee chair explicitly said that some decisions (such Cornell getting a seed and Albany not) were based on H2H results.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

CU77 - you are correct on the head-to-head.
It is in the listed selection criteria. I had previously read an erroneous post.
If it comes down to splitting hairs between Cornell and Yale, this could be to Cornell's benefit.
Not so for Denver, if Georgetown win an AQ.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”