Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Brown92

Re: Brown 2024

Post by Brown92 »

anyone hear if Justin Turri is a potential candidate?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:54 pm
Lets at least have some fun and start talking about who should replace Daly.
Has to be from D1, just based on Brown's hiring history.

HC? AC? Offensive or defensive bent? X & O rep or more noted as a recruiter? Past (or present) Ivy experience? Alumnus? How many are in coaching currently? Thompson not setting the world on fire at UNC. Any other alum out there doing well?
Kip Turner? Is he heir-apparent at UVa?
sheesh, let the season be over before letting a newbie troll you guys into thinking Daly is or should be imminently out...unless someone actually knows that to be the case, it's pretty darn premature. If it's actually the case, it's up to the AD to make those moves.

It just feels like trolling to me to incite unrest with coach in-season.

Summer provides plenty of opportunity for grinding teeth!

Re the situation at Dartmouth, unless Kirwan is having a radically different experience with the new AD and new President than what has been reported to be the case, he's got a terrific opportunity in hand and lots of support from both admin and alums. Historically high support. Not sure why Brown would be remotely attractive in comparison...sounded like other issues might need improvement before coach selection is or should be on the table.
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:24 pm

HC? AC? Offensive or defensive bent? X & O rep or more noted as a recruiter? Past (or present) Ivy experience? Alumnus? How many are in coaching currently? Thompson not setting the world on fire at UNC. Any other alum out there doing well?
sheesh, let the season be over before letting a newbie troll you guys into thinking Daly is or should be imminently out...unless someone actually knows that to be the case, it's pretty darn premature. If it's actually the case, it's up to the AD to make those moves.

Re the situation at Dartmouth, unless Kirwan is having a radically different experience with the new AD and new President than what has been reported to be the case, he's got a terrific opportunity in hand and lots of support from both admin and alums. Historically high support. Not sure why Brown would be remotely attractive in comparison...sounded like other issues might need improvement before coach selection is or should be on the table.
If the AD is going to make a move she's going to have to do it within days of the season ending. There's too much at stake during the summer (portal, recruiting, scouting prospects, etc.) to wait to make a move. My guess is she already knows what she's going to do and has already cleared it with the administration. The culture of this team has been toxic since last season's senior suspension drama. It's actually gotten worse this year. From what I'm hearing Daly has lost the locker room and you only have to read this thread to see what everyone else thinks of the ACs.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BrownDad wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:30 pm

If the AD is going to make a move she's going to have to do it within days of the season ending. There's too much at stake during the summer (portal, recruiting, scouting prospects, etc.) to wait to make a move. My guess is she already knows what she's going to do and has already cleared it with the administration. The culture of this team has been toxic since last season's senior suspension drama. It's actually gotten worse this year. From what I'm hearing Daly has lost the locker room and you only have to read this thread to see what everyone else thinks of the ACs.
I have zero inside knowledge and no dog in the hunt, but the discussion of firing Daly instigated by a handful of rather infrequent or recently joining posters seems like an agenda.

That said, I personally appreciate when people actually do have some inside perspective to share and are brave enough to do so. I didn't like when such was often selectively muzzled under the prior LP regime. But tell us the source of that perspective and the actual details, not generalities...please. Otherwise, it sure seems like a personal beef or agenda, or outside trolling.

Yes, if the AD has decided to make a move, she should prepare to do so swiftly when the season has actually ended. I don't mean Brown's season, I mean NCAA lacrosse season, at a minimum after the tournament selection process and probably not until deep in tournament or immediately after Memorial Day. If any of your targets are still playing, don't interfere.

But who says anything like that is even in the offing?
X-Lax

Post by X-Lax »

Would you expect to keep your job if you performed as poorly as they have? I’m not so sure this is sour grapes, more like genuine concern for the direction of the program.
dannyric

Post by dannyric »

I may be a new poster but I agree its a worthy discussion given the direction of the program. No intention to troll anyone. I like Daly a lot and remain very impressed with his success at Tufts. It doesn't always click moving D3 to D1 unfortunately.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:24 am Aw #ell grab Benson from across town.🥴
Let's get back to some reasonable speculation; 3 of last 4 at home. Win predictions? Bueller? Bueller?

Princeton, not likely. Obvious talent disparity at offensive & defensive ends. Middle of the field? Princeton is young overall. Common opponents to date: They lost to Cornell by 1 at the buzzer, thumped by UMd. They need the win to keep pace with the 3-1 teams.

Dartmouth is certainly a reasonable W prediction. Common opps to date: Crushed by Georgetown, lost to Penn by 3 in the snow, They haven't impressed in Ivy tilts this year, and it's historically a Brown W, especially at home.

Bryant has looked better than Brown (cripes at 1-8 most teams have looked better). Common opponents to date: Bryant>PC & BU, Quinnipiac>Bryant.

At Harvard. Really close games recently. They stomped PC, lost by 2 to Yale in New Haven. Will this game mean anything for the Johnnies when it's played?

^^^^^ I certainly contributed to the talk, but I did try to get the discussion back on track.^^^^^ :oops:

I don't know if the "nubes" have been lurkers, or if they're commenting under new nyms for ?, but if they want to talk about the games, the more the merrier. Otherwise, the Hobart thread is having some post season conversations also.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Agree with all of this but also . . . do the Ivies EVER hire a head coach in any sport away from another league team where that person was a current head coach? Not just men's lacrosse? I guess there must be examples but in the modern sports era I don't think that really happens. (I know the Penn head FB coach Al Bagnoli went to Columbia but he hadn't been Penn's head coach for a couple of years.). Come to think of it, in Division I men's lax more broadly, how often does a head coach leave his school in his conference to go to another school in that same conference in lacrosse? I don't think that happens much either. It's more Petro/Tambroni/Tillman/Tiffany/Milliman leaving an Ivy to go to an ACC or Big 10. (And don't think people haven't come looking for Andy Shay plenty of times . . .)
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Ryan Wellner, assistant at ND and Navy wanted the Brown job last
time around- knows everyone, a lax junkie, coached at Chaminade and Stony Brook ( during some successful years)…..Jon Thomson would love the position - intense, Brown passionate, high character, wouldn’t talk for 48 hours after losing a game when a player…….forget about Caseese or Kirwan or Jamie Munro having any interest ……Seremet is a class act…..think the talent level has been overrated this season in blaming the coaching staff for losses…strong class coming in some 4 months…
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

Former Manhattan head coach John Odierna and currently the defensive coordinator for Syracuse should be considered.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well the school should not have a problem retaining all the high-ranked incoming class: they'll see playing time. So, relying on incoming freshmen means target competitive year is maybe 2026, hopefully 2027. Hope my doc gets me there.🤞🏻

Also too, if the current recruited roster is overrated (to re-re-repeat: when your best are transfers, not a good sign) what indicates the newcomers will be able to compete in the Ivy? Same folks doing the recruiting.

The "we're going to keep working, work harder" interviews remind me of Patriot HC Rod Rust (yep, I'm old), "I'm proud of these guys. They work so hard", on his 1-15 Patriots.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:58 pm

Agree with all of this but also . . . do the Ivies EVER hire a head coach in any sport away from another league team where that person was a current head coach? Not just men's lacrosse? I guess there must be examples but in the modern sports era I don't think that really happens. (I know the Penn head FB coach Al Bagnoli went to Columbia but he hadn't been Penn's head coach for a couple of years.). Come to think of it, in Division I men's lax more broadly, how often does a head coach leave his school in his conference to go to another school in that same conference in lacrosse? I don't think that happens much either. It's more Petro/Tambroni/Tillman/Tiffany/Milliman leaving an Ivy to go to an ACC or Big 10. (And don't think people haven't come looking for Andy Shay plenty of times . . .)
Yes, extraordinarily rare for a head coach in any sport to move in-conference in Ivy. Assistants yes, head coaches no. Rare in most conferences, most sports.

But this is a premature conversation IMO as to who would be a good fit and want the gig. I have no doubt that an organized and enthusiastic effort by Brown at the appropriate time would yield a top flight person for the job. Whether they’d be more successful or not is another question, but finding top flight candidates would definitely happen.

The problem most Ivies face is not so much finding excellent coaches, it’s getting enough total talent assembled and now supported in a new Wild West world of NIL and transfers, and as it always has been its keeping the successful coaches in place once they break through. Including successfully replacing great assistants. Success usually means coaches are poached to programs willing to throw more money and overall support.

Yale lax has solved this with billionaire support but that’s unique.
dannyric

Post by dannyric »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:57 am
The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:58 pm

Yes, extraordinarily rare for a head coach in any sport to move in-conference in Ivy. Assistants yes, head coaches no. Rare in most conferences, most sports.

But this is a premature conversation IMO as to who would be a good fit and want the gig. I have no doubt that an organized and enthusiastic effort by Brown at the appropriate time would yield a top flight person for the job. Whether they’d be more successful or not is another question, but finding top flight candidates would definitely happen.

The problem most Ivies face is not so much finding excellent coaches, it’s getting enough total talent assembled and now supported in a new Wild West world of NIL and transfers, and as it always has been its keeping the successful coaches in place once they break through. Including successfully replacing great assistants. Success usually means coaches are poached to programs willing to throw more money and overall support.

Yale lax has solved this with billionaire support but that’s unique.
Great points
Anyone know any billionaires we can tap? :lol:
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

One example of an intra-IVY head coaching poach. I don't recall the circumstances but Gaudet is a Dartmouth alum.

https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/mens ... audet/1587
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

What a brutal way to make a living. Your success and livelihood depend on the split-second decisions of young men on and off the field -- young men who do not have the benefit of a fully-developed prefrontal cortex. At a certain point, the numbers are the numbers in this profession, despite the high integrity and professionalism of the current staff. The eventual outcome for them may not be "fair" in all respects.

There could be a good barroom discussion about rank-ordering the coaching opportunities in the Ivies. By most objective measures, the Brown job offers more resources to be successful than the Dartmouth job. Excellent lacrosse facility, better geography/weather, better lacrosse tradition, flexible academic system (no core requirements) and the benefit of being a featured sport at Brown. Thirty years ago, you could argue that Dartmouth was a lot more fun than Brown, but I think fun is greatly reduced on both campuses -- at least the keg-fueled fun of yore. Having said all that, I highly doubt Kirwan would jump. Just a very strange and unprecedented look.

I'll take a stab at ranking the desirability of the Ivy coaching jobs over in the Ivy League thread.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

wayfarer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:25 pm I don't recall the circumstances but Gaudet is a Dartmouth alum.

And perhaps of equal importance, so is his wife!
Finish Strong
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sportin' Life wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:44 pm
wayfarer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:25 pm I don't recall the circumstances but Gaudet is a Dartmouth alum.

And perhaps of equal importance, so is his wife!
Depends on the crowd…
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

Counselor wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:13 pm Ryan Wellner, assistant at ND and Navy wanted the Brown job last
time around- knows everyone, a lax junkie, coached at Chaminade and Stony Brook ( during some successful years)…..Jon Thomson would love the position - intense, Brown passionate, high character, wouldn’t talk for 48 hours after losing a game when a player…….forget about Caseese or Kirwan or Jamie Munro having any interest ……Seremet is a class act…..think the talent level has been overrated this season in blaming the coaching staff for losses…strong class coming in some 4 months…
Noooo, we ( Navy Fans) hope one day Coach Wellner returns to Navy as HC. But he also fits at ND and fit is 100% it.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

St Anthony v Chaminade on youtube, 2 Brown '24s on StA.
mountainred

Post by mountainred »

wayfarer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:25 pm One example of an intra-IVY head coaching poach. I don't recall the circumstances but Gaudet is a Dartmouth alum.

Another example:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Miller_(basketball) Didn't go well for the Quakers.

Maybe the rule is you can only raid Brown? :D

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”