Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Brown 2024

Post by The Orfling »

middleAgedBear wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:34 pm I’d love to hear Munro and Towers discuss current state of Brown state! I’d pay for the uncensored version.
I think AT had a career winning percentage of something like 33% as an Ivy League Head Coach and won 5-6 Ivy games over a 5 year run. Fun guy, fun listen, didn't have all the answers as a HC. (As for the current situation, Lars was definitely a tough act to follow as Brown HC; off-the-charts recruiter among other things.)
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

And don't forget Kip Turner also left with Lars and was an asset in the recruiting process as well.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 pm
middleAgedBear wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:34 pm I’d love to hear Munro and Towers discuss current state of Brown state! I’d pay for the uncensored version.
I think AT had a career winning percentage of something like 33% as an Ivy League Head Coach and won 5-6 Ivy games over a 5 year run. Fun guy, fun listen, didn't have all the answers as a HC. (As for the current situation, Lars was definitely a tough act to follow as Brown HC; off-the-charts recruiter among other things.)
Oh it’s more about ATs personality and what he might say vs what tips he could give to Daly 😀
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

middleAgedBear wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:07 pm
The Orfling wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 pm
Oh it’s more about ATs personality and what he might say vs what tips he could give to Daly 😀
Ha! Yes it would be spicy. He’s been a great fit for the PLL where he can fully be himself.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Another chance to turn the season around on Friday vs UMass.
3pm afternoon game. If the start time changes, as weekday afternoon games sometimes do, please post here if you get the info.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

A Win!
Brown "Tillmans" UMass. Nice way to ratchet up the rivalry.
Bear's offense wasn't offensive today.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:17 pm Ben Scandone clips from last year, quick, can get by his man,

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxpX75eZ ... 2KdCaa7FXW

https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx908C9Z ... P7EHyktGLi
Looks like they put him on 1st line midfield.
This is what I saw from Scandone last year - just blowing right by long poles, short poles.

Pays off - 2 assists, could have had more.

This was actually a very competitive, tough tough game - one I'll definitely re-watch.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

All right! Brown 11 UMass10.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Daly is a tool

Did he have a half time interview?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:33 pm
10stone5 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:17 pm Ben Scandone clips from last year, quick, can get by his man,

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxpX75eZ ... 2KdCaa7FXW

https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx908C9Z ... P7EHyktGLi
Looks like they put him on 1st line midfield.
This is what I saw from Scandone last year - just blowing right by long poles, short poles.

Pays off - 2 assists, could have had more.

This was actually a very competitive, tough tough game - one I'll definitely re-watch.

Don't know if he's dinged up, but it almost seems like he sees the field every other game. Guess a couple of Browns Omids are hurt, (#3 & #8 got lots of run today) so he was a regular today. Even though he didn't get a goal, he def led Brown's offense into having good rhythm with his dodges. Surprised UMass didn't put a long on him just to break up that rhythm.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Happy for Bruno to get the first win when the alternative would have been another heartbreaker if Brown had carried a steady lead into the 4th quarter only to lose the game. Theriault played great -- I assume Twitter/X/instagram will see a resurfacing of some clips of him rumbling downfield or pumping both fists after UMass was called for pushing him inside the final minute. Brown played some hard-nosed, effective lacrosse; they were slightly over 50% at the X, got a 62% day in net from Theriault, and played some great defense (forcing a couple of shot clock violations). They also hung in there and didn't get discouraged when UMass's Matt Knote, a great goalie, stole a few from them. They really "made their own luck" in a lot of ways -- UMass had 16 turnovers total, with 12 of them scored as caused turnovers by Brown. The aggressiveness wasn't entirely. without cost -- they had 7 penalties for 6 minutes -- but they held UMass to 1 for 7 on EMO (and scored two man up goals themselves).

Congrats to Brown on a nice win.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

* Gonna check the Cannella coaching tree to see if Brown has any games with "his guys" to take note of coaching manœvers in those games.

* Brown players' sticks better be squared away the rest of this year.

* Everyone has seen the close-up photos of players where their pocket looks as deep as a convenience store plastic bag. I know there are ways to "adjust" pockets before a stick check, but maybe refs could be a bit more proactive? Good defense shouldn't be thwarted by illegal sticks. Current stick tech is all the help offenses need.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:47 am * Gonna check the Cannella coaching tree to see if Brown has any games with "his guys" to take note of coaching manœvers in those games.

* Everyone has seen the close-up photos of players where their pocket looks as deep as a convenience store plastic bag. I know there are ways to "adjust" pockets before a stick check, but maybe refs could be a bit more proactive? Good defense shouldn't be thwarted by illegal sticks. Current stick tech is all the help offenses need.
Probably the best known branch of the Cannella coaching tree is none other than Yale's Andy Shay; he came to Yale from UMass where he was on Greg Cannella's staff for a few years. Shay's not a big "coaching drama" guy -- I can't see him calling retaliatory stick checks. However, Yale's FOGO Rodriguez is pretty active on the break so I could imagine the coaching staff reminding him to pay extra attention to his stick when Yale plays Brown? That train of thought makes me wonder whether by calling one stick check like this, Daly going forward may be semi-neutralizing FOGO fast breaks against Brown, at least in situations where the game is close? if it's really true that almost any FOGO's stick will be illegal right after a face-off, you could imagine a FOGO thinking twice before taking it to the goal himself.

I'm not sure where to come down on this but if truly the way faceoffs are done makes all the FOGO sticks illegal, it seems like maybe it would be better for the NCAA lax rules committee to change the rule on FOGO equipment rather than relying on an unwritten rule that nobody is to ask for a stick check on a FOGO?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:06 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:47 am * Gonna check the Cannella coaching tree to see if Brown has any games with "his guys" to take note of coaching manœvers in those games.

Probably the best known branch of the Cannella coaching tree is none other than Yale's Andy Shay; he came to Yale from UMass where he was on Greg Cannella's staff for a few years. Shay's not a big "coaching drama" guy -- I can't see him calling retaliatory stick checks. However, Yale's FOGO Rodriguez is pretty active on the break so I could imagine the coaching staff reminding him to pay extra attention to his stick when Yale plays Brown? That train of thought makes me wonder whether by calling one stick check like this, Daly going forward may be semi-neutralizing FOGO fast breaks against Brown, at least in situations where the game is close? if it's really true that almost any FOGO's stick will be illegal right after a face-off, you could imagine a FOGO thinking twice before taking it to the goal himself.

I'm not sure where to come down on this but if truly the way faceoffs are done makes all the FOGO sticks illegal, it seems like maybe it would be better for the NCAA lax rules committee to change the rule on FOGO equipment rather than relying on an unwritten rule that nobody is to ask for a stick check on a FOGO?
I thought of Shay as a Shillinglaw guy; I've heard him talk about his time at Delaware. I remember he coached at UMass now that you mention it.
I think upcoming opposition fogos will stick with what works for them (maybe they might get questioned by their own coaches (who probably go with "don't ask/don't tell" about players' sticks otherwise)) but in any case beyond "doctored" sticks I understand that just the forces involved in faceoff/clamp/pinch etc can cause the deformed head to fail an inspection.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Harvard might have a UMass guy coaching too
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:43 pm Daly is a tool

You feel the same way about Tillman ?

btw......absolutely LOVED the late hit by the Brown player on the UMASS goal scorer. We would take that penalty all day long.

He ever score again? exactly.

"Rica proud.....
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:01 pm
Gorilla Fan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:43 pm Daly is a tool

You feel the same way about Tillman ?
Yes
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Most of Friday's game states indicate the close game it was, but UMass 14 of 20 on clears compared to Brown's 15 of 16, Brown 12 CT to UMass 5 show Brown played "hair on fire" D- as an 0-6 team should.

Concern: once UMass got into its game in the 2nd half (busride lag & playing a winless team first half doldrums?) the Bears only got 5,7 shots the last 2 quarters, 3,5 on goal. Too many shot clock violations. Offense still a work in progress (mean-spirited snark: work in regress).

With the clearing advantage (Brown f/o ad only 52%-48%) and 62% saves, too damn close a final score. HAVE to be better in league play.

Still: all wins are good wins.

(stats via Brown lax page)
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Nice win. Agree on physicality of d mids - necessary sometimes and can change the trajectory of the game
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Just not good.
Great Brown work on man down: 'Nova only 1-7 on man up, otherwise the score would have been worse.
I'm not sure I have EVER commented on refs except for in some cases saying some were poor all-around or sometimes a crew may let a game get out of control, but 5 pushes on Brown and none on Villanova? In a game with over 30 turnovers? Real momentum breakers. On the other hand Villanova was assessed a questionable 2 min unreleasable penalty. Bears got only 1 goal out of it despite scoring it in the first 30-ish seconds.
I rewound several times. Just can't see a penalty on the play the Wildcat f/o guy got injured. Hope he comes back soon- good player.

Maybe Bruno can up its game Saturday against Yale the way they did against Maryland. But Yale's 60+ percent faceoff guy isn't out of the lineup the way the Terp's was.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”