Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Brown 2024

Post by CU77 »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:44 pm So do we think the Brown AD has called John Thompson yet?
No Ivy is going to hire a coach with any whiff of controversy, fair or not.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ncaalax2010 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:11 pm Ridiculous comments about D3 and not being able to coach at that level. So many have before, and there are so many examples. It comes down to having the right guys in the locker room and building chemistry and belief from the team and administration. Lastly, and most importantly, at the Ivy level, get your alumni to believe in you and support you! If you miss one of those, then it is hard to win.

Let's not forget Andy Shay was a D2 guy and was on the verge of being out at Yale after a rough first six years. It was bad; look it up. Barely had two winning seasons and lasted most of those other years. I give Yale credit; they stayed with him, which turned out pretty well for Yale and Coach Shay.

I believe Brown jumped the gun in this case. No surprising!
Understand the legitimate point, but it’s hard to say six years is jumping the gun.

Best wishes to Coach Daly.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Hey, even though it is too late for the Nova fogo Coppola now, but any updates on the NCAA complaint filed by Nova against Daly for targeting Coppola on Nova ( to knock him out of the game)
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:44 pm So do we think the Brown AD has called John Thompson yet?
Huge fan of JT. He would be an amazing fit for the program. The Amherst incident ultimately reflected poorly on the college president and not on Thompson. He had by far the best record in the NESCAC of recruiting young men of color to play for him, not to mention an excellent W/L record of 125-47 with an appearance in the D3 NC game.

Terry Foy wrote a heartfelt defense of JT here:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/56398

And a local journalist did some good work on setting the record straight about how wrong the initial allegations were in the Amherst student newspaper:
https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... e-48410663

There is also a good Jamie Munro podcast that I described in this forum and linked to a couple of years ago:
viewtopic.php?p=272193#p272193
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:41 pm
Huge fan of JT. He would be an amazing fit for the program. The Amherst incident ultimately reflected poorly on the college president and not on Thompson. He had by far the best record in the NESCAC of recruiting young men of color to play for him, not to mention an excellent W/L record of 125-47 with an appearance in the D3 NC game.

And a local journalist did some good work on setting the record straight about how wrong the initial allegations were in the Amherst student newspaper:

There is also a good Jamie Munro podcast that I described in this forum and linked to a couple of years ago:
JT is a great guy. He got screwed by Amherst - plain and simple.

He also got screwed by former Brown AD who failed to interview him for the Brown job after Lars left. Only one person was interviewed for the job - Daly. Old AD did not even call JT or email him to say they would be going in a different direction.

That is not the way to handle a search process and not a way to handle a truly loved Brown alumnus. JT was not happy with how he was treated.

Maybe with a new AD he might consider coming back home. I'm hoping Brown conducts a true, nationwide search for the best candidate.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:16 pm
Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:41 pm

JT is a great guy. He got screwed by Amherst - plain and simple.

He also got screwed by former Brown AD who failed to interview him for the Brown job after Lars left. Only one person was interviewed for the job - Daly. Old AD did not even call JT or email him to say they would be going in a different direction.

That is not the way to handle a search process and not a way to handle a truly loved Brown alumnus. JT was not happy with how he was treated.

Maybe with a new AD he might consider coming back home. I'm hoping Brown conducts a true, nationwide search for the best candidate.
Ignoring all the circumstances around his Amherst dismissal, he sure didn’t put good tape out there this year at UNC. The offense regressed from the year prior even though they returned everyone and added blue chippers Duffy and Petro.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Posting here what I more or less posted on the Ivy League thread -- wishing Coach Daly all the best. His players and alums were very loyal to him and that's actually not all that common in the Division I world, whatever the sport. And his current 2024 guys played hard for him all the way to the end. He had six full seasons but with some curveballs (the noise complaint suspensions last year) along the way. Here's hoping he finds a good situation after Brown.
LILaxLaw

Post by LILaxLaw »

Hope coach Sven gets a crack at the job. Class act, unlike my experience with Daly
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

I feel like head coaches are becoming more like CEOs. Need charisma as well as coaching game skills. On the highest levels this is true m, sure who that is but if I were hiring that would be my guiding post.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

IvyBrown wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:20 pm I feel like head coaches are becoming more like CEOs. Need charisma as well as coaching game skills. On the highest levels this is true m, sure who that is but if I were hiring that would be my guiding post.
I agree with this. Would be more interested in finding this person than a coordinator with good metrics. Recruiting is extremely important in my opinion.
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

Magbride14 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:30 pm Hey, even though it is too late for the Nova fogo Coppola now, but any updates on the NCAA complaint filed by Nova against Daly for targeting Coppola on Nova ( to knock him out of the game)
Don't forget Devon McLane took him out of the game last year with a nasty hit.
statesmen2018

Post by statesmen2018 »

Peter Ashmore is on campus interviewing today
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

statesmen2018 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:30 am Peter Ashmore is on campus interviewing today
???
That was quick. Saw his Hobart history. What other history?
Wrong thread?
Lax4love

Post by Lax4love »

How about this candidate for out-of-the-box hire? Katrina Dowd--she is already on campus, is a fantastic coach and has the women's team on the cusp of an at-large NCAA bid (which would be a first for the program). Kind of what Syracuse did with Gait several years ago.... :D
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

Ill throw a name out there...Andy Towers...Brown Alum..Coached in the Ivy before..can and would do very well on the recruiting front and would bring great assistants with him..Kids LOVE him..
coda

Post by coda »

XLdad wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:47 pm Ill throw a name out there...Andy Towers...Brown Alum..Coached in the Ivy before..can and would do very well on the recruiting front and would bring great assistants with him..Kids LOVE him..
wasnt the knock on him that he didnt put a lot of effort into recruiting?
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

Even if it was ( haven't heard that)...would seem like that is certainly an addressable issue..Would absolutely bring some notoriety to the Brown process..
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

XLdad wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:47 pm Ill throw a name out there...Andy Towers...Brown Alum..Coached in the Ivy before..can and would do very well on the recruiting front and would bring great assistants with him..Kids LOVE him..
"Ever True..." but he seems to be having hella fun in PLL. Also too, his Dartmouth gig was...

I just think they should cast a wide net.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Congrats to the All-Ivies. 1 first, 1 second, 1 HM.
Only Dartmouth had fewer.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:05 pm
No Ivy is going to hire a coach with any whiff of controversy, fair or not.
(sorry I just....can't....help....msyelf...here...)

Columbia is starting a new lacrose program. Here's their initial hire,a good one for that campus and a Hobart alum!

https://lacrosse.co.il/about/updates/ma ... onal-team/
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”