Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Brown 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:02 pm
Can Opener wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:48 pm Respectfully, can you name one thing JT did wrong at Amherst that would support a foolish statement like this?
It's not what JT did, it's the fraidy-cat nature of university administrators, especially in the current environment. The very last thing the Brown admin needs right now is a new controversy, which JT's hire definitely would be, whether that's fair or not.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this, but I've spent too much of my life around university administrators to have any optimism on that front.

And here's the latest in the NYT on Brown's problems:
Billionaire Donor Assails Brown’s ‘Unconscionable’ Deal With Protesters

The real estate mogul Barry Sternlicht’s scathing criticism of his alma mater is the most immediate blowback against the school’s deal to end protests on campus.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/03/busi ... donor.html
Man a quant like you I would’ve expected “risk averse” from. You’re hanging out in my hood if you’re going to start using colorful and incendiary normative comments.

I welcome it! https://youtu.be/oG6fayQBm9w?si=sjd0D4I802nSzDjK
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Counselor wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:40 pm Kevin Casese would have no interest …he left Lehigh to position himself for the Duke job or some other perrenial Top Ten program…..Ryan Wellner would be an experienced and exceptional
candidate who would take a call but would have to hear an outstanding proposal to consider a move based on the level he has attained in his career …..Wray at St. Joe’s is an intriguing prospect….Alum Jon Thompson is relentless in pursuit of success and would relish the opportunity …Alum Jamie Munro seems wedded to his corporate pursuits….AD Calhoun will be receptive to entertaining all candidates ….no singleton prospect like the last time around ….interviews will be had…Brown looking to rekindle national aspirations in the sport and has the administration and resources to do it - needs a leader to accomplish it…should be an exciting era for all connected with the program….that era starting with a hiring by the end of the month…..
Should call Wray but that seems like a long shot. Browns great but still a stepping stone to something more ultimately. Guys who are established and built something are only going to move for “final destination” jobs - I think
See Martin, Malcolm
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Brown’s AD intends to make Brown Lax a destination program - just as Yale, Princeton, Cornell and Penn have become destination coaching positions - no reason Brown’s coaching position can’t be the same……the will is there…..the hidden gem of the Ivies …
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Counselor wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:21 am Brown’s AD intends to make Brown Lax a destination program - just as Yale, Princeton, Cornell and Penn have become destination coaching positions - no reason Brown’s coaching position can’t be the same……the will is there…..the hidden gem of the Ivies …
Cornell loses all their coaches. Tierney left Pton. Murphy? You’re selling Shay basically.
See Martin, Malcolm
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

I think with the right attitude Brown can be a destination job. I think it is important to follow how other now hall of fame coaches have built “stepping stone” jobs to destination jobs. The road maps are out there. 1. Hire someone that has ties to Brown whether directly or indirectly; 2. Need charisma as it is a CEO type job being the head coach; 3. Provide enough support to allow the coach to thrive.

There are some very real examples out there on other sports where the programs prior to such a coach arriving was a stepping stone. Coach K at Duke (Duke a joke prior). Coach Wright at Villanova (not a joke but not the blue blood he made it while there; while he didnt go to villanova his wife did and after success stayed for that reason among others.

Jim Valvano said “dont mess with happy” and that means to hire someone with Brown ties who will stay. Now if that person exists I dont know but Brown should be aiming for national championships It takes the right attitude to instill this mentality.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Counselor wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:40 pm Kevin Casese would have no interest …he left Lehigh to position himself for the Duke job or some other perrenial Top Ten program…..Ryan Wellner would be an experienced and exceptional
candidate who would take a call but would have to hear an outstanding proposal to consider a move based on the level he has attained in his career …..Wray at St. Joe’s is an intriguing prospect….Alum Jon Thompson is relentless in pursuit of success and would relish the opportunity …Alum Jamie Munro seems wedded to his corporate pursuits….AD Calhoun will be receptive to entertaining all candidates ….no singleton prospect like the last time around ….interviews will be had…Brown looking to rekindle national aspirations in the sport and has the administration and resources to do it - needs a leader to accomplish it…should be an exciting era for all connected with the program….that era starting with a hiring by the end of the month…..
Thanks for your insights, Counselor, you are always a great source on Brown lacrosse. Sounds like Bruno will run a good process and I expect they'll come away with someone that will be exciting to the Brown lax community.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Counselor wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:21 am Brown’s AD intends to make Brown Lax a destination program - just as Yale, Princeton, Cornell and Penn have become destination coaching positions - no reason Brown’s coaching position can’t be the same……the will is there…..the hidden gem of the Ivies …
Brown can absolutely have big success -- and has done so within the decade. As we well remember, 2016 Bruno was one unfortunate Molloy foot injury from Memorial Day and would have had a great chance to win it all. That squad with Molloy, Kelly, Gurial, Kemp, Tulett was really special, fun to watch, and constructed quite similarly (although with a better goalie and elite LSMs more than elite shorties) to the Yale team that won it all in 2018. I'm still not sure how NIL will shake things up but on balance I think the Ivies, includng Brown, should be quite competitive going forward.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:37 am End of the month? How much due diligence can they do if FF coaches are on the list? (ACs in that case of course.)
Thorough investigation vs don't let our guy get plucked by someone else, I guess.

It's early, but the women's team looks to have made a good choice. 🤞🏻 for the men.
You can get a 50 odd page NFC global report for under a grand. I used them for guarantor checks heavily back in the day. Takes 3-5 days to
Receive.
See Martin, Malcolm
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Alumni just got invites to a “state of the union” about Brown lax from AD Grace Calhoun.

Interesting thing is they are having 3 different Zooms broken up by grad year. Not sure why you would not just do one with everyone.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:52 am Man a quant like you I would’ve expected “risk averse” from. You’re hanging out in my hood if you’re going to start using colorful and incendiary normative comments.

LOL, I didn't think pointing out that university administrators are risk-averse as a species and quoting the NYT was all that incendiary, but I'll take the compliment! :D

And Counselor is right about Casesse: he's not going back to HC at a nonperennial power, BTDT.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:09 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:52 am Man a quant like you I would’ve expected “risk averse” from. You’re hanging out in my hood if you’re going to start using colorful and incendiary normative comments.

LOL, I didn't think pointing out that university administrators are risk-averse as a species and quoting the NYT was all that incendiary, but I'll take the compliment! :D

And Counselor is right about Casesse: he's not going back to HC at a nonperennial power, BTDT.
It was the more colorful and "jazz like" language used to convey vs the more sterile version. This is the good stuff. If you can find ways to work in "nasty" or "filthy" even more visceral bliss.
See Martin, Malcolm
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Curious abt the Daly hiring without other interviews- simply because Brown implemented his system, more-or-less? And maybe the Molloy/Tufts family connection?
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:41 pm

It was the more colorful and "jazz like" language used to convey vs the more sterile version. This is the good stuff. If you can find ways to work in "nasty" or "filthy" even more visceral bliss.
I had to look this up: "averse" means avoiding or have a distaste for something; "adverse" means opposed to or unfavorably affected by something. Hence, I always thought the appropriate term was "risk adverse." Since it's off season and time for golf or fishing for most of us now, maybe some of you artsy's can edify the rest of us about the proper usage. :P

Oh, BTW: Go Tigers!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

According to this, it's "averse":

https://www.quora.com/Diction-and-Word- ... mmatically

But my degree is in engineering ...
baylax72

Post by baylax72 »

Can't see many alums not loving a JT hire - he's as Brown state as it gets. Though given the women's turnaround this year, I could see them opting for a younger up-and-comer from a blue blood program. Anyone else surprised by Daly's departure? His tenure was mediocre at best, but that hasn't historically been fatal at Brown. Look at women's lax pre-Dowd or men's hockey, just to name a few. He seemed to be well-liked by the players and did some good stuff off the field. I figured at least another year was in the cards, especially since they were only 2 seasons removed from an ivy title and hosting NCAA game.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Ezra White wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:11 pm

I had to look this up: "averse" means avoiding or have a distaste for something; "adverse" means opposed to or unfavorably affected by something. Hence, I always thought the appropriate term was "risk adverse." Since it's off season and time for golf or fishing for most of us now, maybe some of you artsy's can edify the rest of us about the proper usage. :P

Definitely the phrase is risk-averse. You can also say, "His grandmother was averse to driving on the interstate," or "I'm not averse to trying new things."

"Adverse weather caused the baseball game to be cancelled." Or, "Adverse economic indicators led to the Fed reducing interest rates."

It was fun growing up as the son of an English professor.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

:?

Lotta work when “Bro, you spell like a Hobart grad” would’ve worked just as well and more concisely. But as to posts after yours yes in economics I’ve seen averse used frequently and accepted. No different than I use distinguish between positive and normative communication.

Like a positive statement would be “Cornell folks suck” because it’s just fact. A normative statement would be “Cornell folks suck worse than having to be cell mates with Mike Tyson when use got a meth problem”.

“Had” is similar to compelled right? Summer hobbies of min includes being outside, sports, social activities, sun and “birdwatching strategically” with bright sunglasses.

Here’s a definition of “birdwatching”. For Hobart folks the first definition is applicable. For the Cornell folks ex CU77 who’s cool, I would refer you to the fourth entry defining most applicable. He fifth entry is also very close to home for you guys as well. Like the platonic ideal for a cornelian:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... 20watching
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:41 am

Definitely the phrase is risk-averse. You can also say, "His grandmother was averse to driving on the interstate," or "I'm not averse to trying new things."

"Adverse weather caused the baseball game to be cancelled." Or, "Adverse economic indicators led to the Fed reducing interest rates."

It was fun growing up as the son of an English professor.
It has to be fun to have a vast colorful portfolio of words for any topic. I love it. And you know how to use it. I’ve seen one guy on the political boards try to be funny and witty attempt to parrot back terms and concepts in stupid and incorrect ways and to looks like this:

https://youtu.be/71xxvp5R9hE?si=9YDzavKUYaOqeve_
See Martin, Malcolm
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Could it be Ryan Wellner?
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:48 pm Could it be Ryan Wellner?
Please no. We want him back at Navy. But good for him if it is.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”