Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxlax29

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by laxlax29 »

It's been a while since a Duke offense was equal to or greater than the sum of their parts. They always have plenty of talent but recently they've been a defense/faceoff team.

Danowski must lose it inside when O'Neill gets a shorty switched onto him but decides to move the ball on.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Best defensive effort I've seen from the Orange in quite some time. Props to Dwan and Figueiras for keeping O'Neill and Zawada quiet.
It's easy to forget Figueiras is still really a freshman since he missed last season, he's really coming on the past few games.
Tricky game @ Hobart this weekend right before Cornell, hope they stay focused.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Pensky Material wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:57 pm Best defensive effort I've seen from the Orange in quite some time. Props to Dwan and Figueiras for keeping O'Neill and Zawada quiet.
It's easy to forget Figueiras is still really a freshman since he missed last season, he's really coming on the past few games.
Cornell is in two weeks, Hobart this Sat and then at ND the following Sat.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:58 pm
Pensky Material wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:57 pm Best defensive effort I've seen from the Orange in quite some time. Props to Dwan and Figueiras for keeping O'Neill and Zawada quiet.
Ah yes thank you I'm jumping ahead, well they def have some demons to exercise against the Irish after the past few seasons!
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Pensky Material wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:23 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:58 pm
Ah yes thank you I'm jumping ahead, well they def have some demons to exercise against the Irish after the past few seasons!
For sure, ND is a tough matchup for SU for a lot of reasons and this year will be no different. That said SU should be at least 50% at the X and defensively they can match up the best in probably 4-5 years.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Awesome game by Cuse. They just played lights out. Personally, with the rich tradition they have, I really like seeing them back in the mix.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Will Marks performance tonight was just incredible to watch. I mean u can't play goalie any better then he did tonight. The offense is humming with Hiltz back playing at a high level. The defense keeps improving as the season goes. Really the whole team keeps improving as the season goes which if they keep that up this team is gonna be so fun to watch play. They are peaking at the right time. If Will Mark stays hot like this they are gonna be really tough for any team to beat them. Seems like they are all feeding off eachother and getting better and more confident each game. What a great game tonight.
DMac

Post by DMac »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 pm Best defensive/goaltending performance I think I have ever seen in the shot clock Era, against this type of opponent.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Was incredible, sat there thinking there's no way you can keep this kind of D up for four quarters.
They did, and it aint easy to shut that O down.
Girls did the same thing to NC. D shut their O down, gave up five goals. Two equally impressive D
performances.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:49 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 pm Best defensive/goaltending performance I think I have ever seen in the shot clock Era, against this type of opponent.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Was incredible, sat there thinking there's no way you can keep this kind of D up for four quarters.
Girls did the same thing to NC. D shut their O down, gave up five goals. Two equally impressive D
performances.
Congrats, DMac, Syracuse looked so good! Amazing defense -- including one of the best single game showings by a goalie I've seen. Wow.

Long time 'Cuse watchers -- is "Dome-itis" a cause of some of the turnovers Duke had? Is there an adjustment period to the lights? They couldn't throw or catch for long stretches. I know that midweek games, bus legs, etc. are real, but wondering if you see this kind of thing a bit more in the Dome?
RussianTroll

Post by RussianTroll »

The orange squash the devil, no juke man. The real question is… a man a woman without the wo.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:55 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
performances.
Congrats, DMac, Syracuse looked so good! Amazing defense -- including one of the best single game showings by a goalie I've seen. Wow.

Long time 'Cuse watchers -- is "Dome-itis" a cause of some of the turnovers Duke had? Is there an adjustment period to the lights? They couldn't throw or catch for long stretches. I know that midweek games, bus legs, etc. are real, but wondering if you see this kind of thing a bit more in the Dome?
Tough question, think I can only say I don't know. Many say/claim it's tough to play in the Dome but I've sure seen plenty of teams, including Cornell, come in and just spank Cuse. Wasn't many years ago Duke came in and annihilated Cuse, handing them their worst loss in, I think, thirty something years. Can't really say I think I see this sort of thing any more, or less, in the Dome. I think teams like playing in there, and for certain they all seem to bring their A+ game when they come here to play.
This Cuse D (and the O wasn't bad either) was in a groove and on a roll and just flat took Duke out of the game, rattled and frustrated them. When they did get a look/shot they had to deal with Mark. He's a mighty good GK...Geezuz H!!
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

SU played really well. But, Dukes offense is what & who? This is the second game (Penn) where Oneil flat lined. 1 for whatever. Where is Slusher or Zawada? The all time scorer in Michigan history? Credit SU , Mark w 78%
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Looked like O'neill wasn't 100% as he didn't try to initiate that often & when he did SU slid quickly and Brennan had a tough time finding an outlet. Duke offense out of sync the whole game. SU defense played lights out, here's hoping they're exhausted and are unable to answer the bell in Geneva on Saturday :lol: Loved the way Spallina didn't force things and let the game come to him. He leads the country in scoring for a reason, but is able to defer for the good of his team..
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:55 pm
Gobigred
Joewillie78
performances.

the issues with the dome used to be... you could not hear anything as either the lights or hvac had a very high pitched locust-like sound. literally couldn't scream at someone 15 feet away. and the end zones were silver/gray/white and you couldn't see the ball.

both of those have been eliminated. plus they've opened up the roof (for day games), and have primo lighting now. i didn't see dook missing catches. i saw their passes (and often shots) missing their mark. handcuffing people. often because they were being ragged. no asterisk on this one.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:41 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 pm This team is a Final Four candidate - I personally have them as one of the top five candidates.

Duke doesn't have a significant win yet, they've got an up hill battle.
Man.......Duke just didn't get off the bus today. Bummer. It happens. Game ain't over yet, though, so....

And am I the only guy who sees bad pass after bad pass eating dirt because of whipped-out stringing?
iirc, one thing gait did (a while ago?) was have his guys eliminate a lot of whip in their sticks. home team brings the balls. some balls are more grippy than others. wouldn't surprise me if on purpose or not, 'cuse could garner an advantage by going with some pretty grippy balls bc their sticks are set up better to handle it.
coda

Post by coda »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:06 am Looked like O'neill wasn't 100% as he didn't try to initiate that often & when he did SU slid quickly and Brennan had a tough time finding an outlet. Duke offense out of sync the whole game. SU defense played lights out, here's hoping they're exhausted and are unable to answer the bell in Geneva on Saturday :lol: Loved the way Spallina didn't force things and let the game come to him. He leads the country in scoring for a reason, but is able to defer for the good of his team..
I didnt see the game, but I saw the highlight clips. Oneill had 2-3 misses from in tight after cooking his defender that Mark cleaned up. I dont think it was injury related. I know it sounds crazy, but Zawaada seems to be the engine for that Duke offense. When he is on, they are cooking. He gets everyone involved.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

O'Neill did not look hurt. He had a terrible shooting day. He was missing the cage by a mile on some shots.

Felt like Zawada was able to create separation off the dodge, but it led to nothing. Combination of good defense and goaltending, but also low-energy, uninspired offensive sets from Duke. Very little movement off ball. No conviction in their picks or cuts. Flat all around.

In the third quarter they inverted and attacked a shortie behind the cage, and it led to their two best looks of the day — one of them they scored on. And then they didn't try that again for the rest of the game. Really bizarre. They made Hop's offensive performance against Navy last week look good in comparison.

Duke will probably figure it out and be fine, but this is the kind of showing that makes you wonder what this team's ceiling really is. True championship contenders generally do not have games like this.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

coda wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 am
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:06 am Looked like O'neill wasn't 100% as he didn't try to initiate that often & when he did SU slid quickly and Brennan had a tough time finding an outlet. Duke offense out of sync the whole game. SU defense played lights out, here's hoping they're exhausted and are unable to answer the bell in Geneva on Saturday :lol: Loved the way Spallina didn't force things and let the game come to him. He leads the country in scoring for a reason, but is able to defer for the good of his team..
I didnt see the game, but I saw the highlight clips. Oneill had 2-3 misses from in tight after cooking his defender that Mark cleaned up. I dont think it was injury related. I know it sounds crazy, but Zawaada seems to be the engine for that Duke offense. When he is on, they are cooking. He gets everyone involved.
Seemed like O'neill was more of a decoy, didn't really see him try to dodge and get to the goal until Duke's first possession of the 2nd quarter. Looked like he had a wrap on his right leg, no excuse, SU defense played well.
coda

Post by coda »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:16 am
coda wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 am
Seemed like O'neill was more of a decoy, didn't really see him try to dodge and get to the goal until Duke's first possession of the 2nd quarter. Looked like he had a wrap on his right leg, no excuse, SU defense played well.
Just saying based on the highlights, he seemed to be able to get by his defender. My biggest compliant is how the hell was this game on ACCNX?
DMac

Post by DMac »

=wgdsr post_id=530623 time=1711028181 user_id=472]

wgdsr wrote
home team brings the balls. some balls are more grippy than others. wouldn't surprise me if on purpose or not, 'cuse could garner an advantage by going with some pretty grippy balls bc their sticks are set up better to handle it.
Fantastic!! Bagged sticks with sick hold and grippy balls. This is why the women's game is sooooo much prettier than the men's game. More, and better, passing, more movement all over the field and more two way players. Man, would I love to see the women's sticks brought to the men's game (yes, I know that aint never gonna happen).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”