Yale 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Yale 2024

Post by FannOLax »

The good news is that Yale gets to play the #1 team in all the polls, Denver. The bad news is the Yale Daily News, whose person covering lacrosse talks to no one, has no inside info, and just summarizes the box scores. But Denver, good: Yale has everything to gain, nothing to lose. Weather out there Sunday is supposed to be sunny, high of 60, and 1% chance of precipitation. Denver, much better than playing Quinnipiac.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:08 am The good news is that Yale gets to play the #1 team in all the polls, Denver. The bad news is the Yale Daily News, whose person covering lacrosse talks to no one, has no inside info, and just summarizes the box scores. But Denver, good: Yale has everything to gain, nothing to lose. Weather out there Sunday is supposed to be sunny, high of 60, and 1% chance of precipitation. Denver, much better than playing Quinnipiac.
Sounds like a great day for lacrosse. And being the substantial underdog can be a good vibe.

Just venting a little bit of left-over frustration: if the second half of the Penn State game (12 goals surrendered) was a steady diet of PSU inverted midfielders matching up successfully against Yale's shorties, why not stop the bleeding at some point by switching defenses and, for example, trying a zone? Yale doesn't seem willing to be flexible on the defensive end; living (and daying) on a straight man, no zone, "no gimmicks" approach. Sigh.

With that said, it's never been harder to play lacrosse defense than in the modern equipment/officiating/shot clock era and I empathize. Bottom line, as always, I'm grateful for the hard work of the players and coaches in putting such a fun product on the field. Let's go Yale!
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

Orfling- I agree with you. I don't know if this is just rearview mirror stuff, but it feels to me like most of Yale's painful losses over the last several years... stretch of Penn/Cornell/Princeton last year in the regular season, Princeton and Georgetown in the playoffs last year, Princeton in the NCAAs in 2022 (I'd include the loss to PSU this year)... other teams just figure out a weakness an exploit it. and exploit it. and exploit it. and exploit it. It certainly doesn't look (to me- what do I know) like Yale D changes or adjusts anything.

Every team has a weakness somewhere in personnel or scheme. Like you said, it just feels like Yale lives or dies on one plan. And that sounds great if your plan is working. But if it isn't... as the saying goes... insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result.

That was the third game of the season, so they have time to figure it out. But they'd better be quick because everyone on their schedule has seen that tape.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Great win by Yale to hand #1 Denver its first loss of the season, 15-13. A few very initial thoughts on the game:
  • Face-offs loomed large; this was projected to be an area of strength for Denver but between Rodriguez and Ramsey, Yale went 59% at the X -- and Rodriguez had an assist on a key second half Yale goal;
  • Matt Brandau led the way with 5 points (2G, 3A) but 7 different Elis had multiple-goal-games (Brandau, Anderson, Kuhl, Krevsky, Keib, Moynihan, and Hackler;
  • With two out of Yale's top three attackmen still out (it was nice catching glimpses of #6 and #44 on the sideline), the midfield really stepped up both in transition and in the set 6 v 6 offense, with 8 of Yale's goals coming from midfielders (note: I think Moynihan was playing midfield and not attack but I'd have to watch the tape more closely -- longterm he'll be on attack I think);
  • Speaking of Moynihan, he's growing in confidence and I thought this was his best game yet with two goals on two shots; with #44 not yet dialed in on his outside shooting, Moynihan's ability to shoot from a bit further out and hit the corners is key;
  • In terms of things to improve on (not too much when you take down a number one!) I saw three: (a) The clearing was okay not great -- credit to Denver's hustle -- Yale was 80% on the day at 12 for 16, making the face-off advantage all that more crucial; (b) Yale's shorties got beat a few times in the 6 v 6 set up; and (c) Yale could not convert on EMO at 0 for 4, while Denver was 2 for 6; Yale is just 14% on a smallish sample size of 2 for 14 on the year on EMO -- #44's slow start (6% shooting percentage) is a part of that and hopefully he and Yale will both dial it in on EMO.
Overall, this was really another terrific effort by Yale -- not mourning the guys out of the line-up, making it happen with the guys who are in between the white lines. Congrats to players, families and coaches on a terrific win!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:49 pm Great win by Yale to hand #1 Denver its first loss of the season, 15-13. ...

Overall, this was really another terrific effort by Yale -- not mourning the guys out of the line-up, making it happen with the guys who are in between the white lines. Congrats to players, families and coaches on a terrific win!
As I recall, the two previous times Yale knocked off the #1 team were in 2018 (Albany at Reese) and 2019 (Penn State at Reese). Of course, Yale also won the NCAA semi-final re-matches those years. But today's win seems all the more impressive for being on the opponent's home turf, and for having two of the almost-certain starting attackmen out injured.

Today's results set up an intriguing, and potentially high-quality, Ivy opener between ancient rivals Yale and Harvard, in New Haven. Really looking forward to it!
molo

Post by molo »

Congratulations to Yale on the win, which will complicate the rankings as Denver will probably drop below a coin of one loss teams who were ranked first or second earlier .
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:18 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:49 pm Great win by Yale to hand #1 Denver its first loss of the season, 15-13. ...

As I recall, the two previous times Yale knocked off the #1 team were in 2018 (Albany at Reese) and 2019 (Penn State at Reese). Of course, Yale also won the NCAA semi-final re-matches those years. But today's win seems all the more impressive for being on the opponent's home turf, and for having two of the almost-certain starting attackmen out injured.

Today's results set up an intriguing, and potentially high-quality, Ivy opener between ancient rivals Yale and Harvard, in New Haven. Really looking forward to it!
By the way, Fann, my pre-season joking prediction of a "Special K line" of is sort of coming true -- Krevsky, Keib, and Kuhl are all big contributors, even though Kuhl has been lining up at attack and not midfield. And you're right that it's an awfully intriguing H-Y matchup for the Ivy opener.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Good article in Inside Lacrosse with some additional color on today's game: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... guez/62791

Among other nuggets, it reported that defender. Xander Martin went down in warmups. He was slated to start in place of DeMuth (also hurt, apparently), so Eric Platten stepped in. Congrats to Eric on his first career start.

In looking back at the Penn State loss I think the loss of DeMuth from the starting defense was something I didn't focus on enough. During today's game I could also see one of the top LSMs, Miklaszewski, on the sideline in sweats. So it's not just the guys on the offensive side of the ball (Sharp, Johnson, Lyons) who are missed -- it's been tough on the defensive side of the ball as well. It makes this good 3-1 start even more impressive. Edited to add: I wonder if #4 might also be battling injury? He got a lot of time at LSM as a first-year and started on close defense last year, and the stat sheet says he's only appeared in one game in 2024.
Last edited by The Orfling on Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Speaking of recollections, in the pre-season you expressed hope that the Rodriguez/Ramsey face-off combination might have even more upside than last year -- that's certainly been the case so far.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:37 am

Speaking of recollections, in the pre-season you expressed hope that the Rodriguez/Ramsey face-off combination might have even more upside than last year -- that's certainly been the case so far.
Yes, the FOGO combination looked very strong in fall ball. That day the starting defense featured Platten and Pisano, and looked good. Chris Fake might not have been starter his freshman year were it not for Hynes's injury.
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

DeMuth is not hurt..he lost his spot to Martin...Xander hurt his foot in warmups and may be out for a bit unfortunately..Was at the game and tailgate and sounds like Johnson and Lyons have both redshirted...
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

XLdad wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:06 pm DeMuth is not hurt..he lost his spot to Martin...Xander hurt his foot in warmups and may be out for a bit unfortunately..Was at the game and tailgate and sounds like Johnson and Lyons have both redshirted...
Thanks, XLdad, we appreciate your input/insights as a current “friend of the program.” Best wishes to Xander Martin for a speedy recovery.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

So, Johnson and Lyons are both out for the year (presumably taking the semester off)?

Overall, this year has already been a workaround of injuries and flu, etc. Hats off to the team for playing at its high level.

Big game coming up. So weird to see Harvard first on the lvy slate of games.
Lux et veritas
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

Mid-Lax wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:51 pm So, Johnson and Lyons are both out for the year (presumably taking the semester off)?

Overall, this year has already been a workaround of injuries and flu, etc. Hats off to the team for playing at its high level.

Not taking this semester off, I don’t believe. I’d imagine the next two fall semesters if they plan on using their last year at Yale
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

Ice1570 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:49 pm
Mid-Lax wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:51 pm So, Johnson and Lyons are both out for the year (presumably taking the semester off)?

Not taking this semester off, I don’t believe. I’d imagine the next two fall semesters if they plan on using their last year at Yale
I guess they could have withdrawn or still can, but Lyons played in the first scrimmage so he was enrolled.
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

Johnson and Lyons are both enrolled in spring classes..Havent decided on future plans...
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I don't believe there are redshirts at Ivys so they would need some combination of semesters off to be able to play out the full string.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yale's closest neighbor, Quinnipiac, is now 5-0, with wins over Brown, Bryant (in RI) and Merrimack. I hope Quinni gets back on Yale's schedule. Yale played Michigan in 2018, 2019 and (the last game played) in 2020; it would be nice to revive the series, while maintaining Penn State and Denver. I guess Tillman isn't interested in putting the Elis back on the Terps' schedule. I hope Albany bounces back from its current doldrums.

Go Yale, BEAT HARVARD!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Yale looking dominant 8-4 part way through Q2.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Before the game started, I counted 7 Yale players not suited up, out injured. Looked to me like the Yale D was playing match-up zone a few times; easier for me to tell in the first quarter.

Encouraging first half; need to stay focused and intense.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”