Yale 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Yale 2024

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Lax3 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:31 pm Yale tries to win on one leg again to no avail. Kudos to Machado for giving it a shot but can't lose 80% of the faceoffs and have a shot to win. The car ran out of gas - too many injuries to beat a decent but hardly great Princeton team.
What’s the Princeton goal differential going back to 2022? You are right, it’s a not a great Princeton team but a good team. Better days ahead for the Tigers.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:33 pm
Lax3 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:31 pm Yale tries to win on one leg again to no avail. Kudos to Machado for giving it a shot but can't lose 80% of the faceoffs and have a shot to win. The car ran out of gas - too many injuries to beat a decent but hardly great Princeton team.
What’s the Princeton goal differential going back to 2022? You are right, it’s a not a great Princeton team but a good team. Better days ahead for the Tigers.
-37 the last five games
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Good effort from the Bulldogs but they couldn't solve Gianforcaro (they never did -- he played lights out against them every game he faced them); they just couldn't figure out EMO (0-2); they got badly hurt on man down defense (Princeton was 3 of 4, including scoring two in a momentum killing non-releasable early in the second half -- which was correctly called); and, as others commented, just couldn't overcome a major disparity at the X (kudos to Rodriguez and Ramsey for giving it their best effort while hobbled). Some nice bright spots -- Paquette played well in goal; the clearing game was good (in part due to good decisions by Paquette); and the effort was there throughout.

If this is the final game of 2024 -- and I suspect it will be -- the Bulldogs gave it their all and played high-intensity, entertaining lacrosse.
Typical Lax Dad

Ice1570 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:36 pm
-37 the last five games
Decent
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The Orfling wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:50 pm Good effort from the Bulldogs but they couldn't solve Gianforcaro (they never did -- he played lights out against them every game he faced them); they just couldn't figure out EMO (0-2); they got badly hurt on man down defense (Princeton was 3 of 4, including scoring two in a momentum killing non-releasable early in the second half -- which was correctly called); and, as others commented, just couldn't overcome a major disparity at the X (kudos to Rodriguez and Ramsey for giving it their best effort while hobbled). Some nice bright spots -- Paquette played well in goal; the clearing game was good (in part due to good decisions by Paquette); and the effort was there throughout.

If this is the final game of 2024 -- and I suspect it will be -- the Bulldogs gave it their all and played high-intensity, entertaining lacrosse.
And congrats to Coach Bamford and the Yale women's team -- they won a tight one against Harvard and play for the Ivy League tournament title on Sunday.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:12 am
The Orfling wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:50 pm Good effort from the Bulldogs but they couldn't solve Gianforcaro (they never did -- he played lights out against them every game he faced them); they just couldn't figure out EMO (0-2); they got badly hurt on man down defense (Princeton was 3 of 4, including scoring two in a momentum killing non-releasable early in the second half -- which was correctly called); and, as others commented, just couldn't overcome a major disparity at the X (kudos to Rodriguez and Ramsey for giving it their best effort while hobbled). Some nice bright spots -- Paquette played well in goal; the clearing game was good (in part due to good decisions by Paquette); and the effort was there throughout.

And congrats to Coach Bamford and the Yale women's team -- they won a tight one against Harvard and play for the Ivy League tournament title on Sunday.
Yes, gallant effort yesterday evening. I was very surprised to see Ramsey taking any draws after the way he came off the field in the first Princeton game. Rodriguez tried, but was clearly way below 100% fit. By the end, even Stuzin was taking a face-off. Good game Paquette, and when the Elis closed to within one at 11-10 mid-way through the 4th, anything seemed possible. However, as Orfling tellingly suggested a few weeks ago, the FOGO injuries would prove to be the straws that broke the camel's back.

I too suspect that we just saw Yale's last game of the season; but I'll hold off until we've seen what happens Sunday. Speaking of Sunday, good luck to Ivy Coach of the Year Bamford and the Yale women's team that might be playing in the rain.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:53 pm
-37 the last five games
Decent
A quick post to emphasize that in focusing on Yale's injuries that's not downplaying how well Princeton has played down the stretch, and against Yale in particular. Yale was healthy last year and got thumped twice by Princeton. Great week for the Tigers, for sure. Yale might have had a shot at them early in the season when the Tigers were figuring things out but things have really come together now for Princeton.
Typical Lax Dad

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:43 am
-37 the last five games
Decent
A quick post to emphasize that in focusing on Yale's injuries that's not downplaying how well Princeton has played down the stretch, and against Yale in particular. Yale was healthy last year and got thumped twice by Princeton. Great week for the Tigers, for sure. Yale might have had a shot at them early in the season when the Tigers were figuring things out but things have really come together now for Princeton.
No problem. The guy’s post was just dismissive. I wish I had a chance to meet you with Fannolax last week. I was hustling and got there late. Yale achieved a lot given the injuries. It happens. Should be better next year.
coda

Post by coda »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:43 am
-37 the last five games
Decent
I am not sure you can take a lot from those last 2 game between Princeton and Yale. Princeton won something around 75% of Faceoffs. GIo was over 60% in save percentage. Shots were remarkably close. Not sure how either plays out, if Yale had a credible option at the X
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

A fond farewell to the 2024 edition of Yale men's lacrosse. Special thanks to Matt Brandau, Jack Ocken, Bryce De Muth and Thomas Bragg for taking semesters off to play all four of their years for Yale in spite of the pandemic. Harvard came to Reese undefeated, and Yale's win over the ancient adversary is my highlight of the season, especially Patrick Hackler's 70+ yard man-down goal. ONE!
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Hear hear! I have said all year that I thought this was the coach’s best coaching job of his tenure given the rash of full-year injuries that hit the team early in the season. There are very few teams that could have done what Yale did with two starting attackmen, the top midfielder, and a starting pole out for the year. This team was on a serious roll and ready to jump into the Ivy League tournament, playing as well as any team in the country not named Notre Dame. And then the two FOGOs who constituted one of the finest faceoff groups in the country go down … which was too much. The proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back.

Defense was better than it has been over the past few years so maybe the recovery on that side of the business is occurring. Offensively, we will all miss Brandau very, very much. One of the smoothest, most effective players that has ever donned the white and blue uniform. He covered a lot of deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball this season with his two co-starters out for the season. At the goalie position, it will be an interesting 2025 season with the highest ranked high school goalie in the country coming in. Conrad and Paquette will have their hands full next season.

Thank you as well to the senior class for their amazing commitment to the program!
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Lax3 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:04 am Hear hear! I have said all year that I thought this was the coach’s best coaching job of his tenure given the rash of full-year injuries that hit the team early in the season. There are very few teams that could have done what Yale did with two starting attackmen, the top midfielder, and a starting pole out for the year. This team was on a serious roll and ready to jump into the Ivy League tournament, playing as well as any team in the country not named Notre Dame. And then the two FOGOs who constituted one of the finest faceoff groups in the country go down … which was too much. The proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back.

Defense was better than it has been over the past few years so maybe the recovery on that side of the business is occurring. Offensively, we will all miss Brandau very, very much. One of the smoothest, most effective players that has ever donned the white and blue uniform. He covered a lot of deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball this season with his two co-starters out for the season. At the goalie position, it will be an interesting 2025 season with the highest ranked high school goalie in the country coming in. Conrad and Paquette will have their hands full next season.

Thank you as well to the senior class for their amazing commitment to the program!
I don’t know where you are seeing an improvement on defense. Their adjusted defensive efficiency was pretty much the same as it was last year (31.8% vs 32.2%), 53rd in the country and ranking behind even Dartmouth and Brown.

Its looked like more of the same. Poor communication, losing cutters off ball, inconsistent slides, and expecting their goalies to bail them out. They were able to offset it by having stellar face off play and a great offense, but once the faceoffs went away the unit got exposed.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Sloppy writing on my part - you are correct that the defense was not much improved! My mistake on that one. It isn't clear why this defense is so disconnected and also why they are so non-physical on the field. Watching the Penn defense ... they hit more in one game than Yale did all season. Not that hitting is the end all be all, but the lack of physicality left the goalkeeper stranded on an island so often with straight-on shots.

Good call out.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congratulations to 5 Bulldogs (four of whom will be back in '25) for receiving USA Lacrosse Magaziine All American recognition:
  • Matt Brandau: 1st team
  • Max Krevsky: 3rd team
  • Patrick Pisano: Honorable Mention
  • Mac Rodriguez: Honorable Mention
  • Jack Stuzin: Honorable Mention
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The Orfling wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:47 pm Congratulations to 5 Bulldogs (four of whom will be back in '25) for receiving USA Lacrosse Magaziine All American recognition:
  • Matt Brandau: 1st team
  • Max Krevsky: 3rd team
  • Patrick Pisano: Honorable Mention
  • Mac Rodriguez: Honorable Mention
  • Jack Stuzin: Honorable Mention
And congrats to all 9 of the Bulldog All-Ivy Honorees (6 of whom are returning in '25):
First team: Matt Brandau; Max Krevsky; Patrick Pisano; Mac Rodriguez; Jack Stuzin
Second team: Jack Monfort
Honorable Mention: Patrick Hackler; Johnny Keib; Carson Kuhl
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

before brandau heads off to other pastures, wanted to chime in on him. since his freshman year, to me he was an absolute standout. they don't make the championship game without him. how often do you say that about freshmen?

~75 points, and 50 of them were goals, many of the take your guy to the rack variety. just insane for high level play 1st year. then 2 other pretty otherwordly years and another that any team would take for an attackman.

not sure how often it's been mentioned, but his transformation into a conductor of the offense has got to be one of the most underrated things he's done... that's not easy and he did it seamlessly and at a monster level. again, how many guys have done that? and while still scoring as needed at a high clip, low shot volume.

last, the guy has to be the most efficient offense director in the country. sees the play before the pass gets to him. sets up angles to get guys the ball. and it's out of his stick before you know what happened, and on target. he's pat spencer without the ball carrying. when trying to chase down/choose ivy games over these years to watch, it was often yale and to see him operate. i've said he's one of the best 4 guys in the country since his 2nd full year. will miss seeing him play, sad he doesn't get a last shot at an nc$$ run. but my guess he wouldn't change anything riding with his guys.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:41 am before brandau heads off to other pastures, wanted to chime in on him. since his freshman year, to me he was an absolute standout. they don't make the championship game without him. how often do you say that about freshmen?

~75 points, and 50 of them were goals, many of the take your guy to the rack variety. just insane for high level play 1st year. then 2 other pretty otherwordly years and another that any team would take for an attackman.

not sure how often it's been mentioned, but his transformation into a conductor of the offense has got to be one of the most underrated things he's done... that's not easy and he did it seamlessly and at a monster level. again, how many guys have done that? and while still scoring as needed at a high clip, low shot volume.

last, the guy has to be the most efficient offense director in the country. sees the play before the pass gets to him. sets up angles to get guys the ball. and it's out of his stick before you know what happened, and on target. he's pat spencer without the ball carrying. when trying to chase down/choose ivy games over these years to watch, it was often yale and to see him operate. i've said he's one of the best 4 guys in the country since his 2nd full year. will miss seeing him play, sad he doesn't get a last shot at an nc$$ run. but my guess he wouldn't change anything riding with his guys.
wgdsr, thanks for the great and insightful post on Matt Brandau. Can't improve on your analysis and appreciate the shout-out for this standout player. In "internet stupidity 2024 world" there were lots of shots at him for his age, but he gave up a lot to stay at Yale with his teammates and coaches and made a tremendous impact.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”