Yale 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Lax3

Re: Yale 2024

Post by Lax3 »

The most interesting aspect of this recent Yale out-of-conference run, by far, is the splitting of goalkeeping responsibilities. To the best of my knowledge, this has never occurred under Shay's direction. Curious whether long-time Yale supporters view this as I do - a real chance to see if the younger guy is better than the four-year starter for playoff purposes. Another theory is that they are simply trying to split duties to rest Paquette a bit, but I don't see that as what is occurring here. It would be fascinating if Shay went to the younger guy this late in a season that to-date has exceeded expectations due to injuries.
coda

Post by coda »

Whats the story on FOGO for Yale this weekend? That seems to be the crux of this game. Are they going to get a FOGO back or still having to roll the 3rd string guy out?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Lax3 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 am The most interesting aspect of this recent Yale out-of-conference run, by far, is the splitting of goalkeeping responsibilities. To the best of my knowledge, this has never occurred under Shay's direction. Curious whether long-time Yale supporters view this as I do - a real chance to see if the younger guy is better than the four-year starter for playoff purposes. Another theory is that they are simply trying to split duties to rest Paquette a bit, but I don't see that as what is occurring here. It would be fascinating if Shay went to the younger guy this late in a season that to-date has exceeded expectations due to injuries.
Yes, it is interesting, and as far as I know also unprecedented. Of all the positions, goalies would seem to have the least need for being rested. Perhaps another possibility is that Shay wants to give Conrad real-game experience for the coming years. Since Paquette is a junior (not a senior), I think the most likely answer is that there is real competition for the starting position for playoff purposes. Tomorrow's Princeton game could give us an additional clue or two.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

On goalie: Merely from an observer’s standpoint (no inside knowledge) I agree with the supposition that the coaching staff is trying to evaluate options for the late-season. The staff generally likes to find a starter and stick with him, has been my sense, so this is somewhat unusual. They have shown a willingness to start a younger goaltender (in 2018 and again in 2022) although that was really at the outset of the season. (It is also true that in 2016 and 2017 when Yale was looking for who their next goalie would be after the three-year starter who graduated in 2015, more than one player got the start throughout the season.)

#28 has had flashes of brilliance (late in the BU game) but his save percentage is down (about 48%). #38 has played well in about 20% of the minutes, with a save percentage of about 63%, but has not faced the same caliber of offenses as #28. I wouldn’t be totally surprised if we see a planned split tomorrow vs. Princeton as well.

For FOGO, the announcers for the Albany game mentioned that Mac Rodriguez was dressed and warmed up for that most recent game, so I’d say there’s a solid shot he plays tomorrow but with injuries one never knows. #8 is a senior and it is Senior Day and it would be great if he were healthy enough to get some reps but haven’t heard the same more encouraging update on him as on Mac R.
coda

Post by coda »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:40 pm On goalie: Merely from an observer’s standpoint (no inside knowledge) I agree with the supposition that the coaching staff is trying to evaluate options for the late-season. The staff generally likes to find a starter and stick with him, has been my sense, so this is somewhat unusual. They have shown a willingness to start a younger goaltender (in 2018 and again in 2022) although that was really at the outset of the season. (It is also true that in 2016 and 2017 when Yale was looking for who their next goalie would be after the three-year starter who graduated in 2015, more than one player got the start throughout the season.)

#28 has had flashes of brilliance (late in the BU game) but his save percentage is down (about 48%). #38 has played well in about 20% of the minutes, with a save percentage of about 63%, but has not faced the same caliber of offenses as #28. I wouldn’t be totally surprised if we see a planned split tomorrow vs. Princeton as well.

For FOGO, the announcers for the Albany game mentioned that Mac Rodriguez was dressed and warmed up for that most recent game, so I’d say there’s a solid shot he plays tomorrow but with injuries one never knows. #8 is a senior and it is Senior Day and it would be great if he were healthy enough to get some reps but haven’t heard the same more encouraging update on him as on Mac R.
tough game to call without knowing on FOGO. Love Princeton if they control possession. That flips if Ramsey plays.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

You're likely to see Princeton twice in seven days. Could that have something to do with these personnel decisons?
coda

Post by coda »

Ivyman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:15 pm You're likely to see Princeton twice in seven days. Could that have something to do with these personnel decisons?
Yale is just so beat up. I would vote Shay Ivy coach of the Year (though the next 2 games could change that)
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Ivyman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:15 pm You're likely to see Princeton twice in seven days. Could that have something to do with these personnel decisons?
Yes, good thought. Maybe you platoon goalies to see if one does appreciably better against this talented Princeton offense.

I’d suspect the coaching staff has a “we play who is in front of us no matter who” attitude, as does the team, but if Yale were to win on Saturday and Princeton is relegated to the 4th seed (with a loss Princeton is either in as the #4 seed or out if a Princeton loss is accompanied by a Brown win), Yale would seem to have a better first round match-up against Penn.

I would not want to see Yale lose to Princeton Saturday, lose in the ILT first round, and become “bubble out” for the NCAAs. (I know some folks think they are close to safe now so perhaps that’s not a real worry — but if the Ivy League sticks at 2 bids (where it could land), Yale could get aced out by Cornell and a Princeton or Penn team that wins the ILT.)
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:51 pm ...
I would not want to see Yale lose to Princeton Saturday, lose in the ILT first round, and become “bubble out” for the NCAAs. (I know some folks think they are close to safe now so perhaps that’s not a real worry — but if the Ivy League sticks at 2 bids (where it could land), Yale could get aced out by Cornell and a Princeton or Penn team that wins the ILT.)
Well Orfling, the NCAAs are a whole other can of worms. Yale is now 11-2. If that becomes 11-4, I'll be a bit worried about making the dance, and there'd be absolutely no chance of a first-round NCAA game at Reese. Finishing 14-2 might be improbable, but I'd be confident of getting a first-round home game. There are several other possibilities, but I'm inclined to see what happens in tomorrow's three Ivy games before speculating any further.
coda

Post by coda »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 pm
The Orfling wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:51 pm ...
Well Orfling, the NCAAs are a whole other can of worms. Yale is now 11-2. If that becomes 11-4, I'll be a bit worried about making the dance, and there'd be absolutely no chance of a first-round NCAA game at Reese. Finishing 14-2 might be improbable, but I'd be confident of getting a first-round home game. There are several other possibilities, but I'm inclined to see what happens in tomorrow's three Ivy games before speculating any further.
0-2 would definitely be bubble territory.. RPI as of now:

Maryland

Cornell

Penn State

Yale

Georgetown

Penn

Army

Michigan

that is the competition. It will depend on them. Probably should have added Virginia. They could get on the bubble losing the next 2 also.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

All a long way of saying that tomorrow's game is still very important to Yale even apart from Senior Day and a share of the regular season Ivy title up for grabs -- there are those lurking RPI/NCAA selection implications.

And on the subject of Senior Day -- this departing group has been so impactful. It's a funny COVID-era footnote that in an athletic program that only has one captain per team, this group includes the 2023 captain, Bryce De Muth, as well as the 2024 captain, Patrick Hackler. Others being honored are Thomas Bragg; Matt Brandau; Brett Mallee; Xander Martin; Jack Monfort; Jack Ocken; Clay Ostrover; Korbin Pecora; and Nicholas Ramsey.

The exploits of many of the above 11 are well known but it's a testament to all to have stayed with the program through thick and thin (and 2021 with no lacrosse in the Ivies was pretty thin), and some members of the group such as Brett Mallee and Xander Martin played some of their best lacrosse for Yale this year when called upon.

Thank you to all those being honored on 2024 Senior Day.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Congratulations to Matt Brandau for becoming the Ivy League's all-time leader in points. Matt did what he could today, but well... at least the final score today wasn't as bad as last year's Yale home game against Cornell. Yale was 20 for 20 clearing today, a true bright spot.

It was definitely a pleasure talking to Orfling before the game, and during the game to a Yale grad student who'd played D3 lacrosse. The weather is starting to feel like what I consider to be good lacrosse weather.

As far as I could tell, Mac Rodriguez was fully dressed for the game, and less bandaged up than frosh Annuziata who took most of face-offs for Yale. If I had to guess, I'd say that Shay stuck with the plan that was also used during the Hofstra and Albany games: save Rodriguez for tourney games, and play the top two goalies one half each to decide who's the man for tournament play. Frosh LSM Michalik even took a few draws, and did Stuzin take one? Beyond Princeton winning 21 of 27 face-offs, Princeton picked up six more groundballs than Yale, and the possession deficit was pretty much overwhelming. That, and Princeton's goalie Gianfocaro was excellent, the defense in front of him good. Hopefully Yale does better Friday against a Princeton team that looked very good today.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Kudos to Princeton for a good effort today especially in goal. Princeton goalie didn't face much in terms of firepower but he saved what he was asked to save plus some. A good win for Princeton.

For Yale, this game was over before it started with the only three FOGOs all seriously injured. Faceoffs from the get-go were a "make it take it" exercise for Princeton, rendering this one of the most boring games I have ever watched at Reese. Of the six face offs that Yale did win out of 27, two turned turnovers immediately which meant it was really a 23-4 disadvantage. Yale would not have beaten a good D3 team with that differential.

Yale fans can only hope that Rodriguez can play on Friday with Ramsey out for the year - the sixth starter gone for the season - and the frosh hurt as well.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I agree with the assessments of Fann and Lax3. (And what a pleasure to meet Fann is person before the game!) I attended the double-header at Reese(men at noon, women at 3:30) and congratulations to the Yale Women's Lacrosse team for a 7-0 Ivy season and the regular season title. Great team and great program, and it's good to see how the men's and women's programs continue to support one another.

The faceoffs were a tough element of the game, but as others have said, Princeton played awfully well and with tremendous intensity. Gianforcaro was truly superb -- as good as he has been in his career (and that's pretty darn good), he always seems to take it to another level against the Bulldogs (66% this time).

A bright spot for Friday is that there is the potential for a couple key things to "flip the script" so there's not just a feeling of "why will the outcome be different" a week later. First, as Lax3 and Fann both mentioned, possibly getting this year's #1 FOGO, #37, back in action, could be a big boost for Yale. Secondly, although I'm no goaltending expert, I think in this four game stretch (and in the Princeton game), #38 has been playing better than #28 so it's possible that we'll see a different starter in the net. At Saturday's game, #28 had some terrific saves but there a couple of stretches where it seemed like he just wasn't seeing the ball well.

With all that said, Princeton does feel like a team that is peaking at the right time. They'll be a tough out next weekend.
Double Sessions

Post by Double Sessions »

Feels like tonight is a must-win for Yale for an at-large, which might drive a higher risk tolerance regarding which FOGOs play. Don’t think Yale needs to win the ILT to get in but does need this one. Curious to know if folks are aligned to that view.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Yale tries to win on one leg again to no avail. Kudos to Machado for giving it a shot but can't lose 80% of the faceoffs and have a shot to win. The car ran out of gas - too many injuries to beat a decent but hardly great Princeton team.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Lax3 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:31 pm Yale tries to win on one leg again to no avail. Kudos to Machado for giving it a shot but can't lose 80% of the faceoffs and have a shot to win. The car ran out of gas - too many injuries to beat a decent but hardly great Princeton team.
Who was injured on Yale's side tonight from a starter's perspective?
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

norcalhop wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 pm
Lax3 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:31 pm Yale tries to win on one leg again to no avail. Kudos to Machado for giving it a shot but can't lose 80% of the faceoffs and have a shot to win. The car ran out of gas - too many injuries to beat a decent but hardly great Princeton team.
Both fogos were hurt tonight and hobbling around. Not sure about anybody else unless they are referring to Lyons, Johnson, and Sharp who have been out the whole season. Scary to think what this Yale offense could have been if they were healthy.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Good effort. Disappointing outcome.
Lux et veritas
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

norcalhop wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 pm
Eric Platten…one of their starting defensemen, in addition to the aforementioned top two fogos.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”