Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by Finster »

AreaLax wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:10 pm Wave 3 was just released of who is invited to play at former Under Armor Senior All-America Lacrosse Game.
Thomas Gravino, Victor (N.Y.), Maryland
Sean Creter, Hunterdon Central (N.J.), Maryland
Elijah Stobaugh, IMG Academy (Fla.), Maryland

It’s unfamiliar territory for Terp fans to not be playing m Memorial Day weekend, so I think we can excuse some of the online concern about the incoming recruiting class. What concerns me far more is that after all these years of success, any of you could for a minute doubt Coach Tillman’s ability to figure it out. The guy wins. That’s all he does. In my book he’s the best coach in the game. Consider yourselves lucky.

By the way, I think you’ll see Gravino on the field all season next year. The guy is as good as it gets. You’ll see. Upstate NY boy, he meshes well with Tillman.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Here's how I think it shakes out

A: Malever, Erksa, Kelly
1M: Spanos, Whittier, Murphy
2M: Maltz, Brennan, Koras

FO: Wierman, Creter
SSDM: Kolar, Redd, Coffman, ???
LSM: McDonald, Larkin, ???
Close: Zaps, Schaller, Burlace

Goal: McNaney, Ruppel

I personally would target a midfielder in the portal if one becomes available. They need shooting from the outside. Perhaps Murphy could provide it if he meshes at midfield, which is I penciled him in there, but if a good option becomes available I'd go for it.

Probably need a shortie or two from the portal. Redd was good this year and Kolar had his moments and will def improve as a sophomore, Coffman coming back could be awesome but not sure you want to bank on him being what he was after two knee injuries so I'd def go for one to get a 4th guy and maybe another as insurance though you do have Gibbons and Cope and possibly someone will be moved into that spot from the incoming class

LSM I could see maybe adding a guy. Having 3 would be nice as we saw in '22. Larkin fits the mold there incredibly well though I believe and after a year in the program should be primed to break out

Close will be tremendous with Zaps, Schaller, and Burlace.

McNaney's net when he comes back and hopefully Ruppel still gets chances to play and improves his game from this year for 2025.

I'd work in some reps for Creter so Wierman is fresh for May and to get him ready to take over for '25, and maybe if Creter is tremendous right away it could serve as a potent duo the way Michigan had or Notre Dame had with Gallagher and Leonard a few years back.

Overall the offense looks potentially really, really good with Malever and Erksa causing headaches at attack and a 1st MF that's much improved from this year with another year for Spanos and Whittier. Will have scoring depth as well. Need to shore up depth at the rope unit but close and goal and faceoff tremendous again. It lines up for a team that's in the Top 5 and a Final Four contender.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Without any portal attrition, you have 10 offensive players with a lot of experience to fill 9 spots.

Siracusa wouldn't come back unless he's playing.

So you have Malever, Erksa, Kelly, Koras, Brennan, Maltz, Whittier, Spanos, Siracusa, and Murphy.

The Spanos/Whittier/Siracusa combo has a ton of chemistry. Murphy mixed in all year with Koras and Brennan. I wonder if the coaches will want to do much tinkering.

I think Tills will looks for a couple of shorties and a LSM in the portal.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Finster wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:02 pm
AreaLax wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:10 pm Wave 3 was just released of who is invited to play at former Under Armor Senior All-America Lacrosse Game.
Thomas Gravino, Victor (N.Y.), Maryland
Sean Creter, Hunterdon Central (N.J.), Maryland
Elijah Stobaugh, IMG Academy (Fla.), Maryland

It’s unfamiliar territory for Terp fans to not be playing m Memorial Day weekend, so I think we can excuse some of the online concern about the incoming recruiting class. What concerns me far more is that after all these years of success, any of you could for a minute doubt Coach Tillman’s ability to figure it out. The guy wins. That’s all he does. In my book he’s the best coach in the game. Consider yourselves lucky.

By the way, I think you’ll see Gravino on the field all season next year. The guy is as good as it gets. You’ll see. Upstate NY boy, he meshes well with Tillman.
Don't make stuff up; nobody is doubting Tillman.

As for next year; I thought Stamos and Aitken showed nice potential against Team USA, Signorello earned maaningful pt early this season, and Davidson was hurt but also showed some nice potential on tape. So there's other guys who will pop up next fall as players.

Also, is it known if Mullane can/desires to return (5th year but injured)? Seems like he would have gotten an opportunity until they figured out he was hurt.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Agree with Keno, #2 in fall looked explosive and aggressive on offense. I think he as well as #3 will get their chance. Stamos looked decent as well. Would have liked a solid 2way like exPrinceton Stevens. Oh well.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:49 pm Without any portal attrition, you have 10 offensive players with a lot of experience to fill 9 spots.

So you have Malever, Erksa, Kelly, Koras, Brennan, Maltz, Whittier, Spanos, Siracusa, and Murphy.

The Spanos/Whittier/Siracusa combo has a ton of chemistry. Murphy mixed in all year with Koras and Brennan. I wonder if the coaches will want to do much tinkering.

I mean, respectfully, the offense wasn’t good enough to just keep it as is. Koras and Brennan and Long as a unit wasn’t good and Murphy mixing in for Brennan was better but it wasn’t a successful unit. If you have an offense that ranks where it did, you should be open to tinkering. Doesn’t mean wholesale changes, as Malever, Erksa, Spanos, Whittier and Kelly involved in some regard is a pretty set 5, but after last year some tinkering should be on the table. I don’t think the lineups were as optimized as they should have been; for example by the end of the year Spanos should have been running attack or at least taking both shifts at MF.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:10 am
Wheels wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:49 pm Without any portal attrition, you have 10 offensive players with a lot of experience to fill 9 spots.

I mean, respectfully, the offense wasn’t good enough to just keep it as is. Koras and Brennan and Long as a unit wasn’t good and Murphy mixing in for Brennan was better but it wasn’t a successful unit. If you have an offense that ranks where it did, you should be open to tinkering. Doesn’t mean wholesale changes, as Malever, Erksa, Spanos, Whittier and Kelly involved in some regard is a pretty set 5, but after last year some tinkering should be on the table. I don’t think the lineups were as optimized as they should have been; for example by the end of the year Spanos should have been running attack or at least taking both shifts at MF.
No inside information here at all, but I'd be surprised if one or two players didn't hit the portal. It's either going to be guys who've graduated or guys with at least 2 years of eligibility (i.e., academically, a transfer will work). The first MF line suffered when Brennan went into his season long shooting funk. For whatever reason, Brennan literally couldn't shoot high-to-low...even when he tried to. So he goes into a funk. Long pressed a lot, and let's be honest. Several of his turnovers this year wouldn't have been turnovers last year because throwing passes into the middle to Donville and Khan or throwing to where DeMaio and Wisnauskas would have been didn't work well with younger, less experienced players. But he did force things, too. But his TO numbers suffered from not playing with a bunch of PLL draft picks. Koras had a period during the season where he dealt with the death of girlfriend's mother. You can probably literally see when that happened when looking at his scoring numbers from week-to-week.

The deal with Murphy is that he's incredibly talented but can be hard to play with. Not from a personality perspective but from a predictability perspective. He'll carry when he should pass. He'll pass when he should carry. He'll shoot when he shoot pass. He'll pass when he should shoot. The way the offense works is that guys react to whatever their teammates are doing. Murphy made it hard at times for people play off of. When all he had to do was stand at the top left of the box and fire bombs from 12 yards, everyone knew what to expect and knew where he'd be.

The offense would have been better if Malever wasn't injured. Would it have been Top 10? Probably not. Would it have been Top 20? Most likely.

In terms of shooters, one of the things we'll all see more of next year is Spanos's shooting. Go back and watch his Malvern highlights. The guy can shoot it. He thought too much this past season and wouldn't shoot it much from 10+. That's going to change. Siracusa can also really sling it from 10+.

With Erksa and Malever next season, you'll have the Shellenberger-Moore set up. All of the sudden, Kelly will have more opportunities from the wing. Koras will get back to finishing inside. Things will naturally look different. Word on Malever is that he's quicker now than he's ever been. Got stronger and dropped a little weight. He's not wearing a brace at all and is back to full speed reps.
Paterp

Post by Paterp »

Wheels can you comment on Aitkens, Stamos and Davidson. Also not hearing any talk on Reese.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Paterp wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:49 am Wheels can you comment on Aitkens, Stamos and Davidson. Also not hearing any talk on Reese.
Think Aitken's was hurt this year. Davidson was on the scout team, as was Stamos. Haven't heard or seen much about Reese, but I do seem to recall some talk in the fall about him redshirting. But I could be wrong at that.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Six Terps were named USILA All-Americans
1st team-Makar
2nd team-Geppert, Zappitello
3rd team-Trader, Wierman
HM-Long
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jff97 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:23 pm Six Terps were named USILA All-Americans
1st team-Makar
3rd team-Trader, Wierman
HM-Long
Shame the didn’t give Erksa HM. Finished the season 26/22 G/A
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

1st team-Makar
3rd team-Trader, Wierman
HM-Long
Glad Geppert got recognized, though ironically this was probably his least productive year (due to injury) since he was a freshman. But the selection stuff is just goofy all around. Long getting recognized at all, but especially over Erksa stands out. On UVA, McConvey a 1st team vs. Cormier HM is a joke. Even Shellenberger over Dickson is wrong assuming this was based on pre-NCAA production.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:51 pm
1st team-Makar
3rd team-Trader, Wierman
HM-Long
Shame the didn’t give Erksa HM. Finished the season 26/22 G/A
The biggest issue I have with these lists is that the voters sometimes seem to decide it's this player's year to be on a team based on seniority and go from there. Definitely been happening with Makar and Zappitello this year. As for Erksa, it's really hard to get on this list as an attackman, but I was a little surprised not to see him get an HM nod considering how he finished the year. I'd be shocked if he wasn't on the preseason lists next year.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Not sure I like the line up of Erksa, Kelly and Malevar at attack. Think we need two strong dodgers that will consistently draw a pole. We saw at the end of the season Kelly got a short stick and I recall times when Malevar drew a short stick 2 seasons ago. I think Spanos at attack would be enough of a threat to consistently draw a pole. An attack of Spanos, Malevar and Erksa might be interesting.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:18 pm
1st team-Makar
3rd team-Trader, Wierman
HM-Long
Glad Geppert got recognized, though ironically this was probably his least productive year (due to injury) since he was a freshman. But the selection stuff is just goofy all around. Long getting recognized at all, but especially over Erksa stands out. On UVA, McConvey a 1st team vs. Cormier HM is a joke. Even Shellenberger over Dickson is wrong assuming this was based on pre-NCAA production.
McConvey is a MF and Cormier is an A. There wasn't a lot of competition for MF spots this year and McConvey was probably the most productive midfielder in the country. There was a lot more competition at A, even if I would have Cormier 2nd or 3rd Team.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

sportsfan wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:25 pm Not sure I like the line up of Erksa, Kelly and Malevar at attack. Think we need two strong dodgers that will consistently draw a pole. We saw at the end of the season Kelly got a short stick and I recall times when Malevar drew a short stick 2 seasons ago. I think Spanos at attack would be enough of a threat to consistently draw a pole. An attack of Spanos, Malevar and Erksa might be interesting.
Malever drew a short stick 2 years ago because he was running 2nd MF as a freshman and the guys who drew the poles were Wisnauskas, Bernhardt, Maltz and usually Griffin Brown, who was a 5th year senior who put up 21 goals in 6 games the year before.

Last year playing attack he drew a pole every game and had nearly 50 points. He may not be a Tewaaraton level guy like Wisnauskas or Bernhardt or Rambo but he would draw a pole and he's proven he has the foot speed to dodge and score. You should absolutely put him and Erksa on attack together and maybe Spanos too, because he needs to be on the field every time, but Malever is a threat against a pole
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Gibbons is transferring to Stonybrook for his Covid year
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

IL news dump
Maryland Adds Vermont's Canfield, Alviti

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2024/61612
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Not super familiar with Canfield, I imagine he’ll be depth at close D

Alviti is a really nice pickup at LSM, pretty much exactly who I was hoping they’d target. He could start, or at worst be very, very good #2/#3 guy. Shores things up nicely with McDonald and Larkin
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Looks like Canfield has two years of eligibility remaining.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”