D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by keno in reno »

Not according to the selection criteria and metrics, but it's possible
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:22 am Is it possible/ likely that MD lost at large bid with Penn state losing?
That would completely BLOW UP my buddies conspiracy theory that he said, Maryland, JHU and PSU were locks so the BIG conference "conspired" to have Michigan win the tourney and get all 4 in.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
DMac

Post by DMac »

If that's the case both the PSU and Michigan teams should be at the Oscars this year and up for best actor(s) award as PSU sure did a good job of making Michigan look like the better team.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

The Jays briefly looked better than UMich, but then they found the script.
All to ensure that Cornell doesn't get a bid.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:02 am The Jays briefly looked better than UMich, but then they found the script.
All to ensure that Cornell doesn't get a bid.
Ahh, the conspiracy theorists thank you.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:22 am Is it possible/ likely that MD lost at large bid with Penn state losing?
The last two at large teams are Maryland and Penn State. Maryland has a better resume than Penn State and Penn State beat Cornell and Yale. So no.

Even if they wanted to decide Penn State had a better resume than Maryland; Maryland has a better one than Penn and better than Cornell/Yale too.

The committee can always pull a surprise I suppose; but it’s pretty clear Maryland is in and also likely getting a home game
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:46 pm The turnovers are largely down to what we've talked about, there's no space on the offensive end and no one dodges with conviction, so they just force passes. You also only have 2 or 3 players who have the high level lacrosse IQ for the offense they want to run, and one of them in Malever has next to no explosiveness. So the ball is winding up in the sticks of guys who shouldn't have the ball in their stick that much.

I actually am not bothered too much by the forced passes, but there are multiple turnovers where the pass is just dropped or not made when there’s no pressure applied. We’ve seen this a lot this year, and that’s just not something that should happen.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Given some of the bracket projections (MD at 7 or 6), consider me surprised. I know the committee looks at the whole season and not just the last 2, but looking ahead, does the team have the confidence to win?

On one hand, Tills' scheduling made it possible to be in this position. On the other hand, the schedule beat the piss out them.

If they end up on Duke's side of the bracket, tell me you all wouldn't take that in a heartbeat!
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Don't mind being with Duke at all, and don't mind playing Princeton again. Wierman dominated that game.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:05 pm Given some of the bracket projections (MD at 7 or 6), consider me surprised. I know the committee looks at the whole season and not just the last 2, but looking ahead, does the team have the confidence to win?

On one hand, Tills' scheduling made it possible to be in this position. On the other hand, the schedule beat the piss out them.

If they end up on Duke's side of the bracket, tell me you all wouldn't take that in a heartbeat!
IL bracketology was better, syracuse in the qf. thats all assuming we can score a goal though
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

[email protected] wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:58 pm Don't mind being with Duke at all, and don't mind playing Princeton again. Wierman dominated that game.
Think its safe to say Princeton appears to be a much different team from when they played... and MD has very much regressed
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Princeton's goalie was unimpressive versus Penn today. There's a chance.
coda

Post by coda »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:02 pm
[email protected] wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:58 pm Don't mind being with Duke at all, and don't mind playing Princeton again. Wierman dominated that game.
Think its safe to say Princeton appears to be a much different team from when they played... and MD has very much regressed
If Wierman goes 20-23 again, Maryland will be fine. I have the same analysis for this game as the last few for Maryland. They will go as far as Wierman and McNaney can take them.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

coda wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:09 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:02 pm
If Wierman goes 20-23 again, Maryland will be fine. I have the same analysis for this game as the last few for Maryland. They will go as far as Wierman and McNaney can take them.
Faceoffs can go that way; although Princeton's McMeekin had a good year overall and looked good down the stretch, the Ivies were very weak at the FOGO position once Cornell lost its #1 FOGO to injury and all three of Yale's FOGOs got injured. Maybe he just matches up extremely poorly with Wierman, or maybe he was banged up that game and will play better. Even if Wierman dominates, Gianforcaro is capable of standing on his head in the goal so Princeton would still have a path to success, although it would be difficult. If you're Maryland, although Princeton is hot right now the potential faceoff dominance must have them feeling pretty good about the matchup.

In the tale of the tape, Princeton is better at attack and offensive midfield; Maryland has a better defense (although Princeton's D is playing well of late); Maryland presumably will do much better at the X; and both teams have very fine goaltenders. Hoping for a good game.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Both teams strengths pair up with the other's weakness

Princeton has a great offense; Maryland a great defense

Princeton's defense has been up and down this year; Maryland's offense obviously struggling greatly

Princeton not great on FOs; Maryland very strong

Both have good goalies as mentioned

If it becomes a track meet and above 80 possessions combined or so, Princeton's going to take it. Below 80, that's more Maryland's game

Wierman has had a lot of slow starts lately but gotten going in the 2H. Think they need him to be on it early, the way he was against Princeton in the first game, so Maryland can build a lead and dictate pace. The game was very even in the half field in the first game, but Terps dominated possessions (including riding well.) That's more of what Terps need

Overall, can't ask for a better match-up. Tigers are playing very well, going to be tough; but Terps get a home game, hopefully good crowd, and we'll see what they got
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

What a lucky bracket.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:12 pm What a lucky bracket.
I’m not so sure about that. Princeton is hot right now. Duke can explode at any time.

I think Michigan is the team that got lucky. Would have loved to be in that quadrant.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If they beat Penn State, they were going to be seeded 4th. And probably in that bracket.

I don't think it's lucky, but I don't mind it. They have some advantages over Princeton, plus have had their number last few years. And Duke is a volatile team. They can go on walks sometimes. You always like Tills in a quarterfinal.

It's tough, but doable. All you can ask for
Paddy Terp

Post by Paddy Terp »

Anyone know if a potential quarterfinal would be played at Towson, assuming a win vs. Princeton?
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Paddy Terp wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:43 am Anyone know if a potential quarterfinal would be played at Towson, assuming a win vs. Princeton?
Nope. Hofstra on 5/18

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”