#2 Virginia v. #3 Notre Dame: NCAA Semifinal 5/27 @ 2:30

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Gatsby

#2 Virginia v. #3 Notre Dame: NCAA Semifinal 5/27 @ 2:30

Post by Gatsby »

We gon talk about this game or not? I know Finster will. The Hopkins thread has already dissected their entire roster for next year.

Notre Dame is motivated by their snub. UVA has the recent history on its side. Entenmann is the top goalie. I think the NCAA was smart to make this game the headliner and not the opener. It's more interesting. The top two assisters are in this game. The brothers' backyard ball is harder when there are trees in the way.

It will probably be closer this time but same result.
molo

Re: #2 Virginia v. #3 Notre Dame: NCAA Semifinal 5/27 @ 2:30

Post by molo »

On the one hand, I think UVA should win because they have beaten ND fairly convincingly twice this year. On the other hand, it’s hard to beat a good team three times in a year. Sounds like the joke about the economist and two hands, but I failed economics. I’ll just make it simple and say UVA wins a third time. Loyola beat Denver three times in 2012 en route to the NC. It’s possible but not easy.
Can the brothers figure out the giants? Can Fake contain Shellenberger? How about face-offs, where UVA has the edge, and goaltending, where ND has the AA and UVA has an underclassman who appears to have emerged from a slight midseason malaise?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Torn as to rooting interests: UVA has won twice in the last four years already, so good for someone else to win, but . . . Notre Dame has two Yalies (Fake and Tevlin) on the roster and has never won, but their fan base has been insufferable since 2022 selection Sunday and the particular flavor of grievance-infused gloating will be hard to take.

In terms of predictions: I think there’s a reason UVA has beaten Notre Dame without too much difficulty twice this year — they just match up better. I don’t think Notre Dame has a solution for Petey LaSalla, and the UVA offense generates such extraordinarily good shot opportunities that even a fantastic goalie like Entenmann can’t stop most shots. However, Notre Dame is a great team and they’ve been rolling in the tournament, so, as befits a 2 vs. 3 matchup, I would not be surprised if the Irish win this third matchup.
Last edited by The Orfling on Mon May 22, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Hooters in a romp...
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

It really is such a tough matchup for ND. No other team can send out the personnel of kastner and saustad on the kav boys. The length is a nightmare for them. Give me Virginia by 2
coda

Post by coda »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:48 pm It really is such a tough matchup for ND. No other team can send out the personnel of kastner and saustad on the kav boys. The length is a nightmare for them. Give me Virginia by 2
This. ND needs to find ways for someone not named Kavanaugh to initiate offense and draw slides. To win they need a big game out of their Midfield. Hopkins held the ND offense in check pressing out on Pat Kavanaugh. The book is out on ND offense. It’s up to the ND coaches to write a new script.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gatsby wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:20 pm We gon talk about this game or not? I know Finster will. The Hopkins thread has already dissected their entire roster for next year.

Notre Dame is motivated by their snub. UVA has the recent history on its side. Entenmann is the top goalie. I think the NCAA was smart to make this game the headliner and not the opener. It's more interesting. The top two assisters are in this game. The brothers' backyard ball is harder when there are trees in the way.

Could be closer than regular season, but UVA should come out on top.

Watch Dickson explode again versus Entenmann.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Ignore. Mistaken post that I can't fix. Sorry.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:01 pm
Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:48 pm It really is such a tough matchup for ND. No other team can send out the personnel of kastner and saustad on the kav boys. The length is a nightmare for them. Give me Virginia by 2
This. ND needs to find ways for someone not named Kavanaugh to initiate offense and draw slides. To win they need a big game out of their Midfield. Hopkins held the ND offense in check pressing out on Pat Kavanaugh. The book is out on ND offense. It’s up to the ND coaches to write a new script.
More likely Dobson than Taylor if it happens
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Nd should lock on Shellenberger on the pt , make Lasalla make the diagonal to Dickson or shoot. Don’t give up that shot to Shellenberger. Entemann has better chance w the alternative.
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:33 pm
coda wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:01 pm
More likely Dobson than Taylor if it happens
Honestly, it seems unlikely. Dobson leads the middies with 10 assists. Only 3 players on the roster with double digit assists. Pat Kavanaugh has 50.. Chris Kananaugh has 15. The offense is just so reliant on PK. For reference UVA has 6 players in double digits.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

7mtoou.jpg
7mtoou.jpg (38.99 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
I'll be having nightmares about this man for the next 4 nights until I see him play in Philly...

Go Irish! Third Times the charm!
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

Tiffany is arguably the best coach in D1. He will run circles around Corrigan. Adjustments in 2nd half vs Georgetown were masterful. Can he do it vs Dano is the bigger question.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Gatsby wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:20 pm We gon talk about this game or not? I know Finster will. The Hopkins thread has already dissected their entire roster for next year.

LaSalla is the difference maker again. Hard to see ND getting enough possessions as this game screams Lasalla at 60+. As others have pointed out as well the ND offense has become way to much the Pat K show and then everyone else. That will work against most teams but not UVA. Taylor and his brother have to have big game to have any chance and Taylor hasn't looked the same coming off the latest ACL tear. There's also the Corrigan factor, if the games tight late ND will likely play tight based on its history.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:36 pm Notre Dame has two Yalies (Fake and Tevlin) on the roster and has never won, but their fan base has been insufferable since 2022 selection Sunday and the particular flavor of grievance-infused gloating will be hard to take.
This. Please make it stop (the fans and the ESPN broadcasts, particularly Carc). Go UVA.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:50 pm
The Orfling wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:36 pm Notre Dame has two Yalies (Fake and Tevlin) on the roster and has never won, but their fan base has been insufferable since 2022 selection Sunday and the particular flavor of grievance-infused gloating will be hard to take.
This. Please make it stop (the fans and the ESPN broadcasts, particularly Carc). Go UVA.
ND with their second straight National Title,

whether they win it or not.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:28 pm
Chousnake wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:50 pm
ND with their second straight National Title,

whether they win it or not.
:lol:
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Nunes played his best game weeks back @ home vs ND (70-%) . He was 48 % vs GT last week. I see him being in the 50’s.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

I know Tillman has complained about this in the past, is there any rhyme or reason as to who plays in the 2nd game, or is it dictated by ESPN?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:59 am I know Tillman has complained about this in the past, is there any rhyme or reason as to who plays in the 2nd game, or is it dictated by ESPN?
:D Tillman complaining...really?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”