Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 10stone5 »

courtdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:25 am
10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:48 pm They fixed it Doc,

they set two plays for Collison for the win, one was a solid feed to Melendez which the defenseman for OSU disrupted just enough,
the second was the howitzer which OSU's goalie had no chance.

Collison is going to be hard to ignore at 1st Team midfield All American if he keeps up with these end of game heroics.
Laughable post. He's not even in the vicinity close to 1st team AA midfielders throughout the country.
Why not ?
Hardly laughable.
Who's better - that is an actual midfielder and not a converted attackman.
The current projected top midfielders aren't exactly killing it this year.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:30 am

they set two plays for Collison for the win, one was a solid feed to Melendez which the defenseman for OSU disrupted just enough,

Collison is going to be hard to ignore at 1st Team midfield All American if he keeps up with these end of game heroics.
Laughable post. He's not even in the vicinity close to 1st team AA midfielders throughout the country.
Why not ?
Hardly laughable.
I dont think he is top 10 in pts among middies and doesnt have that all around middie game. 25 pts in 12 games with 2 GBs, 14 TOs, and 0 CT. Those stats are not exactly screaming true middie. He would probably be the 3rd choice among Army middies. That isnt mentioning guys like Knoblach, Mackesy, and Traynor. He is a really talented guy, I am thinking he is a season away from putting it all together.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:05 am

Why not ?
Hardly laughable.
I dont think he is top 10 in pts among middies and doesnt have that all around middie game. 25 pts in 12 games with 2 GBs, 14 TOs, and 0 CT. Those stats are not exactly screaming true middie. He would probably be the 3rd choice among Army middies. That isnt mentioning guys like Knoblach and Traynor. He is a really talented guy, I am thinking he is a season away from putting it all together.
Traynor plays attack. He has started there every game this year. Mackesy is also an attackman.

Collison is probably a 3rd team AA middie right now behind guys like Weishaar, Knobloch, Plunkett, Schutz, etc. I do think his clutch play (4 goals vs. Virginia, game winners vs. PSU and OSU) should count for something. Not many other middies are a top team's go-to option when the game is on the line — and even fewer of them can deliver in that situation.

The number of "all-around middies" is vanishingly thin. Among top teams it's basically just Jake Stevens, and his offensive numbers aren't better than Collison's. Jack Koras does some good stuff for Maryland, but not sure I'd put him in that category. There isn't anybody who's playing FO wings, defense, AND putting up high-end offensive numbers like Zach Currier, Ryan Conrad, and Joel Tinney used to.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:19 am

Why not ?
Hardly laughable.
I dont think he is top 10 in pts among middies and doesnt have that all around middie game. 25 pts in 12 games with 2 GBs, 14 TOs, and 0 CT. Those stats are not exactly screaming true middie. He would probably be the 3rd choice among Army middies. That isnt mentioning guys like Knoblach and Traynor. He is a really talented guy, I am thinking he is a season away from putting it all together.
Traynor plays attack. He has started there every game this year. Mackesy is also an attackman.

Collison is probably a 3rd team AA middie right now behind guys like Weishaar, Knobloch, Plunkett, Schutz, etc. I do think his clutch play (4 goals vs. Virginia, game winners vs. PSU and OSU) should count for something. Not many other middies are a top team's go-to option when the game is on the line — and even fewer of them can deliver in that situation.

The number of "all-around middies" is vanishingly thin. Among top teams it's basically just Jake Stevens, and his offensive numbers aren't better than Collison's. Jack Koras does some good stuff for Maryland, but not sure I'd put him in that category. There isn't anybody who's playing FO wings, defense, AND putting up high-end offensive numbers like Zach Currier, Ryan Conrad, and Joel Tinney used to.
this is very true. I wouldnt argue with 3rd team, I was thinking 1st team. I left out the lower tier guys like Weishaar and the Colgate kid that are havign excellent seasons. Honestly, that game winner was probably a "NOOOOOOO, YESSS!!!" moment for the Hop coaches. I was watching and thought bad take, Ohh damn that was a crazy good shot..
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

And Weisshaar isn't really "lower tier".

He's mid season 2nd team on ILs list.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:48 am And Weisshaar isn't really "lower tier".

Lower team meaning mid-majors.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:01 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:48 am And Weisshaar isn't really "lower tier".

They're not mid-major
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:06 pm
coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:01 pm

They're not mid-major
They are the literal definition of mid-major
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:05 am I dont think he is top 10 in pts among middies and doesnt have that all around middie game. 25 pts in 12 games with 2 GBs, 14 TOs, and 0 CT. Those stats are not exactly screaming true middie. He would probably be the 3rd choice among Army middies. That isnt mentioning guys like Knoblach, Mackesy, and Traynor. He is a really talented guy, I am thinking he is a season away from putting it all together.
The boys (C/C&Q) said yesterday Schutz is a shoo-in along with the Army middie for 1st team AA. Collison's stats are not far off from Schutz's - 29 points to 25. The only marked difference between the two is Schutz's shooting percentage - at over 40 maybe Lars might want him to shoot more. Knoblach better have 10 more goals than Collison having shot the ball over 100 times already - 40 more than Collison. 4 goals at Klockner and 2 OT winners are pretty notable on his CV.

My reaction to last nights affair:
- Some of you might want to record the game and watch the whole thing before posting - Chicken Little has nothing on you
- While he does always have the look of somebody who just ate bad Thai food - you have to give Myers alot of credit for re-inventing this team even with the sub 500 record - last year it was hard for better teams not to score on Ohio State (17 to UVA/16 to ND/16 to Cornell/17 to Denver/17 to Penn State/17 to Hopkins/19 to Michigan) - Not this year. 42 is as good as it gets and the shorts sticks held up well and while I am not going to ever use the stupid nickname - Fyock is likely going to be a problem the next 3 years - maybe even including this year's tournament.
- Ohio State is not a great match-up for Hopkins - their defense is very good - the goalie is "of size" and has quick hands - and while they don't have "a guy" they have alot of sizeable big guys at the mid-field that can cause problems for short sticks - I think Hopkins was slower to slide last night and it hurt for a little while - while he was off by one goal you can see Koesterer tell Milliman "Two (expletive that begins with F) goals in the second half
- Martin re-injured something near his hip on the first scrum - you can see him as the whistle is finally blown grab that area. While he is unbelievable in how he guts things out and still makes some plays - he was having trouble keeping up in the 4th. You could theoretically rest him until May 11 or 12th. Maryland will test him and test him if he's out there. He'll have 12 days of rest I guess from the Maryland game to the BIG Semi's if he goes.
- '06 your up and down lists get more ludicrous by the game - What in the world does this mean? "Ayers-One of the few things Hop and Maryland can agree on is a lot of things you can say at a bar but not here about this guy. If he coached at a Syracuse, Hopkins, North Carolina, Maryland that the wider lax world cares about his behavior would get a forum post." I assume you mean Myers? The A is no where near the M on the keyboard. Why is Myers a down for Hopkins? I didn't think Bauer had a number of great looks - looked like he was pretty well handled. Grimes did had a couple of nice looks - the save by Fyock was outstanding on Grimes' last shot.
- Jaronski got buzzed by Ohio State middies as much as Arteaga - Marcelo gave up one goal - with zero slide - shoot him I guess
- While I think sometimes the Hopkins LSM is tasked with supporting the middle too close in so that step downs are readily available on occasion - it happened to Carson Brown on Ohio State's 8th or 9 th goal - I am sure glad Deans was on the field in OT - he was everywhere.
- While I am meh on most announcers - one thing I kind of give Dixon a little bit of a pass on is he does get yo'yo'd both in terms of being play by play some games - color on others and asking someone to call a game in College Park on Saturday and then another on Sunday in Columbus with 4 different teams is not easy.

So the mega unknow for the BIG tournament is the outcome of Michigan Ohio State. It's in Columbus - but can Wietfeldt tip the scales - went 14 for 17 and 9-13 in the two games last year against Ohio State. At the same time hard to believe Michigan will come anywhere close to 19 or 14 goals like last year. We know what happens with the winner and the loser of the Greatest Rivalry - If we put Penn State in the winners column against Rutgers at home - then seeds 1/2/3 are decided:
1. Hopkins Maryland winner
2. Hopkins Maryland loser
3. Penn State
4. Ohio State Michigan winner
5. Rutgers (if Ohio State beats Michigan) Ohio State if Michigan beats Ohio State
6. Rutgers or Michigan

So unless Rutgers shocks the world the first round games are pretty clear - either Rutgers or Michigan is going to Panzer Stadium to play the Nittany Lions and Ohio State will face either Rutgers in Columbus or get a quick rematch with Michigan this time in Ann Arbor.
So interesting - the #1 seed could face the very real possibility of seeing Ohio State in Columbus with both #1 candidates having survived Ohio State by 1 goal and the #2 seed will likely see Fracyon and Malone et al - Lady or the Tiger? Maybe it's the Tiger or the Tiger.
coda

Post by coda »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:27 pm
coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:05 am I dont think he is top 10 in pts among middies and doesnt have that all around middie game. 25 pts in 12 games with 2 GBs, 14 TOs, and 0 CT. Those stats are not exactly screaming true middie. He would probably be the 3rd choice among Army middies. That isnt mentioning guys like Knoblach, Mackesy, and Traynor. He is a really talented guy, I am thinking he is a season away from putting it all together.
The boys (C/C&Q) said yesterday Schutz is a shoo-in along with the Army middie for 1st team AA. Collison's stats are not far off from Schutz's - 29 points to 25. The only marked difference between the two is Schutz's shooting percentage - at over 40 maybe Lars might want him to shoot more. Knoblach better have 10 more goals than Collison having shot the ball over 100 times already - 40 more than Collison. 4 goals at Klockner and 2 OT winners are pretty notable on his CV.

My reaction to last nights affair:
- Some of you might want to record the game and watch the whole thing before posting - Chicken Little has nothing on you
- While he does always have the look of somebody who just ate bad Thai food - you have to give Myers alot of credit for re-inventing this team even with the sub 500 record - last year it was hard for better teams not to score on Ohio State (17 to UVA/16 to ND/16 to Cornell/17 to Denver/17 to Penn State/17 to Hopkins/19 to Michigan) - Not this year. 42 is as good as it gets and the shorts sticks held up well and while I am not going to ever use the stupid nickname - Fyock is likely going to be a problem the next 3 years - maybe even including this year's tournament.
- Ohio State is not a great match-up for Hopkins - their defense is very good - the goalie is "of size" and has quick hands - and while they don't have "a guy" they have alot of sizeable big guys at the mid-field that can cause problems for short sticks - I think Hopkins was slower to slide last night and it hurt for a little while - while he was off by one goal you can see Koesterer tell Milliman "Two (expletive that begins with F) goals in the second half
- Martin re-injured something near his hip on the first scrum - you can see him as the whistle is finally blown grab that area. While he is unbelievable in how he guts things out and still makes some plays - he was having trouble keeping up in the 4th. You could theoretically rest him until May 11 or 12th. Maryland will test him and test him if he's out there. He'll have 12 days of rest I guess from the Maryland game to the BIG Semi's if he goes.
- '06 your up and down lists get more ludicrous by the game - What in the world does this mean? "Ayers-One of the few things Hop and Maryland can agree on is a lot of things you can say at a bar but not here about this guy. If he coached at a Syracuse, Hopkins, North Carolina, Maryland that the wider lax world cares about his behavior would get a forum post." I assume you mean Myers? The A is no where near the M on the keyboard. Why is Myers a down for Hopkins? I didn't think Bauer had a number of great looks - looked like he was pretty well handled. Grimes did had a couple of nice looks - the save by Fyock was outstanding on Grimes' last shot.
- Jaronski got buzzed by Ohio State middies as much as Arteaga - Marcelo gave up one goal - with zero slide - shoot him I guess
- While I think sometimes the Hopkins LSM is tasked with supporting the middle too close in so that step downs are readily available on occasion - it happened to Carson Brown on Ohio State's 8th or 9 th goal - I am sure glad Deans was on the field in OT - he was everywhere.
- While I am meh on most announcers - one thing I kind of give Dixon a little bit of a pass on is he does get yo'yo'd both in terms of being play by play some games - color on others and asking someone to call a game in College Park on Saturday and then another on Sunday in Columbus with 4 different teams is not easy.

So the mega unknow for the BIG tournament is the outcome of Michigan Ohio State. It's in Columbus - but can Wietfeldt tip the scales - went 14 for 17 and 9-13 in the two games last year against Ohio State. At the same time hard to believe Michigan will come anywhere close to 19 or 14 goals like last year. We know what happens with the winner and the loser of the Greatest Rivalry - If we put Penn State in the winners column against Rutgers at home - then seeds 1/2/3 are decided:
1. Hopkins Maryland winner
2. Hopkins Maryland loser
3. Penn State
4. Ohio State Michigan winner
5. Rutgers (if Ohio State beats Michigan) Ohio State if Michigan beats Ohio State
6. Rutgers or Michigan

So unless Rutgers shocks the world the first round games are pretty clear - either Rutgers or Michigan is going to Panzer Stadium to play the Nittany Lions and Ohio State will face either Rutgers in Columbus or get a quick rematch with Michigan this time in Ann Arbor.
So interesting - the #1 seed could face the very real possibility of seeing Ohio State in Columbus with both #1 candidates having survived Ohio State by 1 goal and the #2 seed will likely see Fracyon and Malone et al - Lady or the Tiger? Maybe it's the Tiger or the Tiger.
Big 10 tournament will be good. There isnt a team that cant make noise..
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:28 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:19 am

Why not ?
Hardly laughable.

this is very true. I wouldnt argue with 3rd team, I was thinking 1st team. I left out the lower tier guys like Weishaar and the Colgate kid that are havign excellent seasons. Honestly, that game winner was probably a "NOOOOOOO, YESSS!!!" moment for the Hop coaches. I was watching and thought bad take, Ohh damn that was a crazy good shot..
Third Team AA is probably appropriate for Collison right now.

If he starts playing with the aggressiveness we are seeing in the fourth quarter and OT in the three earlier quarters of the game, then there is no reason he cannot be a First Team AA someday.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Why not ?
Hardly laughable.
Could probably name 15-20 midfielders with more points having better seasons. Not taking away his 2 OT goals. Huge for the program getting wins but that doesn't translate to 1st team AA
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51 the difference between Hopkins and those other teams so far is that the rivals have some of the finest players in the country-Weistfelt, Malone, Fracyon et al Hopkins has quantity of average to above average quality.

Statistically not really what we're using to seeing from maryland. Faceoffs obviously a massive concern but they're not 1 in the conference in anything and are only top half in fo, shot percentage, scoring margin, and winning percentage. They're 5/6 in clearing/gbs/man down/man up/opp clearing percentage.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... mous/62967

I mocked hf16 when he got upset about this list but it's a joke degnon who is now 9th in the country in avg goals per game wasn't on it. Szuluk has probably earned hm aa at least in addition to what they have there for angelus, collison, smith and martin. Degnon, Angelus, Collison, Smith, and Martin should probably be first team all conference. Aviles, Deans, Szuluk second team.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:43 pm Could probably name 15-20 midfielders with more points having better seasons.
Please do. This should be good.

We all know raw point totals is the only thing that matters for AA consideration, which is why VMI's Luke Rusterucci is a first teamer.
Finster

Post by Finster »

courtdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:43 pm

Why not ?
Hardly laughable.
Could probably name 15-20 midfielders with more points having better seasons. Not taking away his 2 OT goals. Huge for the program getting wins but that doesn't translate to 1st team AA

I’d rank Collison with UVA’s Schutz. Similar styles. Not sure if that’s AA First team, but Collison is an absolute beast out there when needed. JHU should utilize him even more.

Also, since he’s only a sophomore, the sky is the limit on the kid.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:47 pm
courtdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:43 pm Could probably name 15-20 midfielders with more points having better seasons.
Please do. This should be good.

We all know raw point totals is the only thing that matters for AA consideration, which is why VMI's Luke Rusterucci is a first teamer.
Lacrosse Reference. Statistical Tewaaraton. Not even listed in the top 100 which factors in many other data sets than just points. When I get out of a work meeting, I'll name the 15 more deserving
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Griffin Schutz UVA - 29 pts
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Michael Leo Cuse - 29 pts
Finn Thomson Cuse - 29 pts
Andrew McAdorey Duke - 27 pts
Ben Johnnston Duke - 26 pts
Graham Bundy Gtown - 31 pts
Alex Vardaro Gtown- 31 pts
Aidan Carroll Gtown- 38 pts
Hugh Kelleher Cornell - 26 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts
Carson Kuhl Yale - 41 pts
Evan Plunkett Army - 37 pts
Jacob Morin Army - 28 pts
Bo Lockwood Michigan - 30 pts
Mikey Weisshair Towson - 47 pts
Shane Knobloch Rut - 38 pts

Collison is a fine player, he's having a good year. 25 points for a Mid is a good season. Just my point being, that list above explains how many more guys have more points than him. If he was a first team guy, he'd have more. But you are not taking Collison over Schutz, McAdorey, Bundy, Weisshair, Knobloch, Plunkett, and probably a couple others. I didn't even take a stab into the non top 25 teams. Not meant to discourage him as a player but first team AA is something that shouldn't be floated out there for anyone.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 pm Griffin Schutz UVA - 29 pts
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

Collison is a fine player, he's having a good year. 25 points for a Mid is a good season. Just my point being, that list above explains how many more guys have more points than him. If he was a first team guy, he'd have more. But you are not taking Collison over Schutz, McAdorey, Bundy, Weisshair, Knobloch, Plunkett, and probably a couple others. I didn't even take a stab into the non top 25 teams. Not meant to discourage him as a player but first team AA is something that shouldn't be floated out there for anyone.
First of all, some of these players are playing attack this year. Carroll and Bundy for Georgetown both start on attack, for instance. Kuhl plays attack for Yale. He's been there all year. You can't just go by how they are listed on rosters. That's often old information. Watch the games and look at the box scores.

Second, Duke has played two more games than Hopkins. So there goes McAdorey and Johnston. Also, Johnston has 23 pts, not 26, so he has fewer points in more games than Collison. Cuse has played two more games as well. There goes Leo and Thompson. Already your list has been cut in half.

Third, this is all pretty rudimentary. Yes, technically Bo Lockwood has more points than Matt Collison. He has 30 (2.5 per game) while Collison has 25 (2.1) per game. So less than half a point more per game. Michigan also barely ever runs their second midfield line. So Lockwood is on the field more often. On a "time on the field" basis I think it's probably fair to say Collison is more productive, given Hopkins plays their second line a lot more. And then you look at the splits — Lockwood only has 7 goals. Collison has more than double that. Is a player with 7 goals and 23 assists on a borderline top 20 team who gets to play Canisius better than a player with 18 goals and 7 assists on the #3 team with the #3 SOS? Maybe, but I don't think so.

All of this is to say...I agree, Collison isn't a First Teamer (right now). But I think you're seriously overestimating the number of midfielders who are truly better than him. Weishaar, Plunkett, Knobloch I will give you. But I absolutely think he's in the conversation with Schutz, McAdorey, Kelleher, Morin, etc. for 2nd/3rd team consideration.
Finster

Post by Finster »

courtdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 pm Griffin Schutz UVA - 29 pts
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

My $0.02: I’m DEFINITELY taking Collison over McAdorey.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

courtdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:14 pm I'll name the 15 more deserving
No you named 17 people with more points - that does NOT translate into more deserving - though like '16 I probably wouldn't say he's 1st team. But if you went by points alone then Quint and Carc's shoo-in of Schutz doesn't come close either. Plus as '16 points out but should be hammered home - there's the not so small issue of opportunity. Weissharr and Knoblach are very good players - both have taken at least 40 more shots than Collison. Going by Collison's shot percentage - 100 shots would translate into roughly an additional 10-11 goals and increased time on the field would probably get a couple of assists as well so he would be at or near 40 points and the top of your list. The thing that really stands out about Schutz is his 19 goals are on 49 shots - from where he shoots from - not bad.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”