Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by primitiveskills »

StephenBaldwin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:40 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:38 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:33 pm The Baldwin Brothers/ Doc love-fest is exactly what this thread needed.
I think Alec was reckless, but he should not have been criminally charged.

DocBarrister
If you think he was reckless there, you shouldve seen him on the ride for the Massapequa Mud Dogs.
Chef’s kiss
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:30 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:23 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:29 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:20 pm Just way too many turnovers, mistakes, failed clears, bad decisions in 2Q and they never got any momentum back. Denver and Navy games all over again.

Offense really struggles in settled sixes. The motion offense is effective in generating "mismatches", but its only a mismatch if you have guys that can win the dodge and draw a slide. We don't have many of those guys. Losing English really hurt in that regard. If defenses don't ballwatch and lose track of Degnon, we have trouble. Not sure there's a magic solution at this point in the year.

We've been able to compensate by being close to perfect on clears and very hard to score on in sixes. Both of those fell apart for some reason today, especially in the second and third quarters.

Oh, well. On to the tournament. Seeding less critical this year vs most. Just need to avoid ND as long as possible.
The Michigan D VOLUNTARILY GAVE THE HOPKINS OFFENSE MISMATCHES. Peshko, Grimes, and Collison had SSDMs on them the entire game. Didn’t even have to “generate” those mismatches. They were handed to Hopkins on a platter.

Petro and Benson would have sold their souls to get matchups like that.

And what does Crawley and PM do with those mismatches? Pass the ball for little guys to dodge against longsticks or use the Big Guys to set picks.

DocBarrister
Again, unless those guys can beat the shortie and draw a slide, they are not mismatches. Tonight, they weren't mismatches. Peshko and Grimes dodged a bunch and never drew a slide. Collison beat his SSDM on the first possession of the game, got to the middle, and missed the shot. After that, Michigan completely took away the sweep and never slid off of Degnon, which really threw a wrench in the works. Maybe they could have gotten him some dodges from X, where he can be effective, but its not like there'sa lot of levers to pull.

Hopkins is not alone in having a shortage of guys who can make a defense move. Your friends in College Park, for instance, can commiserate. It's the reason that an "all-star" team like Duke can be held to 4 goals against a pedestrian Syracuse defense. Having multiple guys like that is what separates offenses like UVa, ND, and Cornell from the pack (a pack that unfortunately includes us).
Power dodges don’t require you beating the SSDM. In fact, Collison’s highlight reel dodges are those where the SSDM is draped all over him, a second (or even third) defender slides to him, and he still gets off his shot.

Collison is not Rabil or Harrison. He doesn’t have to blow by his defender to draw a slide. In fact, one shouldn’t expect him to. It’s high risk/high reward.

But he didn’t even really try tonight … and I am fairly certain that is a coaching choice.

Crawley and PM need to ramp up the aggression on O in a major way. That’s not going to happen with Angelus, Bauer, or Ayers leading the charge.

DocBarrister
Not saying you are wrong, but Pederson is about as a bad of a SSDM match- up for Collison. Pederson is the better athlete. He is also one of the strongest SSDM in the country.

Much better to attack Michigan with the 2 man game, especially from down low. Picks have been an issue all year for the Michigan defense. Michigan is big and athletic on defense. They have not been smart or disciplined
That may be true … but either the coaches have faith in Collison or they do not.

Attack the opposing D’s strongest link, and break it … and the rest of the chain falls apart.

Crawley and PM obviously don’t have faith in Collison. THAT is a problem … and I’m not blaming the sophomore.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:43 pm
StephenBaldwin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:40 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:33 pm The Baldwin Brothers/ Doc love-fest is exactly what this thread needed.

DocBarrister
If you think he was reckless there, you shouldve seen him on the ride for the Massapequa Mud Dogs.
Chef’s kiss
+100 for the narrator.
alecbaldwin

Post by alecbaldwin »

DocBarrister
Thank you Doc.
HopDonk

Post by HopDonk »

Been biting my tongue for about 5 weeks. Finally making an account to say… fire Crawley for the love of god.

Week after week he gives another example of why he needs to be replaced. We are not struggling for sharp shooters or dodgers on offense, we are desperately struggling on coordination and execution on offense. OC needs to go.

Forget the 10 goals allowed. It is the 1 goal in 3 quarters that lost us that game. Crawley does not have it and needs to be replaced.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

alecbaldwin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:00 pm

DocBarrister
Thank you Doc.
You’re welcome. Good luck at the trial.

DocBarrister

P.S. No offense, but Kim deserved better. I think you know that.
@DocBarrister
StephenBaldwin

Post by StephenBaldwin »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:20 pm

DocBarrister
Thank you Doc.

DocBarrister

Careful Doc, you’re spot on with your analysis of Hopkins lax, but you won’t like Alec if he’s angry.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

StephenBaldwin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:22 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:20 pm

DocBarrister
Thank you Doc.

DocBarrister

Careful Doc, you’re spot on with your analysis of Hopkins lax, but you won’t like Alec if he’s angry.
What is he going to do, shoot me?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopDonk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:12 pm Been biting my tongue for about 5 weeks. Finally making an account to say… fire Crawley for the love of god.

Week after week he gives another example of why he needs to be replaced. We are not struggling for sharp shooters or dodgers on offense, we are desperately struggling on coordination and execution on offense. OC needs to go.

Forget the 10 goals allowed. It is the 1 goal in 3 quarters that lost us that game. Crawley does not have it and needs to be replaced.
The big question is it is basically the same guys outside of English and Kramf and the team is averaging at least 1.5 goals less a game. QuestIons that Crawley and Millman need to ponder.

The other issue is this team has very little killer instinct. It doesn't want to destroy teams. If ND was up 6-1 on Michigan that game is over. Hopkins has now lost 2 games this season up 6-1 in the 2nd quarter.

The team certainly doesn't know how to play when it is the big favorite and teams are gunning for them. That is a coaching and lockerroom ssue.
Lacrossefan25

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

Funny how we have the coach of the year in the big ten and he can’t win the big game. Man I miss petro
StephenBaldwin

Post by StephenBaldwin »

steel_hop wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 pm
HopDonk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:12 pm Been biting my tongue for about 5 weeks. Finally making an account to say… fire Crawley for the love of god.

The big question is it is basically the same guys outside of English and Kramf and the team is averaging at least 1.5 goals less a game. QuestIons that Crawley and Millman need to ponder.

The other issue is this team has very little killer instinct. It doesn't want to destroy teams. If ND was up 6-1 on Michigan that game is over. Hopkins has now lost 2 games this season up 6-1 in the 2nd quarter.

The team certainly doesn't know how to play when it is the big favorite and teams are gunning for them. That is a coaching and lockerroom ssue.
Hopkins does not have a Pat or Chris Kavanagh. They do not have an Eric Dobson or Jordan Faison. You can’t put teams away when you can’t consistently beat a man and draw a slide. Michigan dominated 1 on 1 matchups all over the field tonight.
HopDonk

Post by HopDonk »

StephenBaldwin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:33 pm
steel_hop wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 pm

Hopkins does not have a Pat or Chris Kavanagh. They do not have an Eric Dobson or Jordan Faison. You can’t put teams away when you can’t consistently beat a man and draw a slide. Michigan dominated 1 on 1 matchups all over the field tonight.
Exactly my point. Watching film on Hopkins offense has to be the easiest thing in the world and a cakewalk for opposing DC’s. Crapley’s entire offensive scheme is the same thing week after week. It’s not about the 1v1 it’s about the predictability of this offense this late in the season. Either an x dodge or a wing dodge into topside and hope the pick comes.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:30 pm Funny how we have the coach of the year in the big ten and he can’t win the big game. Man I miss petro
LOL! Petro was too clueless to know what his current team needed to do to make the ACC tourney.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:16 pm
Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:30 pm Funny how we have the coach of the year in the big ten and he can’t win the big game. Man I miss petro
LOL! Petro was too clueless to know what his current team needed to do to make the ACC tourney.
Well, truth be told, Petro’s North Carolina defense averaged 8.57 caused turnovers per game this season. I believe that is more than any of his Hopkins defenses.

Petro can adapt.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:05 am Well, truth be told, Petro’s North Carolina defense averaged 8.57 caused turnovers per game this season. I believe that is more than any of his Hopkins defenses.
I was referring to the entire UNC staff apparently not knowing that beating Duke by 5 would get them into the ACC tourney :roll:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:51 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:05 am Well, truth be told, Petro’s North Carolina defense averaged 8.57 caused turnovers per game this season. I believe that is more than any of his Hopkins defenses.
I was referring to the entire UNC staff apparently not knowing that beating Duke by 5 would get them into the ACC tourney :roll:
Are you really going to hold such minor details against the UNC coaching staff?!? I mean, what is “5”?!? It’s just a number.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Michigan rejoicing in their win over Hopkins.

https://twitter.com/ncaalax/status/1786 ... 63300?s=12

Hope the Blue Jays and the coaches watch this with all their free time this weekend.

This Hopkins team has enough talent to win a national championship. We haven’t been able to say that for nearly a decade.

As things stand, with their offense having some serious problems, the Blue Jays are more likely just one game away from the end of their season.

There are no more second chances moving forward. If they don’t fix the O, a promising season will turn to ash.

For the seniors, this is it. They have worked so hard and endured so many challenges to play in this tournament for one more shot at a national championship. How will they remember this season?

They can go out fighting … or they can play tulip ball and get blown off the field.

It’s not my legacy at stake … but what a waste if this team cannot play up to their potential.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Theme of last night was teams with their seasons on the line exceeding expectations against teams in a more comfortable position — Michigan obviously, but also Nova beating Denver and Providence taking Georgetown to overtime. UNC beating Duke last week fits the bill as well. Curious if that trend continues this weekend. Michigan and Princeton both have the chance to do exactly what they did last year, which would be very bad news for teams like Yale and Georgetown (if they don't win the Big East).

Doesn't excuse the Jays' total meltdown on offense from the 2nd quarter on. They have 9-10 days to right the ship on that side of the ball, and they'll have one last game at Homewood to do it. I would expect the seniors and grad students to play with the urgency that they lacked last night.

Most likely possible first-round opponents include: Towson/Delaware, Richmond/St. Joe's, Patriot League winner, Penn if they win the Ivy.

Regardless of what Doc thinks, the Jays are still in line for a top 4 seed. We picked up a top 5 win with UVA entering. Jays have basically the same resume as Duke, except they're one spot lower in the RPI but have one more quality win. Both have a "bad loss." Jays have the superior strength of schedule. If the season ended today I think we'd be the #3 seed behind ND and Syracuse and likely playing the CAA or A10 champ.
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:05 am
CU77 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:16 pm
Well, truth be told, Petro’s North Carolina defense averaged 8.57 caused turnovers per game this season. I believe that is more than any of his Hopkins defenses.

Petro can adapt.

DocBarrister
Odd. Cuse’s turn around may have as much to do with a new DC, than anything else.. For the record UNC had 9.42 CTs in 2023.
Last edited by coda on Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”