Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by flalax22 »

Here we go
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:03 pmHere we go
Final Four? National championship?

If you don’t dream it, you can’t live it.

Go Blue Jays!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Scott V Smith back,

he should be 1st team AA next year with all the 5th year graduates.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun May 21, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:32 pm Scott V Smith back,

he should be 1st team next year with all the 5th year graduates.
Brett Martin and most of the rest of the D should return. Blue Jays D should be among the best in 2024.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Before we turn the page to '24, got to take a second to thank Matt Narewski for his 5 years with the program. I think throwing around terms like "warrior" to describe a college athlete is a bit overblown but if anyone deserves the title it's him. The guy just never quit.

Alex Mazzone was fantastic all year and his GB ability will be missed. You can't replace that skill set with one guy.

I don't think Hawley will be back for a 6th year. Assuming that's the case, salute to that kid for accepting his role and owning it.

Degnon — back to back 40-goal scorer. PLL team should pick him up once he finishes his master's.

Angelus will be back. Any word on Szuluk and Jaronski?
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun May 21, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Visiting here from your Charles street neighbor 2 miles up north, but this was the most promising hopkins team that I’ve seen since the 2018 team with Shack, Joel and Fraser’s class.

And to be honest, I think hopkins will be even better next year. Let’s remember that this is year 1 of crawleys offense and I think with another year under everyone’s belt the offense will really shine with the guys they have coming back. Losing mazzone is big but hopkins will reload and organically reproduce his numbers.

That defense will be legit from the poles and the SSDMs. You’ll certainly be a tough out and I can’t wait for our two schools to play next year
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Are Angelus and Melendez back?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:23 pm Are Angelus and Melendez back?
Yes. Melendez is only a junior. Angelus is using his grad year
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:24 pm
Pencil them the Top 5 for the season then. The defense will be very good, and those two make the offense really hard to stop. It'd be great if another initiator emerged to take the focus off Angelus and Melendez. The only question will be in goal.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I'll put it here because page count is important to a lot of you.
Up
-Milliman, this was a lot further and a lot faster than people expected. He deserves a lot of credit and his transfers like mazzone and melendez really shined. Hard to put into words how far he's taken this program so fast.
-Narewski-what a warrior. Lot of brother and families in Hop lax history and he wrote another chapter today and made the program proud.
-Hawley-one of the toughest on/off field situations and really warred.
-Jameson another incredible job. 3 eras of Hopkins lacrosse-his playing days, his young assistant days and his d coordinator days look a lot worse and a lot different without him in it.
-Mazzone, an excellent season
Down
-It's long past time to move on from Grimes and Peshko. When Narewski was dealing early Peshko had his feet in the crease to kill one possession and was whacked from behind on another clear. Early in the 3rd grimes loafed it to a gb and it turned into an nd goal. They've been given every opportunity now through 2 coordinators and really done absolutely nothing and need to be part of a broader offensive personnel overhaul. They're not fast, they're not distributors, they can't beat their men, they're not athletic, and yeah once a game maybe they'll get a goal or every few games they'll get a couple, but that's not what you expect from guys who've started on and off for 3 years on a team trying to win championships. They're big, slow inconsistent, eat up a ton of playing time and haven't delivered. Next.

-Crawley. He might be a lacrosse wunderkind and yes he was new this year but 8 minutes or whatever it was without even a shot on offense despite that big an edge on faceoffs is on him. PM was quoted numerous times referring to the blue jay players "as PM's players because he gave them a uniform". That was unacceptable offensively today. Whatever Crawley was doing didn't work, his adjustments didn't change the game, and while "the depth" narrative is fun, the reality is if you want your second and third line midfielders on the field it means your first or seconds are worth taking off the field. PM clearly overestimated Crawleys ability either to coach these offensive players or the talent they had or both and they need to go hard at the portal or really have some deep confidence in whatever the younger players they have because that offense cost them a memorial day appearance today and it's been a familiar situation with many of those players through their careers. This is Johns Hopkins, not a Patriot league also ran, midmajor or whatever, and the bauer/mcdermott/grimes/peshko/chauvette group proved today it's time for an overhaul.

-The goalie situation. Yeah Notre Dame is good, but Michigan saved its season and changed the trajectory of its program by overhauling its goaltending. PM brought the amherst and st joes kids in as transfers and didn't have the faith in either one to save the season. Marcille needed to make more saves, again.

-The athletic department. You don't often see rival schools mentioned in the foreign press writeups of stars, but Homewood was because Brown played there in a 57 all star game and it speaks to the prominence of the program and Homewood in the game. Yet today once again we saw another field that made homewood look like a dump. A clean, crisp turf, with clear lines.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nfl/article/th ... -lacrosse/
-NCAA stats site. Good work on a 2002 level site. The season stats take a maze to get to and todays stats weren't as comprehensive as the team sites. Joke.

Whatever
-Quint, I guess the jj threads contract is up. Anish clearly had the better tailor today.
-Credit to navy. Excellent venue, crowd, and field. They do it well at sea and on land in this case.
-I'm not going to get upset about the late jaronski penalty, some of the martin turnovers. Defense warred and again the offense could not put away a team in the first.
-For a school with an elite music program you'd think the band would be bigger.
-The blue jerseys are my favorite. The blue color is what separates the program. Everyone else has white and black.
-PM did the hardest part-bringing the program back faster than expected but now comes the difficult challenge of growing from cute cinderella to old school alpha Johns Hopkins Memorial Day winner and that starts with the goaltending situation, bringing on f-you score down your throat offensive players and making hard decisions on parting ways with the last of petro era personnel he doesn't feel fit, particularly on offense who've shown they're not capable of getting the team to memorial day weekend. Foy in one of his pods this fall said PM told him this season he thought Hopkins could go 5-0 in the conference and that either speaks to his belief in the players he has, the coaching or both. But whatever it is, I'm sure he feels this was a winnable game today and unlike the last staff it really feels from all his comments like he feels all of his best Hopkins days are in front of him. Too many turnovers, too many offense lapses, too much inconsistency in goal, too much faith in certain players, next year the terps/cuse will be reloaded/michigan will have new confidence and we're not going to sneak up on anyone.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Too many things factually incorrect in the post above for me to do the usual sentence by sentence break down so I will spare everyone. 06 is off to a great start for '24. Some things never change. 06 — when are you going to put yourself on your "Down" list for all the inaccuracies?
Wheels wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:31 pm
Pencil them the Top 5 for the season then. The defense will be very good, and those two make the offense really hard to stop. It'd be great if another initiator emerged to take the focus off Angelus and Melendez. The only question will be in goal.
Marcille has another year but not sure if he's taking it. If he doesn't, think they may look to the portal. They'd only have two goalies on the roster — rising junior Webb who has no experience and incoming frosh Verdi. You'd think Chayse Ierlan would make some sense but he'll have options.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:42 pm Too many things factually incorrect in the post above for me to do the usual sentence by sentence break down so I will spare everyone. 06 is off to a great start for '24. Some things never change. 06 — when are you going to put yourself on your "Down" list for all the inaccuracies?
Marcille has another year but not sure if he's taking it. If he doesn't, think they may look to the portal. They'd only have two goalies on the roster — rising junior Webb who has no experience and incoming frosh Verdi. You'd think Chayse Ierlan would make some sense but he'll have options.
I’ve been told Marcille is 99% moving on.

I’ve also been told Ierlans current options being considered are Hop and Duke.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:42 pm Too many things factually incorrect in the post above for me to do the usual sentence by sentence break down so I will spare everyone. 06 is off to a great start for '24. Some things never change. 06 — when are you going to put yourself on your "Down" list for all the inaccuracies?
I said all year the team would go as far as the jr offensive players. Today Bauer/Grimes/Chauvette/Evans/Peshko/McDermott 11 shots 3 sog 3 turnovers 2 goals 1 assist 0 gbs. That's 2 starters, 4/6 back up midfielders, and 6/12 offensive players giving you basically nothing. Time to start over there. Zinn found greener pastures and so too will this group.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:52 pm

PM would have recruited Ierlan to Cornell, I assume. So that would seem very possible. I don't think we need much in terms of transfers - an SSDM would be nice though and maybe a stretch shooter to replace Degnon.

If he does move on, I'll miss Marcille. Very easy to root for. The joy and energy in his play, even when things weren't going great, made him a favorite. Thanks #10.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Y'all had a great year. Even as a Terp fan, good to have Hopkins back in the mix. With everyone but Degnon back on offense, and lot of core pieces back on defense even with the loss of Mazzone, I think you'll be in the Top 5 mix all year in '24 if FOs and Goalie play can be above average. Ierlan would be a massive pick-up. Will def be at Homewood for MD-Hop next year, think it could be the biggest game in the rivalry since the '15 F4 game.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:52 pm

Marcille had a good season and I’m glad his hard work and perseverance paid off.

Does Ierlan have two seasons of eligibility remaining? We steal Cornell’s coaches. Might as well steal their goalies.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:30 pm Marcille had a good season and I’m glad his hard work and perseverance paid off.

Does Ierlan have two seasons of eligibility remaining? We steal Cornell’s coaches. Might as well steal their goalies.

DocBarrister 8-)
No, just one
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Can we all agree Scott Smith is the best cover guy the Jays have had since Tucker Durkin?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:03 pm Can we all agree Scott Smith is the best cover guy the Jays have had since Tucker Durkin?
Got my vote.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:03 pm Can we all agree Scott Smith is the best cover guy the Jays have had since Tucker Durkin?
He's more athletic than Durkin, but less disciplined. If he can clean up some of the mental mistakes, his ceiling is the Schmeisser. Maybe holding a Tewaaraton candidate to a single assist in the quarterfinals will get people's attention.

If Szuluk returns they've got two rock solid defensemen to build around. Not sure what happened to Carson Brown in the last two games but he could slide into Mazzone's spot. That'd allow you to keep Deans and Kaufman at LSM. Incoming lefty freshman Kilrain from LVille might be another option. I'd like to see us grab an SSDM in the portal or at least develop another guy to use alongside the group we're bringing back. That said, really impressed with the development of Raposo from an o-mid to a d-mid this year. He doesn't get beat cleanly very often and he's electric in transition. Will be an important player next year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”