Hugh Kelleher Cornell - 26 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts
Carson Kuhl Yale - 41 pts
Evan Plunkett Army - 37 pts
Jacob Morin Army - 28 pts
Bo Lockwood Michigan - 30 pts
Mikey Weisshair Towson - 47 pts
Shane Knobloch Rut - 38 pts

Collison is a fine player, he's having a good year. 25 points for a Mid is a good season. Just my point being, that list above explains how many more guys have more points than him. If he was a first team guy, he'd have more. But you are not taking Collison over Schutz, McAdorey, Bundy, Weisshair, Knobloch, Plunkett, and probably a couple others. I didn't even take a stab into the non top 25 teams. Not meant to discourage him as a player but first team AA is something that shouldn't be floated out there for anyone.
My $0.02: I’m DEFINITELY taking Collison over McAdorey.
It’s not about the number of points, it’s about when the points are scored—and the level of competition. I’ll take Collison to take the last shot over anyone on this list.
coda

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:24 pm
courtdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 pm Griffin Schutz UVA - 29 pts
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Michael Leo Cuse - 29 pts
Finn Thomson Cuse - 29 pts
Andrew McAdorey Duke - 27 pts
Ben Johnnston Duke - 26 pts
Graham Bundy Gtown - 31 pts
Alex Vardaro Gtown- 31 pts
Aidan Carroll Gtown- 38 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

Collison is a fine player, he's having a good year. 25 points for a Mid is a good season. Just my point being, that list above explains how many more guys have more points than him. If he was a first team guy, he'd have more. But you are not taking Collison over Schutz, McAdorey, Bundy, Weisshair, Knobloch, Plunkett, and probably a couple others. I didn't even take a stab into the non top 25 teams. Not meant to discourage him as a player but first team AA is something that shouldn't be floated out there for anyone.
First of all, some of these players are playing attack this year. Carroll and Bundy for Georgetown both start on attack, for instance. Kuhl plays attack for Yale. He's been there all year. You can't just go by how they are listed on rosters. That's often old information. Watch the games and look at the box scores.

Second, Duke has played two more games than Hopkins. So there goes McAdorey and Johnston. Also, Johnston has 23 pts, not 26, so he has fewer points in more games than Collison. Cuse has played two more games as well. There goes Leo and Thompson. Already your list has been cut in half.

Third, this is all pretty rudimentary. Yes, technically Bo Lockwood has more points than Matt Collison. He has 30 (2.5 per game) while Collison has 25 (2.1) per game. So less than half a point more per game. Michigan also barely ever runs their second midfield line. So Lockwood is on the field more often. On a "time on the field" basis I think it's probably fair to say Collison is more productive, given Hopkins plays their second line a lot more. And then you look at the splits — Lockwood only has 7 goals. Collison has more than double that. Is a player with 7 goals and 23 assists on a borderline top 20 team who gets to play Canisius better than a player with 18 goals and 7 assists on the #3 team with the #3 SOS? Maybe, but I don't think so.

All of this is to say...I agree, Collison isn't a First Teamer (right now). But I think you're seriously overestimating the number of midfielders who are truly better than him. Weishaar, Plunkett, Knobloch I will give you. But I absolutely think he's in the conversation with Schutz, McAdorey, Kelleher, Morin, etc. for 2nd/3rd team consideration.
to be fair, this is very rudimentary. This simply about points. If we call Lockwood a Middie. He is runs both attack and midfield. He is the pseudo- QB for Michigan. That is real value beyond simple points.. So you can make the argument.
Things we are not talking about is possessions. Things like turnovers, GBs, and CTs should also be considered. Finn Thompson has less pts, but he also has 22 GBs, 6 TOs (less), and 2 CT. Jakes Stevens has 24 pts, 33 GBs, 13 TOs (less), and 3 CTs.. He also plays some defense and wing on faceoffs, I believe. Those ground balls are possessions. Collison has 2 Gbs and 14 TOs, 0 CTs.. Call that a net of -12 possessions.
Compare that to Thompson and his 22 GBs, 6 TOs, and 2 CT. That is +18 possessions. Stevens is at +23.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:15 pm
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

First of all, some of these players are playing attack this year. Carroll and Bundy for Georgetown both start on attack, for instance. Kuhl plays attack for Yale. He's been there all year. You can't just go by how they are listed on rosters. That's often old information. Watch the games and look at the box scores.

Second, Duke has played two more games than Hopkins. So there goes McAdorey and Johnston. Also, Johnston has 23 pts, not 26, so he has fewer points in more games than Collison. Cuse has played two more games as well. There goes Leo and Thompson. Already your list has been cut in half.

Third, this is all pretty rudimentary. Yes, technically Bo Lockwood has more points than Matt Collison. He has 30 (2.5 per game) while Collison has 25 (2.1) per game. So less than half a point more per game. Michigan also barely ever runs their second midfield line. So Lockwood is on the field more often. On a "time on the field" basis I think it's probably fair to say Collison is more productive, given Hopkins plays their second line a lot more. And then you look at the splits — Lockwood only has 7 goals. Collison has more than double that. Is a player with 7 goals and 23 assists on a borderline top 20 team who gets to play Canisius better than a player with 18 goals and 7 assists on the #3 team with the #3 SOS? Maybe, but I don't think so.

All of this is to say...I agree, Collison isn't a First Teamer (right now). But I think you're seriously overestimating the number of midfielders who are truly better than him. Weishaar, Plunkett, Knobloch I will give you. But I absolutely think he's in the conversation with Schutz, McAdorey, Kelleher, Morin, etc. for 2nd/3rd team consideration.
to be fair, this is very rudimentary. This simply about points. If we call Lockwood a Middie. He is runs both attack and midfield. He is the pseudo- QB for Michigan. That is real value beyond simple points.. So you can make the argument.
Things we are not talking about is possessions. Things like turnovers, GBs, and CTs should also be considered. Finn Thompson has less pts, but he also has 22 GBs, 6 TOs (less), and 2 CT. Jakes Stevens has 24 pts, 33 GBs, 13 TOs (less), and 3 CTs.. He also plays some defense and wing on faceoffs, I believe. Those ground balls are possessions. Collison has 2 Gbs and 14 TOs, 0 CTs.. Call that a net of -12 possessions.
Compare that to Thompson and his 22 GBs, 6 TOs, and 2 CT. That is +18 possessions. Stevens is at +23.
Stevens, sure. He does a lot for them. He's the closest thing there is to a Currier, though not at that elite level. Thompson...I dunno. He's had some rough stretches this year. He and Collison average about the same number of points per game, but Collison shoots it better and has a higher degree of difficult on his shots. Thompson was really struggling with his accuracy earlier this season, though he's turned it around as of late. They are pretty close but I think Collison's skill set is more valuable and if you gave OCs their pick of players I have a hunch as who most would select. There is no way Thompson is getting the ball at the end of games and asked to make a play. Collison has more TOs because he's a ball carrier. Thompson doesn't do that. And then, yes, SOS should factor in at some point. Cuse has played Vermont, Manhattan, Hobart, and others. All of those teams would be by far the worst on Hopkins' schedule. Coincidentally, these two were high school teammates. Couldn't be more different stylistically though.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Hoponboard wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:41 pm
Finster wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:32 pm
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

My $0.02: I’m DEFINITELY taking Collison over McAdorey.
It’s not about the number of points, it’s about when the points are scored—and the level of competition. I’ll take Collison to take the last shot over anyone on this list.
This. The AA talk is nice, but whatever. Collison’s strength and quick overhand release allows him to consistently get off a quality shot even if he is being defended “perfectly”. It’s a pretty rare commodity and that gives JHU a late-game/ last possession option that few other teams have.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:33 pm
coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:15 pm
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

Stevens, sure. He does a lot for them. He's the closest thing there is to a Currier, though not at that elite level. Thompson...I dunno. He's had some rough stretches this year. He and Collison average about the same number of points per game, but Collison shoots it better and has a higher degree of difficult on his shots. Thompson was really struggling with his accuracy earlier this season, though he's turned it around as of late. They are pretty close but I think Collison's skill set is more valuable and if you gave OCs their pick of players I have a hunch as who most would select. There is no way Thompson is getting the ball at the end of games and asked to make a play. Collison has more TOs because he's a ball carrier. Thompson doesn't do that. And then, yes, SOS should factor in at some point. Cuse has played Vermont, Manhattan, Hobart, and others. All of those teams would be by far the worst on Hopkins' schedule. Coincidentally, these two were high school teammates. Couldn't be more different stylistically though.
You are ignoring the possessions. So if we say a possession is worth .3 goals. I am sure Lacrosse Reference knows the average, but that should be close enough. Then you would take Collison's pts and subtract 4 goals. You would add 6 to Leo and 7 to Stevens. Collison plays more like an attackman. He only gives you offense. He doesnt get GBs, cause TOs, he isnt going to help on the ride. Personally, I take Stevens over Thompson and Collison. He can play offense, defense, and play wings on face-offs. That is huge value to a team over the course of a season. OC may not place huge value on that, but the HC would. Cuse adding Stevens and English is a big part of their success this year. That versatility (English is a great party starter also) has huge value. Just my personal opinion, but I think we will start to see the return of the 2-way middie as kids grow up int eh shot clock era. Their value is highlighted the quicker the game is played.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:54 pm You are ignoring the possessions. So if we say a possession is worth .3 goals. I am sure Lacrosse Reference knows the average, but that should be close enough. Then you would take Collison's pts and subtract 4 goals. You would add 6 to Leo and 7 to Stevens. Collison plays more like an attackman. He only gives you offense. He doesnt get GBs, cause TOs, he isnt going to help on the ride. Personally, I take Stevens over Thompson and Collison. He can play offense, defense, and play wings on face-offs. That is huge value to a team over the course of a season. OC may not place huge value on that, but the HC would. Cuse adding Stevens and English is a big part of their success this year. That versatility (English is a great party starter also) has huge value
I'm with you on Stevens. He's a great player. He's basically the reason why Cuse beat Hopkins by 1 earlier this year thanks to his 3 goals and 3 GBs on the wing, a couple of which were huge for them. Very good on the wing, plays man-up, can dodge to score. But re: Thompson, I just think his skill set is replaceable (in field — he's a God in box). And he's not exactly a CT or riding machine either. He's not some do-it-all middie. In fact he really is an attackman miscast as a midfielder in that offense because there's nowhere else to put him. Probably sees a lot fewer poles than Collison, whose dodging ability/being a party starter is more valuable (and uncommon) in ways that do not show up in a box score but are felt dramatically in the offense and its ability to function.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:09 pm
coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:54 pm You are ignoring the possessions. So if we say a possession is worth .3 goals. I am sure Lacrosse Reference knows the average, but that should be close enough. Then you would take Collison's pts and subtract 4 goals. You would add 6 to Leo and 7 to Stevens. Collison plays more like an attackman. He only gives you offense. He doesnt get GBs, cause TOs, he isnt going to help on the ride. Personally, I take Stevens over Thompson and Collison. He can play offense, defense, and play wings on face-offs. That is huge value to a team over the course of a season. OC may not place huge value on that, but the HC would. Cuse adding Stevens and English is a big part of their success this year. That versatility (English is a great party starter also) has huge value
I'm with you on Stevens. He's a great player. He's basically the reason why Cuse beat Hopkins by 1 earlier this year thanks to his 3 goals and 3 GBs on the wing, a couple of which were huge for them. Very good on the wing, plays man-up, can dodge to score. But re: Thompson, I just think his skill set is replaceable (in field — he's a God in box). And he's not exactly a CT or riding machine either. He's not some do-it-all middie. In fact he really is an attackman miscast as a midfielder in that offense because there's nowhere else to put him. Probably sees a lot fewer poles than Collison, whose dodging ability/being a party starter is more valuable (and uncommon) in ways that do not show up in a box score but are felt dramatically in the offense and its ability to function.
He is not Stevens, but he does well on the carpet. Say what you want, but his 22 Gbs are legit (kind of surprised by that number). I have watched a lot of Hop games, I dont quite see him as a party starter. In general, I see that as the guys that dodge from up-top, create separation, and get the defense moving. I think Collison is more of that big Canadian attackman, more suited to be that 5-10 yard dodger and finisher. Though he adds with the range on his shot. He is more of size mismatch, than a guy that gets things really going. I think in a more traditional offense, he is better suited at attack. He generally doesnt get separation, but with his ability to use his body and box skills, he does not really need it. I might be splitting hairs there.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

This isn't how All America works. It's not who is X top in points, but the most points amongst the hardest schedule along with timing (aka importance of goals). It's why the tewaaraton winner isn't always the highest point achiever. I would take Collison over every single name on that list because he has proven to be clutch albeit inconsistent. And like others said, he's not a first team All America for now. Mikey Weisshair got absolutely erased by Hopkins once they assigned a long pole to him during the game yet has the most points on there.
coda

Post by coda »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:25 pm
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

This isn't how All America works. It's not who is X top in points, but the most points amongst the hardest schedule along with timing (aka importance of goals). It's why the tewaaraton winner isn't always the highest point achiever. I would take Collison over every single name on that list.
I think it is far less scientific than that. It is more who is a known name and gets media attention. At this point of the season, you could say Entenmann and his 51% save percentage is not All-American worthy (ranked 37th in the nation). 48th in saves per game. There is no way in hell people looking at what is his worse statistical season, since his freshman year and say he does not belong on the AA list
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 pm
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

This isn't how All America works. It's not who is X top in points, but the most points amongst the hardest schedule along with timing (aka importance of goals). It's why the tewaaraton winner isn't always the highest point achiever. I would take Collison over every single name on that list.
I think it is far less scientific than that. It is more who is known name and gets media attention. At this point of the season, you could say Entenmann and his 51% save percentage is not All-American worthy (ranked 37th in the nation). 48th in saves per game. There is no way in hell people looking at what is his worse statistical season, since his freshman year and say he does not belong on the AA list
This as well. O'neill has looked far from the best player on the field at times, yet is considered a top 2 lock for the Tewaaraton.
coda

Post by coda »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:35 pm
coda wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 pm
Jack Boyden UVA - 29 pts
Mac Costin PSU - 26 pts

I think it is far less scientific than that. It is more who is known name and gets media attention. At this point of the season, you could say Entenmann and his 51% save percentage is not All-American worthy (ranked 37th in the nation). 48th in saves per game. There is no way in hell people looking at what is his worse statistical season, since his freshman year and say he does not belong on the AA list
This as well. O'neill has looked far from the best player on the field at times, yet is considered a top 2 lock for the Tewaaraton.
People talk about who the best freshmen. It is going to an attackman. People wont consider the goalie leading the ACC in save percentage (Jamieson). I doubt it goes to the Freshman that is leading the ACC in face-off percentage (Wambach, cutting the list to 80 faceoffs)..
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It's Maryland week - much more important than post season awards. Hopkins is glad to have Collison around - especially the last two weeks.

The specialty personnel will of course play a big role - Hopkins did not get great goaltending in the two Maryland games last year - overall 39% - in the reguilar season game 35%. Ruppel was below 50% in the regular season game as well - slightly better than 50% in the BIG semi.
Hopkins was competent against Weirman in both games - for Hopkins at least - but Callahan did not take a single attempt. Dunn went 14 for 23 in the regular season and Narewski went 12 for 25 in the semi. I think Hopkins would sign up for those numbers right now.

Chayse's worst save percentage so far was last night at 44% and he only faced 18 SOGs. If he can hot his season average - it would help ALOT.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdK6nGqpyl4

PM's post game comments-Degnon caught on defense 5 times according to him.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:13 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdK6nGqpyl4

Degnon did have that key takeaway in the end
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:48 pm It's Maryland week - much more important than post season awards. Hopkins is glad to have Collison around - especially the last two weeks.

The specialty personnel will of course play a big role - Hopkins did not get great goaltending in the two Maryland games last year - overall 39% - in the reguilar season game 35%. Ruppel was below 50% in the regular season game as well - slightly better than 50% in the BIG semi.
Hopkins was competent against Weirman in both games - for Hopkins at least - but Callahan did not take a single attempt. Dunn went 14 for 23 in the regular season and Narewski went 12 for 25 in the semi. I think Hopkins would sign up for those numbers right now.

Chayse's worst save percentage so far was last night at 44% and he only faced 18 SOGs. If he can hot his season average - it would help ALOT.
You should see Marcille's save percentages against Maryland. Makes Ierlan's 44% look amazing.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:14 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:13 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdK6nGqpyl4

Degnon did have that key takeaway in the end
Not to mention, better to hustle back than to say "not my job".
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Degnon doesn't get "caught on defense." If he's back there it's because he wants to be. He's hunting.

37 goals (3.1 per game, 8th in the country) on 37% shooting, 29 GBs, 7 CTs, only 4 turnovers. What a season he's having.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

On Collison, I'll just use this discussion as an excuse the lament the death of the old-school middie. They just don't really exist anymore - there are no Rabils, Harrisons, Curriers (thumb on the ball at the dot notwithstanding), Tinneys, Schriebers, Conrads, let alone Dressels. The game has changed. As to Collison specifically, he's definitely an AA of some stripe. That said, I do feel somewhat underwhelmed by his season (despite the end of game heroics). I think he should be taking over games in the first half when the team is struggling (OSU, PSU), but he doesn't. Maybe that's unfair. No idea whether that's on him or the staff. I think he has all the talent in the world and that we don't see it enough.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I'm a wahoo but both my parents are hop alums.

I just wanted to come and say how likeable hop is with milliman at the helm. Exceeded expectations last year, beat my hoos fair and square this year.

Not gonna go as far as to say I'm rooting for ya but would definitely welcome a rematch, hopefully on mem day. Best of luck down the home stretch
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

nyjay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:24 pm On Collison, I'll just use this discussion as an excuse the lament the death of the old-school middie. They just don't really exist anymore - there are no Rabils, Harrisons, Curriers (thumb on the ball at the dot notwithstanding), Tinneys, Schriebers, Conrads, let alone Dressels. The game has changed. As to Collison specifically, he's definitely an AA of some stripe. That said, I do feel somewhat underwhelmed by his season (despite the end of game heroics). I think he should be taking over games in the first half when the team is struggling (OSU, PSU), but he doesn't. Maybe that's unfair. No idea whether that's on him or the staff. I think he has all the talent in the world and that we don't see it enough.
Maybe this year, but Tevlin was a complete swiss Army knife just last season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”