Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:49 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:48 pm No Towson (which is fine with me). Maybe Lehigh?
Lehigh it is.

Good team, but the Jays need to make a statement.

Interesting narrative with Crawley coaching against his old guys.

Jays play Sunday at noon, winner gets UVA/St. Joes — that team will have an extra day of rest as they play Saturday. Kind of weird to reward the lower seed with more rest but whatever
The Jays should they make the final four will be battle tested. Lehigh is a tough scrappy team. They won’t roll over at the first sight of the NAG and the potential 1/4 final rematch with the Hoos will be a tough one.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Hopkins got extremely lucky drawing lehigh and not towson. Still won't be an easy game.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:00 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:49 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:48 pm No Towson (which is fine with me). Maybe Lehigh?
Lehigh it is.

Good team, but the Jays need to make a statement.

Interesting narrative with Crawley coaching against his old guys.

Jays play Sunday at noon, winner gets UVA/St. Joes — that team will have an extra day of rest as they play Saturday. Kind of weird to reward the lower seed with more rest but whatever
Lehigh is a good team, but I prefer Lehigh to Towson or St. Joe’s.

I’m hoping St. Joe’s can take out Virginia. Either team would be a tough out, but it’s always challenging to beat an excellent team twice.

Lehigh is probably the best matchup Hopkins could have hoped for. Blue Jays need to ramp up their offense. Most of the teams in the tournament can really light things up.

DocBarrister
Agree. Towson has Weishaar, who is one of the best players in D1, and they seem to have figured it out since they played us. St Joe's/ UVa will be interesting; I think St. Joe's is one of the few teams in the country that can win a scoring competition with UVa (and Verch is a really disruptive guy in the middle of the field). As for Lehigh, they will slow it way down as they don't have a ton of weapoins on offense. Checo is a phenomenal LSM, but if we can limit his impact on the game I like our chances.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Big big credit to the program and those of you who support it relentlessly here and on/off the field. 2 straight years of ncaa tournament home games for the first time in 6 years and highest seed in 12 years is a big deal and tremendous progress. The last 16 months have been extraordinary and aside from May 2005 maybe some of the most important for the program the last 30 years.

I don't know much about lehigh. Stevens thinks Smith/Szuluk are the names to know for this team this postseason. I think this is all about Crawley and Angelus after the last 2 weeks.

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... o-puzzling
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Those are two major goals met, 06.

Add in a 1st round win, that'll be another big goal - Lehigh won't be easy,
win by one goal, win ugly, who cares ?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:13 pm Those are two major goals met, 06.

Obviously the goal is to beat Lehigh coming out with as good of healthy as possible, but an offense that's scored under 10 goals in 3/4 finding its way is important too.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:12 pm

Obviously the goal is to beat Lehigh coming out with as good of healthy as possible, but an offense that's scored under 10 goals in 3/4 finding its way is important too.
I won't read into a win against Lehigh (should it happen) one way or another. Offense needs to show up against top tier defenses when they can't beat their man one on one. I don't think I'll get signal into that from Lehigh.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:58 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:12 pm

I won't read into a win against Lehigh (should it happen) one way or another. Offense needs to show up against top tier defenses when they can't beat their man one on one. I don't think I'll get signal into that from Lehigh.
It's a team that earned their way into the tournament from a conference that went 1-1 against the blue jays this year. Question is do they switch up the attack and the midfield lines as a start of trying to generate more offense. This was not a one game struggle against a hot team. They've toyed with throwing melendez at the midfield and putting ayers on attack.

Maybe give Bauer Melendez spot on attack. But that has not been what they have done this year.

IL reported that the committee was comparing hopkins to duke not syracuse for seeding which was not what 99 percent of the bracketology after Hopkins lost to michigan thought.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ield/63316
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I am not sure I agree with your conclusion norcal... Lehigh wins with defense. I took a brief look at their statistics - opponents have only scored 174 goals over 16 games - pretty easy math. They have a face-off man with a mid-high 50's success rate - their goalie is at 51%. They average about 34 shots per game and it seems they turn the ball over more than their coach would like. I would recommend staying away from Checo - averaging about 4 gbs a game and 3 CTOs a game. So thoughts:
- Not going to be the most exciting game in terms of scoring and the Pep band won't need to practice the song when Hop scores 20.
- Shots/shots/shots/shots - low probability of beating any team taking 25-30 shots. Last two games have been the two lowest shot totals of the season. After the Denver game they had a stretch of 5 games with shot totals in the 40s - won all 5 - every single loss has seen a shot total in the 30s (Michigan in the 20s)
- Personnel is the same - English only played 3 games really - mid-field production has dropped off and fell off the roof against Michigan
- The last 3 games have also seen the highest number of turnovers since the first 2 games of the season - they are averaging 16 over that span while keeping it down to around 13 for most of the season.

There's no reason for Lehigh to change the script of the last few BIG games - Bauer might get the pole again and Hopkins better have something in the bag of tricks. Might be time to let Hunter just let it loose 5-6 times at least. If Hopkins gets to 11/12 that's not a bad sign - worried about them getting there.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Yale two-way middie Jack Monfort is transferring to the Jays: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ware/63329

Three-year contributor, 57 GBs the last two seasons with 19 career points.

Great and much-needed addition at a crucial position after we lose Martin, Jaronski, etc.

Admittedly I don't know how he is defensively (will defer to the Yale guys for that) but there's nobody better than Coach K to get the most out of that position as we've seen with his work with the current group. I wonder if Hackler will join him at Homewood...
coda

Post by coda »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:34 am I am not sure I agree with your conclusion norcal... Lehigh wins with defense. I took a brief look at their statistics - opponents have only scored 174 goals over 16 games - pretty easy math. They have a face-off man with a mid-high 50's success rate - their goalie is at 51%. They average about 34 shots per game and it seems they turn the ball over more than their coach would like. I would recommend staying away from Checo - averaging about 4 gbs a game and 3 CTOs a game. So thoughts:
- Not going to be the most exciting game in terms of scoring and the Pep band won't need to practice the song when Hop scores 20.
- Shots/shots/shots/shots - low probability of beating any team taking 25-30 shots. Last two games have been the two lowest shot totals of the season. After the Denver game they had a stretch of 5 games with shot totals in the 40s - won all 5 - every single loss has seen a shot total in the 30s (Michigan in the 20s)
- Personnel is the same - English only played 3 games really - mid-field production has dropped off and fell off the roof against Michigan
- The last 3 games have also seen the highest number of turnovers since the first 2 games of the season - they are averaging 16 over that span while keeping it down to around 13 for most of the season.

There's no reason for Lehigh to change the script of the last few BIG games - Bauer might get the pole again and Hopkins better have something in the bag of tricks. Might be time to let Hunter just let it loose 5-6 times at least. If Hopkins gets to 11/12 that's not a bad sign - worried about them getting there.
This was my thoughts when I saw the match-up. Styles make fights. Lehigh overall style is very similar to Hopkins. Lehigh is 73rd in offensive pace and Hopkins is 68th. Both are happy to play defense and grind out the game with long possessions. When both teams play similar styles, I tend to believe that will favor the more talented team. Teams that I would expect to give Hopkins issues are more high scoring/faster paced offenses coupled with a good FOGO.. Hopkins is not really built to come from behind or play shoot outs.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:19 pm Yale two-way middie Jack Monfort is transferring to the Jays: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ware/63329

Great and much-needed addition at a crucial position after we lose Martin, Jaronski, etc.

Admittedly I don't know how he is defensively (will defer to the Yale guys for that) but there's nobody better than Coach K to get the most out of that position as we've seen with his work with the current group. I wonder if Hackler will join him at Homewood...
Have to say it's really cool seeing that this sport has kicked the door wide open for these students to pick up a Masters at some of the best programs on the planet. One very good thing to come out of the transfer portal.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:19 pm Yale two-way middie Jack Monfort is transferring to the Jays: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ware/63329

That's a big pickup given what we lose at SSDM
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

a fan wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:02 pm

Have to say it's really cool seeing that this sport has kicked the door wide open for these students to pick up a Masters at some of the best programs on the planet. One very good thing to come out of the transfer portal.
He joins a Hopkins squad that graduates SSDMs Brett Martin, Hunter Jaronski, Brandon Aviles, Jakson Raposo and Cody Ince as well as offensive midfielders Johnathan Peshko, Brendan Grimes, Dylan Bauer and Casey McDermott.

THAT is a sentence.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Excellent! Welcome to Mr. Monfort!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://yalebulldogs.com/sports/mens-la ... fort/20086

6gbs and 2 cts in 3 career games against penn state including 4 gbs this year. On paper that's the production in a game against a big ten team you'd want to see them bringing in.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Degnon to the Redwoods in Round 3 of the PLL draft
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lax Mouse wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:31 pm Degnon to the Redwoods in Round 3 of the PLL draft
Well deserved for one of the best Blue Jays in recent memory

Reunites with OC John Grant Jr. who was far from perfect in his time here but he did help to unlock Garrett in that first 40-goal season in 2022.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

He’s excellent. Hopkins fans will love him.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:11 pm Hopkins got extremely lucky drawing lehigh and not towson. Still won't be an easy game.
Hopkins scrimmaged Lehigh in the fall both seemed evenly match.
I know just a scrimmage a lot has change seen then. Should be a game good.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”