Georgetown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Georgetown 2024

Post by Henpecked »

The Hoyas were sleepwalking in the first half against a very mediocre High Point squad. I was expecting a 9-10 goal victory over the Panthers even on the road. Georgetown can’t do that against Denver if they expect to win the Big East again. That won’t cut it. Good defensive effort in the second half.4-2 looks a LOT better than 3-3.

At large bids will be at a premium again this year. A loss against HP would have hurt. On a very positive note I don’t see too many challenges left on their schedule besides Denver (maybe Richmond?) Big East is not very good this year.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:36 am The Hoyas were sleepwalking in the first half against a very mediocre High Point squad. I was expecting a 9-10 goal victory over the Panthers even on the road. Georgetown can’t do that against Denver if they expect to win the Big East again. That won’t cut it. Good defensive effort in the second half.4-2 looks a LOT better than 3-3.

At large bids will be at a premium again this year. A loss against HP would have hurt. On a very positive note I don’t see too many challenges left on their schedule besides Denver (maybe Richmond?) Big East is not very good this year.
Definitely would have like to see better play from the Hoyas, especially the first half. Need to clean up some of the turnovers. On the other hand, the offense was getting good looks. A combination of poor shooting and good goalie play from High Point kept this one tight until the 4th quarter.

Agree that winning these game is critical when it comes time for tournament selection and the Hoyas got the job done.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:36 am The Hoyas were sleepwalking in the first half against a very mediocre High Point squad. I was expecting a 9-10 goal victory over the Panthers even on the road. Georgetown can’t do that against Denver if they expect to win the Big East again. That won’t cut it. Good defensive effort in the second half.4-2 looks a LOT better than 3-3.

I don't think a 9-10 goal victory on the road against a mediocre team should be expected. That's just not how these mid-week trap games go; they lost 19-13 to Cuse in the Dome last week, so HP may not be world beaters but they're not road kill either. At the end of the day Georgetown came out slow in a classic midweek "hunter vs. hunted" trap game, and still managed to cover the spread. Not bad all things considered. Lots of positives to take away from this one, including the experience of taking a counter punch when things aren't clicking and finding away to close out with authority.
HGK

Post by HGK »

The goals against has been a big improvement-

Loyola 18
Hopkins 11
ND 10
Brown 5
HPU 8

Moore playing great, SSDM a big strength, Foley and Chairs fitting in well and Banks is a legitimate shut down defender. Seems the play of Moore is infusing a lot of confidence on that side of the ball. Get guys healthy, finish the OOC strong and hopefully have a great BE run.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Forgot Penn

Loyola 18
Hopkins 11
Penn 9
ND 10
Brown 5
HPU 8

Moore playing great, SSDM a big strength, Foley and Chairs fitting in well and Banks is a legitimate shut down defender. Seems the play of Moore is infusing a lot of confidence on that side of the ball. Get guys healthy, finish the OOC strong and hopefully have a great BE run.
[/quote]
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

What's up with the two week break in the schedule? Deliberate? Or just weren't able to fill a slot?

Could be a good opportunity to get healthy, but lets hope they don't lose momentum.

4-2 with a win over a top 10 team and another over a top 15 is a pretty decent spot to be 1/3 of the way + into the season.
HGK

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:58 pm What's up with the two week break in the schedule? Deliberate? Or just weren't able to fill a slot?

Could be a good opportunity to get healthy, but lets hope they don't lose momentum.

4-2 with a win over a top 10 team and another over a top 15 is a pretty decent spot to be 1/3 of the way + into the season.
I believe it is due to a mandatory MBA program study abroad for this week. So with 4-5 boys gone they decided to not schedule any games. Obviously out of the control of Warne and coaches but seems could go either way. Help boys get healthy or get rusty and lose momentum. I would think they come out healthier and fired up a week from tomorrow and hopefully it ends up being a non strategic positive.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Consecutive weekends with no Hoya game is not fun for alums and supporters but hopefully works out well for the boys to come out healthy and ready to go a week from today. Dartmouth at home and then at Richmond before BE Play starts. Hopefully take care of business vs a much improved Big Green. Richmond game, on the road, is enormous.

IMO-

Given the Loyola loss this is a must win for an at large.
Richmond is really good as the 2OT loss to UMD and 14-10 loss to UVA show. Watching them today, they are really good regardless of what the lacrosse world might think of a somewhat down Bucknell team. Richmond can play, period. Hoyas need to be ready. Obviously can win the AQ but game at Richmond should be a great one and let us know where Hoyas stand heading into Big East play.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Hoyas return to action tomorrow after a two week layover.

I’m thinking they are going to be chomping at the bit to get back on the field and should come out refreshed and strong. This season has shown ypu can’t take any team for granted. Although they let them back in the game, Dartmouth took it to a Vermont team that beat a more than decent UMass team.

If the Hoyas continue their disciplined play on both ends of the field, they should be able to come out with a W in this one.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Hoyas up 10-3 at half.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

21-9 Final.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Definitely a bit of rust and the play between the restraining lines was both dynamic and poor at times but that was a great effort off a 2 week hiatus. 4 hat tricks, 14 boys with points, first 8 goals were 8 different players. Richmond is a huge game. At large bid not the goal but that scenario stays in place with a win into BE play. Great to have the team back playing and overall a ton to be excited about in terms of depth and breadth of contributions. Go get em Saturday night!
random observer

Post by random observer »

I feel like a broken record, but every week I'm astounded by the development of so much of this roster. To think that a year ago they were extremely top heavy, then lost their top 4 scorers (5 of their starting 6 -- while bringing in only one transfer to replace them), and are now deeper than before is incredible. Carroll is playing at a teamer AA level -- he may be the best player on the team at this point.

The second midfield may be as good as any I've seen this year besides ND (and maybe Duke or Army). I don't know where they've been hiding Goldberg, but ever since he got his shot he's looked more and more like the player who garnered so much recruiting hype. Cesare may be the best middie on the team at the moment. And I know Dartmouth is by no means a great team, but it was encouraging to see the reserves come in and keep things firing on all cylinders -- regardless of competition, it's not easy to come in cold with zero playing time and run the offense so smoothly.
Last edited by random observer on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

I agree that the second midfield is a very valuable aspect of this team. Goldberg and Cesare have excellent speed and quickness and can both pass and shoot. Cesare gets himself in good position for shots and they finally fell yesterday. Goldberg inverting on a SSDM adds dodging ability and allows Haley to excel at his strengths. Also, Verdaro has hit his stride and is dangerous from both up top and behind, and is great on clears running out of the box. This depth and versatility will help as the weather gets warmer and in the quick turnaround of the BE tourney. Not many teams have strong D midfielders no less strong second line D midfields and this offense can capitalize on this. Note that Goldberg hurt his left ankle/foot yesterday and left the game - hope this is nothing serious.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Also love the development of the transition game and using D-mids on offense. Two goals and two assists out of the D-mid line and could have had a couple more.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

rolldodge wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:19 am Also love the development of the transition game and using D-mids on offense. Two goals and two assists out of the D-mid line and could have had a couple more.
Really interesting contest with Richmond, who are capable of upsetting anyone today. Georgetown has a personnel advantage but predict a nailbiter, either way
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

blue angels wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:52 am
rolldodge wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:19 am Also love the development of the transition game and using D-mids on offense. Two goals and two assists out of the D-mid line and could have had a couple more.
Really interesting contest with Richmond, who are capable of upsetting anyone today. Georgetown has a personnel advantage but predict a nailbiter, either way
I expect this will be a highly competitive matchup.
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

Great win by the Hoyas tonight against a tough Richmond squad. Vardaro really hitting his stride and Moore continues to shine. Each week I am more and more impressed with the freshman in between the pipes, no pun intended.

Admittedly, I was a little nervous about all the time off for spring break, but this team hasn’t missed a beat. If anything, they look fresh, energized and could be a tremendous tailwind for them down the line.
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
HGK

Post by HGK »

The balance on offense is tremendous and gets more valuable as you get into May. I would imagine the 10 man clear will be a focus of this week’s practice. Have to a better job of getting it to Hess. Kid is a one man clear. On to the big east with a lot of momentum!
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

Anderson Moore is an elite goaltender. The kid makes the spectacular save along with the routine. The defense is galvanizing around him and he bails them out when they spring the occasional leak. Theyre going to have to make room for him on the All American lists starting this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”