Georgetown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMV_Guy

Re: Georgetown 2024

Post by DMV_Guy »

rolldodge wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:09 am What's the take on next Sunday?

Were the two overtime wins in BET a sign of the Hoyas hitting a wall? Or is that just playoff lacrosse? Defense back closer to form in the second half against Nova with Moore emerging from his mini-slump with a couple of clutch saves.

Have teams figured out how to play Haley and the assist-happy second midfield? Goldberg has been noticeably quiet in the past few games. Carrol came up big against Providence but pressed a bit (by his own admission) versus Villanova.

Keys to this game IMHO:
  • Defense needs to get back on track. I think Moore and Banks now have some playoff experience and will settle in nicely. The home game helps also
  • Can the offense put it all together? Combine the methodical 6 on 6 assisted goals + a few individual effort goals + a few in transition from the rope unit
  • Can they get Haley / Bundy / Vardaro more involved?
  • Can Ball stay consistent through 4 quarters?
  • Team needs to play with intensity and poise from the get go.
  • Adjustments needed at half time on the offensive side to avoid the recent second-half malaise.
The good news is that this team finds a way to win and doesn't choke under pressure. The tough games in the BET have them on notice that nothing is going to come easy. Penn State is going to come out fired up after that performance against Michigan. This is going to be a good one. Go Hoyas!
Agree on all of the above. The optimist in me wants to say the BET has them battle tested and alert. Not sure what caused the second half slumps, but hoping it will be a two-time blip.

Penn State is a legit contender. Their goalie is one of the best in the nation and they have weapons on offense. Notably, they have Hoya alum Joe Bucci on the staff, which makes this matchup very interesting. Will the student become the master? Let’s hope not!
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

NCAA Lacrosse Tournament Preview: Georgetown vs Penn State
By Lacrosse Culture Daily

https://youtu.be/g6QFnWct6Bs?si=zm7vPZfTpsRrCbWO
HGK

Post by HGK »

Hoyas OT wins in both the semis and finals of BET are either really worrisome or indicative of a team that seems to play to the competition, which was better than RPI would suggest IMHO, but comes out on top. Good teams hang around, great teams find a way. Whether this is a good or great team yet tbd but finding a way in both games should give Hoyas belief they can hang in and hopefully find a way to win a tough battle again.
HGK

Post by HGK »

It certainly isn’t always as you would script it but this team has some serious stones and continues to find a way.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:38 pm It certainly isn’t always as you would script it but this team has some serious stones and continues to find a way.
Awesome to see the young guys step up. Hofstra here we come. Go Hoyas!
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

Incredible game by the Hoyas today in front of a packed Cooper field crowd. Very impressed by the way they bounced back following a sluggish start. Credit to coach Warne for making phenomenal adjustments and calling good timeouts to stop the bleeding when PSU went on runs. Anderson Moore was outstanding in the second half. Best surprise of the day was Schubert making highlight reel plays. This team clearly has something special.

Next week will be a challenge, but if anyone can beat a red hot Notre Dame, it’s the Swamp Pups.
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Bravo to the Hoyas. What a comeback, what a win. Feels like a career-defining win for Coach Warne. Best of luck to Georgetown as they advance!
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 pm Incredible game by the Hoyas today in front of a packed Cooper field crowd. Very impressed by the way they bounced back following a sluggish start. Credit to coach Warne for making phenomenal adjustments and calling good timeouts to stop the bleeding when PSU went on runs. Anderson Moore was outstanding in the second half. Best surprise of the day was Schubert making highlight reel plays. This team clearly has something special.

Next week will be a challenge, but if anyone can beat a red hot Notre Dame, it’s the Swamp Pups.
Two unsung heroes were Stairs shutting Malone down after defensive switch in first half, and Moore settling down in mid-second quarter. Also Matthew Riley had a few key faceoff wins down the stretch to preserve the W.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Freshman Jack Schubert with 3 and 1 (1 goal was an empty netter). Freshman getting hot at the right time. I think he hit 2-3 posts as well. Bright future for the freshman plus add in Moore and Banks- that's a solid freshman class to build on.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:30 am Freshman Jack Schubert with 3 and 1 (1 goal was an empty netter). Freshman getting hot at the right time. I think he hit 2-3 posts as well. Bright future for the freshman plus add in Moore and Banks- that's a solid freshman class to build on.
Shubert with 3. Wray with 4. Crogan with 2 including the game winner. Moore with a solid second half. Young guys stepped up.

Plus Banks with a major juice goal off a slick ground ball and shovel pass from Halpert. And Chairs quietly shutting down Malone.

Great team effort by the Hoyas.
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

Wild to see 10 of the 12 goals by either Sophomores or Freshmen! Those late shot clock goals almost count for 1.5 goals in my mind. They're just daggers to the opposing team.
HGK

Post by HGK »

FWIW - including the Georgetown ND game on 2/25 two teams left in the tournament have one loss. ND in that game and Georgetown at Denver. Every other team has at least 3 losses since that date. We can argue SOS and RPI but whether it’s pretty or not, the Hoyas find a way to win. Obviously ND is the logical favorite but Hoyas have learned how to face adversity alll year, 4th quarter deficits in last 3 straight and wins. Might not have been against the blue bloods but they have found a way and knowing how to finish is something you can’t necessarily teach, it comes from experience. If Hoyas have any advantage Saturday, I would say it is that experience of having your season on the line 3X in a row and not flinching.
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

has GT under Warne ever been in final 4?
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

another hofstra boy manning the GT ship
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Once - not under Warne though
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

6 trips to the NCAA Tournament under Coach Warne:

3 first round losses to Hopkins (‘18), Yale (‘19) & Delaware (‘22)
3 first round wins vs. Syracuse (‘21), Yale (‘23) & Penn State (‘24)
2 quarterfinal loses to UVA (‘21 & 23)
Quarterfinal vs. Notre Dame (‘24) TBD

*’20 cancelled due to pandemic
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

had asked on game thread but only seeing live stats it appeared neither goldberg or cesare played. They've grown a lot this year and while not stars seem improtant to their success. did neither play last week?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SkipPass wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:10 pm 6 trips to the NCAA Tournament under Coach Warne:

3 first round losses to Hopkins (‘18), Yale (‘19) & Delaware (‘22)
3 first round wins vs. Syracuse (‘21), Yale (‘23) & Penn State (‘24)
2 quarterfinal loses to UVA (‘21 & 23)
Quarterfinal vs. Notre Dame (‘24) TBD

*’20 cancelled due to pandemic
Not the run urick had from 98-07 but six years running of excellence.
See Martin, Malcolm
HGK

Post by HGK »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:48 pm had asked on game thread but only seeing live stats it appeared neither goldberg or cesare played. They've grown a lot this year and while not stars seem improtant to their success. did neither play last week?
They both played limited minutes. Shubert is the one glaring difference the Hoyas have now vs the February game. He brings a dynamic ability to create his own shot and is a good feeder as well. That likely creates a short stick matchup for someone who was poled in the last game. Goldberg and Cesare, along with Llewelan had big efforts that last game. All hands on deck Saturday!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HGK wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:48 pm had asked on game thread but only seeing live stats it appeared neither goldberg or cesare played. They've grown a lot this year and while not stars seem improtant to their success. did neither play last week?
They both played limited minutes. Shubert is the one glaring difference the Hoyas have now vs the February game. He brings a dynamic ability to create his own shot and is a good feeder as well. That likely creates a short stick matchup for someone who was poled in the last game. Goldberg and Cesare, along with Llewelan had big efforts that last game. All hands on deck Saturday!
I was introduced to Cesare by my son randomly using a very high fantasy lock in him in 23. Hear he was a late bloomer with a strong shot. Haven’t seen much in I’m not touching your video service sorry. We also had Goldberg on the roster we inherited. They really came in this year and I think for the important depth aspect they make a difference on the margin. Cesare could be a starter eventually I thinks
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”