Seacoaster(1)

Denver v. Northwestern 3:00 pm 5/26/2023

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Thread for Game 1. Go (Oh) Puoneers!
DMac

Re: Denver v. Northwestern 3:00 pm 5/26/2023

Post by DMac »

Figured this one out already.
14-8, Wildcats put a lethal attack on the Pioneers.
Scane explodes with 5 & 3.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

DMac wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:21 pm Figured this one out already.
8??? .... :shock:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:21 pm Figured this one out already.
I don't think Northwestern will score that many, DMac. THat many -- 14 -- seems like a lot. If NU gets to 10, it'll be the first game in which Denver has given up double digits this year. I think NU wins this game 10-7 or something like that.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, I'm stickin' with it. Think I might even have my house on the line here but I'm all in.
Gonna have to throw a couple clauses in there. If I lose I stay on as njb's roommate and the
pot plants stay too. :mrgreen:
njbill

Post by njbill »

The pot plants are welcome to stay. :lol:

This could be a great deal for me given DMac’s cooking talents.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Fired up for the late game Friday but intrigued by this one as I don’t know the teams as well (I did see Denver beat BC live). Those who want to talk Xs Os work with me here. For all the praise Coach Kelly deserves for DU’s impressive season, it seems to me she should be prepared to do something a little different in this one—take a few chances. But I’m not even sure what I would do—fake punt? Flea-flicker? If Denver was your team, what would you do?

My thinking: The Denver zone isn’t likely to hold up as well v the Wildcats as it did v BC, UNC who needed to adjust to DU pressure zone in real time. Northwestern is used to a pressure zone (not exactly the same as Denver) as they practice it every day. Is there anything Denver could do to give a different look on D? What about a shut-off?

Since the defense is the Denver identity, maybe you don’t mess with it. Still, they probably need to score more than 5-6 goals. What’s the offensive adjustment? They are fast and could push for, even force, a couple transition goals. I’m not sure what they usually run for settled O (they didn’t have to show much in the BC game) but maybe attack the Northwestern backer with overload from X? Post up one of their 6-footers on the crease and force a collapse?

Or, DU could just focus on executing at their very best? However, coaching adjustments are usually needed at some point.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

GratefulRed wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:44 pm Fired up for the late game Friday but intrigued by this one as I don’t know the teams as well (I did see Denver beat BC live). Those who want to talk Xs Os work with me here. For all the praise Coach Kelly deserves for DU’s impressive season, it seems to me she should be prepared to do something a little different in this one—take a few chances. But I’m not even sure what I would do—fake punt? Flea-flicker? If Denver was your team, what would you do?

My thinking: The Denver zone isn’t likely to hold up as well v the Wildcats as it did v BC, UNC who needed to adjust to DU pressure zone in real time. Northwestern is used to a pressure zone (not exactly the same as Denver) as they practice it every day. Is there anything Denver could do to give a different look on D? What about a shut-off?

Since the defense is the Denver identity, maybe you don’t mess with it. Still, they probably need to score more than 5-6 goals. What’s the offensive adjustment? They are fast and could push for, even force, a couple transition goals. I’m not sure what they usually run for settled O (they didn’t have to show much in the BC game) but maybe attack the Northwestern backer with overload from X? Post up one of their 6-footers on the crease and force a collapse?

Or, DU could just focus on executing at their very best? However, coaching adjustments are usually needed at some point.
I think it's going to be a physical game. Both teams will need to keep their heads and stay composed to be able to execute their game plan effectively.

It's hard to see Denver using something like a faceguard with their zone, I think it would open up way too much space and NU has plenty of capable scorers that would be all too happy to capitalize on the extra space. I see them coming out in their typical zone but they will likely have adjustments prepared. Maybe they don't pressure out as much & stay closer to home (playing it safe doesn't sound like something this Denver team wants to do, but it's what I'd do), but if they want to throw a face guard on Scane or anyone else I think they'll have to come out of their typical zone.

The only advice I have for Denver on the attacking end is to finish your chances. I don't fee like I've seen enough of their attack to offer much advice. Hopefully they've worked a lot on ball movement this past week. Dineen is a nice player.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:28 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:44 pm Fired up for the late game Friday but intrigued by this one as I don’t know the teams as well (I did see Denver beat BC live). Those who want to talk Xs Os work with me here. For all the praise Coach Kelly deserves for DU’s impressive season, it seems to me she should be prepared to do something a little different in this one—take a few chances. But I’m not even sure what I would do—fake punt? Flea-flicker? If Denver was your team, what would you do?

I think it's going to be a physical game. Both teams will need to keep their heads and stay composed to be able to execute their game plan effectively.

It's hard to see Denver using something like a faceguard with their zone, I think it would open up way too much space and NU has plenty of capable scorers that would be all too happy to capitalize on the extra space. I see them coming out in their typical zone but they will likely have adjustments prepared. Maybe they don't pressure out as much & stay closer to home (playing it safe doesn't sound like something this Denver team wants to do, but it's what I'd do), but if they want to throw a face guard on Scane or anyone else I think they'll have to come out of their typical zone.

The only advice I have for Denver on the attacking end is to finish your chances. I don't fee like I've seen enough of their attack to offer much advice. Hopefully they've worked a lot on ball movement this past week. Dineen is a nice player.
Agreed; the zone is the horse Denver rode into Memorial Day Weekend, and it is almost certain that it stays in the defensive game plan. I can see Northwestern getting to the 8-meter line a half a dozen or more times. KAH and Scott are gonna run a cottage industry in pointing out shooting space and three seconds calls to the officials.

Assume Denver has to score 10 to win; how do they get there? They have to cash in on transition and slow break opportunities. a settled 7v7 game favors NU.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

OK, so interesting, Sea ... I think was thinking the opposite. I think NU tries NOT to get into a 7v7 against the Denver zone. They play fast and opportunistic and try to NOT let Denver establish any kind of defensive rhythm.

NU is a team full of burners and this has been their calling card for the last 10 years or so. KAH recruits speed and athleticism and the NU MO is often to just flat out "out-athletic" opponents. The downside is that sometimes playing fast causes you to make mistakes and against a disciplined team, you can get burned. On the other side, I think one of Denver's top objectives is to NOT to let NU run. That zone is like drawing a fly into a spider's web ; ) !

I am looking forward to seeing who can dictate the pace (NU = FAST, Denver = possession) ... I think whoever can do that wins this one.
Bart

Post by Bart »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:48 am OK, so interesting, Sea ... I think was thinking the opposite. I think NU tries NOT to get into a 7v7 against the Denver zone. They play fast and opportunistic and try to NOT let Denver establish any kind of defensive rhythm.

NU is a team full of burners and this has been their calling card for the last 10 years or so. KAH recruits speed and athleticism and the NU MO is often to just flat out "out-athletic" opponents. The downside is that sometimes playing fast causes you to make mistakes and against a disciplined team, you can get burned. On the other side, I think one of Denver's top objectives is to NOT to let NU run. That zone is like drawing a fly into a spider's web ; ) !

I am looking forward to seeing who can dictate the pace (NU = FAST, Denver = possession) ... I think whoever can do that wins this one.
I gotta agree with this. If I'm NU the last thing I want to do it let DU set up and play 7 v 7. NU has the horses to run and run they should.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:48 am OK, so interesting, Sea ... I think was thinking the opposite. I think NU tries NOT to get into a 7v7 against the Denver zone. They play fast and opportunistic and try to NOT let Denver establish any kind of defensive rhythm.

I agree with both. I think ideally, scoring on the fast break is the best game plan and NU has all the pieces to do so, but if they’re forced into a settled 7v7, I agree with Sea that the settled situation still favors NU (much less than a fast break does, though). If they do get forced into settled situations a lot, NU will have to focus on keeping their composure mentally. As I said earlier, I think the game is going to be physical and a bit chippy - you can’t let frustration turn into bad shooting/retaliation/poor decision making. That goes for both teams.

And Seacoaster, I actually meant to put something in my post about KAH and Scott being on top of the 3 second and shooting space calls too :lol:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Good points. And agree: NU will push hard to prevent Denver from getting and staying organized. I guess I was really thinking about Denver scoring goals. Their offense looks pretty anemic against a good defense. They scored five goals against Carolina. Denver has to figure out a way to puts some shots past Laliberty.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

NU defeated BC this year because they drew 10 FPS and scored on 7 of them. It was an intentional strategy to drive into traffic and draw fouls. I understand it will be different against the DU zone, but I expect the Cats to pursue a similar plan Friday.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

The Denver primary game plan emphasis will be on playing their defensive "Hot Pink" zone as they have all season - together as a unit. There is no secret here, and when Denver gets beaten on a goal, they look at it as something that needs fixing and they tend to adjust quickly so that it doesn't happen again. That said, I think they will likely need at least a 50% Bohi saves percentage to keep the game close, because NU is likely going to generate more shots on goal than UNC did. I don't think Denver is going to hold NU scoreless for 35 minutes as Denver did to UNC last week.

Offensively, all Denver needs to do is to score one more goal than Northwestern does to advance. Denver is comfortable with (and embraces) a close game. The Denver offensive philosophy is to be efficient in converting on the offensive possessions they do get, and with the quality of Denver's defense, Denver's offense gets the ball more often than most teams do, so Denver just needs to be efficient enough in finding the back of the net.

In my mind, converting on free position opportunities is probably the deciding factor for both teams.
DMac

Post by DMac »

GKs, outlet passes, and clears too.
FPSs? You just HAVE to score on those.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Northwestern 10 Denver 7.

Frankly, this is the more intriguing game. These teams hardly if ever have played. Somebody looked it up but I forget already. The other semifinalists play a lot. Plus this game is the eternally intriguing irresistible force meets the immovable object.

I give edges to NU on the draw, offense, and goalie. Edge to Denver on defense. I'm going to call coaching a wash, though certainly a case can be made for KAH given her resume. But Liza Kelly ain't chopped liver. So a wash it is.

UNC seemed reluctant to shoot, almost timid at times. I don't think the Wildcats will be gun shy. If it were me, I'd shoot them 8ms. It's not a Dmac walk in the park, but it's better than having three or four or five snarling wolverines trying to take your head off.

Nagging concern is this game could be a clunker. I think there is no chance the other semi will clunk.
lacrossenut99

Post by lacrossenut99 »

Hopefully the refs don’t allow this game to be the usual Northwestern flop fest. If Denver can limit the free positions Northwestern gets, they can stay in the game until the end. I don’t think Denver has the firepower on offense to come back if fall behind too much. Who knows? Should be a fun day of lacrosse
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Can Opener wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:48 am NU defeated BC this year because they drew 10 FPS and scored on 7 of them. It was an intentional strategy to drive into traffic and draw fouls. I understand it will be different against the DU zone, but I expect the Cats to pursue a similar plan Friday.
lacrossenut99 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:01 pm Hopefully the refs don’t allow this game to be the usual Northwestern flop fest. If Denver can limit the free positions Northwestern gets, they can stay in the game until the end. I don’t think Denver has the firepower on offense to come back if fall behind too much. Who knows? Should be a fun day of lacrosse
Coach Kelly should have sent the officials a video compilation of embellishment highlights. I think I saw her at the ref's hotel last night starting to work them on this point :D Too many FPs for Northwestern could be the difference.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

GratefulRed wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:35 am
Can Opener wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:48 am NU defeated BC this year because they drew 10 FPS and scored on 7 of them. It was an intentional strategy to drive into traffic and draw fouls. I understand it will be different against the DU zone, but I expect the Cats to pursue a similar plan Friday.
lacrossenut99 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:01 pm Hopefully the refs don’t allow this game to be the usual Northwestern flop fest. If Denver can limit the free positions Northwestern gets, they can stay in the game until the end. I don’t think Denver has the firepower on offense to come back if fall behind too much. Who knows? Should be a fun day of lacrosse
Coach Kelly should have sent the officials a video compilation of embellishment highlights. I think I saw her at the ref's hotel last night starting to work them on this point :D Too many FPs for Northwestern could be the difference.
And KAH and her staff will definitely be on the refs for 3-second violations and shooting space fouls!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”