NCAA finally does something right

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

NCAA finally does something right

Post by xxxxxxx »

Sources tell me the NCAA finally is allowing all players to dress for tournament games and are putting a patch on the jerseys of the 35 eligible players. It was so sad to see teammates sitting in the stands. It’s about time, but I still despise them.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: NCAA finally does something right

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:06 pm Sources tell me the NCAA finally is allowing all players to dress for tournament games and are putting a patch on the jerseys of the 35 eligible players. It was so sad to see teammates sitting in the stands. It’s about time, but I still despise them.
That’s great news!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Post by 1766 »

Very unfair to those players throughout that weren't allowed to dress with their fellow teammates. They fixed a wrong but it's a travesty it took so long to do this. Those players who didn't get the experience all deserved better.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

How do they come up with such crap in the first place ?
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:45 pm How do they come up with such crap in the first place ?
I'd be willing to bet it was and has been the collective school's decision: save travel money. Penny-wise and pound foolish IMO.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Big Dog wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:03 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:45 pm How do they come up with such crap in the first place ?
I'd be willing to bet it was and has been the collective school's decision: save travel money. Penny-wise and pound foolish IMO.
The administrators still used to get paid right? Disappointing it was the forums that had to push the ncaa on this and none of the journalists who cover the sport who complain about everything else ever said anything.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:26 pm
The administrators still used to get paid right? Disappointing it was the forums that had to push the ncaa on this and none of the journalists who cover the sport who complain about everything else ever said anything.
Great point I never once heard the ESPN clown show mention it, it was the cruelest thing in sports. Grow the game, yea right.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

My bad. It appears that the NCAA pays for the tournaments and travel. All teams are capped, so other Scout teams cannot travel either, except for perhaps the BCS and basketball teams. The relevant question would be how does approved LAX travel of a typical D1 team compare to other sports (as a % of total)?

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... licies.pdf
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Big Dog wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:56 pm
My bad. It appears that the NCAA pays for the tournaments and travel. All teams are capped, so other Scout teams cannot travel either, except for perhaps the BCS and basketball teams.

the (not equal) good news is many teams had guys go anyway. at least to driveable distances. go 4 to a room. hang out. even get to socialize. but couldn't dress for games, don't remember about practice.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My bad. It appears that the NCAA pays for the tournaments and travel. All teams are capped, so other Scout teams cannot travel either, except for perhaps the BCS and basketball teams. The relevant question would be how does approved LAX travel of a typical D1 team compare to other sports (as a % of total)?

I’m guessing they may buy a blanket tourney insurance policy and that requires changing the number of someone bodies covered.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:39 pm

I’m guessing they may buy a blanket tourney insurance policy and that requires changing the number of someone bodies covered.
That's probably true, but any additional insurance costs for ~ten extra 22-year olds standing around to watch a game is probably negligible in comparison to air/bus & lodging to get them there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Big Dog wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:44 pm

That's probably true, but any additional insurance costs for ~ten extra 22-year olds standing around to watch a game is probably negligible in comparison to air/bus & lodging to get them there.
10 (w inflated rosters more like 15-20 per) x 16 teams (exclude play in maybe?) and it’s more like 160 bodies. I have no idea what specialized single event retail policies look like but I’d guess it’s still such a small collective pool they charge like $500-$1,000/head north knowing who will advance.

It’s still the right thing to do but it could easily add $50 - $100k to the cost.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:50 pm

10 (w inflated rosters more like 15-20 per) x 16 teams (exclude play in maybe?) and it’s more like 160 bodies. I have no idea what specialized single event retail policies look like but I’d guess it’s still such a small collective pool they charge like $500-$1,000/head north knowing who will advance.

It’s still the right thing to do but it could easily add $50 - $100k to the cost.
then you multiply it by the number of sports the ncaa deals with and all the other things like this they get asked to spend on and you can see I guess why they'd rather not.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:50 pm

then you multiply it by the number of sports the ncaa deals with and all the other things like this they get asked to spend on and you can see I guess why they'd rather not.
D3 football where budgets aren’t that far below more than half of D1 men’s lacrosse, are allowed to travel 55 for road playoff games. On rosters than run 85-200 (Mt Union, UMHB, the D3 football factories often run north of 125) half the teams kids aren’t travelling for playoff games despite not being able to take traditional internships because of preseason commitments. I get the math but I don’t get how the org pretends their even thinking about the kids at all with their institutional
Mindset. They don’t of course.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”