Villanova 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Villanova 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:25 am
Magbride14 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:12 pm Hey D3laxfan2, I still think that Simon Conor would have been a better choice for the Manhattan top job rather then a young assistant,
According to his bio, Doug Sage graduated from Gettysburg in 1998. Is that considered young? I'm pretty sure he coached John Odierna at Gettysburg as an assistant as well.
just my take but I guess u must know more about college lacrosse then the rest of us
Not sure where you are reading that from my post? I just told you that an interim coach for the year had already been announced.
98 graduate is like 46-48yrs old
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

More legacy info re: Jake Melchionni

his grandfather has a VG history with Villanova,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Melchionni

________
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Seems to me they have the talent to compete with anyone; particularly the last 3 seasons.

Always come up a day late and a dollar short at seasons end.

I sort of feel that they have to be more innovative to beat teams in the conference, who all know exactly how to stop Simon Connors motion offense

It is meaningless to sneak in an out of conference win; and the street has come to expect that from nova and discounts it.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

While it might be a little early to be picking at the bones of Cabrini. I was wondering if moving the team from the Villanova football field to the Stadium at Cabrini has been discussed. There would probably need to be more stands built but itis a soccer lacrosse field. So I trying to decide if that would be a positive or negative to recruiting. Sharing 1 field with several sports lknd of gives a less then committed vibe. Any thoughts?
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

palaxoff wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:58 am While it might be a little early to be picking at the bones of Cabrini. I was wondering if moving the team from the Villanova football field to the Stadium at Cabrini has been discussed. There would probably need to be more stands built but itis a soccer lacrosse field. So I trying to decide if that would be a positive or negative to recruiting. Sharing 1 field with several sports lknd of gives a less then committed vibe. Any thoughts?
i've mentioned it before but the lacrosse field over at cabrini doesn't seem suitable for a D1 program. not a lot of stands - just doesn't seem big enough to me. the athletic building seems pretty nice though. i also thought i saw it mentioned that they're moving their law school over there - not so sure the athletic facilities will stick around.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Your primary donor, Charles Widger, threw a fit. Law school move is off the table. Hearing you might either move the nursing school or make it an international student hub.

The hill on the team side of the Edith Robb Dixon field, along with the baseball and softball fields, were on land leased from VFMA. Not sure if that is still the case, nor the status of the lease given the pending acquisition by 'Nova. But I bet some of that cheese y'all are working with might convince them and Radnor township that expanded stands are a wonderful choice. Would still be intimate, but I mean, it's big enough to drop in stands to hold your average attendance of 1500-1800. Parking wise though, IDK. The new above ground garage is decent, but that's a lot of vehicles. You'd have to repurpose some of the open space to accommodate IMO.

The Nerney Pavilion (Thomas Nerney, USLI founder) was recently built to expand the Dixon Center (originally funded by a grant from Fitz and Edith Robb Dixon). New locker rooms. All the accoutrements. The boys might trash it after their last game though :lol:

I could see it as an athletic hub with lax/soccer specific facilities given the aforementioned stuff. There are like 110+ acres to work with.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wow! Malvern Prep, also run by the Augustinians, is LOADED for 2025. I sure hope Nova gets at least one of those fine players.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Exactly, so the lacrosse community felt that nova was a legit top 10 team all year. Several players are given the top honors in all of lacrosse. As many as the ultimate national champions.

Then why such an epic fail at the end of the year? Did everyone get it wrong? And Nova has made it into the top 10 a few times over the last decade, and fallen at the end of those seasons as well, it is sort of like the Bill Murray movie Groundhog Day
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Magbride14 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:21 pm Exactly, so the lacrosse community felt that nova was a legit top 10 team all year. Several players are given the top honors in all of lacrosse. As many as the ultimate national champions.

Then why such an epic fail at the end of the year? Did everyone get it wrong? And Nova has made it into the top 10 a few times over the last decade, and fallen at the end of those seasons as well, it is sort of like the Bill Murray movie Groundhog Day
Not having a fully-funded program, meaning less scholarships and a smaller roster, really works against Nova at times.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Villanova with a solid local pickup for 2025,
from Malvern Prep,

https://phillylacrosse.com/2023/berwync ... villanova/

They’re up to four 2025 commits to date.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

I just remembered a lax story from a number of years ago that sums up Villanova lacrosse, ran into Gerry Byrne at a Chaminade /Manhasset lacrosse game ( when he was still coaching at ND, GB said, that Corrado and Nova puts a starting 10 out on the field every spring that can play with any other team in the country but Mike just doesn’t have the scholarships or the roster size to sustain a full season
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

I was really worried that either MD or Navy we’re gonna steal Simon Conor as their new offensive coordinator, Nova is so lucky to have him for the last 17 years
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Rough opener on the road for the ‘Cats, it looked like it took till the 3rd quarter for Novas young team to get their sea legs under them, let’s hope Simon Conor has an offensive trick up his sleeve, like last spring, when he found the All American Austin Fraser, who was sitting on his bench for 3 years
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

Great win for the Cats against #20 Colgate on Saturday. After graduating All-Americans and veterans like Campbell, Fraser, Daly, Comizio, LaPorte and Vitton, the Villanova coaching staff has done a great job of regrouping this season. The offense in particular is getting better. Of the 15 goals Nova scored on Colgate, 13 were from assists. Matt Licata and Mason Reale each had four assists. Nine different players scored.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1761457094182781069
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Is anyone planning to head to Annapolis for the game against Navy?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Good win at Lehigh. By the way, on the College Lacrosse Discussion Page on Facebook, a post was made earlier today regarding Villanova Lacrosse possibly taking higher steps soon.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:15 pm Good win at Lehigh. By the way, on the College Lacrosse Discussion Page on Facebook, a post was made earlier today regarding Villanova Lacrosse possibly taking higher steps soon.
12.6 would be an added bonus to Mike Corrado's ability recruit All American players and consistently competitive teams.

The Cats put on another solid performance at Lehigh on Saturday. I saw the Colgate game at Villanova Stadium and watched the Lehigh game on ESPN Plus. Nova has eight contributing offensive players, with Licatta and Michner scoring a combined 21 points in three games, and Reale and Holy Cross transfer McIntire leading the assists category with 7 each.

Anthony Wilson is very solid in goal. Coppola is a bull at FOGO and the defense is strong despite graduating AA Chet Camizio and LaPorte.

There’s not much confidence in the media polls for Villanova. The Wildcats beat Colgate 15-9, but USA Lacrosse Magazine ranked Colgate #21 and excluded Nova from the top 25. Similarly, Quint Kessenich ranked Colgate at #21 Colgate and has Drexel at #24, but Nova is not in his top 25.
Nova faces Drexel Tuesday night.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Been close to a month. Anyone know what Simon Conor has been
Up to lately?
See Martin, Malcolm
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:51 pm Been close to a month. Anyone know what Simon Conor has been
Up to lately?
He is Associate Head Coach, did I miss something? Close to a month?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:51 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:51 pm Been close to a month. Anyone know what Simon Conor has been
Up to lately?
He is Associate Head Coach, did I miss something? Close to a month?
The last mention here by one conduit was Feb 12 and it’s March 4 now. Close to a month.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”