For hockey fans...

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: For hockey fans...

Post by Brooklyn »

Philadelphia Flyers’ Bigoted Ivan Provorov cites religion for boycott of team’s Pride night
Defenseman doesn’t take part in pre-game skate on Pride night
Provorov: ‘My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion’

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... hia-flyers

Flyers defenseman Ivan Provorov cited his Russian Orthodox religion as the reason he did not participate in pre-game warmups when the team wore Pride-themed jerseys and used sticks wrapped in rainbow Pride tape.

The 26-year-old Provorov boycotted the pregame skate with his teammates before Tuesday night’s game against Anaheim as the Flyers celebrated their annual Pride night in celebration and support of the LGBTQ+ community. He played nearly 23 minutes in Philadelphia’s 5-2 victory.

“I respect everybody’s choices,” Provorov said after the game. “My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion. That’s all I’m going to say.”

Yandy Diaz was among the Rays players to wear the rainbow logo
‘We don’t want to encourage it’: some Rays players refuse to wear Pride logo

Provorov declined to answer follow-up questions about his decision.

Flyers coach John Tortorella said Provorov “was true to himself and to his religion”.

“It’s one thing I respect about Provy, he’s always true to himself,” Tortorella said.

Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill, leader of Russia’s dominant religious group, sent a strong signal last March justifying his country’s invasion of Ukraine – describing the conflict as part of a struggle against sin and pressure from liberal foreigners to hold “gay parades” as the price of admission to their ranks.

The jerseys and sticks were set to be auctioned off by the Flyers following the game, with proceeds going to the team’s charity and its efforts to grow the game of hockey in diverse communities.

The Flyers also hosted a pregame skate for local LGBTQ+ youth. Flyers players James van Riemsdyk and Scott Laughton have been staunch supporters of the community and launched a program in support of local LGBTQ+ youth in the greater Philadelphia area.

Laughton and van Riemsdyk met after the game with about 50 people in the LGBTQ+ community. Laughton said overall the Flyers had a “great, great night that brings a lot of awareness”.

Laughton said there would be more conversations ahead with Provorov, who moved from Russia to the United States as a teenager. He signed a six-year, $40.5m contract before the 2019 season and won the Barry Ashbee Trophy as the Flyers’ outstanding defenseman in his rookie season, the youngest Philadelphia player to receive the honor.

“I don’t hold anything against anyone,” Laughton said. “It’s nothing like that. It was an awesome night and I’m very happy we got a win on a night like this.”

All-Star forward Kevin Hayes, who had a hat trick in the win over Anaheim, said “it’s not for me to answer” when asked how he felt about Provorov’s decision.

The Wells Fargo Center was decorated Tuesday night in rainbow hues representing the LGBTQ+ community through special pride-themed arena LEDs, décor and rainbow-themed team merchandise.

“The Philadelphia Flyers organization is committed to inclusivity and is proud to support the LGBTQ+ community,” the team said in a statement after the game. “Many of our players are active in their support of local LGBTQ+ organizations, and we were proud to host our annual Pride Night again this year. The Flyers will continue to be strong advocates for inclusivity and the LGBTQ+ community.”

The NHL also champions the You Can Play Project, which aims to ensure equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation. The NHL has never had an openly gay active player.

Shame on the league for allowing this type of open bigotry. When Colin Kaepernick exercised his rights he was blackballed. Why doesn't the league do the same with bigoted Provorov? And where are the holier than thou creeps of the radical far right who claim they never discriminate??
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

A culture of complete fear’: Harvard women’s hockey coach Katey Stone under fire for alleged abusive behavior

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/01/27/ ... ns-hockey/

Katey Stone’s 26th season as the Harvard women’s ice hockey coach, brimming with promise most of the way, suddenly was sinking — and Stone’s anger was rising.

Her 2021-22 team, champions of the Ivy League and ECAC regular seasons, had entered the regional ECAC playoffs as the top seed, only to be upended in the first round by a mediocre Princeton rival.

As the Crimson skated through a subpar practice before the ultimate challenge, the NCAA tournament, Stone’s whistle shrieked. She abruptly curtailed the practice, profanely ordered everyone to the locker room, then stood before her players, two of whom proudly identified as North Americans of Indigenous descent.

In an outburst that witnesses described as degrading and dispiriting, Stone accused the players she had recruited of showing her too little respect and devolving into a collection of skaters “with too many chiefs and not enough Indians.”

Maryna Macdonald, a junior starting defenseman from the Ditidaht First Nation of Canada’s Vancouver Island, said Stone looked her in the eye when she made the remark.

“I had learned to navigate a lot of her toxic environment,” Macdonald said. “But now she was disrespecting me and my family and my heritage in front of everybody.”

Macdonald has since left the team, as has Taze Thompson, the 2021-22 Ivy League Rookie of the Year, who is descended from the Cree Nation of Alberta, Canada. Sydney Daniels, an assistant coach who had captained the 2016-17 Harvard team and is a member of the Mistawasis Nehiyawak First Nation of Saskatchewan, also abruptly departed before suing Harvard for alleged racial and other forms of discrimination related to Stone and the athletic department. Harvard has until Feb. 8 to respond to the complaint.

more ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:50 pm Philadelphia Flyers’ Bigoted Ivan Provorov cites religion for boycott of team’s Pride night
Defenseman doesn’t take part in pre-game skate on Pride night
Provorov: ‘My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion’

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... hia-flyers

Flyers defenseman Ivan Provorov cited his Russian Orthodox religion as the reason he did not participate in pre-game warmups when the team wore Pride-themed jerseys and used sticks wrapped in rainbow Pride tape.

The 26-year-old Provorov boycotted the pregame skate with his teammates before Tuesday night’s game against Anaheim as the Flyers celebrated their annual Pride night in celebration and support of the LGBTQ+ community. He played nearly 23 minutes in Philadelphia’s 5-2 victory.

“I respect everybody’s choices,” Provorov said after the game. “My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion. That’s all I’m going to say.”

Yandy Diaz was among the Rays players to wear the rainbow logo
‘We don’t want to encourage it’: some Rays players refuse to wear Pride logo

Provorov declined to answer follow-up questions about his decision.

Flyers coach John Tortorella said Provorov “was true to himself and to his religion”.

“It’s one thing I respect about Provy, he’s always true to himself,” Tortorella said.

Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill, leader of Russia’s dominant religious group, sent a strong signal last March justifying his country’s invasion of Ukraine – describing the conflict as part of a struggle against sin and pressure from liberal foreigners to hold “gay parades” as the price of admission to their ranks.

The jerseys and sticks were set to be auctioned off by the Flyers following the game, with proceeds going to the team’s charity and its efforts to grow the game of hockey in diverse communities.

The Flyers also hosted a pregame skate for local LGBTQ+ youth. Flyers players James van Riemsdyk and Scott Laughton have been staunch supporters of the community and launched a program in support of local LGBTQ+ youth in the greater Philadelphia area.

Laughton and van Riemsdyk met after the game with about 50 people in the LGBTQ+ community. Laughton said overall the Flyers had a “great, great night that brings a lot of awareness”.

Laughton said there would be more conversations ahead with Provorov, who moved from Russia to the United States as a teenager. He signed a six-year, $40.5m contract before the 2019 season and won the Barry Ashbee Trophy as the Flyers’ outstanding defenseman in his rookie season, the youngest Philadelphia player to receive the honor.

“I don’t hold anything against anyone,” Laughton said. “It’s nothing like that. It was an awesome night and I’m very happy we got a win on a night like this.”

All-Star forward Kevin Hayes, who had a hat trick in the win over Anaheim, said “it’s not for me to answer” when asked how he felt about Provorov’s decision.

The Wells Fargo Center was decorated Tuesday night in rainbow hues representing the LGBTQ+ community through special pride-themed arena LEDs, décor and rainbow-themed team merchandise.

“The Philadelphia Flyers organization is committed to inclusivity and is proud to support the LGBTQ+ community,” the team said in a statement after the game. “Many of our players are active in their support of local LGBTQ+ organizations, and we were proud to host our annual Pride Night again this year. The Flyers will continue to be strong advocates for inclusivity and the LGBTQ+ community.”

The NHL also champions the You Can Play Project, which aims to ensure equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation. The NHL has never had an openly gay active player.

Shame on the league for allowing this type of open bigotry. When Colin Kaepernick exercised his rights he was blackballed. Why doesn't the league do the same with bigoted Provorov? And where are the holier than thou creeps of the radical far right who claim they never discriminate??
"In keeping with our organization's core values, we support everyone's individual right to respectfully express their beliefs." - (your beloved) NY Rangers

Choosing not to wear a certain jersey or tape your stick w rainbow tape isn't discrimination Brooklyn. It's freedom to choose. And freedom to not have somebody else's beliefs crammed down your throat.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:39 pm

Choosing not to wear a certain jersey or tape your stick w rainbow tape isn't discrimination Brooklyn. It's freedom to choose. And freedom to not have somebody else's beliefs crammed down your throat.

I take it, then, that you agree Colin Kaepernick is a victim of a double standard. Thanks. I appreciate the validation.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:32 pm
Nigel wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:39 pm

I take it, then, that you agree Colin Kaepernick is a victim of a double standard. Thanks. I appreciate the validation.
Uh, no. Kap is a 'victim' of multiple injuries, declining abilities, and a coaching change in SF that felt he wasn't their QB, thus he opted out of his contract. Not being able to land another job, he just became another aging veteran quarterback that apparently wasn't worth the perceived value that he and any interested suitors agreed upon.

On the other hand, Provorov continues to be a highly skilled player on the Flyers active roster. Thus, he's desired by the organization regardless of this overblown distraction.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

All that crap about Kap has been discredited enough times:

In 2016, Kap, Despite playing in under 70 percent of the season's games, he ranked 29th in the NFL in passing yards, and 26th in touchdown passes. That is to say: Despite not playing five games, he still statistically ranked as a top-30 quarterback in the league. Which ... is to say that he was certainly playing at the caliber of an NFL starting quarterback in 2016.

Kaepernick's touchdown total of 16 may have been low, but so was his interception total of four. That 4-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio better than Drew Brees' 2.5-to-1 mark, better than Andrew Luck's 2.4-to-1 mark, better than Philip Rivers' and Eli Manning's 1.6-to-1 marks, and better than Ryan Fitzpatrick's unsightly 0.7-to-1 mark.

The only starting QBs with better TD-to-INT ratios in 2016 were Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Dak Prescott, and Derek Carr.

Kaepernick ranked 24th in yards per attempt and 17th in passer rating, both numbers indicating his play was in line with that of a starting NFL quarterback.

source: CBS sports

Cut the crap about Kap (age 29 at that time) and admit he was blackballed for exercising his constitutionally guaranteed right of free speech.

Provorov is a proven bigot. End of the story.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Blah blah blah Kap. Blah blah blah Kap. Nobody cares about Kap.

RIP Bobby Hull.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

America hating MAGA cultists celebrate what happened to Kap.

And yes, Bobby Hull, RIP

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

hockey fans throw teddy bears onto ice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WPj1uObw7E

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

We just had our annual State of Hockey high school tournament. No surprise that it was as fabulous as ever. Of course, the true highlight is the hair show:

WATCH: Minnesota's 'All Hockey Hair Team' unveiled at state high school tournament
The flows on display were undeniable

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/watc ... ournament/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/ ... r-AA18ojie

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIF.N6Sj8aQ04 ... mgDet&rs=1

May the flow be with you ...

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Speaking of Minnesota hockey, not a good weekend for the UMinn hockey teams. Michigan dumped the men and Wisconsin edged the ladies. Even worse for the ladies, rival Wisconsin went on to win the championship. The UMinn men did secure a #1 seed in the D1 tournament however.

NCAA Men's Hockey Schedule 3/23 - 3/26
All times Eastern

Manchester, New Hampshire, regional
Thursday: Western Michigan vs. Boston University, 2 p.m. (ESPN2); Cornell vs. Denver, 5:30 p.m. (ESPNews)
Saturday: Regional final, 4 p.m. (ESPNU)

Fargo, North Dakota, regional
Thursday: Minnesota State vs. St. Cloud State, 5 p.m. (ESPNU); Canisius vs. Minnesota, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
Saturday: Regional final, 6:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Bridgeport, Connecticut, regional
Friday: Ohio State vs. Harvard, 2 p.m. (ESPNU); Merrimack vs. Quinnipiac, 5:30 p.m. (ESPNews)
Sunday: Regional final, 4 p.m. (ESPN2)

Allentown, Pennsylvania, regional
Friday: Michigan Tech vs. Penn State, 5 p.m. (ESPNU); Colgate vs. Michigan, 8:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
Sunday: Regional final, 6:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

Frozen Four
at Amalie Arena, Tampa, Florida
April 6: National semifinals, 5 and 8:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
April 8: National championship game, 8 p.m. (ESPN2)
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.google.com/search?q=ny+rang ... wr;dt;fp;1;;;

Watched last night's playoff game between the Rangers and Jersey Devils. NJ whipped the Gothamites convincingly because of their stifling defense. Rangers managed only two shots in the third period as Jersey's D was beyond awesome. Kinda reminded me of Montreal's D in the '72 series vs the Blackhawks in which the Hawks just couldn't get a decent shot off, especially late in the game. You know what they say --- you win games on offense, but you win Championships on defense. What a masterful job of defending those Hellions did!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Happy 90th birthday to legendary John Mayasich:

John Edward Mayasich (Croatian: Meašić; born May 22, 1933) is an American former ice hockey player of Croatian descent. He was a member of the U.S. ice hockey team that won a silver medal at the 1956 Winter Olympics and a gold medal at the 1960 Winter Olympics.

https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/hocke ... -birthday/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eu7t49-WYAQp1PE.jpg

From Eveleth in Lake Wobegone. Greatest amateur hockey player of all time.

https://cdn.forumcomm.com/dims4/default ... 650303.jpg

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sport ... basketball

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Multiple kudos to Vegas Golden Knights:

https://www.google.com/search?q=NHL+Sta ... shm=eepe/1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXCg_Cl ... ure=onebox

Florida seems to always finish out with second best.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hershey Bears, in OT of Game 7, win the Calder Cup!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1671752032041197568
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The New York Islanders put forth their best showing of the preseason as they defeated the New York Rangers 5-3 at UBS Arena on Saturday night.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/new-york- ... lutterbuck

During the broadcast Butch Goring was asked about the old days with all the fights and arguments with the officials. Turns out he defends the refs and said they always do a marvelous job. Can't say I always agree but ...

The weather here in Lake WOE(oh WOE)begone has been so hot and stifling that people are practically begging for winter to begin. I was at a youth football game where some of the kids just wilted in that awful heat. People drank massive amounts of water and soda (which is called "pop" in this area) to stay cool. As for me, I sat in the shade as that heat was unbearable. I guess that's what got me thinking of hockey at this time.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Yaaaaaaaaay!!! I finally get a chance to see the Rangers win!

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/17 ... gr%5Etweet
https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/17 ... gr%5Etweet

3-2 OT victory.

Referees made a couple of crappy calls and appeared intent on giving away the game to Winny Jets. Thankfully, justice prevailed and the Broadway Blues won.

NYR won five straight on this road trip. Frankly, I don't recall seeing them do that before. Hopefully, this is the start of a Stanley Cup year for them.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Went to a youth club level hockey game (bantams). Nothing much else going on in this neck of the woods but am glad to say we had a good time as our club won.

Afterwards, was inspired to watch some old school hockey video on you tube:

Tie Domi ~ one of my faves. Always gave 100% every night. Can't ask for more.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Hold that Tiger!

For all the controversy that surrounded him, Tiger was a very skillful player. Highly competitive and a genuine winner.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”