Navy 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Navy 2024

Post by gymman1031 »

The first 2024 program-thread made is regarding Loyola. So, let's keep the pattern going by making one for fellow Patriot League and Maryland program, Navy.

Coach Joe Amplo has done some fine recruiting. And, next year, due to him being in his fifth season overall, and third season with a full schedule(2020 and 2021 were shortened), even more of the talent will be his. OC Mike Phipps will be in his second season, so his system will be more in-place. While I would love to see more, let's see if Navy can at least do the following in 2024, which would both be for the first time under Amplo:

1. finish with a double-digit number of wins
2. either by a Quarterfinal victory or top two regular season finish and bye, appear in the Patriot League Tournament Semifinals
lorin

Re: Navy 2024

Post by lorin »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:49 pm The first 2024 program-thread made is regarding Loyola. So, let's keep the pattern going by making one for fellow Patriot League and Maryland program, Navy.

Coach Joe Amplo has done some fine recruiting. And, next year, due to him being in his fifth season overall, and third season with a full schedule(2020 and 2021 were shortened), even more of the talent will be his. OC Mike Phipps will be in his second season, so his system will be more in-place. While I would love to see more, let's see if Navy can at least do the following in 2024, which would both be for the first time under Amplo:

2. either by a Quarterfinal victory or top two regular season finish and bye, appear in the Patriot League Tournament Semifinals
I would worry about beating HC first
old salt

Post by old salt »

Navy's 2024 squad will be senior heavy, especially on offense, where consistency & improvement is needed most.

I hope some incoming plebes can contribute immediately, as 9 plebes did this year. (1,4,9,32,37,42,45,51,67)

I'm interested to see how many 5th yr players return to Loyola, Lehigh, BU, to join Army's 5th yr leading scorers, in this final covid bonus season.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Will Xavier Arline be back?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:59 pm Will Xavier Arline be back?
If he survives FB season without serious or lingering injuries, I predict yes.

Right now he's tied with classmate Tai Lavati (still rehabbing from ACL surgery) at #3-#4 on the QB depth chart,
both behind 2 rising sophs who took all the QB snaps in spring practice, as a new HC & OC installed a new run-pass shotgun option offense.

The "buzz" from the hometown Navy sports beat writer, via the Sing Second podcast, is that @ now, rising soph Teddy Gleaton is the likely starting QB vs ND in Dublin on Aug 26. Although the new HC stressed that the entire depth chart is still very squishy at this point.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:44 am The "buzz" from the hometown Navy sports beat writer, via the Sing Second podcast, is that @ now, rising soph Teddy Gleaton is the likely starting QB vs ND in Dublin on Aug 26. Although the new HC stressed that the entire depth chart is still very squishy at this point.
A local, and a qb with height and size, that can also pass rather well.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

lorin wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:28 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:49 pm The first 2024 program-thread made is regarding Loyola. So, let's keep the pattern going by making one for fellow Patriot League and Maryland program, Navy.

LOL! You really think they are going to be that much better next year?
lorin

Post by lorin »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:34 pm

All good just having a little fun
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

lorin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:19 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:34 pm

All good just having a little fun
Haha! No worries. As long as it isn't against Navy, I definitely am hoping JL and Holy Cross win multiple games next year.
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:51 am
old salt wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:44 am The "buzz" from the hometown Navy sports beat writer, via the Sing Second podcast, is that @ now, rising soph Teddy Gleaton is the likely starting QB vs ND in Dublin on Aug 26. Although the new HC stressed that the entire depth chart is still very squishy at this point.
A local, and a qb with height and size, that can also pass rather well.
This will be a great SoMd story if he makes it.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Xavier Arline FB update

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

Freshman quarterback Teddy Gleaton is the early favorite to start against Notre Dame.

There is an old football cliche that the best ability is availability. Gleaton and his fellow plebes proved that this spring by taking all the live practice repetitions.

Gleaton was the leader of the group from start to finish and it was no surprise that he emerged atop the depth chart at quarterback. The North Point High graduate impressed the coaching staff with his strong, accurate arm and powerful running style. Newberry acknowledged the Waldorf resident must improve his decision-making, but said that will come with experience.

Newberry estimated that Gleaton got more than 300 11-on-11 repetitions and noted he needed them all.

“Teddy is really talented and made a lot of progress. I thought he really flashed during the spring,” Newberry said. “I’m really pleased with some of the things I saw him do. I’m excited about Teddy and his future.”

Chesnut’s determination to develop an effective passing attack plays to the strengths of Gleaton, who looked quite comfortable operating out of the shotgun formation and made quick decisions on where to go with the ball during scrimmage situations. Moving forward, Navy wants quarterbacks who can throw the ball as well as they run it and Newberry said Gleaton “fits that mold exactly.”

“Teddy has a great arm and can make all the throws we need. He allows us to do a lot of things offensively that we would like to be able to do,” Newberry said. “You’re talking about a quarterback who can make every throw that a traditional quarterback can make. When you add the athletic ability to the equation, it really allows us some flexibility on how we can expand and evolve the offense.”

Tai Lavatai and Xavier Arline, both of whom will be seniors, fell behind the freshman as far as learning and operating the revamped offense Chesnut installed. Lavatai sat out spring camp while recovering from knee surgery performed shortly after he went down against Temple on Oct. 29. Arline was limited to position drills as he got injured while playing lacrosse.

Newberry said Lavatai is ahead of schedule with his recovery and was able to do some throwing and work on option mechanics toward the end of spring camp. Lavatai, who has 18 career starts, is expected to be full-go when training camp begins in late July.

Arline, who has made 11 career starts and directed the offense in two Army-Navy games, is also eager to challenge Gleaton.

“We’re going to have a good battle at quarterback with two guys who have a lot of experience and won games coming back,” Newberry said. “I don’t know that we’ve had this kind of depth at quarterback since I’ve been here. It’s still wide-open and I’m looking forward to that competition.”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Reason to be excited....an actual Navy sports team planning to change 'the way we always have done it'. And I could care less if they only go .500, at least they have vision to recognize what they need to change to 'really' compete.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Nothing will change in 2024 – Unless:

1. Amplo changes this belief/statement- that going to a Service Academy = attending College/University life. That there is no difference between the two and that attending the Naval Academy –“isn’t all that special.” (He is clearly delusional)
2. Amplo should stop telling players- You don’t deserve to wear the Navy Service uniform
3. Stops allowing players parents in your personal box at Navy-Marine Corp Stadium during games
4. Amplo is fully committed to trusting his Assistants, clearly this isn’t happening
5. Amplo reduces the used car salesman speech when begging for donations
6. Actually, rides the bus with his team
7. Invest in long term development of all players (Study Coach Al)
8. Amplo wins the trust of the team, he clearly doesn’t have it
9. Stop playing “hero” ball
10. Includes all members of the Navy Lacrosse Team to participate/contribute during each practice. It’s my understanding, that a good majority of the team (outside limited starters) didn’t know the plays, practices were often chaotic due to lack of instruction, outside of the “starters” nobody was allowed to get “REPS” during offensive/defensive sessions, that the man-up lacked structure or strategy and that players had no idea of where they stood with their positional coach or the Head Coach.
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

Sounds to me like Fanlax Forum and the Navy thread are entering Sowell like scenarios......
DongDenMt

Post by DongDenMt »

I can’t speak for the whole Navy team like some do. But I can speak for one recruited by Joe.

He was never told he was going to a regular college. Joe like every other SA coach I have dealt with in recruiting of kids in the family or my players is very upfront that this is not a regular college.

But like every other SA coach I have dealt with they do not over emphasis the military part , they don’t over explain how miserable it might be , but they all do try to explain how much fun you will have if you attend :-)

That’s only 3 different SAs and only 5 different sports teams but in this small sample Joe is just like the rest,

As far as academic support that has been much greater and more constant than we ever dreamed. Absolutely nothing like mine that went thru some years ago. They get nothing but 5***** for academic support

In practice there are those that are going to or might play on one side working together and those that will not play somewhere else.

There has been and can be movement from won’t play to might play group but that is earned not given.

I have one who has been singled out in film review. He took that like a future officer and did not whine or complain to parents. He also knew those were mistake he had made And knew going in he was going to be ripped. He also understands theater.

He loves playing for Joe.

As far as fund raising , nearly 25 million dollars for USNA LAX so far, is one heck of a used car salesperson.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DongDenMt wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:42 pm I can’t speak for the whole Navy team like some do. But I can speak for one recruited by Joe.

He was never told he was going to a regular college. Joe like every other SA coach I have dealt with in recruiting of kids in the family or my players is very upfront that this is not a regular college.

But like every other SA coach I have dealt with they do not over emphasis the military part , they don’t over explain how miserable it might be , but they all do try to explain how much fun you will have if you attend :-)

That’s only 3 different SAs and only 5 different sports teams but in this small sample Joe is just like the rest,

As far as academic support that has been much greater and more constant than we ever dreamed. Absolutely nothing like mine that went thru some years ago. They get nothing but 5***** for academic support

In practice there are those that are going to or might play on one side working together and those that will not play somewhere else.

There has been and can be movement from won’t play to might play group but that is earned not given.

I have one who has been singled out in film review. He took that like a future officer and did not whine or complain to parents. He also knew those were mistake he had made And knew going in he was going to be ripped. He also understands theater.

He loves playing for Joe.

As far as fund raising , nearly 25 million dollars for USNA LAX so far, is one heck of a used car salesperson.
Amplo has raised $25mm in donations dedicated to men’s lacrosse since showing up? That seems high, like $5-$7mm/yr, is basically a full time job.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
old salt

Post by old salt »

Pent up giving. The power of candid outreach to alums & weekly email updates.

Stresses the USNA mission & the limitations & sacrifices it brings for the players.
DongDenMt

Post by DongDenMt »

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... enter.aspx

Yes nearly 25 million. Granted this was mainly from one 22 million dollar donation. And that resulted from Joe and his relationship with one particular donor.

It could be more than 25 million by now but I know for sure it’s at least 22 million,
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

My biggest wish is that Navy does well enough in 2024 for the negative posts regarding Amplo and the current state of the program to be from slim to none.
DongDenMt

Post by DongDenMt »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:50 am My biggest wish is that Navy does well enough in 2024 for the negative posts regarding Amplo and the current state of the program to be from slim to none.

My biggest wish is that Joe is there at least as long as mine is.

Looking at the next two years worth of commits it looks like at least 9- 10 four star recruits and a small handful of 3 star plus a list of no stars attached each year. So it looks like the pipeline is healthy.

Unfortunately the list at USMA looks very similar.

I do wonder if any of those Joe must go posts are from the one spying on practice that was physically chased away from practice by one of the lax trainers?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”