2024 Fantasy Lacrosse Draft

D1 Mens Fantasy Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: 2024 Fantasy Lacrosse Draft

Post by Matnum PI »

Post by ohmilax34 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:15 pm
But really the teams that got Millon, Kabiri and Duffy had the best drafts.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:15 pm But really the teams that got Millon, Kabiri and Duffy had the best drafts.
The upside of drafting early
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:06 pm 2024 Fantasy Lacrosse Draft Review

As I was thinking about the draft recently when we were getting into the 7th and 8th round I thought that those who've historically struggled should make an effort to only draft 4 players and 1 defense, so that they're forcing themselves to put more thought into their roster construction, instead of just throwing darts. But, drafting is fun. I came into this draft thinking I'd only draft 3 players and 1 defense, but once my 5th and 6th round picks came up, I decided to drop players I had last year and roll the dice with two new guys. This draft has been fun. The addition of FFG and fam has been a boost for the conviviality of this forum and I'm optimistic about some of the other additions. I want to keep this review fun. I don't want to go too hard on anyone, and even if I thought Matt had a horrible draft, I wouldn't actually let him know that.

Last year we could really building up our rosters with the addition of Brown, Villanova and Harvard, but it seems like the freshman class was a little weak. I like this year's freshman class. We'll see how they do in college with 5th years still hanging around. I think drafting established players instead of freshman might be in vogue right now. It's always been a good strategy, but it feels like more coaches are filling their fantasy rosters with guys with 1 or 2 years of eligibility left, just like our NCAA counterparts. Does that mean you get better value when drafting a freshman since there are more available? Are Ivy teams getting better freshman classes now because they don't have as many 5th years? I like the freshman classes of Yale, Cornell, Penn, Harvard and Princeton, so maybe!

Best Drafts

Genghiskhanbluejay
Genghis has zero Johns Hopkins players on his roster, but he got the JHU D in the third round. His roster looks good, and built for future success, but without a lot of BIG point getters, except Genghis got Owen Duffy, probably the most talented and most sure-thing in this draft at #6 overall. This isn't really a shot at the other picks, because (with the exception of Avery) they made enough sense. Duffy will get points this year and in the following 3 years. Speidell (Duffy's HS teammate) is a talented inside scorer, so I like that pick in the 2nd round. Horning in the 4th is fine. Genghis declined to draft after the 4th round. That usually means his roster was in pretty good shape already. He's probably hoping for a points bump this year from a few players, but he has a couple years to get those bumps.

Matnum PI
While I think passing on Duffy was a mistake, and his draft isn't knocking my socks off, I admire the construction of Matt's roster and I want to give credit to those who have drafted so well in prior years that they don't need to be great every draft. Matt has a mix of all classes, with players who at their best can put up a lot of points. I think Matt has had bad luck with injuries to Evan James and Michael Long. I think Schrier, Peterson and Gravino are all good later round picks. Peterson in particular was an exciting HS player. He has a lot of U. of Maryland players that he can root for now.

Greenielax
I seem to mention Greenie every year. At first I thought I was going to have negative comments for Greenie, but then I saw the method to the madness. Greenie's used to winning, and after a couple lean year's it looks like Greenie will be winning more this season. Boyden will get points, but only for one season. I think Kabiri and Duffy would've been better picks. Denver's D should be very good this season. Getting Caputo, Krevsky and Webber helps right away and in future years, so those are really good picks. I wanted Krevsky and would've drafted him in the 5th round for sure if he was available.

Other Notable Drafts
NC Lax
NC drafted 3 Canadians: Firth, Malawsky and D.J. Clark. I had my eye on Firth and Clark. Malawsky comes from good bloodlines, but I couldn't really find film of him doing much. After NC's pick I saw the article about him impressing the Denver staff, so that pick might work out great. Kenan Everhart looks like a good 5th round pick. Firth at #11 overall seems like a bit of a steal.

NJLaxx11
I love the players NJ drafted, but I'm not sure they fill this team's needs. I'm not sure where the attack points are going to come from this season, and the draft didn't address that. McLane is listed as A/M on ND's roster, and ND brings back their starting attack, although it sounds like P Kav is still recovering from an injury, so maybe there's time at attack for McLane then. Maybe Leo Hoffman plays attack, but we're not sure. Cole Cashion was a great pick, but he's a midfielder. Aimone was a great pick, but he's a midfielder now it seems. Ryan Goldstein was a great pick and an attackman. I think if he was 175 pounds he'd have been drafted in the first round. I think there's a good chance he's getting a lot of playing time in 2025.

Keoni007
Keoni's roster is sneaky good. Adding Nickolic in the 2nd round and Sidorski in the 4th round is sneaky good.

UK Lax
UK's roster is good, and he's hoping to make a deep playoff run this season in Brandau's last year. He drafted Army's D in the 2nd round, because drafting a D in the late 3rd round would've made it hard to get a good one. Getting Traynor in the 1st round is classic UK outsmarting us. However, I think the midfield picks in rounds 3 and 4 are questionable. UK went with a freshman and a sophomore with a bit of a track record. But, he could've gotten Zach Whittier who has a better track record than Dunphey and he could've gotten Cole Cashion who was mentioned this fall by IL and praised by Andy Shay. I think Shuey Kelly and Gannon Matthews are good late round picks.

ohmilax34
I've drafted 3 players in the last 2 draft from Noble & Greenough who've won the last 2 ISL championships. Certainly one of them has to turn out to be good, right?

The lefty attackman conundrum
It feels like it used to be that a team would get a skilled lefty attackman, sometimes a Canadian, and his NCAA coach could plug him into the lineup right away and he would produce. I'm thinking Zach Greer, Kevin Huntley, Brian Nee, Ben Rubeor, Sean Hartofilis. Now it feels like everyone has 3+ lefty attackmen and fitting them on the field is challenging, because generally they like playing in the same part of the field. Denver has Connell, Sillstrop and Malawsky (at least). Duke has Williams, O'Neill and Balsamo. Balsamo seems like the most versatile. Syracuse has Hiltz, Deere, Mule. Cornell has Kirst and Firth. Navy has a few, Princeton has a few, Virginia has a couple, etc. These are all talented players, but do the limitations of their High School / Club teams, that probably have only one elite lefty attackman, force the attackman to play in a specific and limited role that reduces their adaptability to other roles? Certainly we've seen versatile lefty attackmen, but they seem rare.

Individuals I enjoyed watching
I try to watch a fair amount of HS lacrosse and highlights of players eligible to be drafted. It's fun and it helps me make my draft board and prepare me for the draft. These are guys I really enjoyed watching.
1.3 girlsdoitbetter Nate Kabiri FR A Princeton - I was late to getting to Kabiri, and he immediately jumped off the screen
1.12 FCALax Trey Deere FR A Syracuse - He plays with style and grit. I really hope he gets to play at SU.
2.15 GenghiskhanBluejay Jack Speidell FR A Harvard - I love watching slick inside attackmen. Speidell is one of them.
3,10 NJLaxx11 Ryan Goldstein FR A Cornell - It's nice to see legacies do well.
3.19 Typical Lax Dad Charles Kurtz FR A UMass - Kurtz is big and scores a lot. I was surprised when I was watching him that he was committed to UMass, because he seems like a great prospect, but they have good players, so I shouldn't be too surprised.
4.11 NJLaxx11 Cole Cashion FR M Yale - Sometimes when I watch HS players, they don't carry the ball much for their team, and I'm shocked when I watch like, "Why isn't this #20 overall rated player carrying the ball for the majority of their HS team's possession? Cashion didn't carry the ball for the majority of RFH's possessions, but it seemed like the majority of possessions were designed for him to make a play, which is a big burden.
4.15 Matnum PI Jack Petersen FR M Harvard - Athletic playmaker that I could see filling a number of roles.
8.4 Maddog Mark Marino FR M Princeton - He stuck out last year when I watch Don Bosco to see Koleton Marquis.
Cole Cashion and Whittier were avoid on purpose because I already had middies for those teams in Kuhl and Spanos and I don’t like overloading on same teams midfielders because if that team has tough fixture you’re really setting yourself up for a lose with over reliance. But I do understand they may be slightly better options based on last year/current info so a very fair comment based on talent.
For me Dunphey made more sense than Whittier solely based on the above and he’s already had some assist from Kabiri so could get a good partnership going over next few years as a middle scorer.. the freshman, not gunna lie the main reason is I love Charlie Iler’s YouTube tapes (and tbh sometimes you just pick a player solely on their style), he’s fast and tricky and put up a goal in fall ball so at least gets a go.. he will get small reps this year at best but I don’t need him now and hopefully see the field more as time goes on because he just finds a way to score.

Love these reviews.. all very fair, very well thought out based on the entire draft and picks people missed etc.. and I like the lack on negativity! Best ones yet!

Merry Xmas to all coaches and looking forward to destroying all your teams in the new year!
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:15 pm But really the teams that got Millon, Kabiri and Duffy had the best drafts.
This looks very true, 3 truly obvious players who are clearly going to quarterback their teams
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

Side note: I Just watched JHU vs Richmond fall ball on YouTube over morning coffee (simply came up in my suggestions) and as someone who is not a fan of JHU (my fave two teams are Maryland and Gtown), I was very very impressed…defence looks very strong with the starters at least, the whole teams looks big and athletic.. Melendez and Degnon look dialed in, Hunter Cheavute looks lethal and the three of them on man up, converted most of the time! Jimmy Ayers caught the eye also but slightly less so than the above. But he will play all season.

PA got himself a top player, with a big cannon shot.. I’m gunna say it now, if he stays in midfield, he will put up Matt Campbell numbers by senior.. I think he’d benefit by not being move to attack due to his big shot.
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Princeton loaded draft class showed up huge in the fantasy draft. I'd love to hear TLDs assessment on the players
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Il announced Princeton as # 1 just as the draft was starting.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:25 pm
Higher risk reward given snake style puts you late in Rd2, if you don’t nail that too 5 pick then it will impact four years because he’s still
Good enough to carry on roster but not driving wins.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Review of Ohmi's draft

So we liked the cat quick Moynihan for a second round pick after Chauvette but you snagged him.

McClements was a bit of a reach but is a talented player.
Whittier was good value were you picked him.
Syracuse D .... yuck

Nice draft but for ... yuck

20 1,20 ohmilax34 Peter Moynihan FR A Yale
21 2.1 ohmilax34 Grayson McClements FR A UPenn
60 3,20 ohmilax34 Zach Whittier SO M UMD
61 4.1 ohmilax34 Syracuse D
95 5.16 ohmilax34 Bailey O'Connor SR M Army
96 6.1 ohmilax34 Brody Upton FR M
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:44 am
OCanada wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:25 pm
Higher risk reward given snake style puts you late in Rd2, if you don’t nail that too 5 pick then it will impact four years because he’s still
Good enough to carry on roster but not driving wins.
The depth of AA caliber players at the top and the quality depth are also factors.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

OCanada wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:00 am Il announced Princeton as # 1 just as the draft was starting.
A lot of players in that class. Kabiri is a no brainer. Tucker Wade is a bit of a wild card. Completely off the radar last year taking a gap year. The type of athlete that’s needed in the middle of the field. Like Benn Johnston that I selected, could see some two way middie duty early. Kind of depends on how Fischer and Mueller do. I believe Mueller will be first freshman up for SSDM duty and that will get Wade more offensive shifts early. I love Mueller. An athlete that’s going to get better and better. He doesn’t have a lot of lacrosse miles on him which I like. Colin Burns will get an early nod but if he doesn’t get out the gate quickly, I can see Saris sliding back down there. Palumbo and Carson Krammer got looks early but didn’t make that freshman leap. They should be in the mix this year. I am banking on Stanat holding that lefty midfield spot but we will see. Mackesy, Kabiri, Saris and Cameron are pretty much set. Two spots up for grabs in that first 6. Upton could be a man up guy as could Burns in he isn’t starting.

The lineups you see in the Spring won’t be what you see in the fall. Never is. Someone always emerges. My dark horse players are Todd and Marino.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I created the 2024 Fantasy Page. Not very interesting yet. Once I post the Fantasy Schedule, the NCAA Games that Count and the season starts, it'll be substantially more interesting.
Caddy Day
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Thanks to UK for the thoughtful response and PA for the evaluation of my draft. We will see with the Syracuse D. Past performance is not indicative…
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ohmilax34 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:07 pm Past performance is not indicative…
Caddy Day
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:40 pm
OCanada wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:00 am Il announced Princeton as # 1 just as the draft was starting.
A lot of players in that class. Kabiri is a no brainer. Tucker Wade is a bit of a wild card. Completely off the radar last year taking a gap year. The type of athlete that’s needed in the middle of the field. Like Benn Johnston that I selected, could see some two way middie duty early. Kind of depends on how Fischer and Mueller do. I believe Mueller will be first freshman up for SSDM duty and that will get Wade more offensive shifts early. I love Mueller. An athlete that’s going to get better and better. He doesn’t have a lot of lacrosse miles on him which I like. Colin Burns will get an early nod but if he doesn’t get out the gate quickly, I can see Saris sliding back down there. Palumbo and Carson Krammer got looks early but didn’t make that freshman leap. They should be in the mix this year. I am banking on Stanat holding that lefty midfield spot but we will see. Mackesy, Kabiri, Saris and Cameron are pretty much set. Two spots up for grabs in that first 6. Upton could be a man up guy as could Burns in he isn’t starting.

The lineups you see in the Spring won’t be what you see in the fall. Never is. Someone always emerges. My dark horse players are Todd and Marino.
I think you took the wrong view. I think the timing of the release was one reason so many went so early. Wasnlt referencing anything else
Typical Lax Dad

OCanada wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:20 pm

I think you took the wrong view. I think the timing of the release was one reason so many went so early. Wasnlt referencing anything else
My fault. I meant to reply to PA. He was wondering what I thought about Tiger class.
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:26 pm

My fault. I meant to reply to PA. He was wondering what I thought about Tiger class.
Thanks TLD for the review. Lots of potential added to fantasy rosters with this class.

Interesting how Wade followed the same path as his AA dad with a gap year down under.
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Uklax wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:35 am Side note: I Just watched JHU vs Richmond fall ball on YouTube over morning coffee (simply came up in my suggestions) and as someone who is not a fan of JHU (my fave two teams are Maryland and Gtown), I was very very impressed…defence looks very strong with the starters at least, the whole teams looks big and athletic.. Melendez and Degnon look dialed in, Hunter Cheavute looks lethal and the three of them on man up, converted most of the time! Jimmy Ayers caught the eye also but slightly less so than the above. But he will play all season.

PA got himself a top player, with a big cannon shot.. I’m gunna say it now, if he stays in midfield, he will put up Matt Campbell numbers by senior.. I think he’d benefit by not being move to attack due to his big shot.
We can only hope! Others have compared Hunter to Mac O'Keefe so A or M, we'll take either ... 😆
Typical Lax Dad

PATalk wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:08 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:26 pm

Thanks TLD for the review. Lots of potential added to fantasy rosters with this class.

Interesting how Wade followed the same path as his AA dad with a gap year down under.
Yep. I was told he was going to take it. It didn’t get much coverage in the “national” media. It will be interesting to see where all the pieces land. I figured Stanat would move to midfield to make room for Kabiri. I figured attack would be Saris, Kabiri and Mackesy. In the fall it was Burns and Saris was in the midfield. Time will tell. I have never seen a Spring that looked like the Fall. Players create opportunities for themselves. I am curious to see how Palumbo and Carson Krammer do this season. Got time early last season. A lot of competition on that team.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So we’re saying a girl walked into this league and took all our lunches on the draft if I have that right? My son will not allow my daughter to believe this could ever be true!
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS FANTASY LACROSSE”