Children's Books

General Chatter
ohmilax34

Children's Books

Post by ohmilax34 »

My four year old son loves books. We read books to him all the time. He and I recently picked up Hilda and the Troll by Luke Pearson. It's a children's graphic novel about a little girl living with her mom in a Scandinavian wilderness with trolls, giants, other monsters. I guess it's inspired by Scandinavian folklore. Elves show up in the next story.

He loves it. We got in on Saturday and have read it probably six times in six days plus others have read it to him.

Any recommendations of books from reading with your kids?
dislaxxic

Re: Children's Books

Post by dislaxxic »

This one fascinated me AND both my children...course it's been many moons since i actually had the book...or had a kiddle to read it with...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

How I envy you the journey you and that Kid are going to take together. So just a few, and most of these are still of few years away fro your Four-year-old:

The Little House books, by Laura Ingalls Wilder; they are beautiful books about the rigor and beauty of frontier and family life. These get allocated to the "girls' books" section, and that is nonsense. "Farmer Boy," the story that introduces the Wilder boys, Almanzo and Royal, takes place in NY State I think, and lays out all of the hardship and work of the day.

The Narnia Chronicles, by C.S. Lewis. Magic and oh-so-beautifully written. Yes, there is religion not to far under the surface here. But the stories of the Pevensey kids' trips into the world in the wardrobe are extraordinary.

The Edward Eager "Half Magic" series: https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Magic-Boxe ... 054467166X

The Harry Potter Books by J.K. Rowling. There is a reason that these seven extraordinary tales made Rowling one of the wealthiest people on earth. Good characters, great story-lines, good and evil, and a remarkable imagination that created a literal world of its own.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Awesome. I will check these out. We have Scuffy and have read it a few times. I will get it out again. The Half Magic series looks neat.

I was never much of a reader, so it's been a lot of fun for me to experience all of the books we've read, including the ones we read over and over and over.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

A fun series authored by Deborah Diesen.
PPF.jpg
PPF.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
Can't believe I missed this one.

How to Babysit a Grandpa -Jean Reagan
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

This will thrill any kid.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
LaxDog

Post by LaxDog »

I always reading this one to the kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkRtyXq-fg
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

LaxDog wrote:I always reading this one to the kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkRtyXq-fg
+1...a classic.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I enjoyed reading this book to my daughter and she enjoyed me reading it to her. I am going to gift it to my neighbor with three small kids.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Anything by a.a. Milne.

Obviously the Winnie the Pooh stuff is classic, but so too is his book of poems "When We Were Very Young". I loved the stories as a kid. But was blown away by the quality of his writing as a dad.

Fantastic bedtime reading....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”