Boston College @ Syracuse -- 7:00 4-20-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Boston College @ Syracuse -- 7:00 4-20-2023

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Giving this one its own thread for discussion. Close call, and could see this going either way. I think BC has improved and settled in a bit since the drubbing by UNC in early March. But I'll jinx things and say Syracuse wins 15-14 in regulation.
GratefulRed

Re: Boston College @ Syracuse -- 7:00 4-20-2023

Post by GratefulRed »

Seacoaster sums it up nicely on the BC thread. Almost too close to call. Many stats favor SU, but I think (hope) the individual matchups will allow BC defense to get enough stops. Draw/Middie tenacity and depth create a slight advantage for the Eags in transition and possessions. BC offense stays hot and puts up another big number—just enough to spoil the Orange perfect season on the road.

Can’t help but wonder if moving the game out of the Dome dilutes the home-field advantage? I hear that the (grass) soccer field is in great shape. Showers overnight/morning giving way to a calm evening for lax, upper 50s.

With a game so close on paper, it usually comes down to who wants it more—and maybe who gets a little puck luck. I love the fact that this BC group has been through this time and time again. However, this is a rejuvenated SU program that has (almost) completed a gauntlet of a schedule and made it look relatively easy.

Can’t wait…
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

GratefulRed wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 am Seacoaster sums it up nicely on the BC thread. Almost too close to call. Many stats favor SU, but I think (hope) the individual matchups will allow BC defense to get enough stops. Draw/Middie tenacity and depth create a slight advantage for the Eags in transition and possessions. BC offense stays hot and puts up another big number—just enough to spoil the Orange perfect season on the road.

Can’t help but wonder if moving the game out of the Dome dilutes the home-field advantage? I hear that the (grass) soccer field is in great shape. Showers overnight/morning giving way to a calm evening for lax, upper 50s.

With a game so close on paper, it usually comes down to who wants it more—and maybe who gets a little puck luck. I love the fact that this BC group has been through this time and time again. However, this is a rejuvenated SU program that has (almost) completed a gauntlet of a schedule and made it look relatively easy.

Can’t wait…
You know, you make a good point about the "been there, done that" perspective that BC can bring to almost any game with the current roster. This reminds me of, I think, the Maryland game in the semis last year, when AWW called her last time out with around 7:30 or so to go in the game. I remember thinking, "Holy smokes, you gotta have confidence in the kids to blow the last time out that early and commit them to playing out the game,"...which they won in the last seconds. Hard to quantify, but an advantage for sure.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

GratefulRed wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 am Seacoaster sums it up nicely on the BC thread. Almost too close to call. Many stats favor SU, but I think (hope) the individual matchups will allow BC defense to get enough stops. Draw/Middie tenacity and depth create a slight advantage for the Eags in transition and possessions. BC offense stays hot and puts up another big number—just enough to spoil the Orange perfect season on the road.

Can’t wait…
I’m sure Cuse is practicing all week on grass field but is BC? FB stadium is turf . Is the old lax stadium turf too. I hope Acacia has been playing on grass all week or that will be in Cuse’s favor.

Also ACC tourney starting next week where they will meet again most likely - all on grass
Last edited by Laxfan500 on Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Gonna take Cuse in this one...but only cause I flipped a coin.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Having seen both teams in person I think cuse wins this game in a very close game. I actually think bc matches up better with cuse than with unc for example because cuse plays a zone. Bc is not an elite 1 v 1 team this year without CN but they are an even better inside cutting team with medjid and smith and Martello working together.
But bc plays man defense and i think cuse will score 15-16 goals which should be enough to win.
Should be fun!! And I don’t think we’ll see a rematch in the acc tourney because I think cuse wins today and then unc beats bc again in the 2 v 3 matchup!!!!
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Sorry. And McKenna Davis great feeder as well!!
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:45 am

Can’t wait…
I’m sure Cuse is practicing all week on grass field but is BC? FB stadium is turf . Is the old lax stadium turf too. I hope Acacia has been playing on grass all week or that will be in Cuse’s favor.

Also ACC tourney starting next week where they will meet again most likely - all on grass
I believe Memorial Stadium in Charlotte, where the Quarters, Semis and Finals are being played, is artificial turf.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

cltlax wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:58 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:45 am

Can’t wait…

I believe Memorial Stadium in Charlotte, where the Quarters, Semis and Finals are being played, is artificial turf.
My bad I was thinking of Cary, NC where NCAAs are for some reason
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

I can confirm that BC bused to grass fields for practice. Sun is out Upstate--nice day. Hard to get any work done (clearly).

I agree, Womenslaxxfan, that it may take 16 to win. Less inclined to agree with your ACC seeding predictions :D
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

What's the overall scouting report on BC? They look pretty scary on paper especially considering everyone's saying they've overcome their early season issues.

Everyone knows what Syracuse's (relative) weakness is (draw controls)... does BC have one?

Should be a great game but if SU can win around 50% of draw controls they should take it
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

16-11 Cuse
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

thedisciple516 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:48 pm What's the overall scouting report on BC? They look pretty scary on paper especially considering everyone's saying they've overcome their early season issues.

Everyone knows what Syracuse's (relative) weakness is (draw controls)... does BC have one?

Should be a great game but if SU can win around 50% of draw controls they should take it
I'm not saying that...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

So far it looks like cuse is the better team 4-1

Oops 5-1
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

BC’s battled back, looks to be a great finish!
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

BCGold wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:12 pm BC’s battled back, looks to be a great finish!
For the record I called it BC by 1 :)
wow Cuse let them back in this.....
crazy
Cuse article out today didnt age too well.
Just stunned they let a six goal lead slip away/
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Wow. What a game. Biggest comeback in a high profile matchup since UNC closed a 7-goal gap against NU in the NCAA semis last year. Eagles looked remarkably composed in the second half despite trailing by a lot.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Great game. Wouldn't bet against either team making the final four.

Clearly not Schweitzer's finest performance. I'm not going to slate her for one bad half, but her position on 3 of the last 4 goals was poor. I'm sure Treanor considered pulling her. Hopefully, she regroups for the ACC tourney.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Great no-call on Roman's check at the goal circle with 3:40 to go. Even though I was in this for Syracuse, it is good to see the officials reward good, controlled defensive work.

Thought Syracuse needed more tempo to perform at the level needed to close the game out. There is a balance between clock killing/management and keeping the team in flow; hard to find, and I think Syracuse lost that balance. Congrats to BC, rounding into form.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:38 am Great no-call on Roman's check at the goal circle with 3:40 to go. Even though I was in this for Syracuse, it is good to see the officials reward good, controlled defensive work.

Thought Syracuse needed more tempo to perform at the level needed to close the game out. There is a balance between clock killing/management and keeping the team in flow; hard to find, and I think Syracuse lost that balance. Congrats to BC, rounding into form.
https://www.syracuse.com/orangewomen/20 ... arter.html

Thoughts was it a non-call or BS

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”