BOOKS

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: BOOKS

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:42 pm Just opened up: Lincoln's Battle with God : A President's Struggle with Faith and What It Meant for America
by Stephen Mansfield

Over the years I have read many books about Honest Abe and will put that on my to do list.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Rally Round the Flag, Boys!

by Max Shulman

Corporal Dalrymple:

Advice to the men before major social combat.

"Hear me good. Put on your newest, spankin'est uniform, shine shoes and buttons, put a pretty little knot in your necktie. Look sharp That's half the secret. The other haof is to ack mis'able. Ain't nothin' attracks a gal like ackin' mis'able. Tell her you're lonesome for the gal back home, so she knows she ain't scratching' after a prize nobody wants. Then tell her you can't stay sad long around her, and begin gettin' frisky and sparklin'. If that don't get her, she ain't worth havin'. Stay Loose. Remember--Man proposes, God disposes."

And with these words of wisdom--the U. S. Army almost succeeds in moving Putnam's Landing halfway across Long Island Sound.

Hilarious!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compre ... 971973.jpg

from Goodreads:

A ghostly schooner glides through the mist off the coast of Maine. A Connecticut lighthouse keeper continues to guide ships to safe harbor nearly a century after his death. Pirate ghosts wander the Rhode Island shoreline in search of salvation. These are only a few of the strange but true stories of New England's phantom ships and the spectral seafarers who haunt the shadowy cliffs and moonlit coves of the Northeast. Tales of ghost ships, haunted lighthouses, and other nautical nightmares are a deeply rooted aspect of traditional Yankee folklore. Some of these legends can be traced to genuine shipwrecks and historical events, while others remain a mystery, shrouded in rumor and lore. However, one fact is undeniable: these terrifying phantoms have been witnessed by countless people over the centuries, from common sailors and fishermen to celebrated scholars and heads of state.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Ghosts of Eden Park
The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America

by Karen Abbott

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/08/74932159 ... rohibition

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Hey Petey - you and other delusional right wing police apologists will love this one:

https://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/my-m ... 737668.php

The first memoir by a victim of Burge's torture ring, one of the most horrifically racist government-organized practices in America since the days of slavery
In the Margins Book Award Winner Ronald Kitchen was walking to buy cookies for his young son on a summer evening in 1988 when Chicago detectives picked him up for questioning. As the officers' car headed toward the precinct, the twenty-two-year-old called out the window to his family, "I'll be back in forty-five minutes." It took him twenty-one years to make it home. Kitchen was beaten and tortured by notorious police commander Jon Burge and his cronies until finally confessing to a gruesome quintuple homicide he did not commit. Convicted of murder and sentenced to die, he spent the next two decades in prison—including a dozen years on death row—before at last winning his release and exoneration. Written with passion and defiance, My Midnight Years is more than just a memoir—because Ronald Kitchen's ordeal is not his alone. Kitchen was only one of scores of victims of Jon Burge and his notorious Midnight Crew, a group of rogue police detectives who spent decades terrorizing, brutalizing, and incarcerating men—118 have come forward so far—in Chicago's African American communities. Overcoming overwhelming difficulties, Kitchen cofounded the Death Row 10 from his maximum security cellblock. Together, these men fought to expose the grave injustices that led to their wrongful convictions. The Death Row 10 appeared on 60 Minutes II, Nightline, Oprah, and Geraldo Rivera and, with the help of lawyers and activists, were instrumental in turning the tide against the death penalty in Illinois. Kitchen was finally exonerated in 2009 and filed a high-profile lawsuit against the Chicago Police Department, Jon Burge, Mayor Richard Daley, and the Cook County state's attorney. Kitchen's story is outrageous and heartbreaking. Largely absent from social justice narratives are the testimonies of the victims themselves. The atrocities of the Midnight Crew were brought to light through Kitchen's actions, and he is a rare survivor who has turned his suffering into a public cause. He is poised to become a powerful spokesperson who will play a major part in the ongoing discussion of institutional racism.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Been a while since I've read any books but am glad to have started "Childhoods End" by Arthur C Clarke:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... tEd%29.jpg

Remember this gem by David Bowie:

The song was a tribute to the book which is one of the most highly regarded novels in British history.

FannOLax

Re: Books

Post by FannOLax »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:35 pm Been a while since I've read any books but am glad to have started "Childhoods End" by Arthur C Clarke:
Arthur C. Clarke is perhaps best known for writing 2001: A Space Odyssey, but Childhood's End is probably his best book. I've read it. Quite good, and I won't spoil it by saying anything more about it..... working my way through Hamnet by Maggies O'Farrell; not sure yet whether I'd recommend it.

Today I finally realized how people have been making the fanlax thread names appear changed; I was thinking of re-naming this thread "Frog Feathers, Father" but decided against it.
Cletus

Rabbit Novels by John Updike

Post by Cletus »

Rabbit, Run
Rabbit Redux
Rabbit is Rich
Rabbit at Rest

I've read this great series through a few times. Fascinating look at the cultural changes in America in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's through the eyes and life of Everyman Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom.

One little bit from Rabbit is Rich:

"He lowers his gaze at last out of glory and as his eyes adjust his forehead momentarily hurts, a small arterial pain; perhaps with such a negligible unexplained ache do men begin their deaths, some slow as being tumbled by a cat and some fast as being struck by a hawk. Cancer, coronary."

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Tom Sawyer, Detective

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sawyer,_Detective

Read via audio book. The was the first non juvenile novel that I read as a kid way back in 1963. After all these years, it's still a great read.
Last edited by Brooklyn on Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Looking for some ideas on 19th century history reading that you all may recommend?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:24 pm Looking for some ideas on 19th century history reading that you all may recommend?

viewtopic.php?p=90273#p90273

Melville's Moby Dick is said by many critics to be the USA's greatest novel. This particular history books shows how some of Melville's ideas and words were gleaned from Douglass. Superbly documented book.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:42 pm Just opened up: Lincoln's Battle with God : A President's Struggle with Faith and What It Meant for America
by Stephen Mansfield

My current reading - thanks for the recommendation.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

The Shining by Stephen King

You won't find this book on any traditional classic literary list but I like the way King draws characters. Early on in this story, a janitor/maintenance man by the name of Watson is explaining the upkeep of the boiler to the new caretaker, Jack Torrance.

"Now you got to remember to come down here twice a day and once at night
before you rack in. You got to check the press. If you forget, it'll just creep
and creep and like as not you an your fambly'll wake up on the f*ckin moon.
You just dump her off a little and you'll have no trouble."

Creeping and creeping and waking up on the moon. Great stuff in that one line. As it happens, King chooses it to be a recurring thought for Jack throughout the story. He has a real gift for down-to-earth dialog and sketching regular everyday working class characters.

Some of King's stuff is enjoyable to go back and read piecemeal. Thanks to this online pdf it's easy to do.

https://www.rotaractcrce.com/assets/pdf/book1.pdf
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

am re-reading James Joyce's Ulysses:

https://th.bing.com/th?id=OP.82Tne%2feN ... =5&pid=1.7

Going chapter by chapter only. After reading one, I do some background reading in order to fill in some blanks for me as some of the words or images used are totally foreign to me. Read the book in college decades ago and got an A for the term paper I wrote. IIRC my paper was on "Telemachus" which was the opening chapter. I just finished "Lotus Eaters" and read some online essays about it. These writings gave me some insight that I may have missed all those years ago.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Been re-reading this play from the 70s - The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat As Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade by Peter Weiss.

Loves it 15-20yrs ago and love it even more now

https://www.amazon.com/Persecution-Assa ... 0871295075
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Reign of Terror

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... -ackerman/

Those eager to give terrorist Bush and his collaborator Powell a free pass with regard to the two wars of imperialistic terrorism will be mightily disappointed in the facts disclosed by the book.

Re Bush and Powell's imperialistic attack on Iraq which resulted in the needless death of 1 million Iraqis and multi billion dollar wastages, right wing delusional Fred Barnes of The Weekly Standard was quoted as saying,

"I'd like to see one more thing in Iraq ... an outbreak of gratitude for the greatest act of benevolence one country has done for another."

Imagine if anyone said that about Hitler's invasion of Poland. Incredible stupidity of the worse kind.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.cde5e639fd6 ... ImgRaw&r=0

Gotta put this gem into my Top 10 best fiction I've ever read. Just awesome.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:24 pm Looking for some ideas on 19th century history reading that you all may recommend?

possibly the most entertaining and most underrated novel of the modern era ~ I absolutely LOVED it

https://www.lwcurrey.com/pictures/medium/149166.jpg

Author of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

my current reading:

https://www.mediastorehouse.com/p/629/c ... 1.jpg.webp

Here is the rather unique opening to this staggering book:

Book 1 Sowing

Chapter I — The One Thing Needful
“NOW, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children. Stick to Facts, sir!”

The scene was a plain, bare, monotonous vault of a schoolroom, and the speaker’s square forefinger emphasized his observations by underscoring every sentence with a line on the schoolmaster’s sleeve. The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s square wall of a forehead, which had his eyebrows for its base, while his eyes found commodious cellarage in two dark caves, overshadowed by the wall. The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s mouth, which was wide, thin, and hard set. The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s voice, which was inflexible, dry, and dictatorial. The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s hair, which bristled on the skirts of his bald head, a plantation of firs to keep the wind from its shining surface, all covered with knobs, like the crust of a plum pie, as if the head had scarcely warehouse-room for the hard facts stored inside. The speaker’s obstinate carriage, square coat, square legs, square shoulders, — nay, his very neckcloth, trained to take him by the throat with an unaccommodating grasp, like a stubborn fact, as it was, — all helped the emphasis.

“In this life, we want nothing but Facts, sir; nothing but Facts!”

The speaker, and the schoolmaster, and the third grown person present, all backed a little, and swept with their eyes the inclined plane of little vessels then and there arranged in order, ready to have imperial gallons of facts poured into them until they were full to the brim.

Not sure I will read any more of Dickens' works. Let's see - my reading list includes:

David Copperfield
Great Expectations
Oliver Twist
A Christmas Carol
Bleak House
Hard Times

I do believe I've read a short story or newspaper article by him many moons ago. While the subject matter of his writings are quite striking, I do find his books a bit long and fatiguing. Great depth and meaning to his stuff but it can wear you out after a while.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”