UVA at UNC Friday

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

UVA at UNC Friday

Post by molo »

Unlike last year, when UVA lost to Richmond and was blown out by Duke and Maryland (twice), they don’t have a “bad” loss this year, and they have a solid win again one of the teams that could beat them. I anticipate one more loss to either Duke or ND or maybe both. UNC is not as good as Duke or ND, but they are good enough to beat UVA if a combination of the factors that have cropped up in their losses are not corrected.
Is their best player hurt? If so, they need to lean on some other good offensive players to compensate. They have them, but they need to step up. Neither of the likely first team AAs played well last week.
Carolina has a good FOGO who leads their midfielders in goals. UVA’s FOGO needs to keep in mind that winning the face-off and winning possession are simply but not synonymous.
UNC may not feature a lot of midfield scoring, but three dms and a some contribution from a full service midfielder is pushing the envelope. This could be a game to develop a fourth ssdm.
The poles are talented individually but need to clean things up. UNC’s attack has improved as the year has gone by.
Nunes took his licks and has improved. Keep it up. Garno has found his shot. Conner does a lot and does it well. Does any team have as good a right/left pair of finishers?
Lars calls for learning from losses. Fix relatively few problems and lean on the strengths. UVA shiyuget back on the winning track by something like 18-14.
Laxfan23

Re: UVA at UNC Friday

Post by Laxfan23 »

UNC’s D has been solid……O on the upswing….looking for a solid competitive game in an exciting and enthusiastic environment!
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:55 pm Unlike last year, when UVA lost to Richmond and was blown out by Duke and Maryland (twice), they don’t have a “bad” loss this year, and they have a solid win again one of the teams that could beat them. I anticipate one more loss to either Duke or ND or maybe both. UNC is not as good as Duke or ND, but they are good enough to beat UVA if a combination of the factors that have cropped up in their losses are not corrected.
Is their best player hurt? If so, they need to lean on some other good offensive players to compensate. They have them, but they need to step up. Neither of the likely first team AAs played well last week.
Carolina has a good FOGO who leads their midfielders in goals. UVA’s FOGO needs to keep in mind that winning the face-off and winning possession are simply but not synonymous.
UNC may not feature a lot of midfield scoring, but three dms and a some contribution from a full service midfielder is pushing the envelope. This could be a game to develop a fourth ssdm.
The poles are talented individually but need to clean things up. UNC’s attack has improved as the year has gone by.
Nunes took his licks and has improved. Keep it up. Garno has found his shot. Conner does a lot and does it well. Does any team have as good a right/left pair of finishers?
Lars calls for learning from losses. Fix relatively few problems and lean on the strengths. UVA shiyuget back on the winning track by something like 18-14.

I plan to be there unless my girlfriend gets her way (in which case it won’t be a lacrosse game).

The face off again might decide matters here. Tyeryar (hardest name in D1 to spell) looks like he might be getting to Lasalla, yet Lasalla has clearly upped his game this season.

And UNC’s offense seems to have exploded recently.

No call from me on this. You think UVA should win, but I just don’t feel strong making the call.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

The jury is still out on whether UNC's offense has really turned the corner or not. They have looked quite good against less than stellar competition the last three games.

Looks like rain for this game. Dorrance field can get very slick in wet conditions. Hope these boys have some good cleats.

I'm hoping for a close barn burner reminiscent of so many UNC-UVA games in the past, but could also envision a score where UVA wins by 3-5.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

UVA.

Big.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

10 10 2 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:11 pm The jury is still out on whether UNC's offense has really turned the corner or not. They have looked quite good against less than stellar competition the last three games.

Looks like rain for this game. Dorrance field can get very slick in wet conditions. Hope these boys have some good cleats.

I'm hoping for a close barn burner reminiscent of so many UNC-UVA games in the past, but could also envision a score where UVA wins by 3-5.
If you want to win this game, I think you are going to have to score at least 15 points. I wouldn't be surprised to see both teams scoring in the high teens.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

10 10 2 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:11 pm The jury is still out on whether UNC's offense has really turned the corner or not. They have looked quite good against less than stellar competition the last three games.

Agreed. I'm rooting for the Heels but I think they're going to be outgunned. As mentioned by others, the midfield production is wanting. The D, while stout, is going to be severely tested. Krieg will have to stand on his head to keep Carolina in it. I hope to be wrong but I think it will be UVA's day, perhaps in lopsided fashion.

Speaking of the field conditions, every game seems to feature several players (Heels and guests) losing their footing, even on relatively dry days. I don't recall this being an issue when games were played at Fetzer or Kenan. Can any UNC soccer followers attest to whether or not this is an issue for games played at Dorrance in the fall?
Finish Strong
Finster

Post by Finster »

Sportin' Life wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:32 pm

Agreed. I'm rooting for the Heels but I think they're going to be outgunned. As mentioned by others, the midfield production is wanting. The D, while stout, is going to be severely tested. Krieg will have to stand on his head to keep Carolina in it. I hope to be wrong but I think it will be UVA's day, perhaps in lopsided fashion.

Speaking of the field conditions, every game seems to feature several players (Heels and guests) losing their footing, even on relatively dry days. I don't recall this being an issue when games were played at Fetzer or Kenan. Can any UNC soccer followers attest to whether or not this is an issue for games played at Dorrance in the fall?

Every game I’ve attended this year the weather has been kind of rough. The only sunny game I recall was Harvard at UVA, but it was still chilly.

Anyway, no dog in the hunt tomorrow, just hoping Carolina keeps it tight.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Sportin' Life wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:32 pm Speaking of the field conditions, every game seems to feature several players (Heels and guests) losing their footing
Good news for UVA fans - the men in orange&blue got lots of practice playing slip-'n-slide lacrosse last week.... :roll:

molo

Post by molo »

The bad news is that it looks like rain all day and into the evening in Chapel Hill. The good news is that bit looks like the threat of thunderstorms is less of an issue now. In any event, unless drainage is good, the field will be a quagmire.
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:25 pm The bad news is that it looks like rain all day and into the evening in Chapel Hill. The good news is that bit looks like the threat of thunderstorms is less of an issue now. In any event, unless drainage is good, the field will be a quagmire.

I’ll be there regardless. Looking forward! Not the rain, but the game.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

molo wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:25 pm The bad news is that it looks like rain all day and into the evening in Chapel Hill. The good news is that bit looks like the threat of thunderstorms is less of an issue now. In any event, unless drainage is good, the field will be a quagmire.
flashback to games where shots had to be dug out of the mud in the crease.... :lol:

Question for the statisticians out there, if the goalie digs it out - is that a save or just a ground ball...

molo

Post by molo »

I’m getting 45, warming up to 46, with a 90% chance of rain. Gonna be nasty.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Shellenberger Is not listed as a starting in the uva/UNC game tonight
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:58 pm Shellenberger Is not listed as a starting in the uva/UNC game tonight
That certainly makes things interesting.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Schutz Is also out
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:17 pm Schutz Is also out
No he's not
rcolter

Post by rcolter »

:?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wow. North Carolina getting blown out on their own field. :shock:

Big game in determining whether 3 or 4 ACC teams make the NCAA tournament.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
molo

Post by molo »

Schutz is playing. The rain and lack of Shellenberger have kept the visitors under 15 for the half.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”