Duke at UVA Friday March 31 5 pm

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Duke at UVA Friday March 31 5 pm

Post by Finster »

Let’s go!!!

Next best game of the year.

ND really disappointed me against UVA; I don’t expect Duke to do the same. That ND game was much closer than the final score and had ND not completely ‘blanked’ the bed in the first quarter (and last three minutes of the 4th), ND comes out on top.

Duke has quietly been gaining steam. Naso is coming in with confidence.

But UVA has the players this year. Going to be a great one and I’ll be there. Can not wait.
Hoxwurth

Re: Duke at UVA Friday March 31 5 pm

Post by Hoxwurth »

Finster wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:48 am I don’t expect Duke to do the same. That ND game was much closer than the final score and had ND not completely ‘blanked’ the bed in the first quarter (and last three minutes of the 4th), ND comes out on top.

But UVA has the players this year. Going to be a great one and I’ll be there. Can not wait.
Nah, the ND game is closer if Nunes had performed in line his season prior to the ND game.

Duke has had Virginia's number in the regular season for years. That has to end one day, right? For what it's worth, Lacrosse Reference likes Duke's level of achievement so far, although it also like UNC's defense as one of the greatest of all time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:48 am Let’s go!!!

ND really disappointed me against UVA; I don’t expect Duke to do the same. That ND game was much closer than the final score and had ND not completely ‘blanked’ the bed in the first quarter (and last three minutes of the 4th), ND comes out on top.

If "Ifs and buts were candy and nuts".........Not sure what game you were watching, if you watched it...... Virginia won the major statistical categories, shots, saves, groundballs, face offs and just pulled away in the 2nd half. They also kept Notre dame's offense in check most of the game but ND had no answer for Shellenberger and Dickson. The margin was what it was. It's not like they padded it with some empty net goals at the end. The only thing I agree with you is Duke could be a competitor for the #1 spot. Any let down and Virginia drops back to 4th. History has not been kind to the Wahoos in this match up so anything could happen.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

This is like Alice in Wonderland- I have no idea on Gods green earth how anyone could say that ND loss was closer to the score. If anything I felt UVA essentially dominated. At no point did I ever think ND would win. And for all of your hype of the Kavanaughs, I just wasn’t impressed. Now, re Duke. My hope is that the current UVA players are green enough to not remember or even know just what little bitxxxs they are to Duke. If Lars can get the guys to blank out the DARPA zen-like, yoga mind-duckery that Danowski always uses against the Hoos then we should be ok
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

blank out the DARPA zen-like, yoga mind-duckery that Danowski always uses against the Hoos then we should be ok
lol !

Maybe Dano learned those mind games from Belichick.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finster

Post by Finster »

rasheed wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:30 am

This is like Alice in Wonderland- I have no idea on Gods green earth how anyone could say that ND loss was closer to the score. If anything I felt UVA essentially dominated. At no point did I ever think ND would win. And for all of your hype of the Kavanaughs, I just wasn’t impressed. Now, re Duke. My hope is that the current UVA players are green enough to not remember or even know just what little bitxxxs they are to Duke. If Lars can get the guys to blank out the DARPA zen-like, yoga mind-duckery that Danowski always uses against the Hoos then we should be ok

At 8-7 in the 3rd you still thought UVA was dominating?

I’d argue that if ND’s defense didn’t play so bone-headedly for most of the game (how many wide open shots do you want to allow Dickson from 5 yards and in?), and with players like Taylor literally shooting into Nunes stick on the doorstep with no defender, that game would have been a far different outcome.

UVA came to play with focus and energy (see the statistics), while ND was out of sorts. Still it was only 8-7 in the third.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

so if notre dame plays better defense for almost the entirety of the game instead of not doing so, it's not only closer, but a far different outcome. check. do they get all new defensive players to cook up this scheme? maybe all of maryland's guys? as it turns out, notre dame made one run for 5 or 10 minutes. they play again, i'm presuming nd will need to use the same players.

they're certainly capable of beating anyone on a given day. we'll see how it goes.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

no it wasn't. They blanked the bed the last three minutes of the fourth? not they didn't, virginia did with stupid turnovers. Virginia stops stupid turnovers and it is a 10 goal boat-race. I am sure the duke game would be good but starting the thread off with that is silly. Virginia won by 5 on the road playing their B-minus game.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Hoping Friday’s forecast holds: overcast and 70. The sun at 5 pm would help UVA dramatically. Who schedules the starting times at Klockner?!! Either start a game at noon or at 7 pm. The sun sucks there so hard.

Anyway, I just can’t tell about this game. I’m sure Shellenberger will get the Tewey this year (and next).

But I can’t tell about UVA Duke. Anyone’s game. I’d give UVA an advantage I guess of 2 goals.

The freshman Balsamo from Duke is a real surprise. That kid can play. I don’t see any impactful freshman at UVA, but I guess they held back 5 kids who are red shirting.

C’mon. Let’s get at it!!! I want to put my helmet and gloves back on!!!! LFG!!! This is why they don’t allow me to play at Lake Placid, far too much adrenaline. :lol:
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Duke is a much more well rounded team than in years past and goalie who transferred in has answered questions. Should be a great game, giving edge to UVA at home.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

stupefied wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:27 pm

Duke is a much more well rounded team than in years past and goalie who transferred in has answered questions. Should be a great game, giving edge to UVA at home.
Until UVA get's the Duke monkey off their back, you have to assume Danowski continues to enjoy the space he has leased in UVA's head.....

But, it has to happen eventually.

As stated earlier, this is yet more "Must See" lacrosse....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
molo

Post by molo »

History says Duke wins this one. That’s just what they do again UVA in the regular season. A more objective view, taking in home field objective, says the number one team should take it. There is no clear advancing face-offs, but who can predict how the matchup will play out? I lean toward LaSalla but hedge my bet given the potential for injury and fatigue.
After experimenting with a variety of midfield combos, Dino had settled two unit, the first led by a resurgent veteran and an outstanding freshman who will probably inherit O’Neill’s lefty attack spot when the superstar graduates. Lehigh’s too attackman from last year and a coach’s son who plays EMO anchor the second unit. I like UVA’s poles versus the Duke alphas but am a little concerned that UVA runs primarily just three ssdm, although Conner takes some defensive runs, against these balanced Duke midfields.
Duke has the best attack thatUVA will see except maybe at practice. O’Neill is a T candidate who is big and strong enough to overpower most defensemen. For once, he won’t be physically superior to the trees that UVA has at close. McAdorey would be the best attackman on most teams. Not tall but quick and strong, he has made the transition from midfield to qb attackman seamlessly. Williams is Duke’s Cormier, a big lefty Canadian who finishes with aplomb.
If possessions or roughly even, Duke’s d will be hard pressed to shut down Shellenberger. No knock on their close d, it’s just that they are not Maryland. No other team is. When Shellenberger is on, so are the Oakville Ix and the Slim Reaper. Will Duke double pole the middies? McConvey is having an AA year, and Schutz is just too big to short. I’m still wondering when will see more of Miezan, who must be bothered by a lingering injury since he averages more than a point per game in relatively little pt.
I like both goalies. Helms has adjusted well to a higher level, and Nunes, subject to some criticism from the fan base, looked good against ND.
As I said earlier, UVA plays three teams who have reasonable chances to beat them. They lost to one in OT, the pulled away from the second, and I’m picking them Friday against an excellent team that bedevils them. First team to 18 should take it.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Last yr 17-6 Duke. 17-12 In faceoffs-Va. Naso had 12 gbs 39-30 Duke in gbs. Va rarely loses the gb game. Nunes did play well in SouthBend week. I’m a little hard on him because he has more than a few games at 40% sv avg. Last week he was at 58%, so good for him ! He showed up big time.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Death, taxes, and Dano beating UVA.

No one can explain why. It just is.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

UVa's quarterfinal win over Duke was g-d's payback to Lars for breaking Molloy's foot. Given the relative historical talent levels between the two teams, there really is no rational explanation for the record. Pick Duke until Virginia wins some with regularity.
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:42 pm History says Duke wins this one. That’s just what they do again UVA in the regular season. A more objective view, taking in home field objective, says the number one team should take it. There is no clear advancing face-offs, but who can predict how the matchup will play out? I lean toward LaSalla but hedge my bet given the potential for injury and fatigue.
After experimenting with a variety of midfield combos, Dino had settled two unit, the first led by a resurgent veteran and an outstanding freshman who will probably inherit O’Neill’s lefty attack spot when the superstar graduates. Lehigh’s too attackman from last year and a coach’s son who plays EMO anchor the second unit. I like UVA’s poles versus the Duke alphas but am a little concerned that UVA runs primarily just three ssdm, although Conner takes some defensive runs, against these balanced Duke midfields.
Duke has the best attack thatUVA will see except maybe at practice. O’Neill is a T candidate who is big and strong enough to overpower most defensemen. For once, he won’t be physically superior to the trees that UVA has at close. McAdorey would be the best attackman on most teams. Not tall but quick and strong, he has made the transition from midfield to qb attackman seamlessly. Williams is Duke’s Cormier, a big lefty Canadian who finishes with aplomb.
If possessions or roughly even, Duke’s d will be hard pressed to shut down Shellenberger. No knock on their close d, it’s just that they are not Maryland. No other team is. When Shellenberger is on, so are the Oakville Ix and the Slim Reaper. Will Duke double pole the middies? McConvey is having an AA year, and Schutz is just too big to short. I’m still wondering when will see more of Miezan, who must be bothered by a lingering injury since he averages more than a point per game in relatively little pt.
I like both goalies. Helms has adjusted well to a higher level, and Nunes, subject to some criticism from the fan base, looked good against ND.
As I said earlier, UVA plays three teams who have reasonable chances to beat them. They lost to one in OT, the pulled away from the second, and I’m picking them Friday against an excellent team that bedevils them. First team to 18 should take it.

I haven’t seen Duke play this year but will on Friday. There is a kid on Duke whose skills I really like and it’s Wilson Stephenson. That kid has wheels, smarts, and size. He’s a ground ball machine. Notably, he played alongside Xander Dickson in high school.

He is potentially the X factor in this game. Watch for him.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09 pm Last yr 17-6 Duke. 17-12 In faceoffs-Va. Naso had 12 gbs 39-30 Duke in gbs. Va rarely loses the gb game. Nunes did play well in SouthBend week. I’m a little hard on him because he has more than a few games at 40% sv avg. Last week he was at 58%, so good for him ! He showed up big time.
he showed up in the terp game, too. is there a goalie that doesn't have games in the 40s? nunes actually just has 3 this year. and one of those was @ .455, not 40. and that one was 15-3 after a little over a quarter. the others were a 4-5 goal game and a 5-7 goal game in their favor. not exactly relevant.
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09 pm Last yr 17-6 Duke. 17-12 In faceoffs-Va. Naso had 12 gbs 39-30 Duke in gbs. Va rarely loses the gb game. Nunes did play well in SouthBend week. I’m a little hard on him because he has more than a few games at 40% sv avg. Last week he was at 58%, so good for him ! He showed up big time.
he showed up in the terp game, too. is there a goalie that doesn't have games in the 40s? nunes actually just has 3 this year. and one of those was @ .455, not 40. and that one was 15-3 after a little over a quarter. the others were a 4-5 goal game and a 5-7 goal game in their favor. not exactly relevant.

McNaney (preseason 2nd team AA) was .294 against Loyola.
molo

Post by molo »

The death and taxes thing is what has me concerned.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Duke D>>>ND D

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”