Eye Black

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Eye Black

Post by Matnum PI »

Did I miss something? A referee disallowing eye black? Is this UMass? i.e. D1 Men's Lacrosse. I understand the rule exists but (1) Why? and (2) is this really enforced?

The rule is as follows: “Rule 2, Section 17: Eye black must be one solid stroke with no logos/numbers/letters and shall not extend further than the width of the eye socket or below the cheekbone.”
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Re: Eye Black

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:28 am Did I miss something? A referee disallowing eye black? Is this UMass? i.e. D1 Men's Lacrosse. I understand the rule exists but (1) Why? and (2) is this really enforced?

The rule is as follows: “Rule 2, Section 17: Eye black must be one solid stroke with no logos/numbers/letters and shall not extend further than the width of the eye socket or below the cheekbone.”
1) because the adults in our society are in charge. there should be a czar for ixnaying dumb stuff.
2)it's enforced often at the h.s. level.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

I can't find this in the 23-24 NCAA Rulebook. Rule 2 only has 13 sections. Is this elsewhere?
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

I believe you are quoting the high school rule which is a point of emphasis for 2023. I do not know of any such rule in College and based on some of the fun eye black patterns I have seen it probably isn't a rule and the ref applied the high school rule to a college game.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

palaxoff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:10 am ... it probably isn't a rule and the ref applied the high school rule to a college game.
That's odd. You know why the HS rule exists?
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:39 am
palaxoff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:10 am ... it probably isn't a rule and the ref applied the high school rule to a college game.
That's odd. You know why the HS rule exists?
no intimidation allowed. it's unsportsmanlike.
rule is 4 or 5 years old.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Since apparently this wasn't obvious, this kid says stuff like this all the time. He's trying to be a TikTok influencer. The eye black "drip" thing is a stupid running meme. He wasn't actually kicked out of the game.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:45 am no intimidation allowed. it's unsportsmanlike. rule is 4 or 5 years old.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:49 am Since apparently this wasn't obvious, this kid says stuff like this all the time. He's trying to be a TikTok influencer. The eye black "drip" thing is a stupid running meme. He wasn't actually kicked out of the game.
In other words, what this face-off guy is purporting never happened. In that case, never mind...

To be fair, it seemed unbelievable. Which is why I posted this. Though, I didn't know about this HS rule. Seems to be an ignored HS rule.
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:54 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:49 am Since apparently this wasn't obvious, this kid says stuff like this all the time. He's trying to be a TikTok influencer. The eye black "drip" thing is a stupid running meme. He wasn't actually kicked out of the game.
In other words, what this face-off guy is purporting never happened. In that case, never mind...

To be fair, it seemed unbelievable. Which is why I posted this. Though, I didn't know about this HS rule. Seems to be an ignored HS rule.
what do you mean by ignored?
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Eye black rules are beyond dumb.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:12 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:54 am

what do you mean by ignored?
In NJ they’ve talked about it for years but it’s never been enforced by refs. I’m cool with it, I think it’s a silly rule that has no bearing on a game.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:12 am what do you mean by ignored?
I see lots of "excessive" eye black at HS games. And no penalties related to this paint.
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:28 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:12 am what do you mean by ignored?
I see lots of "excessive" eye black at HS games. And no penalties related to this paint.
which games?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:32 am which games?
Most recent was Lawrenceville (NJ) at Boys Latin (MD). I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw lots of paint on several boys. Thought nothing of it at the time.
Caddy Day
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

What person is sitting in a lonely room thinking about a rule to punish eye black? Are we kidding ourselves? Who cares? Intimidating?
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

For 2023 the NFHS made Eye Black in all high school sports a point of emphasis. In the past it was the responsibility of the official to check before games and have it cleaned up. This year they made it a time serving penalty and shifted responsibility for enforcing to the coaches who certify their players are properly equipped.

Personally, I don't see how faces painted like Kiss are intimidating especially with a helmet on and a cage in front.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:39 am
Most recent was Lawrenceville (NJ) at Boys Latin (MD). I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw lots of paint on several boys. Thought nothing of it at the time.
private schools play nc$$ rules. shot clock, dive rule, timeouts in box only, etc. that's the best way to prep johnny for going to "the league".

as nj says, though, it's selectively enforced or not. my area some do, some don't. problem there is, when u run into someone hoo does, you'd have to spend half or more of your warmups wiping eyeblack off everyone's face. i believe one year it was even an emphasis at the national level.

and once you make a rule for *the safety* of all athletes, you don't go back. so i don't expect it to change.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:58 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:39 am
private schools play nc$$ rules. shot clock, dive rule, timeouts in box only, etc. that's the best way to prep johnny for going to "the league".

as nj says, though, it's selectively enforced or not. my area some do, some don't. problem there is, when u run into someone hoo does, you'd have to spend half or more of your warmups wiping eyeblack off everyone's face. i believe one year it was even an emphasis at the national level.

and once you make a rule for *the safety* of all athletes, you don't go back. so i don't expect it to change.
I know you didn’t say it but not all private schools. Many “private” schools play in public schools leagues. It’s a point of contention.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

palaxoff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:56 am For 2023 the NFHS made Eye Black in all high school sports a point of emphasis. In the past it was the responsibility of the official to check before games and have it cleaned up. This year they made it a time serving penalty and shifted responsibility for enforcing to the coaches who certify their players are properly equipped.

Personally, I don't see how faces painted like Kiss are intimidating especially with a helmet on and a cage in front.
nice. upping their game this year. we need a czar for stupidity.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”