UVA at Notre Dame Saturday 12 Noon

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

UVA at Notre Dame Saturday 12 Noon

Post by Finster »

Certainly no offense to other teams (especially Maryland after beating UVA, and nearly beating ND), but the UVA at ND game this weekend is the national championship game opponents in May.

I’m waiting for Chosen1 to list odds but I’m guessing it’s ND -1.

Such a fascinating game. Unfortunately the weather forecast is absolutely atrocious. Raining and cold. Ugh. That can really make a good game hard to predict.

All else being equal, I’m going with Notre Dame here, 13-12.
HooDat

Re: UVA at Notre Dame Saturday 12 Noon

Post by HooDat »

Finster wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:23 am Unfortunately the weather forecast is absolutely atrocious. Raining and cold. Ugh.
they shouldn't allow games to be played in South Bend... :lol: 8-) :mrgreen:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it may not be that bad. things can change, but as of now nws has 40-45, 10-20 mph winds and precip chance from noon to 1 pm @ 35% dropping to 10% after 1 pm.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Having watched both teams play a common opponent, I don't think ND's defense can limit Shellenberger and Dickson the way that Zappitello and Makar did. Conversely, I'm not sure UVA's close defense can handle the Bros Kavanagh. Brian Tevlin is going to be a match up problem for UVA in the midfield on both ends of the field. He's been special this year. ND has a distinct advantage in goal, and it's not particularly close. Can Lasalla give UVA enough possessions? Prior to the MD game, UVA was getting up nearly 50 shots a game. I think they'll need that kind of volume of shooting to overcome Entenmann in the cage.

But I don't know if I could pick either team as a winner! Easy to make a case why either can win.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Second week in a row of "must watch lacrosse"....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:49 pm Having watched both teams play a common opponent, I don't think ND's defense can limit Shellenberger and Dickson the way that Zappitello and Makar did. Conversely, I'm not sure UVA's close defense can handle the Bros Kavanagh. Brian Tevlin is going to be a match up problem for UVA in the midfield on both ends of the field. He's been special this year. ND has a distinct advantage in goal, and it's not particularly close. Can Lasalla give UVA enough possessions? Prior to the MD game, UVA was getting up nearly 50 shots a game. I think they'll need that kind of volume of shooting to overcome Entenmann in the cage.

But I don't know if I could pick either team as a winner! Easy to make a case why either can win.
most teams would *trade* for entenmann if they were being honest, but the hoos have gotten to him twice without a ton of shots and nunes outplayed him last time around. and they held down the kavs.

small sample sizes of course, and it's a new year. i expect both teams in double digits this year as they're playing with pace.
molo

Post by molo »

I agree with much of what Wheels said. It would be nice to develop a fourth ssdm and to run a second midfield. Against ACC teams it will be difficult to run just a four if five man rotation with Sunderland coming in for Dixon when he plays mid. The obvious answer is more time for a guy who averages about a point a game while playing a couple of minutes a game.
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:13 pm it may not be that bad. things can change, but as of now nws has 40-45, 10-20 mph winds and precip chance from noon to 1 pm @ 35% dropping to 10% after 1 pm.

That forecast sucks. I’m looking at the updated one. Miserable. Rain, snow, wind, gusts now to 30mph, some higher. Chance of rain 100%.

Just switch the home game to Charlottesville this weekend and trade the last game back to South Bend.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Big difference, Klockner is grass, Arlotta w turf. With sport turf I don’t see weather being major factor. The soar thumbs stick out: Nunes is better at home, ND additions Fake & Devlin are big. And, ND just has droves of offensive players that are equally or more talented than MD.
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:29 am Big difference, Klockner is grass, Arlotta w turf. With sport turf I don’t see weather being major factor. The soar thumbs stick out: Nunes is better at home, ND additions Fake & Devlin are big. And, ND just has droves of offensive players that are equally or more talented than MD.

This made me laugh.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Terpslax1991 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:10 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:29 am Big difference, Klockner is grass, Arlotta w turf. With sport turf I don’t see weather being major factor. The soar thumbs stick out: Nunes is better at home, ND additions Fake & Devlin are big. And, ND just has droves of offensive players that are equally or more talented than MD.

This made me laugh.
Your title made me laugh. Lost to Towson in 91’ in FF4 ! Ha
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

This made me laugh.
No idea why Virginia should even bother to show up with all that stacked against them.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Finster wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:23 am Certainly no offense to other teams (especially Maryland after beating UVA, and nearly beating ND), but the UVA at ND game this weekend is the national championship game opponents in May.

I’m waiting for Chosen1 to list odds but I’m guessing it’s ND -1.

Such a fascinating game. Unfortunately the weather forecast is absolutely atrocious. Raining and cold. Ugh. That can really make a good game hard to predict.

All else being equal, I’m going with Notre Dame here, 13-12.
Not sure how that can be said with any conviction. Maryland, Duke and Cornell are on equal footing with those two. Both have their strengths and vulnerabilities as witnessed in games vs Maryland.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:25 pm

This made me laugh.
No idea why Virginia should even bother to show up with all that stacked against them.
In a lot ways, I feel like UVA's loss last weekend makes them more likely to win this weekend. I'm not normally one to believe in "bounce back theories," but Shelly isn't going to have two below average scoring games in a row. Fake didn't exactly shut down Erksa in College Park. In fact, Erksa's speed seemed to be a problem for Fake. Shellenberger has elite athleticism, and I can't believe he'll shoot 1-7 (with his 1 being a backside dunk off a slide) again. Tevlin has been super impressive, so he is a difference make in trying to contain Schutz. I do think the game comes down to possessions. If Lasalla goes +50%, I think that will be the difference.

Watch ND switch this game to their indoor football practice facility! If that happens, ND by a comfortable margin!
Finster

Post by Finster »

Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:52 pm

This made me laugh.
In a lot ways, I feel like UVA's loss last weekend makes them more likely to win this weekend. I'm not normally one to believe in "bounce back theories," but Shelly isn't going to have two below average scoring games in a row. Fake didn't exactly shut down Erksa in College Park. In fact, Erksa's speed seemed to be a problem for Fake. Shellenberger has elite athleticism, and I can't believe he'll shoot 1-7 (with his 1 being a backside dunk off a slide) again. Tevlin has been super impressive, so he is a difference make in trying to contain Schutz. I do think the game comes down to possessions. If Lasalla goes +50%, I think that will be the difference.

Watch ND switch this game to their indoor football practice facility! If that happens, ND by a comfortable margin!

Are they allowed to change the venue in case of adverse weather?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:08 pm

This made me laugh.

Believe both coaches have to agree. It’s happened to Maryland. Last year in CP Maryland was scheduled to play Albany at Byrd but because of bad weather and because the teams would not be able to reschedule they agreed to play the game at the new Inside field at what was formerly Cole Fieldhouse.

A couple years back Maryland was at ND and bad weather was going on. Tills agree to play at ND indoor field. He also agreed to some odd rule changes. Example if the ball hits the ceiling it called out. And that did happen so Maryland lost possession. Silly rule changes IMO
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

This made me laugh.

you seem obsessed with this. it'll be 46 degrees at game time. you're a syracuse fan, but did u grow up in florida?
lorin

Post by lorin »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:20 am

This made me laugh.

you seem obsessed with this. it'll be 46 degrees at game time. you're a syracuse fan, but did u grow up in florida?
LMAO
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:20 am

This made me laugh.

Where did you get your meteorology degree, Trump U? The weather is always perfect in the Dome.

And my weather.com South Bend forecast for Saturday isn’t just “46 degrees”. It’s:

“100% chance of rain/snow
43 degrees
SW winds 20-30, gusting to over 40”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

According to a tweet from ND it is at Arlotta Stadium and will free.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”