William Smith 2023

D3 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: William Smith 2023

Post by Dr. Tact »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:18 pm
Laxdds wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:50 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:10 pm Gettysburg girls seem thicker as someone who watches little college women’s lacrosse.
We feed them well down here..GO BULLETS!
More importantly they had a step of intensity and speed on WS’ defense. They clearly wanted it more.
I noticed the speed at the York game...impressive run the bullets are on.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Laxdds wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:33 pm I was just goofing around... Congratulations to WS on a fantastic season!! Please help a southerner, what is the correct way to state the name, is it Hobart William Smith or William Smith? Is it one school or two?
That's a tough one. It is Hobart and William Smith. Originally it was two schools that shared one faculty and campus ... admissions, Dean's, sports were all separate. Now it is basically one school. But when we cheer the women's teams we cheer William Smith and when we cheer the men we cheer Hobart. And there is the non-binary move to just say HWS. So ... there you go. It was a great season. Gettysburg was just the better team today.
RocLaxFan

Post by RocLaxFan »

Last edited by RocLaxFan on Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxdds wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:33 pm I was just goofing around... Congratulations to WS on a fantastic season!! Please help a southerner, what is the correct way to state the name, is it Hobart William Smith or William Smith? Is it one school or two?
Southerner? I moved to Atlanta a bakers dozen years ago from NY. Still in damn yankee for another 7-12 my wife’s grandfather told me. Then I matriculate to just yankee.

Lg already replied but Hobart and William Smith colleges. Occasionally a tad mysoginistic at times you’ll find your share of guys (and women) who just call it Hobart. Weird coordinate system thing that’s slowly decaying as there’s been coed dorm buildings for 40yrs or more.

But…the first female medical degree was conferred to an alum named Elizabeth Blackwell!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Blackwell

More contemporary is Abigail Johnson who runs and controls Fidelity (though she hasn’t given nearly enough given a +/-$15Bn net worth)
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RocLaxFan wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:59 pm Noticed the REAL refs TODAY didn't allow MM to drop her butt end of the stick before whistle on the draw. Would have been nice if the
SAME women (D1 scrubs) refs who NOT ONLY did the SJF and following day Tufts would had done the same thing today, I'm sure Gettysburg coach said something to the todays refs before the game, just as WS did about 3 seconds call in the SJF game.They sure where looking for that! Funny how things like that happen. As Paul Harvey would say "Now you know the rest of the story". GOOD DAY!!!
This is beyond worthy of discussing at this point and now appearing petty. Move on.
See Martin, Malcolm
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

+1

Better yet RLF, go get certified and 'be part of the solution' (as my old sales manager used to say). Great exercise, decent+ pay, personally rewarding, most of the time fun, and you're helping grow the game. You'll see the game differently as well.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Nigel wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:12 pm +1

Better yet RLF, go get certified and 'be part of the solution' (as my old sales manager used to say). Great exercise, decent+ pay, personally rewarding, most of the time fun, and you're helping grow the game. You'll see the game differently as well.
Decent pay? Are you currently employed as slave labor?

Otherwise agreed.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:04 pm
Southerner? I moved to Atlanta a bakers dozen years ago from NY. Still in damn yankee for another 7-12 my wife’s grandfather told me. Then I matriculate to just yankee.

Lg already replied but Hobart and William Smith colleges. Occasionally a tad mysoginistic at times you’ll find your share of guys (and women) who just call it Hobart. Weird coordinate system thing that’s slowly decaying as there’s been coed dorm buildings for 40yrs or more.

But…the first female medical degree was conferred to an alum named Elizabeth Blackwell!

More contemporary is Abigail Johnson who runs and controls Fidelity (though she hasn’t given nearly enough given a +/-$15Bn net worth)
I had a CO while I was an XO in the Navy who was a Hobart grad. She knew I was a lacrosse player and we discussed scores/games etc a lot. She always referred to her alma mater as simply Hobart, so when the WS thing came up I was confused. Thanks for the clarification.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxdds wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:43 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:04 pm

I had a CO while I was an XO in the Navy who was a Hobart grad. She knew I was a lacrosse player and we discussed scores/games etc a lot. She always referred to her alma mater as simply Hobart, so when the WS thing came up I was confused. Thanks for the clarification.
Yeah, should be carried on a women’s thread but I still call it just Hobart, even in front of my daughter a lot…
See Martin, Malcolm
lax410

Post by lax410 »

I like Wm Smith. They’ve been a great team for a number of years. I wish they’d challenge themselves a bit more in their non-league play going forward. Given the lack of competition in their league they need to play a more aggressive schedule.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lax410 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:21 am I like Wm Smith. They’ve been a great team for a number of years. I wish they’d challenge themselves a bit more in their non-league play going forward. Given the lack of competition in their league they need to play a more aggressive schedule.
May change, money was I believe running a little tighter middle of last decade for athletics, all programs were sticking closer to home generally. There’s been an institutional push in Athletics from an admissions perspective, not to be Ithaca but more to manage numbers and yield. Especially in light of the surrounding area population draining.

Men’s lacrosse opened up travel a little this year, mens hockey team won a natl title and travels more, etc.
See Martin, Malcolm
lax

Post by lax »

William Smith retained the ball because the officials called both a foul on the offense and a foul on the defense - this went to alternating possession - that is what the signal with two fists out to the side from the official are. It would be great if the announcers knew the game better as you could actually see the calls made.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lax wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:32 am William Smith retained the ball because the officials called both a foul on the offense and a foul on the defense - this went to alternating possession - that is what the signal with two fists out to the side from the official are. It would be great if the announcers knew the game better as you could actually see the calls made.
I’m sure a Fisher fan would like to argue something unfair occurred only to them.
See Martin, Malcolm
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Nice write-up from US lax magazine!

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... liam-smith
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

York gave WS all they could handle today. WS wins in OT
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:17 pm York gave WS all they could handle today. WS wins in OT
Did you make the trip? Glad it was a good game.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:46 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:17 pm York gave WS all they could handle today. WS wins in OT
Did you make the trip? Glad it was a good game.
Yeah... 6 hour drive. Game ended with some controversy, but teams played hard. WS had more opportunities, won more GBs and DCs. WS is fast, heavily dependent on #16 and #13. 16 had 4 Gs while being faceguarded.
lovelax

Post by lovelax »

Agree on the scoring burden on two players. WS coach is excellent and will straighten that out over the season. I'm glad these teams played. A great OOC game for both.
chfan

Post by chfan »

Agree on the scoring burden on two players. WS coach is excellent and will straighten that out over the season. I'm glad these teams played. A great OOC game for both.
#13 (Danials) and #16 (Montomery) are basically dodgers. However, #26 Hannah Evans is a cutter and has scored 11 goals against good competition (Geneseo, Cortland and Salisbury) in the last three games,
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Btw congrats to Maddie Montgomery did bring the lone d3 Tawaarton nominee. Frankly I don’t know why they can’t do a D3 winner and nominees instead of nominating a player that can never possibly win against D1 players. Just nominate 10, D3, give the award out to the most deserving and have her at the dinner and acknowledge her (and D3) for 20 seconds.

Return to “D3 WOMENS LACROSSE”