Tewaaraton 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxlaxlax

Re: Tewaaraton 2023

Post by laxlaxlax »

I think Scane’s performance tonight has definitely put her front of this group as we head into the final four.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

laxlaxlax wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:23 pm I think Scane’s performance tonight has definitely put her front of this group as we head into the final four.
If you assume it’s a 2 woman race Scane and Tyrell then absolutely esp with Tyrell going 0-6 today shooting. Scane is also a beast on the ride .
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

As far as the Tewaaraton committee is concerned, the biggest news yesterday was Izzy Scane getting back on track and scoring 7 goals along with three assists in a dominant win over Loyola. That was a statement performance, but IMO, not quite enough to cement the Tewy. Her competition was whittled down with JMU and its star player being eliminated from the tournament. Scane also benefited from Meghan Tyrell having a sub-par performance with 0 goals on 6 shots. EC had a nice day, but unless she does something truly spectacular, it is hard to imagine her passing her teammate. Jenn Medjid went 4 & 3 in a dominant BC win, but was nonetheless overshadowed by Scane.

The realistic scenario in which Scane doesn’t win is if Denver continues its undefeated campaign and “upsets” the Wildcats in Cary. Against the Pio’s defensive package and typical game plan, Scane is highly unlikely to score 7 goals again next Friday, although she will probably shoot a lot. That would set up a scenario in which Tyrell or Medjid could still pass her if they play very well in the final four and their team wins the title over the Cats.

To be clear, I am not rooting against Scane whiffing in the final four, since I think her body of work probably merits the award. If NU wins the ship, Scane wins the Tewaaraton. Just for discussion/debate, here are a couple of scenarios in which she does not win:

* Northwestern loses to Denver in the semis and Scane is held to 2 or fewer goals on <40% shooting
* Northwestern loses in the finals to BC or Syracuse and either Medjid or Tyrell is the hero of the game while Scane is face-guarded and is held to low scoring, lots of poor shots and a frustration yellow card.

Here are the updated stats on the finalists (minus Peterson) ranked in order of yesterday’s performance.

Scane
8-7 win over Michigan 1G 1A 10%SH 1TO 1YC
16-6 win over Loyola 7G 3A 54%SH 0TO
Tournament 8G 4A 35%SH 1TO
Season 89G 31A 47%SH 28TO

Medjid
9-7 win over Penn 2G 1A 67%SH 0TO
20-6 win over ND 4G 3A 44%SH 0TO
Tournament 6G 4A 50%SH 0TO
Season 77G 23A 52%SH 25TO

Coykendall
8-7 win over Michigan 2G 1A 50%SH 1TO 1YC
16-6 win over Loyola 3G 1A 60%SH 3TO
Tournament 5G 2A 56%SH 4TO
Season 53G 45A 53%SH 29TO

Tyrell
25-8 win over Hopkins 6G 3A 86%SH 1TO
13-7 win over JMU 0G 2A 0%SH 0TO
Tournament 6G 5A 46%SH 1TO
Season 55G 52A 48%SH 21TO
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Just a side note on the Tewaaraton final 5. All 5 are great offensive players, but I watched a few more closely yesterday and a few give close to no effort on the ride. The JMU girl was actually walking at times. Does it matter? It does in my opinion. Scane on the other hand is a monster on the ride.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Lax101 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:19 am Just a side note on the Tewaaraton final 5. All 5 are great offensive players, but I watched a few more closely yesterday and a few give close to no effort on the ride. The JMU girl was actually walking at times. Does it matter? It does in my opinion. Scane on the other hand is a monster on the ride.
I mean to the committee all that matters is goals . Imo.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Completely agree, the award needs to be renamed to Goal Scorers Award.
Not one of them could do what Olivia Adamson did yesterday, for example.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Can't disagree with the preference for goal-scorers, but Scane was pretty effective on the draw when KAH used her there in 2019 (and during the truncated 2020 season). Her job in 2023 is to score goals, set up goals, and ride. All of which she does exceptionally well.

My daughter had a teammate who was Lax Mag national player of the year in HS. She was an exceptional athlete and played attack: quick, speed, amazing hands/stick, could create space, outstanding shooter and finisher. From time-to-time and depending on the opposition, she also took the draw. A legendary HS coach from a rival local HS said to me about this player: "yeah, she's pretty much a one-trick pony" to which I replied: "pretty good trick."
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, and I'm not knocking any of these candidates, they're all good.
Five attackers on both sides kind of says it all though. There's so much
more to the game than scoring goals (and this is coming from an old
attackman). I've lost my interest in this award, it doesn't consider way
too many players who are key elements to a team. JMHO.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Belle Smith not being included sealed the deal on my feelings about this award and the committee. Just give it to Scane in February for Pete's sake.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can, you claim you aren't down talking Scane, but you have done exactly that a number of times this year, including today. You are doing what you complained time and time again that I did with North. (Cue the long list of comments.)

We get it that you don't want Scane to win the Tewaaraton. As a Boston College fan, you want Medjid to win. Medjid is a fantastic player. I've been a big fan of hers since I first saw her at Garden City. But she isn't the best player in the country this year, and she isn't going to win the award.

You provide convoluted and twisted logic to game out (unlikely) scenarios where Medjid might win and Scane might not. Utterly unconvincing.

The last two years you told us over and over again that draw controls were important in deciding the Tewaaraton winner. Why? Because your favored candidate took the draw and had good DC numbers. Now that the player whom you want to win has no draw numbers, you make no mention of draw controls even though one of the finalists has very good DC totals. And now you drop her from your discussion because you have pronounced that she can't win because her team lost yesterday.

The past two years you ignored the fact that one of the reasons North won the award was the hype machine. This year the machine is backing Scane. My free advice to you is to save your time and fingertips. Everyone in the country knows who is going to win the Tewaaraton. I bet you do as well. So why keep tilting at windmills?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:23 am Can, you claim you aren't down talking Scane, but you have done exactly that a number of times this year, including today. You are doing what you complained time and time again that I did with North. (Cue the long list of comments.)

We get it that you don't want Scane to win the Tewaaraton. As a Boston College fan, you want Medjid to win. Medjid is a fantastic player. I've been a big fan of hers since I first saw her at Garden City. But she isn't the best player in the country this year, and she isn't going to win the award.

You provide convoluted and twisted logic to game out (unlikely) scenarios where Medjid might win and Scane might not. Utterly unconvincing.

The last two years you told us over and over again that draw controls were important in deciding the Tewaaraton winner. Why? Because your favored candidate took the draw and had good DC numbers. Now that the player whom you want to win has no draw numbers, you make no mention of draw controls even though one of the finalists has very good DC totals. And now you drop her from your discussion because you have pronounced that she can't win because her team lost yesterday.

The past two years you ignored the fact that one of the reasons North won the award was the hype machine. This year the machine is backing Scane. My free advice to you is to save your time and fingertips. Everyone in the country knows who is going to win the Tewaaraton. I bet you do as well. So why keep tilting at windmills?
Totally agree ^
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Lax101 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:19 am Just a side note on the Tewaaraton final 5. All 5 are great offensive players, but I watched a few more closely yesterday and a few give close to no effort on the ride. The JMU girl was actually walking at times. Does it matter? It does in my opinion. Scane on the other hand is a monster on the ride.
+1, doesn't just separate her from this year's other finalists, but also separates her from previous year's winner.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:42 pm
+1, doesn't just separate her from this year's other finalists, but also separates her from previous year's winner.
She is the winner...high confidence.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

DMac wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:25 am Completely agree, the award needs to be renamed to Goal Scorers Award.
Not one of them could do what Olivia Adamson did yesterday, for example.
lol

Olivia Adamson had a great game yesterday, definitely. But I'm pretty sure each of the finalists has also had many great games. Do you REALLY want to make that comparison? Can Olivia Adamson do what she did yesterday more than once? Can she do what all the other finalists have done many times over the course of a season?

Maybe it seems like it's just a goal scorers award, but anyone who's actually watching Izzy Scane play can see that she is a threat pretty much anywhere on the field. Don't forget: Northwestern originally had her starting as a midfielder/defender at the beginning of her freshman year. She had 8 draw controls against Syracuse during February of that year, along with two goals and two ground balls. Northwestern didn't move her to attack until later in the season.

If Izzy Scane gets the award, I'm pretty sure it'll be because she does more than simply score goals.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'm not suggesting that Olivia is more deserving of the Goal Scorers...ooops, I mean T Award than Izzy is but you do understand my point, no?
The Tewaaraton Award.
I can give you an example of a "volume shooter" (think this is a synonym for ball hog or a wokeism for it) who does indeed shoot a lot with a capital L. Has virtually the same numbers for two consecutive years, lot of goals and barely double digit assists one year, didn't break double digits the next (yet, might happen). Was on a losing team one year and was HM AA, on a winning team the next and is a T Award finalist. This award goes to goal scorers on winning teams, lot of people overlooked, lot of phases of the game ignored. It is what it is.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

DMac wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:23 pm I'm not suggesting that Olivia is more deserving of the Goal Scorers...ooops, I mean T Award than Izzy is but you do understand my point, no?
The Tewaaraton Award.
I can give you an example of a "volume shooter" (think this is a synonym for ball hog or a wokeism for it) who does indeed shoot a lot with a capital L. Has virtually the same numbers for two consecutive years, lot of goals and barely double digit assists one year, didn't break double digits the next (yet, might happen). Was on a losing team one year and was HM AA, on a winning team the next and is a T Award finalist. This award goes to goal scorers on winning teams, lot of people overlooked, lot of phases of the game ignored. It is what it is.
I understand your point, yes. However, if Izzy Scane is the frontrunner and does end up winning, I'm not sure why you or anyone is making that particular complaint this season. She is clearly more than a ball-hogging goal scorer.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yikes folks. Goal scorers’ award? Yes, a goal scorer won the last two years. And, yes, a goal scorer will certainly win this year. But how many goals did the winner score in 2019?

It is not a goal scorers’ award. Sometimes a goal scorer wins. Sometimes not. It’s an award for the best player in the game that year. Sometimes there is disagreement about who that player is. Sometimes there is a general consensus as seems to be the case this year with one exception on this board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ultravisitor wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:31 pm
DMac wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:23 pm I'm not suggesting that Olivia is more deserving of the Goal Scorers...ooops, I mean T Award than Izzy is but you do understand my point, no?
The Tewaaraton Award.
I understand your point, yes. However, if Izzy Scane is the frontrunner and does end up winning, I'm not sure why you or anyone is making that particular complaint this season. She is clearly more than a ball-hogging goal scorer.
I suspect, as many others do, that Izzy will win it and I think she's deserving of it, she's an incredible player.
My beef is not with Izzy, it's with the selection committee. Ten attackers, five wlaxers, five mlaxers. There's
just too much more to the game(s) than just scoring goals and that is essentially what this award has become.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:40 pm Yikes folks. Goal scorers’ award? Yes, a goal scorer won the last two years. And, yes, a goal scorer will certainly win this year. But how many goals did the winner score in 2019?

It is not a goal scorers’ award. Sometimes a goal scorer wins. Sometimes not. It’s an award for the best player in the game that year. Sometimes there is disagreement about who that player is. Sometimes there is a general consensus as seems to be the case this year with one exception on this board.
The best player in the game didn’t win last year. The most visible , hyped player won. And I would say the trend is leaning towards offensive players as this years 5 attackers suggests.
njbill

Post by njbill »

We seem to get more information on the vote for a new Pope than we do about the workings of the Tewaaraton committee. At a minimum, it would be nice for them to release who got how many votes among the finalists when the winner is announced as well as, say, who came in 6th through 10th in the voting for the five finalists. I’m not holding my breath.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”