Miscellaneous Topics 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
MolonLaxe

Re: Miscellaneous Topics 2023

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:47 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:01 pm I just looked at my "Year End" email from IWLCA Recruits, which had a listing of the Top 3 most favorited programs on their site.

Here's the ranking.

#1. Clemson
#2. Duke
#3. Coastal Carolina University

I was a bit surprised.
Yeah. I was perplexed at #3. Last year it was
Clemson
UNC
Duke
I follow quite a few WLax programs and I have to admit, Coastal has a lot of really great videos and reels on the Gram. Showing the girls surfing, hanging out, etc. The beach is a draw and you get a solid football team to cheer for on Saturdays.

The other team that has great videos on socials is Clemson. It is no surprise they are holding down #1, as the lake life they show us appealing.

Both schools are using the water to their advantage. Both understand their target audience and they market it accordingly.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:16 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:01 pm I just looked at my "Year End" email from IWLCA Recruits, which had a listing of the Top 3 most favorited programs on their site.

Here's the ranking.

#1. Clemson
#2. Duke

I was a bit surprised.
Clemson
UNC
Duke
I follow quite a few WLax programs and I have to admit, Coastal has a lot of really great videos and reels on the Gram. Showing the girls surfing, hanging out, etc. The beach is a draw and you get a solid football team to cheer for on Saturdays.

The other team that has great videos on socials is Clemson. It is no surprise they are holding down #1, as the lake life they show us appealing.

Both schools are using the water to their advantage. Both understand their target audience and they market it accordingly.
Must be a punch to the gut when they get there and realize they spend about four days a year there. It’s an $60 round trip Uber ride to the beach.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Deacon022 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:39 pm

Here's the ranking.

#1. Clemson
#2. Duke

I was a bit surprised.
Clemson
UNC
Duke

Must be a punch to the gut when they get there and realize they spend about four days a year there. It’s an $60 round trip Uber ride to the beach.
It's also not the best beach. I grew up going to the MD-DE beaches and swam in that cold murky brown water I don't think SC is that big of a difference.
If your on the Gulf of Mexico or Miami that would be different.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

WLaxdad wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:45 am

Here's the ranking.

#1. Clemson
#2. Duke

I was a bit surprised.
Clemson
UNC
Duke

It's also not the best beach. I grew up going to the MD-DE beaches and swam in that cold murky brown water I don't think SC is that big of a difference.
I don’t think they mind when they are there. My son swims in it. But I was shocked when he said no one goes. Said it’s too much of a hassle. He goes sometimes someone has a car available and then they’ll go on a Saturday. But rarely does a large group go. Not many younger kids take their car to Coastal because the parking is terrible and the partying is outrageous. 😁
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Deacon022 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:58 am

Here's the ranking.

#1. Clemson
#2. Duke

I was a bit surprised.
Clemson
UNC
Duke

I don’t think they mind when they are there. My son swims in it. But I was shocked when he said no one goes. Said it’s too much of a hassle. He goes sometimes someone has a car available and then they’ll go on a Saturday. But rarely does a large group go. Not many younger kids take their car to Coastal because the parking is terrible and the partying is outrageous. 😁
Apparently this isn't an issue for the lax team--I know a few players families on the team. They do hit up the beach more frequently than people think. I guess it may vary for different students attending.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Here's the ranking.

#1. Clemson
#2. Duke

I was a bit surprised.
Clemson
UNC
Duke

I heard the same. My friend’s daughter says she rarely goes. It’s apparently too much of a hassle. They still do a good job with the Instagram making it seem that they are down there every weekend.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Here’s a miscellaneous topic
If Liberty ever becomes great at any sport it will be a bigger upset than Miracle on Ice. Had a conversation with my daughter about Liberty and why she should’ve taken their visit. She then told me the rules. 😳 it’s amazing they have sports.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Some of the rules she told me
-1230 weekend curfew
-No alcohol drinking at all regardless of age. Including home with your family
-If you are leaving off campus you have to fill out a permission slip and have to stay with a married couple. (What if your parents are divorced). What the heck
-Can't wear shorts or sweats. In the gym can’t show your midriff
-While the kids are at church on Wednesday, they have people checking their rooms

How does anyone go to this school in this day and age. She goes yeah dad, just what we want to do. Go to a school that has more rules than our parents.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:11 pm Some of the rules she told me
-1230 weekend curfew
-If you are leaving off campus you have to fill out a permission slip and have to stay with a married couple. (What if your parents are divorced). What the heck
-While the kids are at church on Wednesday, they have people checking their rooms

How does anyone go to this school in this day and age. She goes yeah dad, just what we want to do. Go to a school that has more rules than our parents.
Different strokes, but definitely narrows the pool. My daughter had a club soccer teammate who went there ... it was a great fit. FYI Field hockey team is a top 10 program and made the final four in 2022 and they have a what many would say is a very respectable football program.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:37 pm
Relax77 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:11 pm Some of the rules she told me
-1230 weekend curfew

Different strokes, but definitely narrows the pool. My daughter had a club soccer teammate who went there ... it was a great fit. FYI Field hockey team is a top 10 program and made the final four in 2022 and they have a what many would say is a very respectable football program.
I guess that’s impressive. I’ll have to put Liberty into my Army Navy category. The pool is much shallower. Amazing how they compete. But those rules are 😜
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:11 pm -While the kids are at church on Wednesday, they have people checking their rooms
For what? Something specific or anything from a long list of banned items?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

ultravisitor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:48 pm
Relax77 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:11 pm -While the kids are at church on Wednesday, they have people checking their rooms
😁. Sit down. To make sure their beds are made. The room is clean. No trash. No alcohol. Things like that. She just showed me a tik tok that says most of the kids leave the school engaged. They call it “ring by spring”. What the heck
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:14 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:48 pm
😁. Sit down. To make sure their beds are made. The room is clean. No trash. No alcohol. Things like that.
My bed was never made while I was in college (and maybe not so often even now). I would have been in all sorts of trouble all the time if I had gone to that school.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:02 pm Here’s a miscellaneous topic
If Liberty ever becomes great at any sport it will be a bigger upset than Miracle on Ice. Had a conversation with my daughter about Liberty and why she should’ve taken their visit. She then told me the rules. 😳 it’s amazing they have sports.
This may be an unpopular take, but Liberty isn't a real school--I'd put it up there with the diploma mills of the world. They want to be SMU but they will never be SMU.

I said what I said lol
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:47 pm
Relax77 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:02 pm Here’s a miscellaneous topic
This may be an unpopular take, but Liberty isn't a real school--I'd put it up there with the diploma mills of the world. They want to be SMU but they will never be SMU.

I said what I said lol
Agree with the “unpopular take.”
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:36 am

Here's the ranking.

#1. Clemson
#2. Duke

I was a bit surprised.
Clemson
UNC
Duke

Apparently this isn't an issue for the lax team--I know a few players families on the team. They do hit up the beach more frequently than people think. I guess it may vary for different students attending.
100% spot on - the lax team is there a lot. The coaching staff does a great job with the team building activities.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Sounds like the beach is a great reason to get off campus and get a little freedom. The coolers aren't checked at the beach either.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Just read the article on UMD by US Lax Magazine and have 2 notes. First, they said that Lexi Dupack had over 300 goals at CALVERT HALL. Calvert Hall is an all boys school in Towson MD and Lexi Dupack went to Broadneck HS in Annapolis, MD. I know mistakes happen but how do they list that she went to an all boys private HS. Mistakes seem to happen much more frequently in articles in the lacrosse world and it irks me. Next, I consider myself a UMD, but I can say with complete truth that they have done absolutely nothing to be worthy of being ranked #6. It is way too high of a ranking and they should be back in the 10-15 range before they prove themselves.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Doesn't surprise me in the least--on either account.

Lot of cursory glances passing for proofreading these days. The editor is either lazy, or doesn't want to offend anyone by telling them to go back and recheck the facts for their piece.

As for their slightly inflated preseason ranking (I have them at #7 before Notre Dame, Florida and Loyola because I still think they're better than those teams; but after James Madison who I have at #6). Beyond that, former Terp Taylor Cummings is a writer for the publication. And obviously, there are still many Twerp genuflectors out there who still think this is the Maryland of the last decade. (More on that later...)
user1020

Post by user1020 »

user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:52 am Just read the article on UMD by US Lax Magazine and have 2 notes. First, they said that Lexi Dupack had over 300 goals at CALVERT HALL. Calvert Hall is an all boys school in Towson MD and Lexi Dupack went to Broadneck HS in Annapolis, MD. I know mistakes happen but how do they list that she went to an all boys private HS. Mistakes seem to happen much more frequently in articles in the lacrosse world and it irks me. Next, I consider myself a UMD, but I can say with complete truth that they have done absolutely nothing to be worthy of being ranked #6. It is way too high of a ranking and they should be back in the 10-15 range before they prove themselves.
ridiculing on grammar and accuracy and I forgot to add fan after UMD🤣 maybe I’m too harsh

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”