SUNYAC 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
BobbyBooze

SUNYAC 2019

Post by BobbyBooze »

Wow still cannot believe laxpower is gone... Laxpower was an integral part of my lacrosse world during my high school, college, and post grad years. Sad to see it go. RIP Laxpower.

Here is the link to Brockport's 2019 schedule:

https://gobrockport.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax

Brockport has been making huge strides in their Athletic program the past few years and seem to be building towards a bright future. I might even go as far to say that Brockport has the best athletics facilities in the entire SUNYAC...The Golden Eagles lost a lot of key players the last year and it will be interesting to see if and how they can overcome that. I hope some of the backups from last year realize the opportunity is there to step up. With that being said, I also hope the Coach Wineburg and co. have some good freshman and transfers coming in this year to keep the program trending in an upwards progression. It could potentially be a long year for the Golden Eagles but I am going to keep my spirits high.

Brockport's alumni game is slated for 9/29/18. As of right now, I am not sure who they are scrimmaging in the fall but will update when I find out...

SUNY New Paltz found their new coach:

https://nphawks.com/news/2018/8/8/dwayn ... coach.aspx

I am interested to see how the New Paltz recruiting situation works out for them now that they are the closest SUNYAC school to the Island...Time will tell.

If anyone has any other fall schedule scrimmage updates for any team in SUNYACs please post them here!
GreyBear

Re: SUNYAC 2019

Post by GreyBear »

Me too! I still remember the day I could log my commitment in the database and how good that felt to see my name on LaxPower. Crazy to think it no longer exists. Essentially learned how to string my first stick in middle school between the old IL forums and LaxPower.

On to the important stuff... I'm hoping my Bears can start getting back into the top 4 of the league, we definitely have a tradition of peaks and valleys, let's pray this is the year they turn it around again. I've only heard of one Limestone transfer as far as new players go. I will report what I see/hear from alumni weekend next month!

Gotta think YAC's will look something like this at this moment:

1. Cortland
2. Platty (god that hurts to type)
3. Genny
4. Oswego (Could swap with Genny imo)
5. Potsdam (Could be homerism lol, but definitely have some solid guys back)
6. Brockport
7. Oneonta (really depends if there is a culture change)
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

The New Paltz hire is an excellent one! More on that later.
BobbyBooze

Post by BobbyBooze »

The Brockport alumni game was held this past Saturday with the alumni team coming away with the victory.

This Brockport team is very young. A few good freshman, but can't really judge how they will be until I see them in game action.

The defense, which kept the team in games last year, lost their 2 best poles and their starting goalie. That unit will not be as good this year but I am hoping they can surprise me.

The Brockport offense averaged a little over 5 goals per game last year. Unless there is a dramatic uptick in goal scoring this year I don't know if the Golden Eagles will be as competitve as they were last year in the YACs

With their losses on defense, their low scoring output last year and the new shot clock rule, I am predicting a growing year for the Golden Eagles this year. I am not sure if this team will win many games. I think they will be on the outside looking in when the SUNYAC playoffs come around. I am hoping that I am wrong but right now that is the way I see it.

Looks like Corltand beat OCC 12-8 and lost to Le Moyne 11-3 this weekend in the room2smile tournament held in Syracuse at Le Moyne. DId anyone catch any of those games?
GreyBear

Post by GreyBear »

BobbyBooze wrote:The Brockport alumni game was held this past Saturday with the alumni team coming away with the victory.

This Brockport team is very young. A few good freshman, but can't really judge how they will be until I see them in game action.

The defense, which kept the team in games last year, lost their 2 best poles and their starting goalie. That unit will not be as good this year but I am hoping they can surprise me.

The Brockport offense averaged a little over 5 goals per game last year. Unless there is a dramatic uptick in goal scoring this year I don't know if the Golden Eagles will be as competitve as they were last year in the YACs

With their losses on defense, their low scoring output last year and the new shot clock rule, I am predicting a growing year for the Golden Eagles this year. I am not sure if this team will win many games. I think they will be on the outside looking in when the SUNYAC playoffs come around. I am hoping that I am wrong but right now that is the way I see it.

Looks like Corltand beat OCC 12-8 and lost to Le Moyne 11-3 this weekend in the room2smile tournament held in Syracuse at Le Moyne. DId anyone catch any of those games?
Ouch.

It's crazy how teams drop up and down like they do besides Cortland.

Potsdam won their Alumni game, however, they are on about the same level as last year and some of the younger guys had to jet before playing so they could well have lost on another day. Hopefully Berkman can get a few impact guys in before the spring or they might join the Golden Eagles in another growing pain year.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

Wakey-wakey SUNYAC Nation, play begins in a couple of weeks. Any news to report that might impact the season?
BobbyBooze

Post by BobbyBooze »

Brockport scrimmaged RIT and Roberts Wesleyan yesterday. From what I was able to gather, Brockport did lose to RIT but they looked better than anticipated so I guess that is a positive. The games were back to back so the starters did not see much of the field against Robert Wesleyan as the reserves received the majority of the playing time in that one. I do not have any concrete scores or else I would have included them.

Season creeping up quick. Most of the SUNYAC rosters have not even been posted online yet. Always interesting to see if there were any late/unexpected pickups by any of the SUNYAC squads.
SpringLax

Post by SpringLax »

Cortland schedule is unreal.
Genny probably has the 2nd best schedule
The others not so much.
BobbyBooze

Post by BobbyBooze »

Cortland always has a loaded schedule so that is expected. Geneseo has RIT, St. Larry, Salisbury and Ithaca on their schedule. Basically 4 guaranteed losses but to be the big dog you have got to be willing to play the big dogs. Geneseo will definitely be prepared come SUNYAC play.
SpringLax

Post by SpringLax »

Is it true Genny has a light roster this year? no more than 20 showing on the roster.
BobbyBooze

Post by BobbyBooze »

Not sure what you are looking at as they seem to have around 40 guys on their roster as of today.

http://geneseoknights.com/sports/mlax/2018-19/roster
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

Looks like it's Potsdam and Canton still yet to update their rosters... must be the cold.
BobbyBooze

Post by BobbyBooze »

Brockport @ Alfred on Wed 2/27 has been postponed due to a emergency medical situation with the Alfred Head Coach. Wishing a speedy recovery for Coach Lockner. Brockport will be back in action at home on Saturday at 2pm against Clarkson. Looking forward to this matchup as I have no idea what to expect from my Golden Eagles...

Geneseo beats SUNY Maritime 14-13 this past Saturday. Didn't get a chance to watch it as I was in Vermont shredding some gnar, but looks like it was a close game the whole way through. Stats seem to be pretty even...Both teams look to have struggled clearing the ball but that is expected in early season games. Here is a link to the stats: http://geneseoknights.com/sports/mlax/2 ... 3_545s.xml

Castleton-Plattsburgh game this past weekend was also postponed as Castleton's field was unplayable.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

So, Potsdam played lacrosse today.
BobbyBooze

Post by BobbyBooze »

Brockport fell at home to Clarkson 14-6. The score is a bit misleading as the statistics were relatively close in all categories...

Shots: Clarkson 30/23
Brockport 28/14

Saves: Clarkson 8
Brockport 9

Turnovers: Clarkson 20
Brockport 29

Clears: Clarkson 12/17
Brockport 16/17

GB's: Clarkson 13
Brockport 20

Faceoffs Won: Clarkson 6
Brockport 16

The Golden Eagles dominated at the faceoff x and out groundballed their counterparts, which is usually a receipe for winning. Shots were close but Clarkson put 23/30 shots on nets whereas Brockport only put 14/28 on net. Brockport had far too many unforced errors/turnovers that lead directly to Clarkson goals. The losses on defense and in net from last year were evident as Clarkson exploited the defense and goalie to the tune of 14 goals. The biggest issue the Golden Eagles are facing this year is their goaltending. Goals were being scored from 15 yards out . Body language of the goaltender was not good after goals. Have to stay positive and have a short memory out there. The Golden Eagle defense was bumping up field in few transition opportunities for Clarkson that directly led to goals.

Offensively Brockport was only able to muster up 6 goals. Offense was a struggle for the Golden Eagles last year but they had a great Defense and Goalie to fall back on. Those luxuries are gone now and the offense is going to have to able to play smarter and committ less turnovers. All in all, it was typical 1st game with many turnovers. The snow was really coming down as it the visibility (at least from the video stream was rough). There is a lot that can be improved on and I have no doubt that the Golden Eagles will improve throughout the year just have to stick to the process.
BobbyBooze

Post by BobbyBooze »

Postdam loses 23-8 to Fisher

Cortland loses to Tufts 19-15

Oswego beats Hartwick 6-5

Plattsburgh beats Skidmore 10-8

Brockport loses to Clarkson 14-6

Geneseo loses to Ithaca 11-9

Oneonta beats Wentworth 11-10

Geneseo is going to be good this year. I will hold off judgement on all teams until they have a bigger sample size to pull from but I think Geneseo has a chance to make some noise in YACs this year.

Cortland has a guantlet of a schedule...They may not be able to get in with an at large bid if they don't start beating a few of these ranked opponents so their only option may be to win the YACs outright. If history tells us anything, it is that Cortland with be in the YAC final and will have a shot at the automatic bid.

Plattsburgh beats Skidmore 10-8 after losing to them 14-6 last year. Platt seems to be always be in the mix to at least make it to YAC final and I think that will be same this year

Oswego also is trending upwards this year and is going to look to make it 2 years in a row making YAC playoffs and had a nice 6-5 win over a good Hartwick team.

Oneonta is 2-0 after beating Bard and Wentworth. I am not too familiar with Wentworth so I cannot comment on that win but they are playing Skidmore tomorrow and that should give us a better idea on how they are this year as Skidmore has already played Plattsburgh

Potsdam ran into the "wagon" that is Saint John Fisher. I put wagon in quotes because it is still early but as of right now they are putting up big numbers offensively (Fisher has scored 43 Goals in their 1st 2 games of the season.) I will hold off judgement on Potsdam until they have played a few more games but Friday's result was a bit alarming as Potsdam-Fisher games have been much closer in the past.
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

Bobby, it looks to be a long season for you and the Brockport faithful. 59 turnovers, 0-10 on man up and out scored 32 to 12 in the first two games. Looks like the coach needs to make some offensive adjustments. I hear the guys can't pass, catch and are taking some crazy shots. Might be time to have some of the freshman step in at some point quick to see what they can do. I believe Nazareth had 3 freshman with hat tricks. If you can't hold onto the ball on the offensive end and take quality shots, that puts a ton of pressure on the defense. Only bright spot is the X.
BobbyBooze

Post by BobbyBooze »

Brockport-Naz was switched to yesterday most likely due to the impending cold temps in WNY.

Brockport lost yesterday 18-6 to Naz. It pains me to say this but it looks like the Golden Eagles have regressed greatly. The Golden Eagles are being outscored 32-12 through 2 games and with Fisher coming up on schedule that number is most likely going to grow. The Golden Eagles have Keuka up next and I am not sure what to expect.

Brockport was outscored 6-0 in the 2nd and 8-1 in 4th. I guess the silver lining in this one was that if only the 1st and 3rd quarter were counted Brockport would have held a 5-4 lead ;). Defintely going to be a growing year for the Golden Eagles. As of right now Potsdam and Brockport will most likely be on the outside looking in when it comes to playoffs. It is still early, the Golden Eagles must stay the course put these games behind them and work on improving for conference play. I still have faith!

Some other good SUNYAC action today with Plattsburgh taking on Clarkson and Oneonta taking on Skidmore.
BobbyBooze

Post by BobbyBooze »

Whatyagonnado-

Definitely looks to be a rough year for the Golden Eagles. 59 Turnovers through 2 games and outscored 32-12 is very telling. I didn't get a chance to watch the game yesterday because I was unaware it was switched from Tuesday to Monday, so I can't comment on the crazy shot taking. Obviously if you have 59 turnovers through 2 games a lot of that has to do with throwing and catching. I do believe that if the coaching staff hasn't been putting freshman in the games yet, then they must believe that they are not ready for game action. Unfortunately with the first 2 results, changes and adjustments are going to be made. The Golden Eagles just do not have as much talent as in years past. Hopefully they can come together, right the ship and improve enough to be a factor in conference play. Still a lot of season left, nowhere to go but up.
SpringLax

Post by SpringLax »

Platty and Oneonta playing in 20 degree weather, yikes feel bad for those recruiters. Coaches get those kids down south during break, get out of the Tundra.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”