Big 10

D1 Womens Lacrosse
suffolk

Big 10

Post by suffolk »

The Big10 is just not a good women lacrosse conference right now. Today was a particularly bad day. Drexel over Hopkins by 5, JMU over Ohio State by 9, Loyola over Penn State by 4. This season Rutgers has a bad loss to Army and a loss to a Princeton team that got beat handily by Yale today. Michigan has three loses already.

Besides Northwestern and Maryland the conference looks very suspect. Both Maryland and Northwestern should roll through the conference, and Maryland does not look like a force for the national title right now. The Terps maybe the most disapointing team country so far.
Carolinagrad

Re: Big 10

Post by Carolinagrad »

I agree the B10 is down. In fact I will say being in the B10 as opposed to their former conference the ACC could be hurting Maryland’s recruiting. The ACC is a better conference. Schools like Stonybrook and JMU will likely be ranked higher than Maryland at the end of the season.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

This is an interesting hypothesis. I will add a wrinkle … Patriot League, AAC, and Acc are on ESPN, the biggest and most prolific sports network/content provider in the US. Big10 is not a part of as many providers and does not include big 10+ if the main network is part of your cable package … have to pay extra. PAC 12 would absolutely benefit from more eyeballs that ESPN could bring them.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Good grief.. can you imagine these Ads when UCLA and USC join?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=khVhVfgZNz4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JCkoA6qvNU

I think the B1G will eventually poach Washington, Colorado, Stanford, Cal, Texas, Florida and ND.

24 schools 120 million per school, Coast to Coast.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:45 am Good grief.. can you imagine these Ads when UCLA and USC join?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=khVhVfgZNz4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JCkoA6qvNU

I think the B1G will eventually poach Washington, Colorado, Stanford, Cal, Texas, Florida and ND.

24 schools 120 million per school, Coast to Coast.
Great womans lax group. UMD, Hopkins, Penn State, Rutgers, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, Colorado, USC, ND.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^^ forgot Stanford.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

For now The B10 is looking to add Oregon and Washington. Each school will get half the revenue the existing schools are going to get. It would still be more than what they would be getting if they stayed in the Pac 12. Oregon does not raise the B10 lacrosse profile. USC and Stanford would.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

suffolk wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:18 am For now The B10 is looking to add Oregon and Washington. Each school will get half the revenue the existing schools are going to get. It would still be more than what they would be getting if they stayed in the Pac 12. Oregon does not raise the B10 lacrosse profile. USC and Stanford would.
Washington and Oregon are talking phased in over 5 years to full share. The B1G members aren’t going to accept that. Washington and Oregon will lower the members payout. Only Florida, Texas, ND, Florida State and only one of Stanford or Cal bring additional value.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

MHver3
@MHver3
·
Mar 4
Checked with my source regarding B10 proposing half share for Oregon Washington (per Colin Cowherd). My source says B10 won’t expand until at least new commissioner has been hired but this option was discussed at a recent B10 CEO meeting after Oregon Washington approached B10 again.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Scane is day-to-day with her injury. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2023/03/0 ... end-sweep/
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:36 am Scane is day-to-day with her injury. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2023/03/0 ... end-sweep/
I know another poster mentioned this but I am still not seeing the NU-SBU game Friday night - only live stats . Looking forward to watching it I really hope some network is streaming it !
njbill

Post by njbill »

Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:48 pm Looks like it is on BIG10+.

https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/sched ... 2023-03-10
Excellent thx!
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Sounds as though Izzy Scane will be back on the field for SBU:

"Scane leads her team in points and goals, with 33 and 27, respectively. Scane will face the Seawolves on more than two weeks’ rest and will likely look to make up for lost time."

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2023/03/0 ... ony-brook/
watcherinthewoods

What is the over/under on Bokker and her $210K salary? She has been HC for 3 years ... maybe a little mulligan for COVID?
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Conference play started this week with Michigan's rivalry win over Ohio State and Penn State's win over Rutgers in Nashville, and the three other teams have their conference opener this week. Right now, Northwestern is the clear favorite, and it looks like Ohio State is in the cellar. What I'm wondering is how it will shake out 2-6. I would put MD second at the moment, though I think this weekend will be telling to see just what the hierarchy is at this point. Is it Northwestern then a gap and then MD then a gap, or are the Terps on a different level than the middle of the conference? As much as they have struggled this year, their three losses are against teams a combined 22-1, with JMU's one loss being to undefeated UNC. I'm sure Rutgers will be motivated to send MD home unhappy after the Terps methodically dismantled them twice last year. Speaking of Rutgers, Meghan Ball has been awesome so far this year with 27 GB, 27 CT and 50 DC in just 7 (!!) games.

Of course, there's also UNC-Northwestern this weekend, which is the game of the week. Looks like a pretty cold but sunny day, but I'm guessing they'll play in Ryan Fieldhouse. Will be curious to see how UNC goes about defending Scane, but should be an opportunity for some other Northwestern players to step up like they did against BC.
academylaxer

Post by academylaxer »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:48 pm What is the over/under on Bokker and her $210K salary? She has been HC for 3 years ... maybe a little mulligan for COVID?
Thinking the same thing. Team has not performed well since her arrival and her recruiting classes are not very good. missed an opportunity with this years loaded transfer portal especially at the goalie position. Not much hope for this season but guess time will tell but right now OS is a no better than a mid tier program.
watcherinthewoods

jff97 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:50 pm Conference play started this week with Michigan's rivalry win over Ohio State and Penn State's win over Rutgers in Nashville, and the three other teams have their conference opener this week. Right now, Northwestern is the clear favorite, and it looks like Ohio State is in the cellar. What I'm wondering is how it will shake out 2-6. I would put MD second at the moment, though I think this weekend will be telling to see just what the hierarchy is at this point. Is it Northwestern then a gap and then MD then a gap, or are the Terps on a different level than the middle of the conference? As much as they have struggled this year, their three losses are against teams a combined 22-1, with JMU's one loss being to undefeated UNC. I'm sure Rutgers will be motivated to send MD home unhappy after the Terps methodically dismantled them twice last year. Speaking of Rutgers, Meghan Ball has been awesome so far this year with 27 GB, 27 CT and 50 DC in just 7 (!!) games.

Of course, there's also UNC-Northwestern this weekend, which is the game of the week. Looks like a pretty cold but sunny day, but I'm guessing they'll play in Ryan Fieldhouse. Will be curious to see how UNC goes about defending Scane, but should be an opportunity for some other Northwestern players to step up like they did against BC.
I have been cheering for Rutgers since Lehman took over, but they have not been meeting expectations this season. Looked absolutely horrible vs. Vanderbilt and just squeaked the W. Some great players (Ball, Spillis, and a decent GK) and a good coach but not executing.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Think the NU/UNC game will be a classic. NU still figuring the Draw will be an advantage for UNC. Goaltending I think may favor NU for first time in a long time. Biggest edge I think will be on offense, where it feels like the script has flipped a bit. UNC seems to be more of a dodging team this year and NU seems to get a lot of assisted goals, when Scane isn’t torching defenders 1V1. The one thing I will guarantee is that if somehow NU gets out to a big lead, they will not take their foot off the gas.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

The crowd should be good for NU/UNC, too. The game was already sold out as of a day or two ago.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”