SSC

D2 Mens Lacrosse
BrooklynLax

SSC

Post by BrooklynLax »

The SSC seems to have 2 front runners with 2 dark horses. Obviously, Tampa continues to dominate the south with a convincing win against LR but curious to hear thoughts on Rollins after their 3 top 20 wins (all on the road in the Carolinas). The first game against Limestone was evident that it was the first game but they improved on the unforced turnovers in the next 2 wins. Will this be the year that they continue to improve until May with a chance at an NCAA bid? Fit has a strange start to their schedule with a pair of 2 week breaks to start and FSC seems to be on the outside looking in but is a program that usually gets better as the season goes on. Predictions?
D2fan

Re: SSC

Post by D2fan »

I personally think that if Rollins takes care of business on their west coast swing, they are probably in the NCAA playoffs (Barring a massive collapse). They have been great so far.

I am expecting the D2 Southern game of the year on 4/1 when Tampa is at Rollins.

Florida Southern has a lot of ground to make up. They lost to both Anderson and Limestone which will be significant during selection.
BrooklynLax

Post by BrooklynLax »

I agree with you about the 4/1 game. Rollins is 0-13 vs Tampa all time. Would be a great time for a win.

Rollins fans should be rooting for Limestone Anderson & Newberry to make some noise in the SAC. Also has anyone heard what happened with the coaching situation at Lynn? Was a program that was on the rise but this seems to hinder their development
Laxfan00

Post by Laxfan00 »

Rollins allegedly beat a Tampa team in the fall that wasn’t at full strength. Will be a great game when they meet.
BrooklynLax

Post by BrooklynLax »

Did anyone watch the Tampa game? Had to look twice when I saw that score, curious to as how it happened.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

I watched some of it. Good defense by Frostburg. Think they had the edge on faceoffs also. Just played well.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

Tampa trailed most of the game...by as many as four at points.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

Does anyone have any insight into the Nova Southeastern situation. Seems like we should have heard something by now?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:05 pm Does anyone have any insight into the Nova Southeastern situation. Seems like we should have heard something by now?
Heard from a few of my college coaching buddies.. They dont want to play D2. So they're trying to go D1. Would be huge for the state of Florida.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

Big step with travel....$$$$$? But it would give Jacksonville a so-called travel partner. Should be interesting to see what happens?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:54 pm Big step with travel....$$$$$? But it would give Jacksonville a so-called travel partner. Should be interesting to see what happens?
My thoughts exactly. It'd make sense why we haven't heard anything about a start date. Just that they want to add lacrosse. Definitely interesting.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

Switching gears a little: What SSC teams really underperformed this season? And what Coaches (AC or HC) might be moving on? I am sure a few might be looking at the Nova job. Thoughts?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:36 pm Switching gears a little: What SSC teams really underperformed this season? And what Coaches (AC or HC) might be moving on? I am sure a few might be looking at the Nova job. Thoughts?
Granted they all play tough schedules- but Saint Leo, Lynn and Florida Tech all took a step back in my eyes. ERU and PBA are ERU and PBA.

Saint Leo had an odd season. Losses to UAH and Montevallo. Played a 2goal game with a new Flagler program... and then doubled up Fl Tech 16-8 and Lynn 20-10. Squeaked into SSC playoffs.

Florida Tech didn't beat anyone too impressive and barely beat Lynn 13-12. Losses to LR, Tampa 2x, Mesa, Rollins. Last game of the season against Rollins it was a 3goal loss so they kept it close but couldn't beat anyone worth mentioning outside of Lynn.

Lynn was probably the most disappointing, but I will say they look worse on paper. The 20-10 SLU season ending loss stings, but they played a few solid teams pretty tough. Newberry by 2, Westminster by 4, and Rollins by 4. I will say they have a new coach, but they probably underperformed the most of the 3.

Not sure about HC's/AC's moving on but I'd imagine we'll see some things shake up...
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

I would agree with your aseesment of the teams for the most part. Did Lynn remove the interim tag from Miller? Whoever leads that program will have an uphill battle. The end of the season beat down by SLU is a tough one to sleep on all summer. FIT situation looks to be the most unstable and questionable to me. Second year coach with players from previous coach departing due to graduation, the college's directions looks a little unclear and the fact that all except one AC was from the previous staff, has a potential to trend downward. SLU has been trending downward ever since they played in the NC. ERU has showed steady improvement and and seems to be drawing players from better programs around the state. PBA Administration has not really shown any real commitment in the program based on their last hire of coaches, so they are always fighting for that one conference win. Tough place to recruit players to come and play at.Tampa and Rollins will stick to the D1 transfer portal plan and sprinkle in high level recruits around them, so far it's proven to be sustainable. Things could be getting a little stale among some of these programs, might be time to change things up. I see this conference as a landing spot of a lot of talented players.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

I've met Coach Wims on the recruiting trail. Have a couple buddies that have played with/for him. Awesome dude. Just not sure how it'll all pan out down there. This is ERU's 4th complete season, not including COVID. Typically new programs reach a peak at that first graduating class (4th year) but I didn't see ERU make that jump. This is why I am so/so on the team. Daytona beach is sweet though.

Miller appears to just be listed as "Head Coach," so I assuming he is there to stay. I think that it's a tough sell for a school mainly because of price and limited schollies. Tuition + Room/Board is putting you at $60k plus. I had a friend go here (not play lax) and she loved it. I think it's safe to say Boca is a fun place to party.

FIT, I forgot that they're going through all of these changes. I think they're in for a tough time as well.

Rollins/Tampa can live and die on the Portal. Obviously, UT won last year in incredible fashion, I think they'll be back at the top next year with their next wave of transfers. I am curious to see if Rollins remains as relevant as this year. Not even #1, just make it back to NCAA regionals.
UpstateTransplant

Post by UpstateTransplant »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:32 am I would agree with your aseesment of the teams for the most part. Did Lynn remove the interim tag from Miller? Whoever leads that program will have an uphill battle. The end of the season beat down by SLU is a tough one to sleep on all summer. FIT situation looks to be the most unstable and questionable to me. Second year coach with players from previous coach departing due to graduation, the college's directions looks a little unclear and the fact that all except one AC was from the previous staff, has a potential to trend downward. SLU has been trending downward ever since they played in the NC. ERU has showed steady improvement and and seems to be drawing players from better programs around the state. PBA Administration has not really shown any real commitment in the program based on their last hire of coaches, so they are always fighting for that one conference win. Tough place to recruit players to come and play at.Tampa and Rollins will stick to the D1 transfer portal plan and sprinkle in high level recruits around them, so far it's proven to be sustainable. Things could be getting a little stale among some of these programs, might be time to change things up. I see this conference as a landing spot of a lot of talented players.
Lynn AD left for a new job, heard they have been cutting funding for all their programs for last few years, so they may slip once again.

I see St Leo falling furthest based on the financial challenges of the school and their AD just retired, they cut coaching roles and many other positions on campus. Even heard they turned around some teams before this announcement https://www.highereddive.com/news/saint ... statements.

I saw this article posted a while back about FIT getting new turf game and practice field (no longer in that confined old football field) and saw on social they broke ground so it’s confirmed, so looks like they are increasing support of the lax programs https://floridatechsports.com/news/2023 ... ields.aspx

Also heard they have more newcomers coming in than they lost (including some big transfers), so I see a big rise.

Totally agree that PBA and ERU should stay about the same, and you forgot FSC but they should be about the same as well.

You are spot on with Tampa and Rollins living off the transfer portal, but that will be drying out as all of these extra Covid years will finally expire. But that might have been Tampa’s regression this year never getting all those transfers to fully mesh.

Summer Prediction:
UT
FIT
RC
FSC
ERU
LU
SLU
PBA
LI_lax2

Post by LI_lax2 »

Not for nothing, but you do realize Saint Leo is graduating virtually nobody from this years 4th place finish team? Reigning rookie of the year is back, along with 8 of their top 10 point getters from an offense that was top-10 in the country past two seasons. Goaltending will be their biggest obstacle, but the rest of that team is young, fast, and has playoff experience after this spring.

1. Tampa
2. Rollins
3. SLU
4. FSC
5. Lynn
6. FIT
7. ERU
8. PBA

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”