Funny, Unique or Strange News Items

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Funny, Unique or Strange News Items

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:49 am Cow on the loose!

https://www.13abc.com/video/2023/05/22/ ... -michigan/
Reminds me of a story some kids did as a HS prank. Tagged 2 cows and let them loose in the HS, cow one had a spray pinted number 1 on his side and cow two had a spray painted number 3 on its side. Story has it, they tore the school upside down searching for cow 2, which never existed. They also dragged had one climb up the stairs....b/c cows can not go down steps unless forced to do so. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^funny!

Reminds me of pranks played on yokels who traveled to the Midwestern big cities ~ they would be told to hold on tight to your luggage and watch for stampeding buffaloes on the airport tarmac. Some fell for it but eventually the gag went a bit stale.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

watch this gem of a video:

https://youtu.be/_3v5HUWbE_s

👏
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

One ticket winner in Florida for 1.6 billion: https://abc7ny.com/mega-millions-august ... New%20York
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

sloth bear thinks he's King of the Hill until confronted by tiger:

https://www.repubblica.it/la-zampa/2023 ... 412128533/

bear realizes that discretion is the better part of valor :lol:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

this global warming thing is getting out of hand - our annual Marathon CANCELLED due to excessive heat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BamYMSbRwtA

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

We've had lots of street construction going on lately which has disrupted traffic and cause massive bus delays. Happened to me again yesterday. To make matters worse, a bus refused to stop for me and just kept going though, in truth, I had been late to the stop thanks to my previous bus. Then when I went to what used to be another bus stop, there were signs showing that it was closed but did not indicate as to where you are to go for the next bus. I was so frustrated that I screamed out WHERE IS THE F____ BUS STOP? A guy heard me from about 100 feet away and showed where the d@mn thing was. I thanked him and found it about 200 feet away in the next block.

D@mn! These buses are getting screwier every day. That's City life for ya.

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I just heard some of the demo from a John Lennon song remixed to allegedly be the last Beatles single. It is a truly dreadful song. I guess if your trying to milk the Beatles money tree it makes some sense. This song is absolutely horrible. Now and then is a recording that should have been left in the vault forever.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Goat power! in Lake Wobegone:

https://www.kare11.com/video/news/local ... 53f8339284

Goats eat weeds and other stuff on state Capitol grounds and add natural fertilizer. "These unique employees were hard at work eating buckthorn, aspen, thistle and other weeds."

Brooklyn

Re: Unique News

Post by Brooklyn »

Unique news - statue of traitor Robert E Lee to be melted down:

Charlottesville's Lee statue meets its end, in a 2,250-degree furnace

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ate-statue
https://www.npr.org/2023/10/26/12086036 ... e-virginia

It was a choice to melt down Robert E. Lee. But it would have been a choice to keep him intact, too. ... So the statue of the Confederate general that once stood in Charlottesville — the one that prompted the deadly “Unite the Right” rally in 2017 — was now being cut into fragments and dropped into a furnace, dissolving into a sludge of glowing bronze.

Six years ago, groups with ties to the Confederacy had sued to stop the monument from being taken down. Torch-bearing white nationalists descended on the Virginia college town to protest its removal, and one man drove his car through a crowd of counterprotesters, killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer and injuring 35 others.

The statue’s defenders more recently sought to block the city from handing Lee over to Charlottesville’s Black history museum, which proposed a plan to repurpose the metal. In a lawsuit, those plaintiffs suggested the monument should remain intact or be turned into Civil War-style cannons. But on Saturday the museum went ahead with its plan in secret at this small Southern foundry, in a town and state The Washington Post agreed not to name because of participants’ fears of violence.

The Robert E. Lee statue in Charlottesville was the focal point of the deadly Unite the Right rally in 2017. (Michael S. Williamson/The Washington Post)

“Well, they can’t put Humpty Dumpty back together again,” said Andrea Douglas, the museum’s executive director, as she watched pieces of oxidized metal descend into the furnace. “There will be no tape for that.” ... “No cannons,” added Jalane Schmidt, a University of Virginia religious studies professor standing beside her. ... Swords Into Plowshares, a project led by the two women, will turn bronze ingots made from molten Lee into a new piece of public artwork to be displayed in Charlottesville. They made arrangements for Lee to be melted down while they started collecting ideas from city residents for that new sculpture.

It was treason to honor that murderous traitor in any way. This is a fitting end to the homage given to him.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How to Avoid Being Boring at 60 - WSJ

I needed to figure out a way to turn this around. I vowed to take that big, upsetting number 60 and remake it into something positive: I decided I would do 60 things I’d never done before. Maybe that would force me to forge new neural pathways in the dog-eared map that was my brain.

Now maybe you don’t relate and are someone who’s constantly taking on new adventures. For the other 98% of us, read on for a primer in how to reclaim novelty and acquire some great stories along the way.

I began my journey with a set of rules. I vowed I would not do:

• Obvious midlife crisis things such as jumping out of a plane, driving a Ferrari on a racetrack or having a fling with a traveling saleswoman and/or Pete Davidson.

• Anything that would cause injury so that I couldn’t do the other 59 things on the list.

• Anything too simple, like “eat a kind of pork dumpling I’ve never had.”

• Anything too complex, like “raise a pig, fall in love with it, then force myself to kill it to make a new kind of pork dumpling.”

• Anything that just requires paying a lot of money to achieve, like going to the Galápagos or hiring Usain Bolt to run to the store for me.

To begin, I needed to start putting together a list of unusual and challenging items. I started canvassing friends, and every one of them got interested, wanted to pitch ideas and had questions, such as: “What’s the most dangerous thing?” “What’s the thing that you were most afraid to do?” and “You’re really only 60? I thought you were much older.”

I’m continually adding to or subtracting from my list of new adventures, but in the hopes of inspiring you to follow in my footsteps, here are some highlights of things I did:

Attended a megachurch.

Though I’m a skeptic about all organized religion, I went to a 2,000-person-strong service at one of America’s largest evangelical megachurches and, honestly, saw what the hype is all about. Young, very attractive singers in Bonobos pants and white sneakers launched into soaring rock songs on stage. The pastor was a charismatic woman who told us how, in the story of Joseph, his brothers decided not to kill him but to sell him into slavery. She said, “They thought, ‘We won’t be murderers, we’ll be human traffickers!’” Not John Mulaney-level comedy, but solid stuff for an evangelical church. The disappointing thing, though, was that the crowd just filed back to their cars after it all ended. I wanted to get inside the heads of these people who had such a different outlook on life.

Set up a table at an autograph convention.

Behind a placard saying I’m a writer on the “Simpsons” (true!), I signed autographs alongside a host of B- and C-level celebrities. Christina Ricci signed hundreds. I signed…nine. I engaged with everyone from the 80-year-old woman who had been “the most photographed nude woman of the 1960s” to the couple who’d come by cruise ship from Canada just to get pictures with Linda Blair from “The Exorcist.”

Cruised a leather gay bar.

My gay son offered to take me to a gay bar. I asked him what I should wear, and he said, “Leather, if you want to be hit on.” I’m 60, not dead—of course I wanted to be hit on! At the bar, I met a “pup”—someone who puts on a dog mask for his “owner” partner—and soon this pup was philosophizing about life and the freedom of letting go by, say, eating dinner out of a bowl on the floor. Safe to say, that was a point of view I’d never been exposed to before. I liked that!

Took a sound bath.

I traveled to Palm Desert, Calif., to listen to quartz crystal “singing bowls,” keyed to the “chakras of the body” and played in a building designed by a man who said he was abducted by aliens—all accompanied by the sound of my Midwestern parents turning over in their graves. Sure, my third-eye chakra intuited I’d never do it again, but it was unlike anything I’d ever heard.

Made an announcement on an airplane.

On an unnamed airline (let’s just say I was headed in a Southwesterly direction), I asked if I could make one of the announcements. An hour later, a flight attendant handed me three hand-scrawled pages and said, “Go.” In show business, this is what we call a “cold read,” and with shaking hands, I dove in: “Ladies and gentlemen, we’ve begun our descent to Los Angeles…” The whole plane applauded! OK, they were told to by the flight crew.

Made a shirt.

I taught myself how to work a sewing machine and made a shirt that I wore to work. One colleague took one look and said, “Oh, it’s terrible. Well, it would be stupid if it looked good.” Another had kinder words: “It looks like your second or third effort, not your first!” And, employing classic parenting language, my boss said, “I can see you worked very hard on that, Rob.”

Bid at an art auction.

My goal was to raise a paddle to bid but not actually win a piece of art—because that would involve spending a lot of money. This was much harder than it sounds. After I lifted my paddle and bid on a drawing, there were agonizing seconds of silence, during which I envisioned coming home and explaining to my wife why we couldn’t afford our next vacation. Then another bidder raised her hand. The auctioneer looked back to me: “Sir?” I tried to feign a casual, “No, that’s OK, if they want it that bad, I’ll let them have it,” while sweat coursed down my shirt. If art tries to make you feel something…well, by God, I was buzzing.

Cooked dinner.

To my shame, I’d never made a real (i.e., not microwaved) dinner for my whole family. So I went big and made a “timpano”—a gigantic Italian dish that took a day to cook and a night to prep. It was, against all odds, pretty good. My son Johnny said he felt the same astonishment at my having done it “as if a fish climbed a tree.”

Went on a police ride-along.

The night before, I got a text from the cop I’d be riding with saying, “Wear a T-shirt because you’ll be wearing a bulletproof vest over it.” I decided not to mention this to my wife. The next day, when we showed up at a domestic dispute, he went to the door, and I stayed in front in the cruiser. An enraged woman ran from her house to her car and grabbed something out of the glove compartment. At that moment I learned something about myself I’d always suspected: I’m a hider, not a fighter. I sank down as low as I could, peering over the dash to see that she was just getting her cellphone. As for my cop, despite looking like he came out of central casting, he was a fan of an anime band (I didn’t know that was a thing), enjoyed dressing up in Victorian garb with his family for cosplay balls and had an autistic adult child, just like me.

That ride-along underlined the big takeaways from my list: Every time I set out to tick off an item, the experience always turned out to be dramatically different from what I had expected, often in ways that were hilarious, fascinating and sometimes even moving.

And now I have 60 shiny new stories to tell friends over a meal of potentially lethal pufferfish—number 29 on the list.

Rob LaZebnik is a writer and co-executive producer on “The Simpsons.” You can suggest items for his list at @rlazebnik on Threads.net.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:06 am How to Avoid Being Boring at 60 - WSJ

I needed to figure out a way to turn this around. I vowed to take that big, upsetting number 60 and remake it into something positive: I decided I would do 60 things I’d never done before. Maybe that would force me to forge new neural pathways in the dog-eared map that was my brain.

Now maybe you don’t relate and are someone who’s constantly taking on new adventures. For the other 98% of us, read on for a primer in how to reclaim novelty and acquire some great stories along the way.

I began my journey with a set of rules. I vowed I would not do:

• Obvious midlife crisis things such as jumping out of a plane, driving a Ferrari on a racetrack or having a fling with a traveling saleswoman and/or Pete Davidson.

• Anything that would cause injury so that I couldn’t do the other 59 things on the list.

• Anything too simple, like “eat a kind of pork dumpling I’ve never had.”

• Anything too complex, like “raise a pig, fall in love with it, then force myself to kill it to make a new kind of pork dumpling.”

• Anything that just requires paying a lot of money to achieve, like going to the Galápagos or hiring Usain Bolt to run to the store for me.

To begin, I needed to start putting together a list of unusual and challenging items. I started canvassing friends, and every one of them got interested, wanted to pitch ideas and had questions, such as: “What’s the most dangerous thing?” “What’s the thing that you were most afraid to do?” and “You’re really only 60? I thought you were much older.”

I’m continually adding to or subtracting from my list of new adventures, but in the hopes of inspiring you to follow in my footsteps, here are some highlights of things I did:

Attended a megachurch.

Though I’m a skeptic about all organized religion, I went to a 2,000-person-strong service at one of America’s largest evangelical megachurches and, honestly, saw what the hype is all about. Young, very attractive singers in Bonobos pants and white sneakers launched into soaring rock songs on stage. The pastor was a charismatic woman who told us how, in the story of Joseph, his brothers decided not to kill him but to sell him into slavery. She said, “They thought, ‘We won’t be murderers, we’ll be human traffickers!’” Not John Mulaney-level comedy, but solid stuff for an evangelical church. The disappointing thing, though, was that the crowd just filed back to their cars after it all ended. I wanted to get inside the heads of these people who had such a different outlook on life.

Set up a table at an autograph convention.

Behind a placard saying I’m a writer on the “Simpsons” (true!), I signed autographs alongside a host of B- and C-level celebrities. Christina Ricci signed hundreds. I signed…nine. I engaged with everyone from the 80-year-old woman who had been “the most photographed nude woman of the 1960s” to the couple who’d come by cruise ship from Canada just to get pictures with Linda Blair from “The Exorcist.”

Cruised a leather gay bar.

My gay son offered to take me to a gay bar. I asked him what I should wear, and he said, “Leather, if you want to be hit on.” I’m 60, not dead—of course I wanted to be hit on! At the bar, I met a “pup”—someone who puts on a dog mask for his “owner” partner—and soon this pup was philosophizing about life and the freedom of letting go by, say, eating dinner out of a bowl on the floor. Safe to say, that was a point of view I’d never been exposed to before. I liked that!

Took a sound bath.

I traveled to Palm Desert, Calif., to listen to quartz crystal “singing bowls,” keyed to the “chakras of the body” and played in a building designed by a man who said he was abducted by aliens—all accompanied by the sound of my Midwestern parents turning over in their graves. Sure, my third-eye chakra intuited I’d never do it again, but it was unlike anything I’d ever heard.

Made an announcement on an airplane.

On an unnamed airline (let’s just say I was headed in a Southwesterly direction), I asked if I could make one of the announcements. An hour later, a flight attendant handed me three hand-scrawled pages and said, “Go.” In show business, this is what we call a “cold read,” and with shaking hands, I dove in: “Ladies and gentlemen, we’ve begun our descent to Los Angeles…” The whole plane applauded! OK, they were told to by the flight crew.

Made a shirt.

I taught myself how to work a sewing machine and made a shirt that I wore to work. One colleague took one look and said, “Oh, it’s terrible. Well, it would be stupid if it looked good.” Another had kinder words: “It looks like your second or third effort, not your first!” And, employing classic parenting language, my boss said, “I can see you worked very hard on that, Rob.”

Bid at an art auction.

My goal was to raise a paddle to bid but not actually win a piece of art—because that would involve spending a lot of money. This was much harder than it sounds. After I lifted my paddle and bid on a drawing, there were agonizing seconds of silence, during which I envisioned coming home and explaining to my wife why we couldn’t afford our next vacation. Then another bidder raised her hand. The auctioneer looked back to me: “Sir?” I tried to feign a casual, “No, that’s OK, if they want it that bad, I’ll let them have it,” while sweat coursed down my shirt. If art tries to make you feel something…well, by God, I was buzzing.

Cooked dinner.

To my shame, I’d never made a real (i.e., not microwaved) dinner for my whole family. So I went big and made a “timpano”—a gigantic Italian dish that took a day to cook and a night to prep. It was, against all odds, pretty good. My son Johnny said he felt the same astonishment at my having done it “as if a fish climbed a tree.”

Went on a police ride-along.

The night before, I got a text from the cop I’d be riding with saying, “Wear a T-shirt because you’ll be wearing a bulletproof vest over it.” I decided not to mention this to my wife. The next day, when we showed up at a domestic dispute, he went to the door, and I stayed in front in the cruiser. An enraged woman ran from her house to her car and grabbed something out of the glove compartment. At that moment I learned something about myself I’d always suspected: I’m a hider, not a fighter. I sank down as low as I could, peering over the dash to see that she was just getting her cellphone. As for my cop, despite looking like he came out of central casting, he was a fan of an anime band (I didn’t know that was a thing), enjoyed dressing up in Victorian garb with his family for cosplay balls and had an autistic adult child, just like me.

That ride-along underlined the big takeaways from my list: Every time I set out to tick off an item, the experience always turned out to be dramatically different from what I had expected, often in ways that were hilarious, fascinating and sometimes even moving.

And now I have 60 shiny new stories to tell friends over a meal of potentially lethal pufferfish—number 29 on the list.

Rob LaZebnik is a writer and co-executive producer on “The Simpsons.” You can suggest items for his list at @rlazebnik on Threads.net.
love this.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Intruder alert!

Cougar!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Very sad follow up ~ cougar was killed by motorist:

https://www.fox9.com/news/cougar-killed ... inneapolis

Caution: disturbing video included in the link

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”