The State of TV

Movies, TV, and Music
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The State of TV

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 am Does Ozark get better?

So far, not impressed with this show. (on episode where the curly haired blonde tries to electricute Mr. Bryne )

Heard good to great things about it, but it's too far fetched. Introducing too many sub-plots.

A Jason Bateman who plays the same Jason Bateman in everything he does. Straight guy who never raises his blood pressure, yells at his cheating wife, etc. Un-realistic. Keeping millions in a pontoon boat, instead of renting a bank deposit box or even a storage facility? please.

I'll stick with Trailer Park Boys
Have you watched City on the Hill? I watched the first episode. I liked it and plan to watch more. Have no opinion on the series as a whole..... vintage Boston. Did you see the movie The Heat?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

really kool GEICO commercial:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:38 pm

So far, not impressed with this show. (on episode where the curly haired blonde tries to electricute Mr. Bryne )

Heard good to great things about it, but it's too far fetched. Introducing too many sub-plots.

A Jason Bateman who plays the same Jason Bateman in everything he does. Straight guy who never raises his blood pressure, yells at his cheating wife, etc. Un-realistic. Keeping millions in a pontoon boat, instead of renting a bank deposit box or even a storage facility? please.

Have you watched City on the Hill? I watched the first episode. I liked it and plan to watch more. Have no opinion on the series as a whole..... vintage Boston. Did you see the movie The Heat?
City on the Hill seems like a sequel to both Black Mass & The Town.

Same threads running through all 3. Kevin Bacon plays an FBI agent in 2, dating back to Whitey Bulger & the Angiulo gang. Ben Affleck directed & stared in The Town & was EP with Matt Damon in City on the Hill, both about armored car theifs from Charlestown.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:45 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:38 pm

City on the Hill seems like a sequel to both Black Mass & The Town.

Same threads running through all 3. Kevin Bacon plays an FBI agent in 2, dating back to Whitey Bulger & the Angiulo gang. Ben Affleck directed & stared in The Town & was EP with Matt Damon in City on the Hill, both about armored car theifs from Charlestown.
Yes. I didn’t see Black Mass but saw The Town. I watched the first episode of City on the Hill and felt it to be a facsimile of the Town with more corruption. I plan to watch it. Vintage Bostonians .
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Men Into Space 1959-1960

http://ninfinger.org/models/vault/Men_Into_Space.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052493/

The adventures of Colonel Ed McCauley, head of the American space program. He battles saboteurs, budget cuts, defective equipment and other problems in outer space.

Narrator: No matter where he travels, one thing will always be the same: man himself. Human nature will not change in the strange outposts of space. There will always be love and hate, courage and fear, and even greed. This is the story of an expedition to a distant world that was brought to the brink of disaster by one man's greed.

Been watching this in my online nostalgia club channel. Never saw the series back then as it was on at the same time as "Ozzie and Harriet". Amazing sets must have cost its producers a great deal of money.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters ... ilm/10293/

Watched Ted Williams on PBS yesterday. Very good documentary about the enigmatic Super Star.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The Boys and goliath on Amazon prime are both good.

American a horror story is really terrific as is American Gods on starz, succession and righteous gemstones on HBo.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Watching Global News network on youtube.

Catalonian separatists were having a peaceful protest when fascist cops stopped the meeting with their terroristic violence. Too bad the people there don't have 2d Amendment protection with advanced weaponry to protect themselves from the fascists. Hitler and Franco must be rubbing their evil hands with rapturous glee in Hell at the events as they are unfolding ATM.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Gotta be careful, you may or may not be aware that ATM has another meaning I don’t think you were going for....

Unless you were referring to what hitler and Franco deserve a steady diet of in hell.
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:06 pm Gotta be careful, you may or may not be aware that ATM has another meaning I don’t think you were going for....

Unless you were referring to what hitler and Franco deserve a steady diet of in hell.

:lol: Yeah we all know but good little boys & girls don't think that way.

As for Hitler & Franco they well deserve the frying they're getting. :twisted:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Argh! That old problem with insomnia bothered me once again - woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep. But life has its compensations and it inspired me to turn on the TV in order to watch an old episode of "Superman" for my entertainment. The best part of all was that the episode featured beautiful Joi Lansing as Mrs Superman:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0506594/ch ... /nm0487103

Oh Joi ..... :D

Farfromgeneva

Re: John Singleton

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:44 pm Really enjoyed Boyz in the Hood & it's tv legacy Snowfall (FX) which just finished filming season 3 for this fall.

Gone too soon. He will be missed.

The episode in season 1, “cracking”, with RZA playing “Swim” has a great scene with him making crack. Well produced.
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Why can't we have great television today like we did in the old days?

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Watched an episode of Through the Decades on the Decades channel. Interesting report on the infamous Kitty Genovese case in which police claimed they were helpless because the public refused to help them. Evidently, subsequent investigations revealed that people did call the police who ignored the calls and did not trouble themselves to walk so much as one block in order to stop or to lessen the crime . As usual, coffee and donuts are of greater importance to those cops than in stopping or preventing crime.

https://www.history.com/topics/crime/kitty-genovese

The New York Times coverage has been criticized for numerous factual errors and accused of contriving a social phenomenon for sensationalistic purposes ... The Bystander Effect was used by the press as a parable of a morally bankrupt modern society losing its compassion for others, particularly in cities.

Decades following the murder, a journalistic movement began to correct the misinformation perpetuated by The New York Times stories. In 2004, journalist Jim Rasenberger wrote an article for the Times debunking the claims of the 1964 reporting. A 2007 article in American Psychologist by Rachel Manning, Mark Levine, and Alan Collins further deflates Rosenthal’s claims.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

West world is back for anyone who’s watched the first two seasons. Long break and a lot of iterative human,killing, body displacement so I may need a rewatch of season 2 personally.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Black Monday came back from Hiatus last night. On showtime only I believe so more limiting but the show is fantastic, ridiculous and hilarious.

Without giving too much away, Don aches does character and the guy who played Charlie on West Wing has a dance off as different versions of Prince Akeem from coming to America to their own routines to Bobby Browns My Prerogative. Just tremendous.
See Martin, Malcolm
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

OUTSTANDING NEWS

‘Beavis & Butt-Head’ to return for two new seasons

“It seemed like the time was right to get stupid again"

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/beavis-butt ... ns-2699448

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hungry for sports I tried the MLS game tonight - Seattle v San Jose - but found it unbelievably boring. of course it ended 0-0 but I was long gone. Flipped over to FS2 for some Austalian Rules Football and caught an awesome game. Some team called Fremantle rallied back from a 36 point hole to claim victory over some team called St Kilda.

AFL is a great sports option for night owls. Too bad nothing shown in the US primetime spots. AFL is intense, clean, hard-hitting, fast paced, and appears to be all about the sport - no politics (I think). Quite refreshing really.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Typical Lax Dad

The Alienist Season 2 is brilliant. Dakota Fanning is a tremendous actresses.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:37 pm The Alienist Season 2 is brilliant. Dakota Fanning is a tremendous actresses.

Agree 100%. Bought and read the books when they came out in mid 90's and am so glad to see them done so well on tv.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”