Clemson 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Clemson 2023

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac

Re: Clemson 2023

Post by DMac »

Five games into the season by mid Feb (just about), spring is coming earlier and earlier.
Gotta love that Dome up in Cuse, it's just like February in Carolina. Good idea to wear
a hat, gloves, coat, and maybe a scarf too on your way in though.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

WOFFORD

February 11

FURMAN

February 15

At WINTHROP

February 18

GARDNER WEBB

February 22

At NOTRE DAME

February 25

At VIRGINIA 

March 3

At LONGWOOD

March 5

CAMPBELL

March 8

DUKE

Saturday, March 11
BOSTON COLLEGE

March 16

RADFORD

March 19

PRESBYTERIAN

March 22

At NORTH CAROLINA 

March 26

LOUISVILLE

March 31

At SYRACUSE

April 8

At VIRGINIA TECH

April 15

PITT

April 20

Looks like Duke's 2022 schedule...but then again--Clemson's an "expansion team"

wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:50 pm WOFFORD

February 11

FURMAN

February 15

At WINTHROP

February 18

GARDNER WEBB

February 22

At NOTRE DAME

February 25

At VIRGINIA 

March 3

At LONGWOOD

March 5

CAMPBELL

March 8

DUKE

Saturday, March 11
BOSTON COLLEGE

March 16

RADFORD

March 19

PRESBYTERIAN

March 22

At NORTH CAROLINA 

March 26

LOUISVILLE

March 31

At SYRACUSE

April 8

At VIRGINIA TECH

April 15

PITT

April 20

While the OOC schedule isn’t exactly eye-popping, I noticed most of the schools on the OOC schedule are fairly local. This would cut a lot of expenses (airfare, hotels, meal money, etc) that come with traveling further. I have no idea what their budget looks like, but I think it might serve the dual purpose of being cost effective and providing some confidence building games before a brutal ACC gauntlet.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:03 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:50 pm WOFFORD

February 11

FURMAN

February 15

At WINTHROP

February 18

GARDNER WEBB

February 22

At NOTRE DAME

February 25

At VIRGINIA 

March 3

At LONGWOOD

March 5

CAMPBELL

March 8

DUKE

Saturday, March 11
BOSTON COLLEGE

March 16

RADFORD

March 19

PRESBYTERIAN

March 22

At NORTH CAROLINA 

March 26

LOUISVILLE

March 31

At SYRACUSE

April 8

At VIRGINIA TECH

April 15

PITT

April 20

While the OOC schedule isn’t exactly eye-popping, I noticed most of the schools on the OOC schedule are fairly local. This would cut a lot of expenses (airfare, hotels, meal money, etc) that come with traveling further. I have no idea what their budget looks like, but I think it might serve the dual purpose of being cost effective and providing some confidence building games before a brutal ACC gauntlet.
It looks like a very balanced schedule—like a lot of thought went into it. Seems perfect for a first year team.
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

What a joke! Wow. Any win outside of the ACC is fools gold.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:41 pm What a joke! Wow. Any win outside of the ACC is fools gold.
Just curious as to what you are referring to as a joke. I am always interested to hear other perspectives.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:41 pm What a joke! Wow. Any win outside of the ACC is fools gold.
IDK, seems like a fairly ok schedule for a first year ACC team. Very similar in scope to the other recent addition to the ACC.

Fools gold would imply that you see value in wins, if they see any...gotta play the games, where there is none. I would suggest there is value in any win regarding building a culture, confidence and momentum for the future. Will any wins in the OOC schedule translate to ACC success? To be seen but recent history suggests it would be minimal but then again that is why they play the games.

It is their first schedule. To me, sometimes it is best to fish in a smaller pond before you venture out into the ocean.
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

Why the term Joke:
When Clemson introduced their program, to great social media fan fare, they boasted of their fantastic facilities and competitive edge it would bring them. The plank owners are mostly made up of 20 experienced transfers. Multiple posts of eye catching swag drops and self lauding of their recruiting successes set the expectation that they were going to field a team forged by the best competition. I expected it from in and out of the ACC. Having your OOC schedule against these team is unimpressive and laughable for a team that outwardly advertised excellence.
Will a 9 point game from Jimerson against Radford set any competitive bar?
Iron sharpens Iron.

Pitt, which followed the same blueprint in many respects, came out with OOC schedule that was short on wins but played many more competitive, regional programs than the Tigers. Namely PSU, Siena, Duquesne, Canisius.

They should have replaced four of their OOC teams with; High Point, Davidson, Elon, Coastal and Jax. They billed themselves as all in, starting the program with new everything etc. so the budget (football TV $)should not be a determining factor to play these regional opponents.

I expected a George Carlin routine got one from Paulie Shore!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:53 pm Why the term Joke:
When Clemson introduced their program, to great social media fan fare, they boasted of their fantastic facilities and competitive edge it would bring them. The plank owners are mostly made up of 20 experienced transfers. Multiple posts of eye catching swag drops and self lauding of their recruiting successes set the expectation that they were going to field a team forged by the best competition. I expected it from in and out of the ACC. Having your OOC schedule against these team is unimpressive and laughable for a team that outwardly advertised excellence.
Iron sharpens Iron.

Pitt, which followed the same blueprint in many respects, came out with OOC schedule that was short on wins but played many more competitive, regional programs than the Tigers. Namely PSU, Siena, Duquesne, Canisius.

They should have replaced four of their OOC teams with; High Point, Davidson, Elon, Coastal and Jax. They billed themselves as all in, starting the program with new everything etc. so the budget (football TV $)should not be a determining factor to play these regional opponents.

Good points. Thank you.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:53 pm Why the term Joke:
Iron sharpens Iron.

Maybe Coastal or Davidson at 3 hrs, but outside of that I would hardly call the 4-5+ hour drives of High Point, Jacksonville, Elon etc. "local" when compared to the 2 hour drives of some of the actual local schools on the schedule.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Not sure how hard or easy it is for a new program to schedule out of conference games. (never been a college coach) But I would imagine it isn't easy getting games. Most teams play yearly home n away games against OOC teams so schedules are kind of locked in for a year or two. Maybe Clemson wanted to play a few teams but couldn't find dates. Let them play and hopefully enjoy some competitive games. My 2 cents
jff97

Post by jff97 »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:03 pm Not sure how hard or easy it is for a new program to schedule out of conference games. (never been a college coach) But I would imagine it isn't easy getting games. Most teams play yearly home n away games against OOC teams so schedules are kind of locked in for a year or two. Maybe Clemson wanted to play a few teams but couldn't find dates. Let them play and hopefully enjoy some competitive games. My 2 cents
That was my thought when I saw the schedule too. A lot more goes into scheduling than just I want to play these teams. If Clemson starts building a consistent NCAA Tournament caliber program, I'm sure they'll get better OOC games.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

No matter how you look at it this OOC schedule is laughable and embarrassing. It costs nothing to have good teams, maybe Top 30 teams come play at Clemson. Some teams would welcome the opportunity.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

I would’ve liked to see one possibly Big 10 school or OOC ranked school, but I don’t think they needed to have a tough schedule. I believe they made the right call because it would not be good for a program to win 2 games their opening year especially when Clemson could be good in the future.
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

Not much wrong with that schedule for a first year ACC team that will get tested plenty during its ACC schedule. Remember Duke's joke of a 2022 out-of-conference schedule which consisted of Gardner-Webb, Elon, William & Mary, High Point, Wofford, East Carolina, and Davidson?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxThoughts wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:07 pm Not much wrong with that schedule for a first year ACC team that will get tested plenty during its ACC schedule. Remember Duke's joke of a 2022 out-of-conference schedule which consisted of Gardner-Webb, Elon, William & Mary, High Point, Wofford, East Carolina, and Davidson?
I agree with what you are saying. Clemson with [RPI ranking last year] Wofford [105], Furman[62], Winthrop[106], GW[87], Longwood[108], Campbell[75], Radford[112], Presbyterian[115] is scheduling similar to Duke's (last year), a perennial top 10 team. Duke's schedule was indeed weak for their program quality.

I think that Clemson wins 6 of those 8 OOC games. I wouldnt be surprised if they win them all.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LaxThoughts wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:07 pm Not much wrong with that schedule for a first year ACC team that will get tested plenty during its ACC schedule. Remember Duke's joke of a 2022 out-of-conference schedule which consisted of Gardner-Webb, Elon, William & Mary, High Point, Wofford, East Carolina, and Davidson?
Agreed. I can also see Wheels!'s perspective in that Clemson did attract a veritable boatload of transfers so they're not a good example of a purely first year team. They boast 18 upperclassers (new PC safe word, folks--woohoo!) including a whopping 11 grad students. It's going to be a very interesting first year. Looking forward to it.
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

If Clemson’s OOC was identical to last years Blue Devils I would more impressed and interested. I hope if they are at .500 at seasons end they lay low, no need to break out the video pyrotechnics in celebration.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:39 pm If Clemson’s OOC was identical to last years Blue Devils I would more impressed and interested. I hope if they are at .500 at seasons end they lay low, no need to break out the video pyrotechnics in celebration.
In this day and age? The Industrial Hype Complex at Clemson will be revving full-bore for every home game and all through the season and beyond on their social media platforms. I'm sure the video pyrotechnics are already locked and loaded and ready for opening day in South Carolina.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”