Inside Lacrosse Top 50

Post by Laxfan500 »

A few glaring omissions:

Where is:

Weeks - BC
Dirks - UNC
Reznick - Florida

Nowhere in the entire top 50???

No Ward ...I guess because she was hurt last year?
Without Weeks BC doesn't even get to Finals last year. Totally underrated player.
Medgid - BC should be higher. Also a little underrated
BCGold

Re: Inside Lacrosse Top 50

Post by BCGold »

Thought of Weeks right away, figured at least a top 20, had to be some sort of oversight
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

BCGold wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:07 pm Thought of Weeks right away, figured at least a top 20, had to be some sort of oversight
I tht Reznick must have been an oversight too. ILW has always spoken glowingly about her . They also like to spread the love around with goalies . Baffling .
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I attribute the glaring omissions noted by Laxfan500 to part of the increasingly pervasive a-chicken-in-every-pot mentality that is becoming part of the culture. Everyone must be represented. That’s why Cassidy Weeks, Sarah Reznik, Emma Ward, Olivia Dirks weren’t included. Gotta get some other players in so no one can accuse IL of playing favorites. Either that or the folks who compiled the list are inept, which is also possible.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:19 pm I attribute the glaring omissions noted by Laxfan500 to part of the increasingly pervasive a-chicken-in-every-pot mentality that is becoming part of the culture. Everyone must be represented. That’s why Cassidy Weeks, Sarah Reznik, Emma Ward, Olivia Dirks weren’t included. Gotta get some other players in so no one can accuse IL of playing favorites. Either that or the folks who compiled the list are inept, which is also possible.
Agree about reznick. Ward maybe. But you have scane at number 2 who didn’t play the entire season either. It’s an odd placement to me.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Idontknowtherules wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:20 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:19 pm I attribute the glaring omissions noted by Laxfan500 to part of the increasingly pervasive a-chicken-in-every-pot mentality that is becoming part of the culture. Everyone must be represented. That’s why Cassidy Weeks, Sarah Reznik, Emma Ward, Olivia Dirks weren’t included. Gotta get some other players in so no one can accuse IL of playing favorites. Either that or the folks who compiled the list are inept, which is also possible.
Agree about reznick. Ward maybe. But you have scane at number 2 who didn’t play the entire season either. It’s an odd placement to me.
Right, which is why I think the omissions could be due to a lack of experience/common sense/intelligence at the offices of IL.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Not surprised with Ward since she missed all last year and has only one full year under her belt. Not surprised by Dirks either. Had huge year in Big 10 but was 3rd best middie on her team last year and had an off year. Scane is an exception to the rule of not giving hurt players much love because she proved without a doubt that she was a Top 3 player when healthy and has already been a Tewaaraton Finalist. I agree 100 percent that Cassidy Weeks should be on the list but probably only in the 35-50 range due to limited stats. She is a true middie and a workhorse but so is Hillman from UNC. Weeks puts up small numbers relative to other middies on the offensive and defensive end and stats matter whether one likes it or not. All this said, I think Weeks is a top 10 middie in the country and is poised to have a monster year in 2023.
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

Agree on Jen Medjid as well, she’s been underrated for years.

And not to go down a rabbit hole with nit picking these rankings, but there aren’t 33 women’s lac players better than Hollie Schleicher

No BC bias here tho ☘️ 😎
OuttaNowhereWregget

BCGold wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:43 pm
...there aren’t 33 women’s lac players better than Hollie Schleicher

No ☘️ bias here tho 😎
Way high five on that one, my BC comrade.

Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

BCGold wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:43 pm Agree on Jen Medjid as well, she’s been underrated for years.

And not to go down a rabbit hole with nit picking these rankings, but there aren’t 33 women’s lac players better than Hollie Schleicher

No BC bias here tho ☘️ 😎
Ehh, maybe take off the glasses and you could see more....
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I believe that every top 10ish team gets at least 2 players on the list. I think it is more old school politics than actual value/quality ranking. Top 5 teams will get 4+. Lots of best player(s) on a team vs best players in D1
OuttaNowhereWregget

Sunnylax wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:24 am
BCGold wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:43 pm Agree on Jen Medjid as well, she’s been underrated for years.

No BC bias here tho ☘️ 😎
Ehh, maybe take off the glasses and you could see more....
I think the shades are a great look for you, BCGold 😉

Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Love that Cassidy Weeks is getting so much attention and rightly so. She is a true 2 way middie. Is there a reason why IL, USA Lax and IWLCA continue to categorize players incorrectly as middies just because their team bio says they are one. Massera from SB and the younger Tyrell are attackers that NEVER cross the restraining line and play defense. You can watch any of the games they played last year (obviously before Tyrell got hurt). They are attackers that do the draw, no different than North, Appuzzo, Treanor in her final year or Cat Barry from Duke last year. They never play an ounce of defense. Half the game they are standing over the retraining line waiting for their true middies or defenders to get them the ball. Their coaches value their offense (which I understand) more than their defense so they play them 100 percent of the game at attack, but all 3 publications refer to them as middies and compare their stats to middies like Weeks who play maybe half the game and grind every minute they are out. Its very unfair to the true middies of the world.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:09 pm Love that Cassidy Weeks is getting so much attention and rightly so. She is a true 2 way middie. Is there a reason why IL, USA Lax and IWLCA continue to categorize players incorrectly as middies just because their team bio says they are one. Massera from SB and the younger Tyrell are attackers that NEVER cross the restraining line and play defense. You can watch any of the games they played last year (obviously before Tyrell got hurt). They are attackers that do the draw, no different than North, Appuzzo, Treanor in her final year or Cat Barry from Duke last year. They never play an ounce of defense. Half the game they are standing over the retraining line waiting for their true middies or defenders to get them the ball. Their coaches value their offense (which I understand) more than their defense so they play them 100 percent of the game at attack, but all 3 publications refer to them as middies and compare their stats to middies like Weeks who play maybe half the game and grind every minute they are out. Its very unfair to the true middies of the world.
What you stated about Emma Tyrrell is simply not true. She played both offense and defense in her freshman and sophomore seasons. She was moved to attack when Megan Carney got injured at the end of the regular season in 2021. It was at that point that she really started to find her groove both offensively and on the draw. She is a very skilled player; great at clearing the ball and sparking transition as well. In Cuse's 2022 season opener against Stanford, Tyrrell played both offense and defense. From that point on though, you are correct in stating that she was not on the defensive side of the ball for the rest of her (very sadly) shortened junior campaign. But I do believe this was out of necessity seeing as both Ward and Cockerille had season ending injuries and Carney was severely hampered by her nagging injuries as well. Cuse needed Emma Tyrrell's skillsets more on the offensive side of the ball and on the draw. I hope she'll make a full recovery this upcoming season. I'd say she's an offense-first midfielder.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:09 pm Love that Cassidy Weeks is getting so much attention and rightly so. She is a true 2 way middie. Is there a reason why IL, USA Lax and IWLCA continue to categorize players incorrectly as middies just because their team bio says they are one. Massera from SB and the younger Tyrell are attackers that NEVER cross the restraining line and play defense. You can watch any of the games they played last year (obviously before Tyrell got hurt). They are attackers that do the draw, no different than North, Appuzzo, Treanor in her final year or Cat Barry from Duke last year. They never play an ounce of defense. Half the game they are standing over the retraining line waiting for their true middies or defenders to get them the ball. Their coaches value their offense (which I understand) more than their defense so they play them 100 percent of the game at attack, but all 3 publications refer to them as middies and compare their stats to middies like Weeks who play maybe half the game and grind every minute they are out. Its very unfair to the true middies of the world.
100% agree. Because publications are lazy? Don't care to do their due diligence? SRG from UNC was always called a middle too - when she hadn't played in the midfield for years.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

We are agreeing. Tyrell was moved to attack on a full time basis very early last year and she never went back to middie. That makes her an attacker last year. Massera started her career as a middie as well and played 100 percent of her games last year as an attacker - go watch any game. Both are great players and Im a big fan of both but they should be labeled attackers at this point forward if nothing changes. Its fairly simply. You play defense or you dont. When it comes to things like AA etc they should be labeled and compared to players like Scane, Desimone etc ... and last year to Ortega, North, older Tyrell etc ... not to middies who grind over the entire field. Fair is fair.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:22 pm We are agreeing. Tyrell was moved to attack on a full time basis very early last year and she never went back to middie. That makes her an attacker last year. Massera started her career as a middie as well and played 100 percent of her games last year as an attacker - go watch any game. Both are great players and Im a big fan of both but they should be labeled attackers at this point forward if nothing changes. Its fairly simply. You play defense or you dont. When it comes to things like AA etc they should be labeled and compared to players like Scane, Desimone etc ... and last year to Ortega, North, older Tyrell etc ... not to middies who grind over the entire field. Fair is fair.
Once again I agree completely. Less competition to be labeled Middie when it comes to getting kudos for AA and putting up great stats. Its a better look for the team when it Comes to award season and counting stats. A lot easier to score as an attacker. But Spallina and Treanor wont be changing those classifications any time soon lol.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Was curious about the breakdown so here's who the breakdown by school. 21 schools had a player make the list, though 31 of the players came from 8 schools.
Maryland-6 Abby Bosco (#3), Emily Sterling (#7), Marge Donovan (#13), Hannah Leubecker (#25), Shaylan Ahearn (#30), Libby May (#44)
Boston College-5 Belle Smith (#4), Jenn Medjid (#11), Sydney Scales (#22), Hollie Schleicher (#34), Kayla Martello (#41)
Duke-4 Maddie Jenner (#5), Cubby Biscardi (#33), Olivia Carner (#36), Katie DeSimone (#39)
Syracuse-4 Meaghan Tyrell (#1), Emma Tyrrell (#24), Kate Mashewske (#35), Megan Carney (#49)
Florida-3 Danielle Pavinelli (#17), Emma LoPinto (#23), Emily Heller (#40)
North Carolina-3 Caitlyn Wurzburger (#10), Emily Nalls (#14), Brooklyn Walker-Welch (#18)
Stony Brook-3 Ellie Masera (#6), Cailyn Hart (#32), Clare Levy (#37)
Virginia-3 Ashlyn McGovern (#27), Rachel Clark (#31), Aubrey Williams (#42)
Jacksonville-2 Sarah Elms (#38), Molly Brock (#43)
James Madison-2 Isabella Peterson (#26), Mairead Durkin (#28)
Loyola-2 Katie Detwiler (#8), Jillian Wilson (#21)
Northwestern-2 Izzy Scane (#3), Erin Coykendall (#16)
Notre Dame-2 Kasey Choma (#19), Madison Ahern (#29)
Rutgers-2 Cassidy Spilis (#9), Meghan Ball (#20)
Denver-1 Sam Thacker (#12)
Lehigh-1 Hayley Hunt (#47)
Ohio State-1 Chloe Johnson (#46)
Penn State-1 Kristin O'Neill (#48)
Stanford-1 Ashley Humphrey (#15)
USC-1 Emma Wightman (#50)
Vanderbilt-1 Bri Gross (#45)
momlax24x7

Post by momlax24x7 »

Agree on S Resnick unequivocally.
momlax24x7

Post by momlax24x7 »

E Ward DNP in 2022, O Dirks does not belong in top 50.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”