Mental Health, Abuse and reporting in Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dasher

Mental Health, Abuse and reporting in Women's Lacrosse

Post by Dasher »

We welcome articles with positive affirmations of mental health and well-being in women's lacrosse, but it's just as important to highlight thorny situations so that they are not just swept under the rug. There is a program in a well-respected league that has gone as far as to fully guarantee scholarships of players who leave the team because of alleged abuses. Several returning players have already quit, including one all-league player.
How these allegations were handled and investigated, the universities pragmatic response, and how they moved forward enhancing student-athletes well-being is an important story. Why haven't any of the lacrosse news services picked up on this? It's not my job to mention the program. But it is the media's.
Dr. Tact

Re: Mental Health, Abuse and reporting in Women's Lacrosse

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dasher wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:08 pm We welcome articles with positive affirmations of mental health and well-being in women's lacrosse, but it's just as important to highlight thorny situations so that they are not just swept under the rug. There is a program in a well-respected league that has gone as far as to fully guarantee scholarships of players who leave the team because of alleged abuses. Several returning players have already quit, including one all-league player.
How these allegations were handled and investigated, the universities pragmatic response, and how they moved forward enhancing student-athletes well-being is an important story. Why haven't any of the lacrosse news services picked up on this? It's not my job to mention the program. But it is the media's.
Have to say I am not sure where you are going with this. Any chance you can hint at the league? Otherwise, you are fishing for others that know what is going on....If there are confidentiality issues, I get it, but without more info, what are you looking for? IL or USLax to read this and comment?

I don't mean any disrespect, and I am not an insider, just completely in the dark on this.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

I assume he/she is referencing Colgate.

https://medium.com/@colgatewlaxwhistleb ... 9bec0d43e5
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Clearly some media is covering this story.

Reading Taylor’s bio on the Colgate site it seems one would be hard pressed to think the allegations and the bio are about the same person. Heaps of praise from hall of fame peers and an outstanding resume.

Two men say they’re Jesus. One of them must be wrong.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

DMac wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:33 pm One must be wrong?
http://jdstone.org/cr/files/genetics-pr ... woman.html
Not sure that was the point Mark Knopfler was trying to make, but noted.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:11 pm I assume he/she is referencing Colgate.

Thanks for the help
DMac

Post by DMac »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:22 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:33 pm One must be wrong?
http://jdstone.org/cr/files/genetics-pr ... woman.html
Not sure that was the point Mark Knopfler was trying to make, but noted.
Knew nothing about this, get it now.
Can't say that's my favorite Knopfler tune but am a Knopfler fan.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:27 pm

Thanks for the help
Whew. Tough story (and letter from the lawyers) to read. Thanks for posting it hmmm.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:45 pm
Dasher wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:08 pm We welcome articles with positive affirmations of mental health and well-being in women's lacrosse, but it's just as important to highlight thorny situations so that they are not just swept under the rug. There is a program in a well-respected league that has gone as far as to fully guarantee scholarships of players who leave the team because of alleged abuses. Several returning players have already quit, including one all-league player.
Have to say I am not sure where you are going with this. Any chance you can hint at the league? Otherwise, you are fishing for others that know what is going on....If there are confidentiality issues, I get it, but without more info, what are you looking for? IL or USLax to read this and comment?

I don't mean any disrespect, and I am not an insider, just completely in the dark on this.
My intent was to give this topic daylight and you were correct in guessing that I was hoping IL or USLax would pick up the story. Timing wise, the IWCLA convention just started. IWCLA Director Liz Robertshaw, a real voice in the game, ideally could work with coaches to better understand mental health issues and abuses. We can't appreciate articles or tweets on psycho parents at tourneys, etc. if they they look the other way when it is one of their own.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dasher wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:47 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:45 pm

My intent was to give this topic daylight and you were correct in guessing that I was hoping IL or USLax would pick up the story. Timing wise, the IWCLA convention just started. IWCLA Director Liz Robertshaw, a real voice in the game, ideally could work with coaches to better understand mental health issues and abuses. We can't appreciate articles or tweets on psycho parents at tourneys, etc. if they they look the other way when it is one of their own.
Thanks for posting this - I read the letter from the lawyers and then Colgate's letter to the returning players. I have to say that the response from the Colgate admin was pathetic and embarrassing (of course, IMO)
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

This sounds very serious, if true how could Colgate renew her contract and how is she still in coaching?
bobinvaluvswlax

Post by bobinvaluvswlax »

Hate to say it but this is not totally unique in womens D1 lax.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

bobinvaluvswlax wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:45 pm Hate to say it but this is not totally unique in womens D1 lax.
That may be the case, but in this situation, according to those involved, there are zero confidentiality requirements . A story could be written.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Was DM'd from a parent. Claims eight players took the scholarship package and quit the team. College funding them through graduation. Nothing to see here. No story here. UGH.
Last edited by Dasher on Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Downhill Dodger

Post by Downhill Dodger »

Here is the reality of the situation. This type of thing is prevalent across women's lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse is administered as an afterthought by most athletic directors, who pay little to no attention to the day-to-day activities of the team because it doesn't make any $$$, and the gap from the top is fairly large, so most athletic departments put minimal funding, its a box checker and a necessary evil in most DI departments. This allows coaches to act with limited to no oversight of their actions. They schmooze the AD and the liaison, who think they are doing a great job, so it is all hunky dory until something blows up. Be it general abuse, mental health, ignoring injuries, or just overall toxicity because they are not winning or a combination of all the above, the players are having a horrible experience with no benefit. They talk to their parents, the parents get pissed, investigate and hire attorneys. The crap hits the fan and the AD is in job preserve mode, "we will conduct an independent investigation, we didn't know, yada yada yada." The exit is to fire the coach and start over, 1/3 of the team quits within 2 years and the cycle repeats.
Downhill Dodger

Post by Downhill Dodger »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:18 am

Thanks for the help
Whew. Tough story (and letter from the lawyers) to read. Thanks for posting it hmmm.
That is quite an impressive display of word salad from the AD
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Downhill Dodger wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:18 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:18 am

Thanks for the help
That is quite an impressive display of word salad from the AD
Coach Taylor has a lot of friends. This is a link to the Colgate website and her bio: among other things, she was elected to be President of the IWLCA in 2017

https://colgateathletics.com/sports/wom ... aylor/2230
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Wow. I missed that connection. This makes so much more sense as to why this is being covered up. A headline allegation of FORMER IWCLA PRESIDENT tells one student-athlete she was being "dramatic" and causing a "scene" when the student reported feeling suicidal, and that "no one" wanted her to come back, doesn't merit enough of a story I guess.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Very interesting.

I was aware of some red flags with this program but this appears to be pretty significant.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”