The country that was

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: The country that was

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:34 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:21 am https://news.sky.com/story/why-are-univ ... s-13122732

What are the protests about?

The message from the students in encampments has been simple: they want their universities to stop doing business with Israel - or any companies that support its ongoing war in Gaza.

The demand has its roots in the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, a decades-old campaign against Israel's policies toward the Palestinians.

But the specifics vary from each set of protesters at different universities. Among them are these key demands:

• Stop doing business with military weapons manufacturers that are supplying arms to Israel
• Stop accepting research money from Israel for projects that aid the country's military efforts
• Be more transparent about what money is received from Israel and what it's used for
• Stop investing college endowments with money managers who profit from Israeli companies or contractors.
These are students. If they disagree with how their university invests their money, then transfer to another university. Students can express their outrage all day long. They can't demand how the university should spend their money. I mean they can demand all day long. The university leadership will politely tell them to go pound sand. Sadly these young skulls full of liberal mush think people in charge where they attend classes actually care what they think. They already have their money 🤑🤑🤑
Such protests DID work re South Africa and apartheid. And had a significant impact re Vietnam.

So, you are wrong about impact.

Brown University has ended its protests with an agreement to explore divestment. I suspect that most major universities will eventually adopt divestment policies as well, as long as this government with this set of expansionist policies continues to hold power in Israel. Feels pretty inevitable.

However, I don’t think this objective removes accountability for criminal behavior by protesters whether on college campuses or anywhere else.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:21 am https://news.sky.com/story/why-are-univ ... s-13122732

The message from the students in encampments has been simple: they want their universities to stop doing business with Israel - or any companies that support its ongoing war in Gaza.

The demand has its roots in the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, a decades-old campaign against Israel's policies toward the Palestinians.

But the specifics vary from each set of protesters at different universities. Among them are these key demands:

• Stop doing business with military weapons manufacturers that are supplying arms to Israel
• Stop accepting research money from Israel for projects that aid the country's military efforts
• Be more transparent about what money is received from Israel and what it's used for
• Stop investing college endowments with money managers who profit from Israeli companies or contractors.
It’s interesting that some on here refuse to grapple with the hugely different objectives of various protest movements. They focus Only on the bad acts perpetrated by some portion of the assembled protesters.

Not the aims, nor morality of the movement itself.

They pretend that their ‘opponents’ don’t condemn bad acts of movements to which they are sympathetic, as a cover for refusing to condemn the bad acts of those they think reflect their partisan interests. And they actually claim that the bad acts are worse by the movements which they oppose.

Jan 6 had an entirely abhorrent motivation top to bottom, an attack on the peaceful transfer of power fueled by blatant lies from a losing candidate.

They just can’t come to grips with the difference in moral aims of social justice and objection to police abuse and violence or objection to institutional profit from supporting a foreign government perpeting what they believe are war crimes.

Not that this is so simple, but the refusal to even grapple is very revealing.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:03 am I don't expect to change your opinions & you're a fool to think you can change mine.
Nope. I'm not a fool. If you're honestly telling me that you can't change your opinions based on discussions here, I feel nothing but pity for you. This means that you have stopped learning, stopped listening, and stopped thinking.

And clearly you've forgotten you said you changed your mind at the Old Forum, and that's why you enjoyed discussions there....you were there to hear other opinions on matters.

I have changed my views/opinions THOUSANDS of times here and at the old forum. THOUSANDS. Some, from our exchanges.

The fact that you're telling us that you waltz in here with immutable opinions that cannot be changed with discussion or thought is just about the saddest thing I've ever read from you. You're telling us that you read something, form an opinion, and that's the end of it. This is how fool's brains work, OS.

So...you're not gaslighting. Understand that this means you're here to troll....you're not here to discuss things, and exchange ideas with the notion of gaining a better understanding of our world.

You're here to troll now, after having actual discussions before Trump showed up. Which is why 99% of your posts are "Dems/libs are bad", and the last 1%, you're lecturing the class about military hardware.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Proud again of my College's handling of this challenge:

Office of the President
Dear Dartmouth community,

Last night, approximately 90 people, including many unaffiliated with Dartmouth as well as students and faculty here, were removed from the Green by police after declining several opportunities to stage their protest in a manner consistent with Dartmouth’s policies. Protestors pitched a “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” and physically prevented its removal despite multiple opportunities to avoid arrest.

This year, there have been more than 15 peaceful protests on our campus. Last night, people felt so strongly about their beliefs that they were willing to face disciplinary action and arrest. While there is bravery in that, part of choosing to engage in this way is not just acknowledging—but accepting—that actions have consequences.

Our long-standing policies limit the time, place, and manner where protests can occur. They prohibit encampments or the occupation of buildings that interfere with the academic mission or increase safety risks to members of our community. When policies like these have been ignored on other campuses, hate and violence have thrived—events, like commencement, are canceled, instruction is forced to go remote, and, worst of all, abhorrent antisemitism and Islamophobia reign.

Protest and demonstration are important forms of speech. Yet, we cannot let differences of opinion become an excuse for disrupting our amazing sense of place and the lived experience of our campus. And, most importantly, our opinions—no matter how strongly they are held—can never be used to justify taking over Dartmouth’s shared spaces and effectively rendering them places only for people who hold one specific ideology. This is exclusionary at best and, at its worst, as we have seen on other campuses in recent days, can turn quickly into hateful intimidation where Jewish students feel unsafe.

The protesters demanded that the Dartmouth Board of Trustees hold a vote on divesting its endowment from companies connected to Israel despite the fact that the Board has a clearly articulated process for considering such decisions, which was explained to student protesters. I am a deep believer in free speech. Dartmouth’s freedom of expression and dissent policy also defends this right. However, Dartmouth’s endowment is not a political tool, and using it to take sides on such a contested issue is an extraordinarily dangerous precedent to set. It runs the risk of silencing academic debate, which is inconsistent with our mission.

We do not agree on everything, and this is not the goal. But we all have a responsibility to foster and contribute to a community where we can enjoy open, civil discussions on any topic, regardless of the complexity or difficulty of the subject matter.

Let us work together as we continue to foster dialogue and understanding on this complex, emotionally charged conflict.

Sincerely,
Sian Leah Beilock
President
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:49 am

These are students. If they disagree with how their university invests their money, then transfer to another university. Students can express their outrage all day long. They can't demand how the university should spend their money. I mean they can demand all day long. The university leadership will politely tell them to go pound sand. Sadly these young skulls full of liberal mush think people in charge where they attend classes actually care what they think. They already have their money 🤑🤑🤑
Such protests DID work re South Africa and apartheid. And had a significant impact re Vietnam.

Brown University has ended its protests with an agreement to explore divestment. I suspect that most major universities will eventually adopt divestment policies as well, as long as this government with this set of expansionist policies continues to hold power in Israel. Feels pretty inevitable.

However, I don’t think this objective removes accountability for criminal behavior by protesters whether on college campuses or anywhere else.
Vietnam was directly related to the USA. The war with Israel vs Hamas is actually none of our business. After the US was attacked on 9/11 how we dealt with the attack was nobody elses business but our own. Hamas started this war on October 7 with the most brutal, heinous and barbaric attacks on young people not that much different than the

DEATH TO ISRAEL ☠️

DEATH TO AMERICA ☠️

College students of 2024...
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

Vietnam was directly related to the USA. The war with Israel vs Hamas is actually none of our business. After the US was attacked on 9/11 how we dealt with the attack was nobody elses business but our own. Hamas started this war on October 7 with the most brutal, heinous and barbaric attacks on young people not that much different than the

DEATH TO ISRAEL ☠️

DEATH TO AMERICA ☠️

We fund Israel militarily. That's why they're making a fuss, Cradle.

They're too daft to understand what would happen if America & Co. publicly isolated Israel. I learned LONG ago that this "from the river to the sea" crew aren't interested in solving problems. They just want to make themselves feel like superheroes......and they they have knowledge that others don't, and that they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

Same attitude you get from TrumpNation. It's fruit from the same tree, Cradle.

That said, there are plenty of folks protesting who just want the bloodshed to end, and are happy to have a dialogue about the conflict.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:46 am

DEATH TO ISRAEL ☠️

DEATH TO AMERICA ☠️

They're too daft to understand what would happen if America & Co. publicly isolated Israel. I learned LONG ago that this "from the river to the sea" crew aren't interested in solving problems. They just want to make themselves feel like superheroes......and they they have knowledge that others don't, and that they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

That said, there are plenty of folks protesting who just want the bloodshed to end, and are happy to have a dialogue about the conflict.
Makes you wonder why Qatar is funding so much of American Universities. And yet, the message is that we fund Israel military....I'd argue the former, would be a more rational explanation of why this chaos has insued and the administrations are in lockstep with the mobs. Wanna know why......that money we send Israel (which is the argument for the current protests), does not make it to the Universities.

https://isgap.org/follow-the-money/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

I can’t wait for Trump to return to office and restore order.
Typical Lax Dad

Remember Grenada!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Roughly half of the 282 total people arrested at Columbia and CCNY were not affiliated with the schools, NYPD says
From CNN's John Miller
Out of the total 282 people arrested at both Columbia University and the City College of New York on Tuesday, 134 individuals were not affiliated with either school, according to a New York Police Department official who shared the breakdown with CNN. The remaining 148 individuals did have an affiliation with one of the two universities.

Broken down by school, the numbers skew a bit differently — 80 people arrested at Columbia did have an affiliation with the Ivy League university, while only 32 did not, according to the official. Those numbers represent arrests both inside and outside Hamilton Hall.

At CCNY, the breakdown was flipped —102 people arrested were not affiliated with the school and only 68 were affiliated.

The NYPD said it was able to determine this data by cross-checking records with the universities.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:31 pm

DEATH TO ISRAEL ☠️

DEATH TO AMERICA ☠️

Makes you wonder why Qatar is funding so much of American Universities. And yet, the message is that we fund Israel military....I'd argue the former, would be a more rational explanation of why this chaos has insued and the administrations are in lockstep with the mobs. Wanna know why......that money we send Israel (which is the argument for the current protests), does not make it to the Universities.

... let's not mention that Israel provides the funding for ISGAP or that some of their claims are disputed.
In 2023, ISGAP published a report claiming that Texas A&M’s Qatar campus was being used by the Qatari government for nuclear research. Following that, Texas A&M contract with the Qatar Foundation fell under jeopardy. The Texas A&M System Board of Regents voted to authorize A&M President Mark A. Welsh III to terminate the contract and close the campus by 2028. However, Welsh stated that the campus is not involved in any nuclear research and that ISGAP’s claims were “false and irresponsible”. ISGAP’s credibility was questioned and it was also accused of falsely targeting the faculty members named in its report.[7] In 2018, ISGAP was also alleged of being paid $445,000 by Israel, which was nearly 80% of its revenue that year.[8]
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:07 pm Roughly half of the 282 total people arrested at Columbia and CCNY were not affiliated with the schools, NYPD says
From CNN's John Miller
Out of the total 282 people arrested at both Columbia University and the City College of New York on Tuesday, 134 individuals were not affiliated with either school, according to a New York Police Department official who shared the breakdown with CNN. The remaining 148 individuals did have an affiliation with one of the two universities.

Broken down by school, the numbers skew a bit differently — 80 people arrested at Columbia did have an affiliation with the Ivy League university, while only 32 did not, according to the official. Those numbers represent arrests both inside and outside Hamilton Hall.

At CCNY, the breakdown was flipped —102 people arrested were not affiliated with the school and only 68 were affiliated.

The NYPD said it was able to determine this data by cross-checking records with the universities.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:09 pm

DEATH TO ISRAEL ☠️

DEATH TO AMERICA ☠️

... let's not mention that Israel provides the funding for ISGAP or that some of their claims are disputed.
In 2023, ISGAP published a report claiming that Texas A&M’s Qatar campus was being used by the Qatari government for nuclear research. Following that, Texas A&M contract with the Qatar Foundation fell under jeopardy. The Texas A&M System Board of Regents voted to authorize A&M President Mark A. Welsh III to terminate the contract and close the campus by 2028. However, Welsh stated that the campus is not involved in any nuclear research and that ISGAP’s claims were “false and irresponsible”. ISGAP’s credibility was questioned and it was also accused of falsely targeting the faculty members named in its report.[7] In 2018, ISGAP was also alleged of being paid $445,000 by Israel, which was nearly 80% of its revenue that year.[8]
:lol: :lol:

:roll: Then just google Qatar Funding College and find a link that you can agree with.....there are plenty out there. We know where you stand, so my guess is that the findings will hurt.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:21 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:09 pm

DEATH TO ISRAEL ☠️

DEATH TO AMERICA ☠️

:lol: :lol:

:roll: Then just google Qatar Funding College and find a link that you can agree with.....there are plenty out there. We know where you stand, so my guess is that the findings will hurt.
... sure just right-wing propaganda. Like Qatar is the only country which provides funds to US colleges and universities. You want to prove your allegation, you provide the source. Do better next time.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:36 pm

Remember Grenada!
I remember that it's on your travel list if I'm not mistaken!

Joe
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:07 pm Roughly half of the 282 total people arrested at Columbia and CCNY were not affiliated with the schools, NYPD says
From CNN's John Miller

These protests are freaking tiny. A TINY percentage of students are doing this. Yet shockingly, the media desperately wants to make it sound like every college kid in America has lost their minds.

Clickbait.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:03 pm
From CNN's John Miller

These protests are freaking tiny. A TINY percentage of students are doing this. Yet shockingly, the media desperately wants to make it sound like every college kid in America has lost their minds.

Clickbait.
Yup, Columbia University has more than 36,000 total students, 8,832 undergrads. 80 arrests.
For some of our less mathematically inclined, that would be less than 1% if all undergrads, and less than 0.25% of all students...of course, there are more that are sympathetic to the cause of the protests, but that doesn't mean they are protesting in a violent or threatening way deserving of arrest.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:10 pm
From CNN's John Miller

Clickbait.
Yup, Columbia University has more than 36,000 total students, 8,832 undergrads. 80 arrests.
For some of our less mathematically inclined, that would be less than 1% if all undergrads, and less than 0.25% of all students...of course, there are more that are sympathetic to the cause of the protests, but that doesn't mean they are protesting in a violent or threatening way deserving of arrest.
And no bombs in the Admissions office. Check the stats for 1970-1971 for a neat comparison.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:10 pm
From CNN's John Miller

Clickbait.
And no bombs in the Admissions office. Check the stats for 1970-1971 for a neat comparison.
A lot of broken chairs and broken windows and if your Jewish alot of broken dreams.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.

Return to “POLITICS”