Boston College Red Bandanna

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

Boston College Red Bandanna

Post by xxxxxxx »

Two weeks ago I was watching the BC Football game and they have made a cottage industry about the Red Bandanna. Jerseys, shoes, T-shirts, selling apparel etc.

Obviously, Wells was a hero in every sense of the word and I have tremendous respect for him and his family.

Maybe its me but I feel like they are using him while dropping the lacrosse program he played for, it seems very disingenuous. I guess like everything else in college sports Cash is what matter the most.
Njlaxx11

Re: Boston College Red Bandanna

Post by Njlaxx11 »

What Welles did is much bigger than lacrosse.
gmen1986

Post by gmen1986 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:46 pm Two weeks ago I was watching the BC Football game and they have made a cottage industry about the Red Bandanna. Jerseys, shoes, T-shirts, selling apparel etc.

Obviously, Wells was a hero in every sense of the word and I have tremendous respect for him and his family.

Maybe its me but I feel like they are using him while dropping the lacrosse program he played for, it seems very disingenuous. I guess like everything else in college sports Cash is what matter the most.
i remember reading this post 2 years ago on here and thinking thats wild no shot.. then I saw that theres a red bandana baseball game for "red bandana weekend ". looks like the 1st of its kind

Took me a while to find this, but i've come around to your take. Its def become more marketing. Do they have a red bandana varsity mens lacrosse game? didn't they drop lacrosse so that they could be competitive in the ACC for baseball?
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

gmen1986 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:05 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:46 pm Two weeks ago I was watching the BC Football game and they have made a cottage industry about the Red Bandanna. Jerseys, shoes, T-shirts, selling apparel etc.

i remember reading this post 2 years ago on here and thinking thats wild no shot.. then I saw that theres a red bandana baseball game for "red bandana weekend ". looks like the 1st of its kind

Took me a while to find this, but i've come around to your take. Its def become more marketing. Do they have a red bandana varsity mens lacrosse game? didn't they drop lacrosse so that they could be competitive in the ACC for baseball?
I believe former Boston College Athletic Director Gene DeFilippo dropped the men's lacrosse team. He was the AD at Villanova from '93-'97, but left allegedly disgruntled because Nova declined the Big East invitation to move up from FCS football and join the BE football conference. Apparently, while at BC he was in conversations with the ACC commissioner to vacate the BE.

If my recollection is correct, the was not a supporter of lacrosse. Ironically, his son went to Radnor HS.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I know this is an obvious point, but reviving the D1 mens lacrosse program at BC would be a tremendous - tremendous - addition to the sport. Sixth ACC school. Right in a hotbed. Would match the excellent women's program. Ready made fanbase given the demographics of the school. It would just perfect in so many ways.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:30 am I know this is an obvious point, but reviving the D1 mens lacrosse program at BC would be a tremendous - tremendous - addition to the sport. Sixth ACC school. Right in a hotbed. Would match the excellent women's program. Ready made fanbase given the demographics of the school. It would just perfect in so many ways.
I know some key former lacrosse BC alumni tried to get this going a few years ago. Old AD put out a crazy high number that the alumni would have to raise. Other issue is by adding men’s lax - it would probably be a Title IX issue.

I’m not sure if that was the issue with former AD. Speculating that he said to alumni that the money they would be raising would also go to adding a new women’s sport.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

gmen1986 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:05 pm

I can't allow myself to be so pessimistic - at least about this.

Boston College organizations sponsor various Red Bandanna events throughout the year, including the football and baseball teams' Red Bandanna games and BC's annual Red Bandanna 5K. All those red bandannas sold and seen at those events are sold with proceeds going to the Welles Remy Crowther Charitable Trust. More information about the trust, the charities it helps sponsor, and a store where red bandannas and other items can be bought with proceeds going to the trust can be found at https://www.crowthertrust.org/
DMac

Post by DMac »

BC just needs to follow the women's lead, six consecutive years they've made it to NC day.
They had a red bandana day (nice uniforms for the occasion) v ND this year. Naturally they chose
that day to get their second loss of the season (still only have two loses), lost 14-15. Ya just
can't lose on Red Bandana Day.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”