SE Pennsylvania 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
dislaxxic

SE Pennsylvania 2019

Post by dislaxxic »

When last we visited, there was a lot of discussion about new coaches.

Any more movement to report?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Re: SE Pennsylvania 2019

Post by dislaxxic »

Had a LOT of good repartie in this thread before...where IS everybody? Are we too far away from the season to get the juices flowing?

I see that the Upper Dublin Fall League starts play this Sunday at Sparks fields...they have consistently drawn a nice field of fallball teams...what OTHER fall leagues are firing up in our area??

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Rob Forester to Penn...brother Jack has taken the reigns at ANC...looks like Abington's best players may still migrate...

Anybody know who is taking the helm at Upper Dublin in place of the departing Coach Sowers?

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

OK, heard over the weekend that Pat Lacon, former LCHS JV head coach has been named the new head coach at Upper Dublin...sounds like a solid hire for UD. Any input on Coach Lacon?

Bluewhitex2

Post by Bluewhitex2 »

Pat Lacon is a good guy who all the kids loved. Learned under some of the best around. Wishing him the best!
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Coaching jobs open in SE PA

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

NXT Tournament in West Chester next weekend...Nov. 4th.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Updated SE PA coaching vacancies

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

IL Preps is tracking HS games now that LP has hung up their cleats.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/highschool
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Speaking of coaching changes, it will be very interesting to see how the transition process works out for the Haverford School. Having two head coaches on the same staff (one in his last season and one just starting at Haverford) should be very interesting. While the senior class will most likely be loyal to Nostrant, the younger players will naturally gravitate towards the new guy. The loss of long-time veteran assistant coach Paul Ogrady to Malvern Prep will only compound the issues.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that Nostrant’s successor is a graduate of West Chester East, as opposed to either one of the Interac Schools or an MIAA school. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). Oftentimes schools are so focused on an applicant’s “pedigree” that his actual talents are overlooked.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

The Interac teams have been holding try-outs and practice this week while the PIAA teams do not start practice until this-coming Monday.

A local public school teacher/high school lacrosse fan recently told me that she plans to be at the Interac schools on the days that they announce cuts from their lacrosse teams and intends to offer the unsuccessful candidates a complete “free ride” to his local public school. If necessary to close the deal, she will also offer the student free books and free daily transportation to and from school.

In looking ahead at some schedules, I see that WCEast will be traveling to North Carolina over Spring break and will play one game in Duke’s lax stadium and a second game on UNC’s field. Sounds like a great trip. Go Vikings.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Anybody know what happened to Tanner McAlpine (GK from Hempfield) at York College? Doesn’t show in their roster this year. His dad is now Hempfield head coach.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
PhishFall97

Post by PhishFall97 »

anyone know where Jack Wilson (Radnor '15) is attending? Do not see him on the UMD roster...
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I was at the Dome last weekend for Syracuse v Virginia. The first three goals of the game in Virginia’s 15-14 OT win were scored by a pair of Garnet a Valley Jaguars. Jacob Buttermore (3,0) for Syracuse sandwiching Matt Moore for Virginia (2,0).

Garnet has had some good teams and players over the years, but falling short in PIAA. It would sure be nice for a legend like Frank Urso get get his rewards.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Last Saturday I watched the Ridley-WCEast scrimmage and was more than a little surprised to see that the Green Raiders are a mere shadow of their former selves. I was hoping that Ridley’s failure to make the PIAA playoffs was a one year aberration, but it looks like Ridley fans are in for another long season in the Central League.

WCEast, in the other hand appears to be on the verge of having one of its best seasons in recent memory. On offense they moved the ball well and committed very few unforced errors. I believe that 6 or 7 different players scored for the Vikings. Although they were missing two of their starting defenders (one was preparing for the state swimming championships and the other is on the ice hockey team which is in the playoffs) the Vikings seemed to communicate well and had no trouble clearing the ball. Although the Vikings’ goalie is just a sophmore, he started every game as a freshman and has continued to develop into a nice player. If the Vikes can avoid injuries, they will certainly be competitive in the Chesmont league this season.

Yesterday I was able to get to Malvern Prep to watch a 3-way scrimmage involving the Friars, Strath Haven and Parkland. The teams played 25 minute half’s with a running clock and in the first game strath Haven moved the ball well but struggled to score against Malver’s defense. Based on what I had seen last Saturday, Strath Haven is head and shoulders better that Ridley.

In the middle game Strath Haven’s JV team completely dominated Parkland’s JV team. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Strath Haven has some solid 9th graders, particularly on offense. One attackman in particular had very impressive foot speed and stick skills.

In the 3rd game Malvern completely dominated Parkland. Although I was told by a Parkland parent that they have 16 returning seniors with significant game and club experience, I would have never have suspected it by watching the game. Malvern won the opening faceoff and scored within the first 15 seconds and it was completely downhill from there for Parkland. Malvern won every single faceoff and contested ground ball and within the first 5 minutes the Friars were up 7-0. The scrimmage was so one-sided that Parkland went the entire first half without getting a single shot on Malvern’s goalie. Even when one of the Malvern players was whistled for a penalty and Parkland was given the ball for a free-start at midfield, Parkland could only manage two passes before throwing the ball out of bounds on an unforced error. While I understand that Parkland has a new coach and that they have had a limited opportunity to practice outdoors because of the weather, I am afraid that they are going to be in for a long season in District 11.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Malvern 8, Mt. St. Joes 3. Nothing like starting the season with a win over a team from the MIAA.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Haverford at LaSalle today (3/22)...4pm...

Would love a game report if anybody goes...

Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

I watched the WcEast- Coatesville game on Friday afternoon and while the game was not very competitive, I was happy to see that the Coatesville program is starting to come together. According to the Coatesville parents that I spoke to, the Boys’ lacrosse program there is technically operating as a club program this season but the School District has committed to making it an official varsity sport next year. It’s always nice to see a new program come into existence.

It was also nice to see the Vikings’s coach, Jim Schorn, call off the dogs before the end of the first quarter. Although several of the Coatesville parents were complaining about the Vikings offense spending several minutes working the ball around the perimeter, it was obvious to me that Coach Schorn was doing his best to avoid running up the score. The Vikings substituted liberally begining in the second quarter and I suspect that if the JV team had not been scheduled to play the second game, many of the Vikings JV players would have gotten a significant amount of playing time in the second half of the varsity game.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Malvern Prep over Wilson 13-4. The Friars jumped out to an early lead and completely dominated face offs, making it nearly impossible for Wilson to make a comeback.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Unionville over OJR 11 to 10. Unionville had a 3 to 4 goal lead throughout most of the game but the Wildcats rallied late in the 4 th quarter and nearly tied the game at the end of regulation. The Unionville boys looked strong in the first half but seemed to lose focus mid way through the 3rd quarter. If Unionville’s faceoff guy had not won at least 75% of the face offs, the outcome of the game could have been much different.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”